Danny Ings injured again

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Danny Ings injured again

Post by Bosscat » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:37 am

Got to feel for the lad ... yet another injury v City yesterday. At least he walked off the pitch though.

Hassenhutl says probable "Hamstring"

He doesn't have a lot of luck does he 🙄

RogerBest
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Re: Danny Ings injured again

Post by RogerBest » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:59 am

Danny Ings is an excellent player.

We were lucky to have had him. He contributed massively to getting us promoted.

I wish him well and hope this injury isn't too serious.
These 11 users liked this post: longsidepies Danieljwaterhouse Quicknick NewClaret bobinho claretfern Woodleyclaret DomBFC1882 Giftonsnoidea evensteadiereddie Bosscat

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:38 am

I don’t really get the love in some of us have for ex players who have decided to leave us, he did well for us but he wasn’t doing it out of his goodness of his own heart, he helped us we helped him it’s as simple as that, if he really cared that much he would have stuck around, that said I wish him well as I would do with any normal bloke on the street.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 852 times
Has Liked: 1094 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:46 am

I remember him having a really good pre season with us once and then was injured and out for a long time. I think he could have proved to have been a good player for us a lot sooner but for injuries. Bottling out of that penalty that Matt Taylor took seems to stick in my mind with Ings.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:48 am

Do folk actually believe that 99.999% of players ply their services out of the ‘goodness of their heart’? Of course we take an interest in ex players, especially those that stood out for their talent and commitment when they did represent our club

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:16 am

I never get the love in with Glen Little who more or less walked out on us
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:04 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:16 am
No particular "love in" but certainly an appreciation for one of the most exciting wingers I've ever seen pull on a Claret and Blue shirt. Really got the crowd on their feet when he received the ball during those games in the Championship
These 2 users liked this post: Giftonsnoidea boatshed bill

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:29 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:16 am
He was the definition of an exciting and skillful winger tho and turned his full back inside and out, with him on the ball he was worth the admission fee alone. We need someone like that now. Wood would score for fun with prime Glen in this side .

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:46 pm

Edit - wrong thread.
Last edited by Rileybobs on Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 513 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:54 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:38 am
I don’t really get the love in some of us have for ex players who have decided to leave us, he did well for us but he wasn’t doing it out of his goodness of his own heart, he helped us we helped him it’s as simple as that, if he really cared that much he would have stuck around, that said I wish him well as I would do with any normal bloke on the street.
The only way I can describe it is over their time here players like Blake, Little and Ings gave us as fans somthing that not every player offers, no matter how successful. They give you that excitement, that piece of skill or passage of play that leaves you talking about it for days, they give you memories such as Blake Vs Man U and Ings Vs Blackburn. I'll always wish ex players well, but the ones who gave me that somthing extra, even without meaning too, I will always appreciate.
These 4 users liked this post: jrgbfc chekhov tiger76 Peter Loo

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1852 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:31 pm

I care not who they are, I'll always have a soft spot for anyone who gets the winner against the Undead. 8-)

I wish him well.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2008 times
Has Liked: 2903 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:36 pm

I seem to recall Glen Little being shipped out to Reading on loan when it became clear we were finishing mid table, as part of a money saving exercise. So it was little surprise when he decided to make the move perminant

