Purchase a striker in January?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
DCWat
Been Liked: 4142 times
Has Liked: 3604 times

Re: Purchase a striker in January?

Post by DCWat » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:02 am

Our change in approach during the game was frustrating. We started off very well, passing the ball to feet, creating space with movement and were nailed on for a win.

As the game progresses, the passing for longer and less accurate. The ball didn’t stick and it became so much easier for MKD.

I couldn’t see why the style changed, it occurred pre the changes and only got worse.

I think we are lacking in midfield and out wide but for a side that generally doesn’t creat a lot of chances, we really need our strikers to take advantage of opportunities when they arise.

Whilst I’m not going to skate any of our strikes, it’s certainly an area that is becoming more and more of a concern.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:08 am

summitclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:31 pm
Wood, Barnes and Jay are proven goalscorers in the PL. The goals will come. The top priority has to be a right--footed winger, to ensure Dwight can't be triple marked.
Totally agree. No doubting Wood & Barnes are out of form but strikers play on confidence. They’ve not suddenly become bad strikers over the course of a few months. They’re snatching at things and desperate to score. Once they bag a few, normal service will be resumed.

Also agree that we need more attacking threat from the right. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a winger though, a right-footed creative midfielder that will play narrow and allow the RB to overlap would do me.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:10 am

If we persist with these four then we might be better adding a "striker-coach". Its a lot cheaper than a new player

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:14 am

Barnes as done OK since he got back from injury and as weighed in with a couple of goals. Wood needs to grow a pair, he is walking about with his head down at the moment feeling sorry for himself.

Central midfielder is also a problem. We need a player who is pacey, can carry the ball, pick a pass and score a few goals, we don't have that with our present personal.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:21 am

Creativity is a problem to an extent, although it’s been better recently. When wood/Barnes know they will get 1 or 2 chances max per game, it is understandable that they snatch at chances, especially when out of form and desperate for a goal.

Bit of an overreaction re Wood. Once he gets a couple he’ll be fine. Barnes however, just seems to have lost it. Slow and predictable. I can’t stand how he has to go down under anything resembling a challenge. Also the constant shooting from 40 yards. If I was Wood it get very ****** off. Barnes isn’t much of a strike partner.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:37 am

We have no chance what so ever of getting an oven ready striker in this January window...not a prayer.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:49 am

DCWat wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:02 am
Our change in approach during the game was frustrating. We started off very well, passing the ball to feet, creating space with movement and were nailed on for a win.

As the game progresses, the passing for longer and less accurate. The ball didn’t stick and it became so much easier for MKD.

I couldn’t see why the style changed, it occurred pre the changes and only got worse.

I think we are lacking in midfield and out wide but for a side that generally doesn’t creat a lot of chances, we really need our strikers to take advantage of opportunities when they arise.

Whilst I’m not going to skate any of our strikes, it’s certainly an area that is becoming more and more of a concern.
In all the years I’ve watched football I can’t actually work out why our style changes so drastically. When we play football we seem quite good at it and I’d argue look more of a threat than hitting the front men quickly! But we only seem able to play that way in play that way in patches before reverting to default. Not sure if that’s due to opposition tactics (when we get pressed higher up the pitch) or our own choice!

I agree it’s becoming more of a concern. Vydra did his job last night and all that was asked of him, so hope he now gets more game time either starting or from the bench.
This user liked this post: DCWat

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:59 am

Top Claret wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:14 am
Central midfielder is also a problem. We need a player who is pacey, can carry the ball, pick a pass and score a few goals, we don't have that with our present personal.
But which of Westwood and Brownhill would you drop?

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 673 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:02 pm

Crazy idea......but play a different shape? As others have said, maybe the answer to the a few issues (creativity, ball retention etc) might be to play extra midfielders (and add pace out wide).

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:04 pm

houseboy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:49 am
Looking at our striker stats last week again it seems odd that Vydra doesn’t play regularly. His goals per minutes played is FAR superior to anyone else. And why do we still persist with Barnes? I’m sorry guys, just can’t understand him still getting a game.
What?
Minutes per PL goal:

Wood - 212
Vydra - 327

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:17 pm

Unless Vydra goes we don't need a striker. Rodriguez is due back into the fold and Mumbongo looks a prospect.

Burnley FC can not justify buying a new striker when somebodies form dips - and let's face it that's all that's happening here.

Barnes and Wood have contributed massively towards us reaching unimaginable heights over a number of years and their form has dipped during some of the most challenging personal circumstances they (all of us) are likely to face in an entire lifetime.

I can't help but thinking some of our fans need a dose of reality. Giving the players our unwavering support would only help lift their confidence and improve their performances but there's a not so orderly queue of fans that want to knock them or write them off instead.

Get off their backs. You'll feel better too.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:21 pm

Wood is a good striker for OUR system. He’s gold in our system. In the pragmatic system that Dyche deploys week in week out, and that has seen us be very successful.

You can’t just drop a player into this system and hope they’ll be a success. Salah would struggle in this system. He’s flown at Roma AND Liverpool, but flopped at Chelsea. You recruit to YOUR system, you don’t play championship manager and hope for the best.

Vydra is a good striker, but relies on runs off the shoulder in behind, and poached goals in the 18 yard box. We just don’t play like that. He would score as freely as Bamford if he was back at Leeds!

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:21 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:17 pm
Unless Vydra goes we don't need a striker. Rodriguez is due back into the fold and Mumbongo looks a prospect.

Burnley FC can not justify buying a new striker when somebodies form dips - and let's face it that's all that's happening here.

Barnes and Wood have contributed massively towards us reaching unimaginable heights over a number of years and their form has dipped during some of the most challenging personal circumstances they (all of us) are likely to face in an entire lifetime.

I can't help but thinking some of our fans need a dose of reality. Giving the players our unwavering support would only help lift their confidence and improve their performances but there's a not so orderly queue of fans that want to knock them or write them off instead.

Summed up pretty well.

Fickle is the word. A player drops in form and suddenly he needs replacing.

Danieljwaterhouse

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:22 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:17 pm

Mumbongo was playing against league one CB’s who were tired. Nothing to suggest he is or isn’t a talent in that showing.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6485 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:27 pm

Wood will be fine,he has suffered with Dwight losing form and now being injured when Dwight gets fit and back to form Wood will be ok and back scoring,give him a break we dont need a new striker...Wood fits the bill for me

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:30 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:21 pm
Summed up pretty well.

Fickle is the word. A player drops in form and suddenly he needs replacing.
A player drops in form and needs dropping, not replacing.

what_no_pies

Post by what_no_pies » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:31 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:22 pm
Mumbongo was playing against league one CB’s who were tired. Nothing to suggest he is or isn’t a talent in that showing.
Fair enough, but there's nothing to suggest he isn't a prospect either. On that showing and his development squad appearances we know he's got some key attributes in being very quick and very strong. Good physique too.

The suggestion was that we need to buy a new striker. Considering the forwards currently available, Mumbongo's cameo and the reality of BFC finance I'd sooner give our young prospect our backing than shove him further down the queue by going out and buying somebody else (who isn't guaranteed to produce the goods either).

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:33 pm

nyclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:30 pm
A player drops in form and needs dropping, not replacing.
Not always the case. A player who drops in form may drop in form due to a lack of confidence. Once that player gets more game time and gains confidence, they're back up to form again.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:34 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:31 pm
Fair enough, but there's nothing to suggest he isn't a prospect either. On that showing and his development squad appearances we know he's got some key attributes in being very quick and very strong. Good physique too.

The suggestion was that we need to buy a new striker. Considering the forwards currently available, Mumbongo's cameo and the reality of BFC finance I'd sooner give our young prospect our backing than shove him further down the queue by going out and buying somebody else (who isn't guaranteed to produce the goods either).
Dyche has said that he doesn't currently see him as Premier League material, so I can't see him featuring much in league games.

Dodobdobodobo
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Post by Dodobdobodobo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:37 pm

Joel did really well yesterday but that’s against League One opposition. It’s a bit different playing in the Premier league. IMO he needs a to go and join someone like MK for the rest of the season on loan.

Wellsy1882
Been Liked: 247 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by Wellsy1882 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:47 pm

cockneyclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:16 am
That's now 20mil+ unless they want Barnes and long in exchange
Just pay it

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:00 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:59 am
But which of Westwood and Brownhill would you drop?
Westwood is great at set pieces and Brownhill defencivly

Due to Brownhills defencive qualities it would have to be Westwood, who hasn't looked the same player this season

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:10 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:33 pm
Not always the case. A player who drops in form may drop in form due to a lack of confidence. Once that player gets more game time and gains confidence, they're back up to form again.
But how much longer do you give a player to gain confidence? For example, if Wood doesn't score in the next 5 Premier League fixtures, does he still warrant a place in the starting lineup? Teams have squads for a reason. Players need to be pushed and challenged by their teammates. At times it feels like Wood knows his place in the team is secure, which results in complacency.

what_no_pies

Post by what_no_pies » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:12 pm

FactualFrank wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:34 pm
Dyche has said that he doesn't currently see him as Premier League material, so I can't see him featuring much in league games.
Please don't confuse me with the supporters that are clamouring for him to start featuring just yet. Loan out with an option to recall him would be the sensible approach imo and bring him back if we become short up there. He needs football but has the raw attributes to potentially make a good standard during his career. If that's with us at Prem level it would be amazing for our academy to be producing such at such an early stage.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3156 times
Has Liked: 6743 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:13 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:22 pm
And so was Vydra.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:16 pm

BleedingClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:36 am
We need a player like Vydra on the pitch, even if for the last half an hour, yesterday was a prime example.
In an ideal world you'd keep him, but he is the most saleable, and we would need to create a space.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Dodobdobodobo wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:37 pm
Joel did really well yesterday but that’s against League One opposition. It’s a bit different playing in the Premier league. IMO he needs a to go and join someone like MK for the rest of the season on loan.
True, but you can only play what’s in front of you. What I saw suggested he has something we don’t in the first team - raw pace. So I’d keep him and test him against tiring prem defences.

Think it’s so important for the U23’s to get opportunities to be in and around the squad rather than shipped out on loan.
This user liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse

Danieljwaterhouse

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:36 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:13 pm
And so was Vydra.
I take your point, but Vydra scored, and is proven in English football. His goals to minutes says so.

Danieljwaterhouse

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:37 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:32 pm
True, but you can only play what’s in front of you. What I saw suggested he has something we don’t in the first team - raw pace. So I’d keep him and test him against tiring prem defences.

Think it’s so important for the U23’s to get opportunities to be in and around the squad rather than shipped out on loan.
Abd how does raw pace fit into our system?

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:37 pm
Very well if it's allowed. Throw pace in and you automatically force the opposition to sit further back when they have the ball as they know what can hurt them on the counter.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:43 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
You're not serious with that comment, surely?

Danny Ings & Andre Gray? Having pace up front is when the 442 actually allows us to play some good football.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:43 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:36 pm
I take your point, but Vydra scored, and is proven in English football. His goals to minutes says so.
No question.
In my opinion both Joel and Matej missed very good chances late on.
I like Vydra's running of the channels.

Danieljwaterhouse

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:44 pm

Fine point, but then you want our midfield to dominate and they don’t. You’d want our cb’s to push though and force the midfield on, which Tarks does, but Mee would be found out positionally. Our fullbacks are limited so you’d expose them as they readdress their positional decisions.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:49 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Depends which system? The first half system or the second half system?

But really that was my point - do we play the way we do because of our players or in spite of them?

Joel offers something different that provides optionality to switch how we play. In the last 10 mins of games, I’d love to see us test defences with pace rather than aerial threat.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:55 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:44 pm
Fine point, but then you want our midfield to dominate and they don’t. You’d want our cb’s to push though and force the midfield on, which Tarks does, but Mee would be found out positionally. Our fullbacks are limited so you’d expose them as they readdress their positional decisions.
It's about having pace on the counter, to turn a defence, and to allow time for our midfielders to get out and support.

Every single Burnley fan knows the system we play to protect the defence. But it works best when we've got someone reasonably fast running in behind and/ or running into the channels to receive the ball. It becomes totally turgid and utterly horrible to watch when we've got two immobile lads stood on the half way line waiting for a hoofed clearance, and if it doesn't land right on top of their heads it comes straight back.

So yes, protect the defence by all means, but that doesn't mean 11 men need to camp in our own half for 85 minutes of the 90 with no way out.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:25 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:55 pm
It's about having pace on the counter, to turn a defence, and to allow time for our midfielders to get out and support.
Our wide midfielders (you could call them wingers, I don't) really annoyed me yesterday.
Never try to beat their man on the outside.
How many times do they get to the corner of the penalty area only to turn back or inside? The move so often ends with the ball at the feet of Tarkowski or Mee!
We need our wide players to stretch defences, not compact them!
....unless, of course, they are playing to instructions

I don't know how that happened :o

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:29 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:55 am
That was me and I still maintain Wood has a head like a Sheriffs badge.
Not heard that one in probably 20 years. I may have used it on here in the past but love it. :D

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:38 pm

We need better players all round than what we have. Our quality in the ball is pretty poor and we are slow.

I don’t think Dyche is capable of actually changing thought he hasn’t once planned ahead and brought in younger players to develop and evolve into an improved system.

Under Dyche we are backs to the wall, park the bus hoof a long ball to a clogger type team. Anti football.

I can See ALK and Dyche falling out pretty quickly over the direction of our recruitment.

JinkingJames
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by JinkingJames » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:46 pm

Dyche has been spot on. Wood, Barnes, Jayrod and Vyds are all getting into the right areas. It will start to fall for them. The key concern is wide areas. Brady and JBG are injury prone. No real cover for Dwight. Stephens legs have gone. Balls whipped in will fall for the strikers. I like Toney as an addition too.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:27 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:04 pm
What?
Minutes per PL goal:

Wood - 212
Vydra - 327
Stats I saw had Vydra around 1/160 odd with Wood at over 1/400. Might not be PL stats alone but you can only go off actual games played. As for Barnes, he wasn’t even in the runnng. Vydra should be playing.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:45 pm

houseboy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:27 pm
Stats I saw had Vydra around 1/160 odd with Wood at over 1/400. Might not be PL stats alone but you can only go off actual games played. As for Barnes, he wasn’t even in the runnng. Vydra should be playing.
They look like the stats for just this season, which is a very small sample size, especially for Vydra, who has scored all his goals in the cups.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:42 am

houseboy wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:27 pm
Have to factor in the quality of minutes played. Wood starts we’ve had all week for a plan plays 75 minutes and gets yanked. Vydra comes on for 15 minutes at a time at the end when we’re either just trying to see the game out in the corners or launch it up. You can’t just look at stats you have to take into account scenarios. This stupid x minutes against x goals doesn’t make sense.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:51 am

Didn’t think Joel seemed that quick tbh. Once he got his legs sorted and had a 5 or 10 yard run at it he WAS quick. But then again he was up against Richard Keogh!

When we came up with Andre (who to us seemed rapid) in the first few games someone like Jonny Evans or Richard Huth coasted up alongside him and nonchalantly played it back to the keeper. I think that was when I realized even premier league defenders are pretty fit.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7178 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:05 am

Iloveyoubrady wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:21 am
Creativity is a problem to an extent, although it’s been better recently. When wood/Barnes know they will get 1 or 2 chances max per game, it is understandable that they snatch at chances, especially when out of form and desperate for a goal.

Bit of an overreaction re Wood. Once he gets a couple he’ll be fine. Barnes however, just seems to have lost it. Slow and predictable. I can’t stand how he has to go down under anything resembling a challenge. Also the constant shooting from 40 yards. If I was Wood it get very ****** off. Barnes isn’t much of a strike partner.
According to Wood, Barnes is the best striker he's ever played with. He did say this last season, though, but good players don't suddenly become bad players.