ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Re: ALK Capital or Farnell/Elkashashy takeover

Post by conyoviejo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:57 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:54 pm
I can understand that. I'm nervous about it but also excited because we were heading one way only under the current regime with Dyche certainly not set to be here much longer.
Whatever happens we will all follow the club to our graves. That's the Burnley way .UTC..KTF 8-)
These 2 users liked this post: HB Claret Dark Cloud

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:57 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:57 pm
I get the feeling if Jeff Bezos took over and handed the manager 200 million every transfer window and we went on to win the league certain people would still be unhappy
They definitely wouldn't once we 'd dropped a point

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:05 pm

conyoviejo wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:18 pm
Some people say exciting times ahead ,personally I think more on the lines of worrying times ahead.
I've only ever known Burnley being run by people that care.I hope the new owners do.Fingers crossed.
Hi conyoviejo, most of us on here would care about something we paid £200 for, never mind £200 million.

Exciting times.

UTC

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:08 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:42 pm
I live in America. One of the most corrupt country’s on earth. I know nothing about the buyers either as a company or as individuals. I hope the sellers have done their due diligence then done it again and just for good luck done it again. Hopefully Burnley FC will soon be in the hands of a fine and reputable company who will have nothing but good intent. Time will tell
Hi FCB, I agree with doing your due diligence. However, I feel you need take a look at the rest of the world, USA is not "one of the most corrupt country's (sic) on earth."

Exciting times.

UTC

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:12 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
I get the feeling if Jeff Bezos took over and handed the manager 200 million every transfer window and we went on to win the league certain people would still be unhappy
We would have thousands of threads about Amazon not delivering the parcel they ordered! :o ;)
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:15 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:40 am
Saw this a few weeks ago - worth a watch - it’s about how football clubs are bought

https://youtu.be/3nJemd_Tzcs
There a bit on there about how a deal fell through at the last minute after the buyer wanted to lower the price because the team involved lost.

Lets hope we don't lose the team marooned at the bottom of the table in front of our prospective new owners tonight!

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:12 pm
We would have thousands of threads about Amazon not delivering the parcel they ordered! :o ;)
You missed out your exciting times comment
These 3 users liked this post: Zlatan ksrclaret Paul Waine

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:35 pm

Local cricketer wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:29 pm
You missed out your exciting times comment
Yes, I did think about it. I decided that moaning about Amazon parcel deliveries isn't quite that exciting.... maybe I'm wrong.... ;)

ALK Capital, on the other hand....

Exciting times.

UTC
This user liked this post: mill hill claret

icu81b4
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by icu81b4 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:55 pm

TalkSport saying deal will be complete in 48hrs ... apologies if already posted.

They also mentioned Diago Costa would be a good fit with Barnes.... but doubt he’d move to culture light Burnley from Madrid.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:55 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
I'd be one of them.

There's a line between Burnley today, and becoming a smaller version of Citeh. I have a Citeh mate who still isn't happy with the youngsters that got binned by the Arabs. I wouldn't want to go that far.
If we lost our identity the way they did, then probably many younger fans would be happy, but to people who've watched us rise and fall over the years it would mean the end of an era. The club might be more successful, but it would be hard to identify it as my club.
I'm not a killjoy, it's happening and I want it to work, but leveling the playing field outside of the top 6 is more than enough. I still hope that we can continue the good work in building the youth development and making some of our own stars.
These 2 users liked this post: rincon Dark Cloud

yatesybase
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by yatesybase » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:05 pm

Looks to a few more bodies in the Bob lord executive seats

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:30 pm

We certainly need something to raise our spirits.

It's been a mixture of injuries - awful biased refereeing - followed by another injury.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:58 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:55 pm
I'd be one of them.

