ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by Firthy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:29 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:04 pm
I struggle with pondering :D
That's fairly obvious by your decision not to buy one :lol:
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 546 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:52 pm

Page 91 yeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaa
These 3 users liked this post: gawthorpe_view FactualFrank longsidepies

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2004 times
Has Liked: 3336 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:13 pm

It strikes me that SD wouldn't necessarily have a problem with Garlick staying on in some capacity, as long it doesn't involve him signing off on transfers and contracts any more. That's where the issues have arisen and if Dyche knows he doesn't have to get targets past Garlick I'd assume he'd be ok with him remaining.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:16 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:13 pm
It strikes me that SD wouldn't necessarily have a problem with Garlick staying on in some capacity, as long it doesn't involve him signing off on transfers and contracts any more. That's where the issues have arisen and if Dyche knows he doesn't have to get targets past Garlick I'd assume he'd be ok with him remaining.
I think the problems are more deep seated than that. My brother once ended up with two dogs but dog number one protected her territory. In the end, for some time, he had to keep them in different rooms. Maybe that's the answer.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:31 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:04 pm
That was a wild night - I was up at the back of the old Gene Kelly and it felt like you were on the Big One you were getting thrown that much. Aboslute farce of a game but when Christian Kalvenes scored it justified Lee Mason's decision not to abandon it.
Remember the Beast having a few problems taking goalkicks.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:31 pm
Remember the Beast having a few problems taking goalkicks.
One goalkick in particular :D
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Dark Cloud

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:36 pm

They wouldn’t need to fund BJs testimonial again.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:16 pm
I think the problems are more deep seated than that. My brother once ended up with two dogs but dog number one protected her territory. In the end, for some time, he had to keep them in different rooms. Maybe that's the answer.
Replacing them with dogs?
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Leisure
Been Liked: 3787 times
Has Liked: 12479 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:33 pm
One goalkick in particular :D
The one that took about 5 minutes? ;)

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:30 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:13 pm
If i was to invest circa £200m into a business venture that was relatively new to me, i would want a safe pair of hands up there with me, certainly untill i knew the ropes. Therefore i would insist upon the two top men ( SD + MG ) to see me through the transition period.

SD got Burnley into the PL and certainly helped us stay in the PL, but there becomes a point whereby, with good boardroom management, quite a few managers can keep that team in the PL.

I would also look at the stock on the shelves ( players ) and plan accordingly. That, in my book would be to cull the dead wood ( which is what MG did the end of last season ) and to look at what is up and coming, that would involve bringing Gibson back.

If either of the two don't can't accept the new owners plan then one or both have to go. I can only remember one manager walking, and that was our friend N Pearson.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:47 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:30 pm
If i was to invest circa £200m into a business venture that was relatively new to me, i would want a safe pair of hands up there with me, certainly untill i knew the ropes. Therefore i would insist upon the two top men ( SD + MG ) to see me through the transition period.

SD got Burnley into the PL and certainly helped us stay in the PL, but there becomes a point whereby, with good boardroom management, quite a few managers can keep that team in the PL.

I would also look at the stock on the shelves ( players ) and plan accordingly. That, in my book would be to cull the dead wood ( which is what MG did the end of last season ) and to look at what is up and coming, that would involve bringing Gibson back.

If either of the two don't can't accept the new owners plan then one or both have to go. I can only remember one manager walking, and that was our friend N Pearson.
I agree with pretty much all of that and I would like to think that those 2 most important characters in our amazing 8 year journey would if not bury it, at least put the hatchet in a cupboard temporarily for the greater good and remain in place in some capacity to smooth the transition, but CT (for one) seems to believe that's extremely unlikely. I also agree re Gibson and have said on here before that assuming that selling Tarks either in January (unlikely) or the summer (extremely likely) is going to happen, then building bridges with Gibson would make more sense than searching the country for a suitable replacement imo.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:55 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:14 pm
The one that took about 5 minutes? ;)
That was the one when we came close to the game being abandoned.
This user liked this post: Leisure

