Are we now an established PL club

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Are we now an established PL club

Post by tiger76 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:38 pm

So all being well next season will mark our 6th successive campaign at this level, 7th season out of 8, with the other being the Championship title season, and 8th out of 13 since we experienced our maiden PL campaign in 09/10, and in that time we've managed 2 top 10 finishes, and a brief sojourn into Europe even, and in the period since our last promotion we've never really been at serious risk of the drop despite some poor runs at various points of some seasons, so I think it's fair to now describe us as an established PL club these days, and the pundits generally agree that we won't be in the bottom 3 certainly as long as SD is at the helm anyway.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Re: Are we now an established PL club

Post by fidelcastro » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:42 pm

Agree with that, but whoever replaces Dyche will find he's a hard act to follow.

The wrong appointment could spell curtains for our time in the Premier League, but let's not worry about that just yet!
Last edited by fidelcastro on Sat May 01, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:43 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:38 pm
The pundits generally agree that we won't be in the bottom 3 certainly as long as SD is at the helm anyway.
Long may he stay.

Established? Not without a seriously minted backer.

Stoke City were established. Then they weren't and they're unlikely to be back in the Premier League any time soon.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1050 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by MrTopTier » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:46 pm

Ooohh yes we are.

The best part about it, is how many feathers we have ruffled along the way.

Long may it continue.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:47 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:43 pm

Even with good players there are no guarantees. Just look at Wolves.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:54 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
Long may he stay.

Stoke City were established. Then they weren't and they're unlikely to be back in the Premier League any time soon.
That's true and a lot of our success is clearly purely down to SD, and if and when he goes that'll be a challenge for whoever succeeds him, interesting you mentioned Stoke they had a similar issue when Pulis left, but for a few seasons Mark Hughes did a good job with them, before as you rightly state it all ended in tears eventually.

Of course just having a big money backer doesn't guarantee anything, just witness the plethora of Championship clubs who've had buckets of money thrown at them over the years. what gives me encouragement for our future prospects as well as the success with the 1st team is the large long-term investment in Barnfield, and it's those types of legacies that will hopefully sustain long after even SD has moved on to pastures new.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 pm

There are only 7 established PL clubs.
Man Utd, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Spurs.

City are only in that group due to their owners, but the other 6 have never been relegated from the PL.

Leicester are knocking on the door for that club, but they're not there yet.

Every other club is here to make up the numbers, never forget that.

Numerous other clubs used to claim they were established and mocked Burnley for never spending more than a season in the PL, notably the likes of Rovers, Bolton, Boro etc.
"Come back when you've spent x amount of years in the PL".... Oddly enough they don't want to be reminded of those comments.

We are visiting for now, unless the new owners can grow the club sufficiently that we can be regular members of the top 10 to give us more stability.

Just enjoy our time in the sun whilst we watch some of the aforementioned clubs struggle below us for a change.

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:03 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:42 pm
Agree with that, but whoever replaces Dyche will find he's a hard actually to follow.

The wrong appointment could spell curtains for our time in the Premier League, but let's not worry about that just yet!
I completely agree. Having followed the Clarets from around about 1973 I've seen all four divisions and seen managers come and go. Some of those managers really knew their stuff in football terms but most struggled to keep Burnley in the top division. Indeed at one stage It was a real battle to even get out of what was known as Division 4
This user liked this post: fidelcastro

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:03 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 pm

City are only in that group due to their owners, but the other 6 have never been relegated from the PL.

Numerous other clubs used to claim they were established and mocked Burnley for never spending more than a season in the PL, notably the likes of Rovers, Bolton, Boro etc.
"Come back when you've spent x amount of years in the PL".... Oddly enough they don't want to be reminded of those comments.

We are visiting for now, unless the new owners can grow the club sufficiently that we can be regular members of the top 10 to give us more stability.

Just enjoy our time in the sun whilst we watch some of the aforementioned clubs struggle below us for a change.

I bet you’re fun at parties :lol:

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3354 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:20 pm

There is no such thing as an established PL club unless you're one of the very select few (and we know who they are). Everyone else is only a couple of rubbish signings and a badly thought through change of manager from the season from hell and off you pop!

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:26 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:03 pm
I bet you’re fun at parties :lol:
I'm pretty sure that's been established with recent threads/revelations :lol:

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3194 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:48 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:26 pm
I'm pretty sure that's been established with recent threads/revelations :lol:
Aye but does t' wear kecks?

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1802 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:13 pm

There's always the thing (a la Stoke) where the fans want 'better' football and you discover you're not so established.

huw.Y.WattfromWare
Been Liked: 1004 times
Has Liked: 905 times

Post by huw.Y.WattfromWare » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:18 pm

But Stoke had led their team grow to old. We’d never do that.
Or would we?

BTW We won’t be established until we are regular top 10 and there is no need for the magic numbers thread, much as I enjoy that.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:21 pm

Of course we are.

Unil we're not.

BacupClaret
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by BacupClaret » Sat May 01, 2021 2:16 pm

Imo, we are not an established Premier league team, if we were, we would be comfortable mid table instead of looking over our shoulders which we most certainly have been this season.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat May 01, 2021 2:22 pm

RalphCoatesComb wrote:
That’s how I see it. It only takes one bad season. Stoke fans I speak to always refer to them letting such as Bardsley & Walters go and replacing them with players who just didn’t get Stoke and how they’d gone all those seasons in the Premier League.

Who is established? Take a look at who is in there next August and which of them you all but KNOW won’t be going down. They are the ones who are established.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat May 01, 2021 2:36 pm

I'm not sure on the word 'established,' but something I found interesting about this season is that the squad has had minimal investment in recent seasons, lots of injuries to boot, Dyche publicly unhappy, changes at board level and despite being contenders for relegation, mathematically... pundits have always said "Burnley were never really been relegation candidates'

I think that says a lot

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Sat May 01, 2021 3:03 pm

I'd say yes, but most 'established' Premier League teams have a 10 year life span.
Sunderland 10 years, Palace are going to be 8, Bolton 11, Wigan 8, Portsmouth 7, Charlton 7, Middlesbrough 11, Stoke 10, Rovers 11, Southampton about to enter year 10, West Brom 8, West Ham about to enter year 9.

So most teams who come up either go back down within two years, or get a decade or so before ultimately going down. There's a few outliers, like Newcastle who have been relegated twice but you'd not consider them to be anything but established, ditto Aston Villa now.

So one of us, Brighton, Southampton, Palace and West Ham for the drop next season is highly likely I'd say, but that being said, the gulf between an established premier league club (like us) and Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Swansea, Fulham, Cardiff and other recently promoted teams that aren't mega super duper rich is bigger than ever, so even if we do get a gatecrasher (come on Barnsley!) they are unlikely to stick around for long.

Ultimately, I think the Premier League may create it's own closed shop naturally with the same dozen teams swapping places every few years.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat May 01, 2021 4:01 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 pm

And don't they just hate the fact that Leicester have gatecrashed the party. Imagine if the likes of us denied one if these a place in the Champions League. Spitting feathers comes to mind.
Last edited by Stayingup on Sat May 01, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Sat May 01, 2021 4:02 pm

NO
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Sat May 01, 2021 5:03 pm

Remember talking to a Charlton fan I worked with and he used the very phrase "established Premier league club " two years later they were relegated. I would say outside the ESL greed club only Everton can really claim to be that,maybe Leicester.

The rest of us battle to stay in it every year.