Cornwall is apparently full?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
SherbornePhil
Been Liked: 20 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Re: Cornwall is apparently full?

Post by SherbornePhil » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:18 pm

Re my comments above re driving, most single track roads will have a number of passing points along the way so don’t be too concerned. The ones that Sat Navs take you down sometimes tend to be worse than these particularly if it’s the quickest A to B route.

If you like leisurely flat cycling, knowing where you are and you can park in Padstow, I would recommend doing the Camel Trail which takes you to Wadebridge, Bodmin and beyond. You can hire bikes.

Re beaches, if you are happy to walk along the South West Coastal Path you should have no problem finding a beach that isn’t over-subscribed. There’s also Rock to visit by ferry and quite a few local vineyards dotted around if you are into wine-tasting .

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:19 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:14 pm
Blimey, eh. Just what is your problem? Fancy behaving like this on a thread about holidays. Mind you, you do the same on nearly every thread you post on, so I'll leave it at that.
Sure once ksr sees this you will get another too. Had no idea you paid so much attention to me. I offered some advice about flights and you decided to reply not me.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:32 pm

There's a lot to be said for both home and abroad. I love the Scottish Highlands and the English south-west or the North Sea coast. I also love beach holidays abroad and trekking holidays in the Austrian/Bavarian Alps. I'm hoping for two weeks in Slovenia next summer.

Re Cornwall, its been expensive for years in the popular places - near London prices for food and drink, which can be quite a hit, not to mention shock, to families who are used to eating out when in Spain/Greece.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3607 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:49 pm

Appreciate the advice from those who have provided it like Marney and Mee, Sherbourne etc I really do :) I think we will be going into Padstow (or is that Padstein?) just because it's on the doorstep of where we are staying and the missus wanted to go and have a look about, but would be there very early so should be no issue parking pre 9am I wouldn't have thought. Getting the ferry over to Rock sounds fun too.

In answer to 'Why Cornwall, why not X, Y, Z' etc that has cropped up above, simply because we wanted to go to Cornwall! :D

It has the best beaches in the country in my opinion, and that's the holiday that we wanted. After cancelling/rearranging multiple foreign holidays (four, I think) since May 2020 we wanted a risk free holiday with no anxiety over whether we got to go is all. I Fully appreciate the likes of the Lake District etc (got a long weekend with the wife near Scafell Pike/Wasdale later in the year) but the local-ish region has been very well explored by us over the last 18 months, fancied getting down to the south west and praying for some sun on our backs.

In answer to why not flying, I like driving. It's a long trek from Chesterfield, but with a stop off midway at Stonehenge (never been, so why not?!) for a look around a bite to eat, it breaks it up a bit into two easier chunks of travel.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

SherbornePhil

Post by SherbornePhil » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:06 pm

If you get to Padstow early then yes you will be fine parking. I would choose the car park up the hill, it’s huge, you can’t really miss it, and walk down the path into Padstow. The cherry Trees is really good for an early breakfast if you can get in -it’s small and n the front. Greens is also good and there is also Choughs for a pasty. On Rock there’s a Paul Ainsworth pub which might have a table if you turn up but I doubt you’ll book one. Great walks on Rock too and som3 good beaches.

One of my daughters is travelling down today and she’s usually a good judge of when to travel so hopefully you’ll be ok.

It’ll be interesting to know how you get on- enjoy👍🏻

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:09 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:49 pm
fancied getting down to the south west and praying for some sun on our backs.
I hope you get the weather, Jedi. Someone mentioned Bodmin Jail - good place to go to on a rainy day. Bodmin Moor is good too, and you can visit the Hurlers Stone Circle and The Cheesewring. Easy to get to and there's a car park at Minions that's right next to the stone circle. You will see the Cheesewring in the distance and the path to it. There's also a tin mine engine house, with lots of info boards, that you can take in while you're there. Oh, and there's a pub in the village that does decent enough pub grub (Cheesewring Hotel).