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:59 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:47 pm
I agree with pretty much all of that and I would like to think that those 2 most important characters in our amazing 8 year journey would if not bury it, at least put the hatchet in a cupboard temporarily for the greater good and remain in place in some capacity to smooth the transition, but CT (for one) seems to believe that's extremely unlikely. I also agree re Gibson and have said on here before that assuming that selling Tarks either in January (unlikely) or the summer (extremely likely) is going to happen, then building bridges with Gibson would make more sense than searching the country for a suitable replacement imo.
Not sure how this has turned to Gibson but has anyone thought that he might not actually be good enough to be a Premier League player.

Whatever caused the problem, it wasn’t him not getting a deadline day move last January. Two weeks before then I was told he wouldn’t play for the club again.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:03 pm

The same Gibson who was very highly rated after his PL season with Boro and was touted for England?

I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and another chance in the PL, but I also suspect he will be back in the PL with or without Burnley.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2757 times
Has Liked: 4324 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:05 pm

You would hope the club considered him good enough for the Premier League when they made him our record signing

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:06 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:03 pm
The same Gibson who was very highly rated after his PL season with Boro and was touted for England?

I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and another chance in the PL, but I also suspect he will be back in the PL with or without Burnley.
Agreed, he’ll be back with Norwich.

I’d give him a go but cannot see it happening in a million years while Dyche/Woan are here.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:17 pm

Lancs Live reporting that Dyche doesnt appear to be being kept in the loop with regards to how the takeover is progressing. They quote him...
"There is more noise out there about possible takeovers, I don't know where that is at. That is slightly peculiar given I have been manager here for eight years but I don't."

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:18 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:47 pm
I can see nonayforever’s point, and ordinarily there would be a transition/earn out period negotiated, but if CT is correct that SD/MG’s relationship is fractured, I think ALK will need to chose one or the other. For me, it’s the man managing the team that’s the most important to secure and incentivise. ALK seem to recognise that with their Kettering company.

Retaining Neil Hart will mitigate the loss of MG and hopefully they ask a few of our experienced board members to stay on in NED roles.

As for the deadwood, I’d be very careful about an overhaul. Team dynamics are a strange thing and wholesale changes can have a negative impact. To us, Hart, Lennon & Hendrick may have been disposable from a team perspective, but who knows what impact they had on the dressing room and Barnfield? Besides it feeling much quieter now, I think that level of change in one go can have a negative impact.

I’d bring 2 in January (quality), same in summer, then offload one max. Let the new guys bed in and sign exit any others following summer.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:19 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:17 pm
Lancs Live reporting that Dyche doesnt appear to be being kept in the loop with regards to how the takeover is progressing. They quote him...
"There is more noise out there about possible takeovers, I don't know where that is at. That is slightly peculiar given I have been manager here for eight years but I don't."
Very odd and poor leadership if true and not just a deflection tactic for the media.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:22 pm

All fine and I see the sense in that New claret, BUT Garlick is the guy holding all the cards just now and although from our point of view we'd sooner see him go than Dyche, he's the one in the best position to barter himself a future place at the club.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:23 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:18 pm
I can see nonayforever’s point, and ordinarily there would be a transition/earn out period negotiated, but if CT is correct that SD/MG’s relationship is fractured, I think ALK will need to chose one or the other. For me, it’s the man managing the team that’s the most important to secure and incentivise. ALK seem to recognise that with their Kettering company.

Retaining Neil Hart will mitigate the loss of MG and hopefully they ask a few of our experienced board members to stay on in NED roles.

As for the deadwood, I’d be very careful about an overhaul. Team dynamics are a strange thing and wholesale changes can have a negative impact. To us, Hart, Lennon & Hendrick may have been disposable from a team perspective, but who knows what impact they had on the dressing room and Barnfield? Besides it feeling much quieter now, I think that level of change in one go can have a negative impact.