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1522 times

Post by chekhov » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:45 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:54 pm
The only way I can describe it is over their time here players like Blake, Little and Ings gave us as fans somthing that not every player offers, no matter how successful. They give you that excitement, that piece of skill or passage of play that leaves you talking about it for days, they give you memories such as Blake Vs Man U and Ings Vs Blackburn. I'll always wish ex players well, but the ones who gave me that somthing extra, even without meaning too, I will always appreciate.
That could be a Brian Blessed monologue. Fantastic stuff.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:01 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:36 pm
I seem to recall Glen Little being shipped out to Reading on loan when it became clear we were finishing mid table, as part of a money saving exercise. So it was little surprise when he decided to make the move perminant
He waited 18 months so. I think he upset a few when he did that interview and was asked why he’d stayed at Burnley for that last year and said it was for the money.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:01 pm
He waited 18 months so. I think he upset a few when he did that interview and was asked why he’d stayed at Burnley for that last year and said it was for the money.
I can remember him coming back but not being on top of his game, I remember being disappointed rather than gutted when he left. Do not recall the money comment, but I expect it was flippant. I remember years later him saying his lad had remained a Burnley supporter despite his move away. On his day he was unplayable, but with time passing fans forget the times when he was off form and really was a waste of a shirt at times too. Always have a soft spot for him though at times he was magical.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:17 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:54 pm
I know that I’m not disputing what he did, he did alright out of us & we did alright out of him, he did the job he was paid to do & did the job well, nobody put a gun to his head & forced him away from turf moor that was his choice which he was entitled to make & its my choice to just wish him well without any exaggerated fanfare.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:23 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:08 pm
I can remember him coming back but not being on top of his game, I remember being disappointed rather than gutted when he left. Do not recall the money comment, but I expect it was flippant. I remember years later him saying his lad had remained a Burnley supporter despite his move away. On his day he was unplayable, but with time passing fans forget the times when he was off form and really was a waste of a shirt at times too. Always have a soft spot for him though at times he was magical.
It wasn't flippant, he was being serious and it was on a club interview that he did. He'd been at Reading on loan in 2002/03 and then went to Bolton on loan in 2003/04 when we got Facey & Farrelly in return. We all knew he was going to go to Reading. The club had tried to sell him in summer 2003 because we were desperate for the money but Glen opted to run down his contract which he had every right to do.

At his best he was brilliant, mesmerising, but like a lot of players in that position he was very inconsistent. Then there were the hamstring injuries, it always took him an age to get back to any sort of form from each one. I seem to recall he was coming back from one on Boxing Day 2000 at Barnsley, came on as a sub and then had to come off again. Stan went ballistic with the physio apparently and promptly cancelled Christmas, accusing the players of having had too much plum duff.

But at his best, Glen was terrific.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:41 pm

Loved Glen Little - fantastic player. But if you watch his very entertaining podcast interviews with Sam Parkin it’s abundantly clear that just like all footballers (and nothing wrong with this) Glen was largely motivated by trying to earn the most money he could from football. The only reason he stayed at Burnley for as long as he did was because that was best for him financially - and at the periods it wasn’t he either negotiated a new contract with Stan or tried to leave...or did leave.

As said nothing wrong with that - it’s the same as every footballer has done for the last 20 or 30 years in particular.

As for Danny Ings yes he didn’t play as much for the club as Glen but in terms of quality and contribution to success he was far better IMHO. With Tripps probably the best players I have ever seen in a Burnley shirt...since Trevor Steven.
And we made far more money on Ings than we did on Glen !

As for what he did for charity I can’t believe people think he did that for anything other than genuine reasons. A lot of his local work was not even publicised and he did far more than any other individual in the team he played in. I once saw him up Belvedere for a charity game of football for someone who had passed away. He not only donated loads of stuff for the auction but he was up there all afternoon and early evening just talking to people, getting his picture taken etc. He just stood in the middle of everyone else during the auction and was brilliant with everyone wanting photos and autographs.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:42 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:29 pm
He was the definition of an exciting and skillful winger tho and turned his full back inside and out, with him on the ball he was worth the admission fee alone. We need someone like that now. Wood would score for fun with prime Glen in this side .
Glen Little was never good enough for nothing better than the championship, he was bone idle and had zero pace.

He would not be given the opportunity to beat his full back a dozen times in this league like he was in the championship

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:50 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:42 pm
Glen Little was never good enough for nothing better than the championship, he was bone idle and had zero pace.

He would not be given the opportunity to beat his full back a dozen times in this league like he was in the championship
Think your being a little harsh there. At times it was like the ball was glued to his toe, he could have tormented any defender in the world with his speed of foot... but like I said when he was not on top of his game he was frankly awful.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:52 pm

I try to remember ex players for the good things they've done for us (not always possible), On their day Little, Blake and Ings have been great to watch.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:42 pm

Did well for Reading in the Premier League in 2006/07

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2292 times
Has Liked: 2165 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:40 pm
Did well for Reading in the Premier League in 2006/07
Yes he did, unplayable when they won the league as well to go up

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 3331 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:15 pm

It's true players are paid a fortune and that ultimately it's their job and their livelihood and like most anyone they will go where they can to find the work and to maximise that. However, also like most people there will be places on that "career journey" where they form really close relationships, make good friends, feel an affinity and feel valued and like they belong and prosper mentally rather than simply financially and maybe ultimately find a degree of contentment and happiness which can transcend the money aspects, especially if they've already got shed loads of it. Like everything, it maybe doesn't last forever, but the memories and the affinity do. Ings and Burnley may or may not be an example of this, but I do like to believe they are, just like I like to believe Barton, Vokes, Arfield, Boyd, Heaton and a host of others going back years and years are too. (And especially Saint Glen Little!)