There's a line between Burnley today, and becoming a smaller version of Citeh. I have a Citeh mate who still isn't happy with the youngsters that got binned by the Arabs. I wouldn't want to go that far.
If we lost our identity the way they did, then probably many younger fans would be happy, but to people who've watched us rise and fall over the years it would mean the end of an era. The club might be more successful, but it would be hard to identify it as my club.
I'm not a killjoy, it's happening and I want it to work, but leveling the playing field outside of the top 6 is more than enough. I still hope that we can continue the good work in building the youth development and making some of our own stars.
Does your City mate wish they were back in the third division rather than winning trophies?

kilmalley
Been Liked: 80 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by kilmalley » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:06 pm

If all that's been discussed on this thread ends with some money being available to update the. club website then I for one will be a happy fan and supporter.
UTC , a more than happy place, we must all wish for.

edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by edlass » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:23 pm

During the match tonight the commentator said more than once that dyche had been promised money for transfers. How can they know this? Have I missed an ALK statement or something or are they just dressing up the report that ALK want to speak to him?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
I still hope that we can continue the good work in building the youth development and making some of our own stars.
I think you are going to be very happy with their plans Colburn
These 9 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret mill hill claret randomclaret2 NewClaret mybloodisclaret GodIsADeeJay81 mkmel Jimmymaccer longsidepies

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:31 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 pm
You sound very upbeat Tony, you obviously must have the ear of somebody in the know

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:27 pm
Will be fantastic if they have big plans in this regard!
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Another 10 grand a week for Tarkowski, to shut him up. Sergio Aguerto to replace Vydra.
Kieran Trippier for a fiver.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:14 pm

I wouldnt bet on Trippier coming back, and hopefully neither would he.
These 7 users liked this post: NewClaret GaryClaret ClaretTony GodIsADeeJay81 fidelcastro Teamofthe70s JohnMac

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:16 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:53 pm
There's no reason to suspect the new owners have anything other than good intentions, bit like you I'm fingers crossed.
With Mike Garlick we knew where we were, with the takeover we are on a magic carpet ride to God knows where.

Fingers 🤞
I’ve heard enough on here to have a little optimism in respect of the new incumbents. My concern, is the longer term, when it comes time for them to sell.

I hope that the new owners put a strategy in place that protects the club for the long term and are not just seeing is as a short to medium term investment.
Last edited by DCWat on Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:18 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:04 pm
Kieran Trippier for a fiver.
At 10-1?
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 698 times

Post by Bigvince » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:00 pm

Well tonight’s 3 points will surely have delighted our prospective new owners.
This user liked this post: mill hill claret

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:30 pm

icu81b4 wrote:
TalkSport saying deal will be complete in 48hrs ... apologies if already posted.

They also mentioned Diago Costa would be a good fit with Barnes.... but doubt he’d move to culture light Burnley from Madrid.
Costa could live in Stoops, toughen him up a bit.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Teamofthe70s

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:59 pm

Simon Evans, Reuters take on things:

Dyche in the dark as Burnley takeover imminent

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-socce ... KKBN29321M

DECEMBER 29, 20209:54 PMUPDATED 2 HOURS AGO

BURNLEY, England (Reuters) - Burnley manager Sean Dyche said he has had no information about the imminent takeover of the club by American group ALK Capital despite the expectation that the deal will be concluded this week.

The Clarets beat Sheffield United 1-0 on Tuesday to move up 16th place, five points above the relegation zone and before the game Dyche was asked about the impending takeover.

“I haven’t spoken to the chairman or the board about it, I haven’t been offered any insight,” Dyche told Prime Video.

“We will see, until I know different we will just have to wait and see what happens.”

A source close to the bid told Reuters that the Americans had requested permission from the club to speak to Dyche ahead of the completion of the deal in order to identify transfer targets for the January window but their request had not been granted.

The source said the takeover deal should be fully completed ahead of Burnley’s next game against Fulham on Sunday.

Dyche’s relationship with current Burnley chairman and majority shareholder Mike Garlick has been strained over the past year with the manager unhappy at the failure to bring in significant additions to his squad.

Speaking after the victory, Dyche did express hope that he might be able to be more active in the upcoming trading period.

“If the right players at the right price come along, that has always been the model of the club, I don’t know what news is coming but if it does come then I’ll wait and see,” he added.

“But it still doesn’t make it easy, January is a really tough window anyway and you have still got to get the right players.”

Reuters reported in September that ALK were in talks to buy the club and Burnley confirmed in November that they were in discussions with “interested parties”.

ALK Capital is headed by Alan Pace, who has a Wall Street background, having held a senior role with Citigroup after previously working as a managing director for Lehman Brothers.

Pace was president of Major League Soccer club Real Salt Lake and has recently brought football scouting and recruitment technology products to the British market.

