Newcastle future plan

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Re: Newcastle future plan

Post by bf2k » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:47 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:16 am
In relation to it cutting the umbilical cord, Does any Burnley footballer live within an hour of Burnley? I was under the impression most lived towards Birmingham?

:D
I thought most live south Manchester/Cheshire. Isn't that the reason Westwood & Barnes bought the minibus?

Personally I don't see much difference between the nice parts of Cheshire & the nice parts of Lancashire, of which there are quite a few around Burnley. However, the location maybe more to do with family reasons rather than Burnley not being nice to live.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:51 am

bf2k wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:47 am
I thought most live south Manchester/Cheshire. Isn't that the reason Westwood & Barnes bought the minibus?

Personally I don't see much difference between the nice parts of Cheshire & the nice parts of Lancashire, of which there are quite a few around Burnley. However, the location maybe more to do with family reasons rather than Burnley not being nice to live.
They might all be in a tower block in Walsall :D

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:17 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:39 am
Why haven't either Manchester clubs felt the need to do the same?
Manchester is a miles larger city than Newcastle with much more diversity of culture and things to do such as shopping, restaurants, bars, clubs, attractions, music & theatre venues etc. Plus it has a very large international airport connecting it to Europe and the world.

Manchester since the late 80's has always been seen as an exciting world city and is a much more attractive place to live in general than Newcastle is.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:19 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:17 am
Manchester is a miles larger city than Newcastle with much more diversity of culture and things to do such as shopping, restaurants, bars, clubs, attractions, music & theatre venues etc. Plus it has a very large international airport connecting it to Europe and the world.

Manchester since the late 80's has always been seen as an exciting world city and is a much more attractive place to live in general than Newcastle is.
What did Manchester do then in the late 80s to drive this change? And why can’t Newcastle do the same?

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:20 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:16 am
In relation to it cutting the umbilical cord, Does any Burnley footballer live within an hour of Burnley? I was under the impression most lived towards Birmingham?

:D
That would surprise me if most Burnley players lived near Birmingham. Hell of a long journey into training and back.
Cheshire I can understand, but towards Birmingham?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:24 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:19 am
What did Manchester do then in the late 80s to drive this change? And why can’t Newcastle do the same?
Because the late 80s interest was created by the Manchester ‘scene’, generated by the people of Manchester and the investment in the 90s only really happened after the IRA had destroyed part of the city centre with a bomb!

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:24 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:

I used to live in Manchester. I currently live in Newcastle. I've also lived in cities abroad and throughout the UK. Newcastle is a massively underrated city, and is no less fun than Manchester. It's also much more beautiful. And the interesting areas are easily reached, including fantastic beaches. Yes, the airport isn't as good, but it's still pretty decent. And some trains to London are less than 3hrs.
These 2 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin Colburn_Claret

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:26 am

bf2k wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:47 am

I know a few used to live between Bolton and Darwen. I assumed the club owned some properties there and let them to the players.

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:27 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:19 am
Music put Manchester on the Map in 80's plus the redevelopment of Salford Keys brought in Financial and Tech Businesses

There are better informed music experts than me on here but I would guess the Geordie music scene is not as dynamic as the Manc one.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:28 am

brexit wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:27 am
Music put Manchester on the Map in 80's plus the redevelopment of Salford Keys brought in Financial and Tech Businesses

There are better informed music experts than me on here but I would guess the Geordie music scene is not as dynamic as the Manc one.
Bit harsh on Jimmy Nail & Ant + Dec

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:28 am

Targetman wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:20 am
That would surprise me if most Burnley players lived near Birmingham. Hell of a long journey into training and back.
Cheshire I can understand, but towards Birmingham?
Cheshire is "towards Birmingham" from Burnley.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:36 am

brexit wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:27 am

The geography is probably part of it as well. Manchester is pretty centrally located in the UK and is well connected to other cities.

Newcastle is out on a limb with only Sunderland and Middlesbrough for company. The A1 for years was a nightmare of a road (some bits still are).

Nothing against Newcastle btw but there are probably good reasons why it hasn't had the same level of investment and doesn't attract businesses other cities do.

As for footballers, if they really wanted to play for the club, I'm sure they can cope with living nearby.

ChrisG
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by ChrisG » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:37 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:28 am
So is Clowbridge
This user liked this post: NewClaret

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:03 am

Roosterbooster wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:24 am
I used to live in Manchester. I currently live in Newcastle. I've also lived in cities abroad and throughout the UK. Newcastle is a massively underrated city, and is no less fun than Manchester. It's also much more beautiful. And the interesting areas are easily reached, including fantastic beaches. Yes, the airport isn't as good, but it's still pretty decent. And some trains to London are less than 3hrs.
It all depends on what you are interested in so different people will prefer different places but European football stars are going to feel more at home in places that have the lifestyle and culture to match what they are used to and in this area for these people Manchester and Newcastle are just not comparable.