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:15 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:49 pm
In answer to why not flying, I like driving. It's a long trek from Chesterfield, but with a stop off midway at Stonehenge (never been, so why not?!) for a look around a bite to eat, it breaks it up a bit into two easier chunks of travel.
Having stopped at both Stonehenge and Avebury to break up journeys in the past, Avebury is worth stopping at. Less touristy, bigger, plenty of places to eat and a nice walk.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:19 pm

WadingInDeeper wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:15 pm
Avebury is worth stopping at. Less touristy, bigger, plenty of places to eat and a nice walk.
And free too, the stones, not the places to eat.

CHEWBACCA
Been Liked: 108 times
Has Liked: 263 times

Post by CHEWBACCA » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:28 pm

We're on holiday near Paignton and it's rammed around here too...

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:30 pm

One thing that isn't guaranteed and that is the weather. August must be our wettest month of the year and with the storms that roll in from the Atlantic, Cornwall will be know better than Pennine Lancashire

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:31 pm

Talking of Cornwall has anyone tried the Football Golf at St Austell? If so what was it like.

WadingInDeeper
Been Liked: 155 times

Post by WadingInDeeper » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:33 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:19 pm
And free too, the stones, not the places to eat.
That's an added bonus.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:45 pm

The complete guide to Cornwall -

It's brilliant but -
Don't go when the kids are off
Don't go to St. Ives
Don't go to Newquay
Don't go to the Eden Project unless you have deep pockets
If you do have deep pockets - go to the Isles of Scilly instead
Other than that you can't go far wrong

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:01 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:57 am
All the people who voted for Brexit complaining about having to wait because of staff shortages. :lol:
Does that even make sense?

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:11 pm

Rick Steins is beautiful if your in Padstow try the Sri Lankan cashew nut curry

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:12 pm

CHEWBACCA wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:28 pm
We're on holiday near Paignton and it's rammed around here too...
Give me a wave if you see me, I'm here too.

The Ship Inn ( Preston ) are showing the game on Saturday

cbx750
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:14 pm

Another vote for the top car park at Padstow. If I remember right the spaces on the harbour are very tight.
Stay away from Stein's chippy when we went the fish was great but the chips not so, the prices were London and then some.
Stonehenge also has long queues even in normal times, I'm glad we went but you do get a feeling of "well is that it".

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:26 pm

Stonehenge? Meh …….Victorian whimsy

Red Fox Rocks Socks
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by Red Fox Rocks Socks » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:41 pm

MACCA wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:12 pm
Give me a wave if you see me, I'm here too.

The Ship Inn ( Preston ) are showing the game on Saturday
I’m currently on the beach at Paignton outside the outdoor water park. If you decide to go to the water park make sure it’s a sunny day. Was chilly this AM

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8540 times
Has Liked: 18290 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:43 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:26 pm
Stonehenge? Meh …….Victorian whimsy
😂😂😂

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:43 pm

Anyone who isn't genuinely knocked over sideways by Stonehenge is clearly very hard to please

Avebury as well now I mention it

But both are must visits if you are going past them

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:48 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:43 pm
Anyone who isn't genuinely knocked over sideways by Stonehenge is clearly very hard to please

Avebury as well now I mention it

But both are must visits if you are going past them
I’d try the Parthenon - Stonehenge was re-erected to match knowledge of the time. It is truly underwhelming, architecturally, aesthetically and on any grandiose measure.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:53 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:48 pm
I’d try the Parthenon - Stonehenge was re-erected to match knowledge of the time. It is truly underwhelming, architecturally, aesthetically and on any grandiose measure.
Well, that is your opinion (about the first bit, which is spot on)

But I went a couple of years ago, on a filthy day with the rain lashing down, and it looked impressively bleak and imposing

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:57 pm

Some of my relations are bleak and imposing, but I wouldn't recommend visiting them.

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:04 pm

Only two buildings that I'd recommend - Parthenon and York minster. Both designed and built with pure beauty. Certainly not a load of stones hugged up in 'sort of' circle' by some C18th century archaeologists!
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:05 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:48 pm
Despite being so underwhelming it's one of our strongest global icons. Whilst there has been some movement of the stones, the original positions are reasonably well known and as for aesthetics it's matter of opinion but most of the millions of visitors leave pretty impressed. Woodhenge is worth a visit too.