The American is expected to move to Lancashire and be a ‘hands on’ owner who will run the day-to-day business of the club.

Exciting times.

UTC
These 2 users liked this post: NewClaret Teamofthe70s

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:06 am

and The Guardian - on MSN

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/transfe ... r-BB1ck0CU:

US finance group ALK Capital closes in on Burnley takeover

The US finance group ALK Capital is expected to complete its takeover of Burnley imminently in a buyout of the club’s two major shareholders which will give the company a near 90% holding.

Richard Garlick, the Burnley chairman, has a 49% share, and the former co-chairman and now director John Banaszkiewicz 28%, with the sale of each of these understood to be close to completion.

Alan Pace, of ALK, was previously interested in buying Sheffield United and is thought to have passed the Premier League owners’ and director’s test ahead of the deal.

If the sale does go through it is unclear if the manager, Sean Dyche, will receive a financial boost to strengthen his squad in the transfer window next month. Burnley are 17th in the Premier League, one place above the relegation zone.

It looks like someone hasn't checked both sides of this story "Richard Garlick...."

The article was published around 5pm, I think we were 17th at the time the report was published.

Exciting times.

UTC

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:42 am

DCWat wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:16 pm
I’ve heard enough on here to have a little optimism in respect of the new incumbents. My concern, is the longer term, when it comes time for them to sell.

I hope that the new owners put a strategy in place that protects the club for the long term and are not just seeing is as a short to medium term investment.
"ALK have a listed office in New York, NY and say they specialize in “acquisition and operations of modern sports, media, and entertainment assets and related technologies” and added that “ALK Capital combines its diverse expertise, experience, and creativity with its investor network to drive growth and maximize business potential while building sustainable companies and value.”" according to NBC Sport.

To get their money back on resale or to make money during their ownership they know they will need to invest to get that growth and reduce both short and long term prospects for getting relegated. I'm pretty sure (without knowing them in any way) they know they aren't buying a club likely to win multiple PL titles or play regularly in European competitions.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:58 am

bfcmik wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:42 am
"ALK have a listed office in New York, NY and say they specialize in “acquisition and operations of modern sports, media, and entertainment assets and related technologies” and added that “ALK Capital combines its diverse expertise, experience, and creativity with its investor network to drive growth and maximize business potential while building sustainable companies and value.”" according to NBC Sport.

To get their money back on resale or to make money during their ownership they know they will need to invest to get that growth and reduce both short and long term prospects for getting relegated. I'm pretty sure (without knowing them in any way) they know they aren't buying a club likely to win multiple PL titles or play regularly in European competitions.
My concern isn’t around what they do whilst here (certainly not at the moment) but more around who they might ultimately sell to.

Their focus will be on returning a profit and that may not be to purchasers that are less palatable.

Hopefully any such concerns are a long way off and ultimately, prove to be unfounded.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:01 am

DCWat wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:58 am
My concern isn’t around what they do whilst here (certainly not at the moment) but more around who they might ultimately sell to.

Their focus will be on returning a profit and that may not be to purchasers that are less palatable.

Hopefully any such concerns are a long way off and ultimately, prove to be unfounded.
as long as we are in the PL then any sale would be subject to the PL tests

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:43 am

watch Dyche's answer at 3 mins 15 in his full post match interview...............astounding

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52038

Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by Sheedyclaret » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:33 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:43 am
watch Dyche's answer at 3 mins 15 in his full post match interview...............astounding

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=52038
Whys it astounding?

Father Jack
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Father Jack » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:49 am

If Pace has passed the directors test, do ALK go through the owners test?
And as a company rather than an individual who & what is being tested?
Will ALK have had to declare where their money is coming from?
Or just to show proof of funding is in place?

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:52 am

DCWat wrote:

To be fair, it’s been abundantly clear that Garlick’s intentions have been to maximise his own profit anyway, hence the chronic lack of transfer activity over multiple windows.