There is a reason why London is one of the most popular cities in the world whereas a lot of people on here think its a sh*thole where you get robbed or stabbed and im not knocking Newcastle I was just explaining one of the reasons why Manchester does not have the same issue at attracting foreign starts as Newcastle does.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:27 am

If you pay people enough money they’d pretty much move anywhere within reason.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:30 am

Isn't this just the usual tiresome argument between those of us who can see the benefits of a global culture, and those of us who are quite happy to prefer a more regional culture.

There is nothing wrong with either point of view, but to expect someone from Spain to be happy in a more regional culture than a more global one is clearly an issue.

Newcastle clearly has an issue attracting players, and all the reasons mentioned on this thread are very relevant

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:46 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:

Whilst you have a valid point about Manchester I'd say Liverpool isn't too dissimilar to Newcastle.

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:53 am

Isn't part of the advantage of playing at home the fact that you don't have to travel?

Another advantage is surely that they're acclimatised to the local weather. Isn't this why international teams try to get as close to where they'll be playing as possible. It might only be 3 degrees colder than London on average but when you're Primadonnas are already wearing gloves in London the poor things won't like it.

I'd have thought they'll struggle to find a training ground around Heathrow so they'll be looking for one around Luton, Gatwick or Stanstead none of which are particularly glamorous.

It strikes me as an idea from someone who finds the second flight from London to Newcastle a pain and also someone who's never done much traveling around the outskirts of London.

ChrisG
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by ChrisG » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:55 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:46 am
Whilst you have a valid point about Manchester I'd say Liverpool isn't too dissimilar to Newcastle.
To some extent, however it is probably closer time-wise to Manchester and the benefits to this than Burnley. Newcastle is very isolated by comparison.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:27 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:46 am
Agree but like Man Utd Liverpool has an additional pull just because of how famous the football club is and the history it has on the world stage. Add that Liverpool has such a close proximity to Manchester that players can easily live in places like Cheshire and have access to both city's and their airports you can start to see why Liverpool dont face the same problems as Newcastle. Also dont underestimate what the Beatles link and the associated tourism does for a Citys stature.

If Liverpool was situated in Cumbria and just had one club with say Everton's history then it would face all the same challenges as Newcastle but because of the combination of things Ive mentioned Liverpool still has a big advantage over Newcastle

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:42 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:30 am
Isn't this just the usual tiresome argument between those of us who can see the benefits of a global culture, and those of us who are quite happy to prefer a more regional culture.

There is nothing wrong with either point of view, but to expect someone from Spain to be happy in a more regional culture than a more global one is clearly an issue.

Newcastle clearly has an issue attracting players, and all the reasons mentioned on this thread are very relevant
Which is exactly why the new owners should be selling the benefits of Newcastle rather than writing it off.
The attractions for a young single footballer are bound to differ from one with a family and children, but the North East has just as much to offer as anywhere else. It sounds like some on this board can't see past flat caps and whippets, and the broken windows of the old ship building sites.
Newcastle quayside is just as impressive as any other modern city, the nightlife is as varied as any other city. The choice of places to live within a 30 mile radius of the city are probably better than any Premier league team.
If I was a Geordie, I would feel insulted by this idea, which is why I believe its hot air.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:53 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:42 am
Which is exactly why the new owners should be selling the benefits of Newcastle rather than writing it off.
The attractions for a young single footballer are bound to differ from one with a family and children, but the North East has just as much to offer as anywhere else. It sounds like some on this board can't see past flat caps and whippets, and the broken windows of the old ship building sites.
Newcastle quayside is just as impressive as any other modern city, the nightlife is as varied as any other city. The choice of places to live within a 30 mile radius of the city are probably better than any Premier league team.
If I was a Geordie, I would feel insulted by this idea, which is why I believe its hot air.
I can't believe they are even considering it, but then again I'm not a Sheikh with 100% control and a penchant for executing journalists in my embassies
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 118 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:34 pm

One thing that footballers like is to live near other footballers. You have a better chance of meeting an old mate, someone from your country or players that speak your language in Manchester or London. That also makes it more attractive to your partner. I suspect Cornet may have made contact with Eric Bailly for instance.

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:36 pm

Barrow did it (located training ground near Manchester somewhere) but Newcastle/S London is not comparable and the Geordies would not allow it

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3114 times
Has Liked: 3833 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:40 pm

ChrisG wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:37 am
So is Clowbridge
:lol:

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:43 pm

The allowing Franchise Fc to relocate to Milton Keynes was bad enough
This nonsense idea has to be an early April Fools joke it'd stupid beyond belief

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:44 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:28 am
So is Rawtenstall.

Targetman

Post by Targetman » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:52 pm

ChrisG wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:37 am
So is Clowbridge

Sorry, you beat me to it!😁

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:20 pm

LS7 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:36 pm
Barrow did it (located training ground near Manchester somewhere) but Newcastle/S London is not comparable and the Geordies would not allow it
Ha like the Geordies would care, if the end result was enticing better player

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:34 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:30 am
Hasn’t Newcastle’s failure to attract players got more to do historically with the fact that they have, for the most part, been ****.

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:37 pm

cblantfanclub wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:34 pm
I suspect Cornet may have made contact with Eric Bailly for instance.
I heard on the grapevine that they actually detest each other.

