Euro 2020: Wembley given extra last-16 tie, Dublin loses fixtures

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Euro 2020: Wembley given extra last-16 tie, Dublin loses fixtures

Post by tiger76 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:17 pm

Shame for Ireland that they lose their fixtures, but a huge boost for England's hopes, assuming we win our group which we should, then a home tie awaits in the last 16, is GS going to strike it lucky again in a major tournament.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56856744

Claretitus
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 211 times

Re: Euro 2020: Wembley given extra last-16 tie, Dublin loses fixtures

Post by Claretitus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:38 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:17 pm
Shame for Ireland that they lose their fixtures, but a huge boost for England's hopes, assuming we win our group which we should, then a home tie awaits in the last 16, is GS going to strike it lucky again in a major tournament.

He will get us to the Semi, but then again, I reckon I could. But when we come up against one of the better teams, he’ll be clueless, with no plan B. England? Same old, same old.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:07 pm

Claretitus wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:38 pm
He will get us to the Semi, but then again, I reckon I could. But when we come up against one of the better teams, he’ll be clueless, with no plan B. England? Same old, same old.
I don't disagree, but getting to the semi's will be more than enough to keep him in post, and let's be honest that's all he'll be concerned about, because if or when his England tenure ends he'll struggle to gain a decent club job, so it's vital for Gareth that he keeps his snout in the FA trough for as long as he can.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1485 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:33 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:17 pm

If we win our group then we face the runner up of the group comprising France, Portugal, Germany and Hungary in the last 16. I’m not sure how much advantage playing at home will be and that draw will probably be the end of our tournament. We will probably stand a better chance of progression by coming second in the group again.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:58 pm

I agree with the Irish govenment we could not hold the games with where we are with covid

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:15 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:58 pm
I agree with the Irish govenment we could not hold the games with where we are with covid
Sadly no but wasn't the issue that UEFA wanted grounds to be able to admit at least 25% capacity in order for those venues to get the go ahead, I guess if the games were taking place behind closed doors Dublin and other cities could have easily hosted the games.

It is a shame that these cities have missed out, and hopefully somewhere down the line they will be able to host replacement fixtures of whatever tournament, I also suspect there will be an economic hit which is precisely what all cities can do without at this juncture, but it does make sense for UEFA to get certainly in enough time to put alternative plans in place.

I only hope nobody on this forum had a ticket for these matches, as that will be gutting for those affected.

Tribesmen

Post by Tribesmen » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:23 pm

I didn't have any tickets now i would have had if Ireland were there but not to be .

Marty Dobson
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Post by Marty Dobson » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:53 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:58 pm
And sure why wouldn't ya. You voted for the clowns.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:23 pm
I didn't have any tickets now i would have had if Ireland were there but not to be .
Fair does Tribesmen, no offence intended but I've got to say on current evidence it might well be some time before Ireland qualify for a major tournament again, and in reality until you guys find a striker you're always going to struggle to compete against the more established nations, I know he was a hard act to follow, but you still haven't replaced Robbie Keane, and there doesn't appear to be an obvious successor in the pipeline anytime soon either, and if you can't score goals you won't win games at the top level.

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:35 pm

Everyone who bought tickets via the England Travel Club for the England games are now having those tickets cancelled and will be refunded within the next 10 days.

This has been anounced today by the FA and it is due to the lower 25% only capacities.

The lower amount of tickets now being allocated to the FA by Uefa will be distributed among Travel Club members in the way that they normally allocate tickets for England away games.

70% of tickets will go to members with the highest number of loyalty caps and then the remaining members will be placed in a ballot for the other 30% of the tickets.

It seems the FA will now only be given a very small allocation (possibly around 3000) by Uefa for each of England's 3 group games at Wembley.

The FA say they are hopeful that capacities will increase for later games.

We had tickets seemingly guaranteed for all the England games which we paid for around 18 months ago.
If we miss out on the FA ballot it means we could easily end up without a ticket for any of those games as it stands at the moment.

Coshack
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Coshack » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:19 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:33 pm
If we win our group then we face the runner up of the group comprising France, Portugal, Germany and Hungary in the last 16. I’m not sure how much advantage playing at home will be and that draw will probably be the end of our tournament. We will probably stand a better chance of progression by coming second in the group again.
And if we come second don't we then face the winner of that said group, that's how it usually works.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1485 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:27 am

Coshack wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:19 am
And if we come second don't we then face the winner of that said group, that's how it usually works.
Usually, but no. We’d face the team who finishes second out of Spain, Sweden, Poland and Slovakia.