Conroy92
Been Liked: 501 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:53 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:17 pm
I know that I’m not disputing what he did, he did alright out of us & we did alright out of him, he did the job he was paid to do & did the job well, nobody put a gun to his head & forced him away from turf moor that was his choice which he was entitled to make & its my choice to just wish him well without any exaggerated fanfare.
I'm not sure there is any exaggerated fanfare on this thread?
Ings was fantastic for us, as many before have been and many after will!
Not seen any comments suggesting he was a world class player with us or anything over the top?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Conroy92 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:53 pm
I'm not sure there is any exaggerated fanfare on this thread?
Ings was fantastic for us, as many before have been and many after will!
Not seen any comments suggesting he was a world class player with us or anything over the top?
I wish Danny ings all the best for the future, at the end of the day I’d rather back & support present players here & now, me or anybody else going over the top is not going to bring Danny ings back he’s gone. I’ve said I wish him well for the future that should be sufficient, nobody put a gun to his head Danny ings decided to leave off his own steam as I recall it went to a tribunal at the time, I wish all ex players the best even if performed poorly whilst at the club I don’t have any malice to wish people misfortune.
These 2 users liked this post: Stayingup Bosscat

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5069 times
Has Liked: 6839 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:22 pm

I feel sorry for any footballer who sustains an injury that stops them playing. Ings scoring the winner at Deadwood means so much to me that he will always be a hero.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:30 pm

I'm more than happy for Danny to score, as long as it's not against us, and if he continues impressing this reflects well on Burnley as a stepping stone to better things, therefore other potential targets might be more likely to consider joining us in the future.

When you've had Rovers fans ramming it down your throats for decades that they are better than us, and constantly bringing up the fact that we haven't beaten them for a number of years, then of course the guy who bags the winner at Ewood is going to go down in Burnley folklore.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:23 pm

This thread is so out of context owing to a huge number of posts being deleted after the first post,as you can see by the second reply,for those that missed it DI got dogs abuse for being charitable, but no one was allowed to see it

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 2039 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:20 am

Ah well nevermind, he did try to stiff us over his transfer fee to Liverpool!

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1485 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:04 am

Glen was loved by Reading fans , living in Reading I was gutted when he left to sign there,but I guess the lure of the close proximity of the dog track near to the Madstad was too great.
A great player for us and one of our all time best wide players.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:48 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:52 pm
I try to remember ex players for the good things they've done for us (not always possible), On their day Little, Blake and Ings have been great to watch.
My abiding memory of Little is his MOTM performance against a star-studded Spurs side in the LC, when we won 2-1, he was brilliant that night.

Blake has to be the stunner against United, our 1st ever PL goal, and it was a peach of a volley.

Ings has to be the winner at Ewood.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3154 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:52 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:48 pm
My abiding memory of Little is his MOTM performance against a star-studded Spurs side in the LC, when we won 2-1, he was brilliant that night.

Blake has to be the stunner against United, our 1st ever PL goal, and it was a peach of a volley.

Ings has to be the winner at Ewood.
Yes, those and many others.
When they choose to leave, and what they do subsequently shouldn't tarnish the memories.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:04 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:52 pm
Yes, those and many others.
When they choose to leave, and what they do subsequently shouldn't tarnish the memories.
It's a fact of the modern game that very few players remain at the same club for the duration of their careers, now that's not always related to finances, sometimes they find themselves usurped by younger players, or a new manager doesn't fancy them for whatever reason, so it's best for all concerned if they move on, the days of loyalty by either the clubs or the players are sadly long gone, so it's best just to enjoy our players well they are here, and if and when they move on then thank them for the memories, and concentrate on replacing them, no player is ever bigger than the club, whatever some might think, as an example look at Michael Keane he gave us great service throughout his time at Burnley, and ultimately got his reward with a big-money move, we've always been a selling club, even in our glory days of the 60's, that's just a reality for us, but we're not the only ones, look at Leicester they won the league, and yet they still couldn't hold onto some of their stars.