Avebury is a different matter - the appearance of the site today owes much to Alexander Keiller, heir to the fortune made from Keiller marmalade, who bought the site and cleared away buildings and put the stones where he felt like in the 1930's. Few of the original Avebury stones remain. Still worth a visit though as you have great access to the site and the links to other sites nearby like Silbury Hill

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:06 pm

jackmiggins wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:04 pm
Only two buildings that I'd recommend - Parthenon and York minster. Both designed and built with pure beauty. Certainly not a load of stones hugged up in 'sort of' circle' by some C18th century archaeologists!
York minister is amazing, loads of amazing castles in this country as well

Most underwhelming for me is the Sphinx and the Pyramids

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:18 pm

cbx750 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:14 pm
Another vote for the top car park at Padstow. If I remember right the spaces on the harbour are very tight.
Stay away from Stein's chippy when we went the fish was great but the chips not so, the prices were London and then some.
Stonehenge also has long queues even in normal times, I'm glad we went but you do get a feeling of "well is that it".
We were at Stonehenge two weeks ago. Were there reasonably early on a Wednesday and it was almost deserted. Had the shuttle bus to ourselves. It was a lot busier by the time we left but still not long queues.

Roger1960
Been Liked: 17 times

Post by Roger1960 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:22 pm

had a week in falmouth last week , split the journey with a stop in bath but it still took 5 hours to get there on a thursday and a further 5 to falmouth on the saturday , came back in one go setting off at 5am , took 6 hours door to door that way. bristol to cornwall is gridlocked fri / sat from very early so try and avoid travelling during the day if you can. falmouth and everywhere we visited was busier than normal , we go to newquay most years but that was too pricey this year , if you set off to visit places early doors before the families get up you can usually get in but the roads are all pretty choker . we booked all our meals out before we went which was a good thing as every restaurant was fully booked every night and you could see people traipsing from place to place with kids trying to get in anywhere

jackmiggins

Post by jackmiggins » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:23 pm

Apologies for being so pompous and bombastic, but I've had many arguments in my time regarding these buildings and do feel very protective towards them. The architecture, craftsmanship, geometrical excellence of them is mind boggling and would cost millions to recreate today (once the governmental services (and their families), QS's and contractors were involved.
Agree totally with your analysis of Egyptian stone stacking.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret SherbornePhil

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:26 pm

Sounds like Cornwall is now like Skye is

Having sat in a pub in Skye having tea, watching loads of tourists turn up and find there is literally nowhere to eat

It had the busiest Chinese take away I've ever seen as well

SherbornePhil

Post by SherbornePhil » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:04 pm

Out of school holidays, Cornwall is absolutely stunning and easy to navigate, get food etc. In July /August it’s still good but you have to grit your teeth and bite your tongue at times.
If you are in Padstow you could set your sat nav for Trevose Head golf club on the way back. You won’t get a table to eat but if you get there either side of lunchtime you should get a comfy table outside - it has a great view across the golf club to the sea. It has ale and a good selection of bar food. It’s classy without being pretentious.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1050 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by MrTopTier » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:08 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:44 am
Driving down tomorrow for the most overdue holiday with my wife and daughter after so many cancellations, re-bookings and what not of foreign holidays over the last 18 months.

Reading some insane stuff about the traffic both physically getting in to the county, but seemingly even worse navigating around it. Any Cornish Clarets on here who can prepare me for just how manic it is?! No restaurant availability whatsoever etc? Any tips appreciated as well (already decided I’m going to use the park and ride services for days out in Newquay and St Ives).
Jedi we have just come back from Cornwall and have been most years out of the last 20. It is busy but then it is school holidays. Out of season it is really lovely, but the weather is even less predictable.

The drive down North to Birmingham was rubbish, speed restrictions and roadworks most of the way. From Birmingham south it was great and the same coming back. We have driven down and taken 7 hours by the same token we have driven and it take 13. It is hit and miss, but travelling early has worked better for us.

What to do whilst there, Beaches Holywell Bay, Crantock, Daymar and Sennen Cove are some of our favourites. I note you mention Kynance Cove. Beautiful spot, looks like the Caribbean from on top of the cliffs. Sea is very calm and the jellyfish are amazing. Downside or upside no facilities, the beach isn’t that great when you are on it and the trek back up the hill is like going up Pendle using the steps.