Make no mistake, if the Egyptian had been able to offer more money than ALK, he’d have sold up to them.
Last edited by BurnleyFC on Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:52 am

If the Americans are arriving soon or have already arrived , don’t they have to self isolate for 10 days ?

jtv
Been Liked: 297 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Post by jtv » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:17 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:52 am
To be fair, it’s been abundantly clear that Garlick’s intentions have been to maximise his own profit anyway, hence the chronic lack of transfer activity over multiple windows.
I can't understand why people keep harping on this. Surely 35 million in the bank and 35 million invested in playing assets represent the same value on the balance sheet. Granted that there are wages etc to be taken into account but if we buy assets that appreciate (Gray, Keane, Tarkowski, etc etc) they will make up for this. Of course if we buy aged footballers with no appreciable sell on value.................
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:20 am

Well, there isn't a day goes by without someone saying the team is crying out for pace. Job done.
This user liked this post: Teamofthe70s

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:50 am

Father Jack wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:49 am
Somebody posted a YouTube video called “How to Buy a Football Club” further up. If that is accurate, it sounds as if the ODT amounts to little more than the standard ID and source of funds checks a you might encounter in many other walks of life- eg financial services.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:02 am

yatesybase wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:05 pm
Looks to a few more bodies in the Bob lord executive seats
I know it's not the most lively of stands, but I wasnt aware there are bodies in there :lol:
This user liked this post: NewClaret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:05 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:02 am
I know it's not the most lively of stands, but I wasnt aware there are bodies in there :lol:
:lol:

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:39 am

Father Jack wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:49 am
I brought this up further back in the thread.
I can only assume that the individuals / companies / funds backing ALK have no direct control over the money and have left all decisions to the directors.

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:43 am

Eyres_11 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:14 am
What a load of rubbish.

The guy has taken us to the PL from the Championship - not taken a wage for most of it, given us the brilliant SD and this is what you come out with?

We don't need 'fans' like you.
We need every fan we can get, even those who criticise Mr Garlick.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank mybloodisclaret

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:47 am

randomclaret2 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:43 am
We need every fan we can get, even those who criticise Mr Garlick.
It is a load of rubbish though.

Culmclaret
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by Culmclaret » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:49 am

Reading the match thread from last night we seem to have a low bar for what qualifies as support in any case

randomclaret2

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:03 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:47 am
It is a load of rubbish though.
Thats a matter of opinion. Its not for some fans to decide which other fans the club does or does not " need " We dont live in North Korea.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 10008 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:05 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:52 am
Make no mistake, if the Egyptian had been able to offer more money than ALK, he’d have sold up to them.

Can you substantiate this claim?

holycustard
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by holycustard » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:06 am

Is it true they are bringing Donald Trump in as manager and Mike Pence :shock:
In an interview he said he cant wait to get his war chest so he can carpet bomb Blackburn 8-)
He also added Burnleys very big very massive and were going to win everything :D

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:11 am

Eyres_11 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:14 am
The guy has taken us to the PL from the Championship - not taken a wage for most of it...
He is about to be "rewarded" with approx £100m for his 14 year directorship. Would you feel differently about him if he had taken £7m per year in remuneration? Or, £14m in each of the seasons we have been in the PL? Does he retain his 'good guy' status with you because the money is coming from ALK and not a bank?

I think some people are confused about the difference between supporting a team and supporting a Chairman.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:13 am

Duffer_ wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:11 am
He is about to be "rewarded" with approx £100m for his 14 year directorship. Would you feel differently about him if he had taken £7m per year in remuneration? Or, £14m in each of the seasons we have been in the PL? Does he retain his 'good guy' status with you because the money is coming from ALK and not a bank?

I think some people are confused about the difference between supporting a team and supporting a Chairman.
This obsession that some fans have about Garlick making a return on his investment is weird. He invested in the club, hasn’t taken a penny in return and is now selling up. What exactly is wrong with that?
These 2 users liked this post: cblantfanclub BertiesBeehole

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:16 am

DCWat wrote:
Bloody hell, give them a chance, they haven't even bought the club yet.
This user liked this post: cblantfanclub

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:18 am

Duffer_ wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:11 am

If you disapprove of Garlick because the club is worth more now than when he took over, then presumably by the same token you approve of Bob Lord's later years because the club was an almost-valueless basket case when he died?

If the directors do a good job, then the value of their shares go up. It's a law of nature.

And frankly, I don't see it matters where the money is coming from, as long as - and this is the difference that you haven't picked up on - it isn't coming from BFC. Would it make any difference to BFC is Garlicks gets £100m from a third party rather than taking it out of club funds? I think you know the answer.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole