Josh Brownhill opinions

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
chekhov
Been Liked: 804 times
Has Liked: 1513 times

Re: Josh Brownhill opinions

Post by chekhov » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:46 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:38 pm
Is he being moulded into a Cork?
If it's one of those plastic affairs for a budget bottle of wine I hope not.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:49 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:41 pm
I bet Cork's offensive stats were worse than the rest of the midfield last year. I don't remember the same criticism of him though - most people recognised that just wasn't his game and were happy to accept his defensive impact was worthy enough of his inclusion.

So let's see the analysis that shows Cork's play allows for 0.6 more goals per game than Brownhill's play. I'll be happy to concede that Brownhill has to do much better offensively if that analysis is conclusive. I suspect it won't be, but I'll keep an open mind.
I mean I’m not an analysis expert. But having a quick look at the stats.

Jack Cork averages a goal contribution every 17 games for Burnley in the Prem, Brownhill has no goal contributions in 27 games.

Jack cork averages 1.2 keys passes per game. Brownhill averages 0.6.

Cork averages 21 forward passes a game. Brownhill stats are difficult to find because three different stats websites say different things. But the range is between 13-17 per game.

Cork averages 0.6 dribbles per game, Brownhill 0.4.

Cork is dispossessed 0.2 times per game, Brownhill 0.7

Cork averages 0.3 poor touches a game. Brownhill 0.5

Tried to work out the stats the best I can but the stat sites are all pretty different but trends are the same.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:53 pm

Josh as been thrown in at the deep end and is a little short of the mark at this level, he contributes next to nothing offensively and is not in the same league as Jack Cork, who cemented an excellent partnership with Westwood over the last few seasons

We really need to be looking for a strapping 6'0 central midfielder who can pick a pass and play box to box, these dwarfs we employ don't have the legs for the modern game

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:57 pm

He is the intercept and move it on lad.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:57 pm

Ah, more Brownhill bashing.

We rightly laud Mee, Tarks and Pope for keeping clean sheets, but they only do so because of the phenomenal work carried out by the two CM’s in front.

It is absolutely imperative that Westwood and Brownhill are not caught out of position, and our CB’s, that lack pace, are isolated in a 1v1.

And we can’t compare Westwood and Brownhill offensively. Westwood is asked to play a riskier, freer game in his passing. This was confirmed in a recent interview with him. Westwood will get more assists because of how he is asked to play.

Brownhill can’t play like that as well, and needs to complement Westwood with a simpler passing game.

I’m all for different opinions of course, but come on, you have to see what’s in front of you before criticising.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:03 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:57 pm
Ah, more Brownhill bashing.

We rightly laud Mee, Tarks and Pope for keeping clean sheets, but they only do so because of the phenomenal work carried out by the two CM’s in front.

It is absolutely imperative that Westwood and Brownhill are not caught out of position, and our CB’s, that lack pace, are isolated in a 1v1.

And we can’t compare Westwood and Brownhill offensively. Westwood is asked to play a riskier, freer game in his passing. This was confirmed in a recent interview with him. Westwood will get more assists because of how he is asked to play.

Brownhill can’t play like that as well, and needs to complement Westwood with a simpler passing game.

I’m all for different opinions of course, but come on, you have to see what’s in front of you before criticising.
I strongly disagree. Why would Brownhill suddenly be asked to play a different position than say what Cork, Defour, Barton played.

You obviously like him and rate him, but it shouldn’t get in the way off reality.

He needs to dramatically improve his passing and offensive output.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:05 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:49 pm

Jack Cork averages a goal contribution every 17 games for Burnley in the Prem, Brownhill has no goal contributions in 27 games.

Cork averages 21 forward passes a game. Brownhill stats are difficult to find because three different stats websites say different things. But the range is between 13-17 per game.

Tried to work out the stats the best I can but the stat sites are all pretty different but trends are the same.
Some interesting stats there if accurate, fair play for finding those. There is more to Cork's offensive game than I could recall. Worth remembering that Cork has been playing PL football since 2012 though, and Brownhill has played 27 games as you point out there. Experience and know-how counts for a great deal.

I firmly believe that Brownhill is contributing a lot in other areas and is doing well for such a newcomer to PL football, but it does appear from your stats that his work on the ball is letting him down. Hopefully that can be fixed because I like his other attributes a lot.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:07 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:05 pm
Some interesting stats there if accurate, fair play for finding those. There is more to Cork's offensive game than I could recall. Worth remembering that Cork has been playing PL football since 2012 though, and Brownhill has played 27 games as you point out there. Experience and know-how counts for a great deal.

I firmly believe that Brownhill is contributing a lot in other areas and is doing well for such a newcomer to PL football, but it does appear from your stats that his work on the ball is letting him down. Hopefully that can be fixed because I like his other attributes a lot.
You might as well **** into the wind, Newcastle is happy being negative about everything.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:08 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:05 pm

I have always said Brownhill is one of the best at his defensive work. Like you said still very new to the league so might develop that side of his game with time. I do also believe that a RW with pace to help stretch teams would allow him more time on the ball.

I think cork has been very underrated at the club. Very rarely gives the ball away and his tempo of passing is very good.

I don’t think we will ever get back to a CM partnership of the quality of Cork and Defour. Arguably one of the best in league at the time.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:10 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:07 pm
You might as well **** into the wind, Newcastle is happy being negative about everything.
Typical Burnley fan. You disagree with them and you are classed as negative.

I am often on both ends of the spectrum. When I think things are bad I highlight them but when I think things are good I praise them.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:25 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:10 pm
Typical Burnley fan. You disagree with them and you are classed as negative.

I am often on both ends of the spectrum. When I think things are bad I highlight them but when I think things are good I praise them.
You're negative more often than not.

I'm perfectly capable of holding a sensible debate on here, but I'm not wasting my time with you when you're only focusing on the negatives just a few days after we've beaten the champions at their ground, their first loss their for 4 years and Brownhill was part of that victory.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:28 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:25 pm
You're negative more often than not.

I'm perfectly capable of holding a sensible debate on here, but I'm not wasting my time with you when you're only focusing on the negatives just a few days after we've beaten the champions at their ground, their first loss their for 4 years and Brownhill was part of that victory.
I just don’t think it is negative highlighting areas you think players can improve on.

Plus this conversation was started before the Liverpool game

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:35 pm

He's a Claret and an industrious midfielder who the best manager we have ever had rates and asks him to do a certain job that might not be natural to him but he doesn't moan he gets on with it.

TsarBomba

Post by TsarBomba » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:47 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

You are comparing Brownhill with Cork on primarily offensive stats, which is fair enough, but for balance, have you compared them both defensively?

For a start, Cork wouldn’t be leading on interceptions.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:51 pm

New to this level and still young but he’s doing a fine job for us and will get better with experience

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 698 times

Post by Bigvince » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:55 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

I know you’re not an expert in analytics, but it would be interesting to find out Jack Cork’s stats, just for his first 27 games!
I my opinion tho I think he’s doing ok!

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:01 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:47 pm
You are comparing Brownhill with Cork on primarily offensive stats, which is fair enough, but for balance, have you compared them both defensively?

For a start, Cork wouldn’t be leading on interceptions.
The conversation has never been about Brownhills defensive capability.

But if it pleases you.

Cork tackle success - 71%. Brownhill tackle success - 53%

Cork interceptions per game - 1.55 ,Brownhill interceptions per game 2.33

Cork tackles per game - 1.76, Brownhill tackles per game 1.59

Cork clearances per game 1.81, Brownhill clearances 1.44

Cork recoveries per game 5.92, Brownhill recoveries 5.51

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:02 pm

Bigvince wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:55 pm
I know you’re not an expert in analytics, but it would be interesting to find out Jack Cork’s stats, just for his first 27 games!
I my opinion tho I think he’s doing ok!
I mean I could try but that would probably take quite a long time.

Il have a look and see what I can find

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:19 pm

To be honest it's hard to argue against Newcastleclaret's stats.
What we need to look at is how players currently affect games, otherwise we could still pick Stephen Defour, or Trevor Stephen (if you see where I'm coming from)
What I see in Brownhill is a very good athlete with plenty of time to develop his game...
and I wouldn't begin to criticise Cork who has been (still could be) very good for us.
Last edited by boatshed bill on Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TsarBomba

Post by TsarBomba » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:22 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:01 pm

But if it pleases you.

How can the conversation not be about Brownhill’s defensive capability?

You can’t cherry pick your criticisms and overlook other aspects that don’t fit your argument. That’s not balanced or fair.

The two go hand in hand.

Brownhill isn’t contributing so much going forward because of what he is doing defensively? I don’t understand why you can’t see that.

I respect opinions but it’s just a really odd argument.

You clearly have an axe to grind. You think a Championship player who plays for a club 21st in the league would get in our starting 11 ahead of Brownhill, because you’ve seen him 4 times on tv.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:30 pm

Cork still has to convince me that his legs haven’t gone.

There’s no way he could cover the ground that Josh Brownhill does. And that is such an important part of the way we play.
Last edited by BurnleyFC on Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
These 2 users liked this post: Danieljwaterhouse Bigvince

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:31 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:22 pm
How can the conversation not be about Brownhill’s defensive capability?

You can’t cherry pick your criticisms and overlook other aspects that don’t fit your argument. That’s not balanced or fair.

The two go hand in hand.

Brownhill isn’t contributing so much going forward because of what he is doing defensively? I don’t understand why you can’t see that.

I respect opinions but it’s just a really odd argument.

You clearly have an axe to grind. You think a Championship player who plays for a club 21st in the league would get in our starting 11 ahead of Brownhill, because you’ve seen him 4 times on tv.
It’s not up for discussion because we all know he can perform defensively, there is nothing to discuss there.

When it comes to Knight we are talking about 19 year old lad that has played the majority of games for a team that finished above Brownhills old team last season.
I think he is a better player because of his attributes. Knight can dribble with ball, score goals, assist goals and do the dirty work.

I have said it on a couple of occasions Knight reminds me of Defour.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:31 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:30 pm
Cork still has to convince me that his legs haven’t completely gone.

There’s no way he could cover the ground that Josh Brownhill does.
Very well might have gone. He’s had a bad injury towards the end of his career.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:39 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:01 pm

But if it pleases you.

and yet the lad who signed from the Championship for 6 million quid still has 10 more interceptions than Kante, who cost Chelsea something like 30 million, has won the World Cup and earns 150k a week

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:40 pm

BTW, We will not be signing Knight in this window.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:44 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:39 pm
and yet the lad who signed from the Championship for 6 million quid still has 10 more interceptions than Kante, who cost Chelsea something like 30 million, has won the World Cup and earns 150k a week
If that’s how we judge a player then Westwood is on the par with the 80m pound Havertz at Chelsea.

Just because you can find one stat where the player has a better stat doesn’t mean he is a top player.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:46 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:44 pm
If that’s how we judge a player then Westwood is on the par with the 80m pound Havertz at Chelsea.

Just because you can find one stat where the player has a better stat doesn’t mean he is a top player.
it's called context

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2313 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:48 pm

Good lad is Brownhill...decent player.

Danieljwaterhouse
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 350 times

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:55 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:23 pm
You honestly reckon Brownhill could play for United or city.
I do, I think he’d be more likely to play in a United team, than city.

I think he’ll be a Milner of his generation.

Danieljwaterhouse

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:57 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:39 pm
The very best players, read the game ahead of time. If a player has high tackle stats at CDM I’d want it offset by the interceptions.

Think Busquets, how many times do you see him tackle?

Danieljwaterhouse

Post by Danieljwaterhouse » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:59 am

BurnleyFC wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:30 pm
Cork still has to convince me that his legs haven’t gone.

There’s no way he could cover the ground that Josh Brownhill does. And that is such an important part of the way we play.
Cork like Barnes has been a great player for BFC, sadly his time is coming to an end. There’s a place for both in the immediate future, but at the end of the season if they want to play regularly, they need to move on.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:12 pm

Well

We know who Dyche prefers at the moment :roll:

Maybe Newcastle should advise SD that the stats prove him wrong

Even if he doesn't play today Brownhill will be starting against Villa

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:15 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:28 pm
stats and all that........
To give some perspective, Brownhill cost Burnley in transfer fees what Kante earns in wages every YEAR at Chelsea.

A terrific player and as per usual criminally underrated by dumb Burnley supporters.
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 Vegas Claret

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:47 pm

I’d always pick Brownhill above Hendrick

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:51 pm

Braindead wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:15 pm
To give some perspective, Brownhill cost Burnley in transfer fees what Kante earns in wages every YEAR at Chelsea.

A terrific player and as per usual criminally underrated by dumb Burnley supporters.
Only dumb Burnley fan is you mate

Brownhill 29 premier league games no goals and no assists, enough said.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:11 pm

Belgianclaret wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:47 pm
I’d always pick Brownhill above Hendrick
I don’t think there is much between them. Very similar players.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:13 pm

Braindead wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:15 pm

Not sure how you can call someone dumb. I have put together an argument as to why I don’t think he is particularly great and I have used stats support my theory. Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean you should result to name calling.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:44 pm

SD in his Fulham press conference said Brownhill cost us a net £3M after taking off what we got for Wells.

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:07 pm

Jack Cork played 35 minutes with already 1 assist

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:09 pm

claretandy wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:44 pm
SD in his Fulham press conference said Brownhill cost us a net £3M after taking off what we got for Wells.
Bargain. A great player.

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Top Claret wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:51 pm
Only dumb Burnley fan is you mate

Brownhill 29 premier league games no goals and no assists, enough said.
Most interceptions by a mile in the entire Premier League, against midfielders costing more than 10 times what we paid for Brownhill.

Dumb. Enough said.

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 1001 times

Post by Guller Bull » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:19 pm

Jack Cork is a fantastic footballer but the main thing I would like to contribute is that, hasn't he got really good hair.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:21 pm

Was hoping for more to be honest - you know assists and goals so still needs to improve on that level but a decent signing for the squad

DanH90
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by DanH90 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:33 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:23 pm
No, you're right, it's not an excuse to say he is a defensive midfielder - it's an explanation.

We have struggled badly for goals this season. I'd be amazed if any significance difference can be pinned down to Brownhill playing over Cork, though. I'd like to see some analysis of how Cork's play leads to 0.6 more goals per game than Brownhill's play. I highly doubt correlation means causation in this case, but I'll reserve judgement until I see that analysis.

Most of our players would struggle to get into other teams in the league.
I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that Cork carries the ball forward through midfield better than Brownhill does.

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:45 pm

DanH90 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:33 pm
I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that Cork carries the ball forward through midfield better than Brownhill does.
Brownhill has good hair too but given Jack's age I think his hairline is more impressive.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:56 pm

Braindead wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:17 pm
Most interceptions by a mile in the entire Premier League, against midfielders costing more than 10 times what we paid for Brownhill.

Dumb. Enough said.
No point discussing topics with people like this, they have there opinion and no matter the facts they won’t even be open to the discussion.

His username is quite fitting.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:13 pm

Danieljwaterhouse wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:57 am
The very best players, read the game ahead of time. If a player has high tackle stats at CDM I’d want it offset by the interceptions.

Think Busquets, how many times do you see him tackle?
loads of times, loads of bookings too - top player though !!!!

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:25 pm

it'll be interesting to see what Dyche does now Cork is back - Cork was excellent today, looks fit and there is no way he will drop Westwood

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:27 pm

Guller Bull wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:45 pm
Brownhill has good hair too but given Jack's age I think his hairline is more impressive.
I think corks had a bit of work.

Guller Bull

Post by Guller Bull » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:31 pm

claretandy wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:27 pm
I think corks had a bit of work.
Do you have any contacts (with the work done) ?- His high line is impeccable.