Gardens-Lost gardens of Heligan and the Eden Project are standout in terms of tourist places. Take your own butties to Eden though.If you are a National trust member there are some fantastic gardens. Our favourite is Treemenhere with its sculpture park, it’s also near St Michaels Mount which is worth a look, more for the building than the gardens I would say.

Cycling as others have pointed out is a great way to get about. The Camel trail starting at Wadebridge is brilliant. Walking The coastal routes are just stunning and it doesn’t take long to get away from the crowds. Walked near Lands End this time breathtaking doesn’t do it justice.

As others have pointed out St Ives, Padstow are super busy, StvIves high street last week looked like the planes carrying the Afghans from Kabul. We went on the train which was really packed and it had a queueing system from 2.30 when returning. Padstow has a similar. Park on the hill at both and get the bus down or go to Rock and get the Ferry.

Restaurants are well booked up. Nice pub in Rock and cafe place Blue Crab I think l. Falmouth has a great chippy and a place called the meat counter which does the best burgers anywhere. Wadebridge has a little small building with four or five good eateries in it.Pizza, Indian, Noodles.
etc. I’ll stop typing now:

Love the place, enjoy.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1050 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by MrTopTier » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:10 pm

PS Roskilly’s ice cream is far nicer than Kelly’s

SherbornePhil

Post by SherbornePhil » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:16 pm

Re regarding having to wait longer for service and previous comments made, there are in my opinion four reasons why Cornwall has a particular problem:

1. Brexit and overseas workers
2.COVID and overseas workers
3. Pingcation - might be better now following new rules.
4. House prices/rentals - due to working from home and a desire to move out of London/urban areas, property is scarce and very expensive, prohibiting locals and workers to buy/rent. This is becoming a chronic problem.
5. A larger number of visitors.

The end result is a bigger waiting time or some restaurants, pubs cafes, reducing their opening times.

SherbornePhil

Post by SherbornePhil » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:18 pm

Sorry five reasons 😂
This user liked this post: Bosscat

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3607 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:29 pm

MrTopTier wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:08 pm
Jedi we have just come back from Cornwall and have been most years out of the last 20. It is busy but then it is school holidays. Out of season it is really lovely, but the weather is even less predictable.

The drive down North to Birmingham was rubbish, speed restrictions and roadworks most of the way. From Birmingham south it was great and the same coming back. We have driven down and taken 7 hours by the same token we have driven and it take 13. It is hit and miss, but travelling early has worked better for us.

What to do whilst there, Beaches Holywell Bay, Crantock, Daymar and Sennen Cove are some of our favourites. I note you mention Kynance Cove. Beautiful spot, looks like the Caribbean from on top of the cliffs. Sea is very calm and the jellyfish are amazing. Downside or upside no facilities, the beach isn’t that great when you are on it and the trek back up the hill is like going up Pendle using the steps.

Gardens-Lost gardens of Heligan and the Eden Project are standout in terms of tourist places. Take your own butties to Eden though.If you are a National trust member there are some fantastic gardens. Our favourite is Treemenhere with its sculpture park, it’s also near St Michaels Mount which is worth a look, more for the building than the gardens I would say.

Cycling as others have pointed out is a great way to get about. The Camel trail starting at Wadebridge is brilliant. Walking The coastal routes are just stunning and it doesn’t take long to get away from the crowds. Walked near Lands End this time breathtaking doesn’t do it justice.

As others have pointed out St Ives, Padstow are super busy, StvIves high street last week looked like the planes carrying the Afghans from Kabul. We went on the train which was really packed and it had a queueing system from 2.30 when returning. Padstow has a similar. Park on the hill at both and get the bus down or go to Rock and get the Ferry.

Restaurants are well booked up. Nice pub in Rock and cafe place Blue Crab I think l. Falmouth has a great chippy and a place called the meat counter which does the best burgers anywhere. Wadebridge has a little small building with four or five good eateries in it.Pizza, Indian, Noodles.