I’d bring 2 in January (quality), same in summer, then offload one max. Let the new guys bed in and sign exit any others following summer.
What about the 6 or 7 who are out of contract this summer? As well as Tarks who is almost certain to be leaving. I'm not sure we have any option but to be busy in the transfer market really.

bodge
Been Liked: 729 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by bodge » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:24 pm

The quote from Lancs Live is from today's press conference, you can watch it on You tube - it's just gone on there.

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:28 pm

Bit of a concerning comment that from Dyche.

Claret Till I Die
Been Liked: 1141 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by Claret Till I Die » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:30 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Isn't that from a few weeks ago ?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:35 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:23 pm
What about the 6 or 7 who are out of contract this summer? As well as Tarks who is almost certain to be leaving. I'm not sure we have any option but to be busy in the transfer market really.
Yes we've got several out of contract this summer, and also Gibson & Tarks might well move on, perhaps even Dwight if a big bid comes in, so I agree we'll have a big squad overhaul next summer whether we like it or not, and that will be the case no matter what league we are in, now it's possible that some of the under 23's will emerge, Benson and Dunne are 2 that could certainly be more than useful at Championship level, should we happen to take the drop, but either way we'll have to bring at least 4/5 new faces in, ideally that would start in January, but some players might be reluctant at moving to a team in the bottom 3, and this is why we should have strengthened in the summer when we would have been a more attractive prospect for any incomers.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:38 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:30 pm
Isn't that from a few weeks ago ?
Its from todays Press Conference , as pointed out by Bodge

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:39 pm

PremierLeagueClass wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:28 pm
Either

a) a deflection tactic. Most likely given the Kettering link. I doubt any new owners would set up a company in the name of his birth town without speaking to him.

b) a very worrying insight to how far the relationships have fractured at the club.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:40 pm

Typical Garlick, not keeping Dyche in the loop.

The sooner he gets his money and clears off, the better.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:46 pm

I’m thinking about buying a football club, it’s easy according to so many on here...

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:52 pm

Why would the team manager be kept
In the loop regarding ownership of the club? It’s got nothing to do with Dyche whatsoever

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:59 pm

Shaggy wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:52 pm
In the loop regarding ownership of the club? It’s got nothing to do with Dyche whatsoever
Common courtesy ?
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:02 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:18 pm

Hi New, you do know that Non-Executive Directors have the full authority of all directors - a NED just doesn't have an Executive role.

Be interesting to see how ALK organise things. I'd be surprised, based on what we know about ALK, if Alan Pace isn't the Chairman on Day One.

Exciting times.

UTC

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:02 pm

Shaggy wrote:
It’s got everything to do with Dyche. He is the glue that is currently holding a 200m valued business together and will be the glue that determines whether or not it will be a success. He absolutely should be being kept in the loop.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:02 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
And do you honestly believe that? He’s not going to tell them where things are. That’s the publication who yesterday still thought Elkashashy & Farnell were favourites.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1882 times
Has Liked: 840 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:03 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:38 pm
Its from todays Press Conference , as pointed out by Bodge
Absolutely bizarre this and hadn’t realised Dyche had said this at the press conference today. Sure the new owners will have realised there is no way that both of them can stay on at the club.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:04 pm

Shaggy wrote:
Probably because he’s very much part of their plans. Don’t worry, he’s in the loop. Sometimes people just can’t say what they know.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:04 pm

PremierLeagueClass wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:28 pm
It is, but it is not surprising. All negotioations with ALK will be via Garlick who has fallen out with Dyche. ALK will not be able to contact Dyche directly until business is concluded.