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:08 am

Targetman wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:35 pm
Everyone who bought tickets via the England Travel Club for the England games are now having those tickets cancelled and will be refunded within the next 10 days.

This has been anounced today by the FA and it is due to the lower 25% only capacities.

The lower amount of tickets now being allocated to the FA by Uefa will be distributed among Travel Club members in the way that they normally allocate tickets for England away games.

70% of tickets will go to members with the highest number of loyalty caps and then the remaining members will be placed in a ballot for the other 30% of the tickets.

It seems the FA will now only be given a very small allocation (possibly around 3000) by Uefa for each of England's 3 group games at Wembley.

The FA say they are hopeful that capacities will increase for later games.

We had tickets seemingly guaranteed for all the England games which we paid for around 18 months ago.
If we miss out on the FA ballot it means we could easily end up without a ticket for any of those games as it stands at the moment.
I have tickets for the Croatia game and one of the last 16 games. I was quite looking forward to it but I don’t think I’ll get to go now.

Plus it sounds like it’d be more hassle than it’s worth. Getting there mega early, watching the game with a mask on etc.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:22 am

djemba-djemba wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:08 am
I have tickets for the Croatia game and one of the last 16 games. I was quite looking forward to it but I don’t think I’ll get to go now.

Plus it sounds like it’d be more hassle than it’s worth. Getting there mega early, watching the game with a mask on etc.
I had tickets for most of the England games but just got a refund, for the reasons you mention above really. Kept my ticket for the final, but this depends on England getting there and being lucky in another ballot.

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:02 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:22 am
I had tickets for most of the England games but just got a refund, for the reasons you mention above really. Kept my ticket for the final, but this depends on England getting there and being lucky in another ballot.

The government have said that they are very hopeful that a capacity crowd of 90,000 will allowed for the final at Wembley.
So if you have already bought a ticket for the final via the Travel Club then that ticket will almost certainly be re-allocated to yourself if:
1. A full capacity is allowed
2. If indeed England do reach the final.

Tribesmen

Post by Tribesmen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:25 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:13 pm
Fair does Tribesmen, no offence intended but I've got to say on current evidence it might well be some time before Ireland qualify for a major tournament again, and in reality until you guys find a striker you're always going to struggle to compete against the more established nations, I know he was a hard act to follow, but you still haven't replaced Robbie Keane, and there doesn't appear to be an obvious successor in the pipeline anytime soon either, and if you can't score goals you won't win games at the top level.
Not wrong at all as we are not yet rock bottom but heading there .

Two years time who knows a couple of players and we may have a small chance but it seems the only white hope we have is Parrot and he is not what everyone thinks he is .

I will retire from travelling in a few years watching Ireland and i don't i will see Ireland playing at the top table again but you never know .

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:43 pm

Tribesmen wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:25 pm
Not wrong at all as we are not yet rock bottom but heading there .

Two years time who knows a couple of players and we may have a small chance but it seems the only white hope we have is Parrot and he is not what everyone thinks he is .

I will retire from travelling in a few years watching Ireland and i don't i will see Ireland playing at the top table again but you never know .
There's the young lad at Norwich Adam Idah scored a HT at Deepdale in the FA Cup last season, he was supposed to be highly rated, but he's not played or scored as much as you might have expected even in the Championship, but apart from him and the kid at Spurs the cupboard does appear to be rather bare for you guys, it doesn't help your cause that the likes of Declan Rice opt to play for England over the Republic, you are fishing in such a small pool to begin with you can ill afford someone of his calibre turning his back on you, although I can understand his reasoning, the reality is he's much more likely to experience major tournaments in an England jersey than an Irish one.

Tribesmen

Post by Tribesmen » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:48 am

Yer Idah has been in and out with an injury a lot this season , as for Rice and Grealish they did well for Ireland and would have made a differance but if you are an England international then transfer fees and wages go way up and thier agents know this .
Can't see any change for Ireland within the next 2 years but Kenny has to go as he is a one trick pony sideway and backwards, sideways and backwards dont get me going .