:?

;)

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:39 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:20 pm
Ha like the Geordies would care, if the end result was enticing better player
They love their local heroes up there. They would definitely care.

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:01 pm

A young person would probably not see Newcastle the same way as a more mature educated adult would, apart from being a vibrant city it's engineering history is up there with the best then couple that with the beauty of the surrounding areas a mere 15 minutes drive of the city and you have an acid test ... what kind of character are you looking for ?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:16 pm

Ultimately it will be a huge loss for the community up there if players live and train down south.

Look at our club - the community work, Ings with his charity stuff when he was here, Jay with the hospice, Brownhill with local businesses, all the school visits. It’s a vital part of it. I sense our players value it too, keeps them grounded.

Only one step away from Franchise FC to me. I can see the ground moving too - somewhere closer to the airport where a whole campus can develop.
This user liked this post: tiger76

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:00 am

bfcjg wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:34 pm
Don't know what they are worried about, the Arabs know their geography Screenshot_20211102-213256_Samsung Internet.jpg
If that's so, what are the odds that they fly west and land at Exeter airport on match day? :?

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:48 am

Future plan ,get in failed Ex Burnley manager Eddie now everyone else is blowing them out
No doubt Eddie will commute from Bournemouth by air .

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:07 am

As if getting paid millions isn't enough. Footballers don't care much for their surroundings when they take cash moves to Asia or the Middle East.

The kind of money these guys will offer players you'd think no one would dream of refusing.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:31 am

Classic UTC really, nigh on 100 posts of arguing and moaning about something that isn’t actually happening.
These 2 users liked this post: ChrisG Winstonswhite

cblantfanclub

Post by cblantfanclub » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:32 am

Classic UTC really, someone moaning about a post instead of just ignoring it if not bothered about it.

cblantfanclub

Post by cblantfanclub » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:59 pm

Interesting article from 2016. The Newcastle link is wild speculation but does go into how a number of players prefer to live down south. Had to laugh at Keegan persuading Robert Lee to move to Newcastle from Charlton by telling him it was nearer to London than Middlesborough who were also after him.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 06851.html

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:56 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:03 am
It all depends on what you are interested in so different people will prefer different places but European football stars are going to feel more at home in places that have the lifestyle and culture to match what they are used to and in this area for these people Manchester and Newcastle are just not comparable.

There is a reason why London is one of the most popular cities in the world whereas a lot of people on here think its a sh*thole where you get robbed or stabbed and im not knocking Newcastle I was just explaining one of the reasons why Manchester does not have the same issue at attracting foreign starts as Newcastle does.
Do no European footballers live in and prefer rural areas ?

uwe
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by uwe » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:26 pm

Blimey. So Merseyside is attractive to foreign players because of the Beatles, the nightclubs in London are better, and other cities have more varied shopping options.

F&ck me.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:38 am

They got a good point today but thank God man united equalized.
The good news for us is Wilson is out for 4 months.
Can see them going down.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11055 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:28 am

superdimitri wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:38 am
They got a good point today but thank God man united equalized.
The good news for us is Wilson is out for 4 months.
Can see them going down.
where have you heard he's out for 4 months ?

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:57 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:28 am
where have you heard he's out for 4 months ?
This article:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59798048
But they since edited it to say, 'face months'.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11055 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:25 am

superdimitri wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:57 am
This article:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59798048
But they since edited it to say, 'face months'.
"weeks maybe months" - sounds like Eddie is just guessing, figure we'll find out more today after he has a scan. They've been linked with Dembele of Barca and Edin Dzeko, pretty sure they'll try and sign 5 or 6 first teamers this window

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:47 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:25 am
"weeks maybe months" - sounds like Eddie is just guessing, figure we'll find out more today after he has a scan. They've been linked with Dembele of Barca and Edin Dzeko, pretty sure they'll try and sign 5 or 6 first teamers this window
Yeah, that's what it says now. But I'm certain it said 4 months before.

I have no doubt they'll sign some real players, but it doesn't always work out if you make too many changes with squad harmony etc. We've seen a few teams take that angle before.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times

Post by timshorts » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:02 am

superdimitri wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:47 am
Yeah, that's what it says now. But I'm certain it said 4 months before.

I have no doubt they'll sign some real players, but it doesn't always work out if you make too many changes with squad harmony etc. We've seen a few teams take that angle before.
They probably don't need 5 or 6. Look what a difference it made to us by dropping Hart. 2 changes then was enough.
I'd have said 3 could turn any of the bottom 6 into a decent side if they were the right 3.

With Wilson out, they probably need 4. The real shocker is that howe has turned joelinton into a decent player almost overnight by finding a position that he is good in. Tough to do that with the back 4, though. They are generally suffering from old age.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:07 am

timshorts wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:02 am
Tough to do that with the back 4, though. They are generally suffering from old age.
They have conceded 18 goals in 8 matches since Howe took over.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:14 am

Spijed wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:07 am
They have conceded 18 goals in 8 matches since Howe took over.
They’ve played City Liverpool Man United and Leicester away in those 8. Reckon we wouldn’t be too far away from that 18.