I also agree with the comments above about keeping MG + JB around for guidance during an interim period. That is pretty standard succession planning for director level roles.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:05 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:02 pm
And do you honestly believe that? He’s not going to tell them where things are. That’s the publication who yesterday still thought Elkashashy & Farnell were favourites.
Its from todays Press Conference.Lancs Live are merely one of the media outlets reporting it. As Bodge points out the Press Confetence where he says it is now on the clubs official YouTube channel.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:06 pm

[*]
Steddyman wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:04 pm
ALK will not be able to contact Dyche directly until business is concluded.
Do you seriously believe that?

clarethomer
Been Liked: 944 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:06 pm

Seen this on FB.
129001708_690800821576296_5848937493800385367_n.jpg
129001708_690800821576296_5848937493800385367_n.jpg (26.68 KiB) Viewed 2624 times

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:07 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:02 pm
Hi New, you do know that Non-Executive Directors have the full authority of all directors - a NED just doesn't have an Executive role.

Be interesting to see how ALK organise things. I'd be surprised, based on what we know about ALK, if Alan Pace isn't the Chairman on Day One.

Exciting times.

UTC
Yes, exactly what I’d expect too Paul.

I’d imagine that the vast majority of decisions will have been on hold pending this takeover, so can’t see that retaining MG gives much value.

I’d just make one or two trusted Board members salaried NED’s for short-term (1 year?) continuity.

It will be exciting times... if it happens this side of January !!! :? :?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:07 pm

:oops:
randomclaret2 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:05 pm
Its from todays Press Conference.Lancs Live are merely one of the media outlets reporting it. As Bodge points out the Press Confetence where he says it is now on the clubs official YouTube channel.
What do you expect him to say at a press conference? Bloody hell, I can’t believe some of you.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:07 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:59 pm
Common courtesy ?
Need to know basis. If the takeover proceeds, the transaction is MG and JB are selling their shares - and maybe the same for other shareholders. Sean Dyche is the club's football manager. He's not a director, he's not a shareholder. No need for SD to know the ins and outs of takeover discussions. I'm sure he understands this even though he may be a little frustrated by the club''s ownership situation impacting on the team's resources and results.

UTC

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:07 pm
It will be exciting times... if it happens this side of January !!! :? :?
I’ll be hugely surprised if it doesn’t happen this side of January

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:19 pm
Very odd and poor leadership if true and not just a deflection tactic for the media.
Yes, I agree. Definitely odd.
That quote is hard to decipher.
Obviously means he isn't in touch with MG but might be in contact behind the scenes.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:09 pm

That 100 page thread is approaching fast
These 2 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm gawthorpe_view

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:10 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:30 pm

I would keep Dyche,ask Garlick to step away and ask Baŕry Kilby to step up and guide the transition period.
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan Dark Cloud mkmel

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:14 pm

The Enclosure wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:10 pm
I would keep Dyche,ask Garlick to step away and ask Baŕry Kilby to step up and guide the transition period.
If Mike Garlick sells you his shares you don't need to ask him to "step away." The sale of his shares means he will be stepping away.

That's not to say there might not be some things to be sorted out after the sale and purchase has been concluded.

And, that's not to rule MG making a new arrangement with ALK for him to be involved in a new capacity. The thing is ALK will be "calling the shots" as soon as MG sells them his shares.

UTC

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:15 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:07 pm
Need to know basis. If the takeover proceeds, the transaction is MG and JB are selling their shares - and maybe the same for other shareholders. Sean Dyche is the club's football manager. He's not a director, he's not a shareholder. No need for SD to know the ins and outs of takeover discussions. I'm sure he understands this even though he may be a little frustrated by the club''s ownership situation impacting on the team's resources and results.

UTC
He isn’t a shareholder, he isn’t a director but he’s someone we are all aware ALK are keen to work with. They have spent time at the training ground in recent weeks. Sean won’t know the ins and outs of the negotiations but make no mistake he knows what’s happening. Sometimes you cannot say what you know.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 636 times

Post by Tribesmen » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:18 pm

If i was buying a company for 200 million i would hope i knew what i was doing and would not want the people who i bought it off hanging around for too long