Love the place, enjoy.
Thanks very much, very informative post! I'll post on this after the fact to see how long it took each way and my general observations for anyone else.
This user liked this post: SherbornePhil

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8540 times
Has Liked: 18290 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:35 pm

MrTopTier wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:08 pm

Love the place, enjoy.
You have basically described our last few holidays in Cornwall 🙂.

We usually stay the around Polperro/Looe area.

Agree about Nat Trust membership for visiting gardens/houses ... we have also found a lot of gardens affiliated to the RHS of which we are members ...

Good post MTT
This user liked this post: MrTopTier

Carnsmerry12
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by Carnsmerry12 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:37 pm

It’s been interesting reading fellow clarets views on my home county! Some excellent advice given re. when to travel down and places to visit,eat and drink.Although you are based in the Newquay/Padstow area I would like to recommend the Roseland area, some good beaches such as Carne,Pendower and Towan. At Portscatho there is the Hidden Hut serving some super food. Further a field is Falmouth, Gilyvase beach is good as is the food by the beach. Swan pool is also a beach nearby. Kynance cove is lovely, at Lizard Marys pasties are popular and look out for Treleavens ice cream, easily the best in Cornwall. It will be busy but an early start or a visit at late afternoon/early evening is often the best option. My local area is Charlestown, Fowey and Mevagissey on the south coast and to answer another posters question the St Austell football-golf is worth a visit! Enjoy your holiday.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat SherbornePhil MrTopTier

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:40 pm

If you have spare cash, life memberships of National Trust and English Heritage will save you a fortune
These 2 users liked this post: TheFamilyCat Bosscat

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:42 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:40 pm
If you have spare cash, life memberships of National Trust and English Heritage will save you a fortune
EH membership costs us £8.50 a month for three of us. Absolute bargain.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:00 pm

Took Mrs Mac to her Mothers in Boston last Friday and what is normally a 2 hour 50 minute journey took 6 hours! Came back Monday without too much drama going my way but the traffic heading A1 South and M62 Eastbound was once again horrendous. Ay one point there was an accident near Elkesley and the static queue Southbound must have been 4+ miles

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:46 pm

Red Fox Rocks Socks wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:41 pm
I’m currently on the beach at Paignton outside the outdoor water park. If you decide to go to the water park make sure it’s a sunny day. Was chilly this AM
Goodrington near the Brewers Fayre ?

Just had a pint in there, just going to paignton now to grab some food and a walk on the front, and let the kids go on the rides/amusement

We were thinking of going the waterpark, but there's no great days.

A day in the pub Saturday I think for the footy, whilst the women shop

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:51 pm

Had two weeks almost near Looe, camping.
Weather could've been better. Planning on returning home a day early.
Kids have surfed, we've walked loads, eaten ice creams aplenty. The Treleavens is quality. Polperro was nice. Walked there and back.
Not sure we'll be back next year. Need a bit more heat, like in the Vendée, where we've been for years!
On a side note, caught a game at Tavistock and Millbrook... nine goals!

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:13 pm

Of what?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:15 pm

martin_p wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:23 am
You need to lower your holiday ambitions, we had five nights in Watford for £375.
Pebbly beach though!

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:17 pm

WadingInDeeper wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:15 pm
Having stopped at both Stonehenge and Avebury to break up journeys in the past, Avebury is worth stopping at. Less touristy, bigger, plenty of places to eat and a nice walk.
Avebury is the coolest place.
Real presence.

Not like Stonehenge.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3169 times
Has Liked: 6775 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:18 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:45 pm
The complete guide to Cornwall -

It's brilliant but -
Don't go when the kids are off
Don't go to St. Ives
Don't go to Newquay
Don't go to the Eden Project unless you have deep pockets
If you do have deep pockets - go to the Isles of Scilly instead
Other than that you can't go far wrong
Not far wrong, to be fair :D

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:23 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:40 pm
Totally agree with this saves you a fortune , we stayed in Dorset near burton bradstock and the national trust car parks we visited on the coast saved us a mint and payed for a years membership in one week with the entry fees to sites etc

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:35 pm

Might be a bit ‘touristy’ for some on here but last time I was in Cornwall the weather was ridiculously good and we absolutely loved spending the days at Lusty Glaze beach in Newquay.