Will going on the Turf/live football ever be really affordable again ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jjclaret
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Re: Will going on the Turf/live football ever be really affordable again ?

Post by jjclaret » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:14 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:17 am
To be fair I don’t think it’s a dig at Burnley football club in particular. I think it’s aimed at football in general, however it is generally more expensive in the prem.

A perfect example of this is the Chelsea fans season tickets have increased from 1500 to 3000 for next season. (In a certain stand).

For me personally I find it difficult to justify purchasing a season ticket down to a number of reasons but typically cost is the main factor. Why would I spend a large amount of money when I can watch every single game for free. Then I can choose which games I would prefer to attend.
https://fanbanter.co.uk/chelsea-cause-o ... g-in-cost/

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:59 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:20 am
There’s always empty seats in corners of lower beehole and obviously Pace doesn’t have any football mates for the directors box seats . Our ST’s represent excellent value for premium corporate entertainment ( for that’s what prem league is ) Try and find a couple of hours “ A list” entertainment from concerts , theatre shows , theme parks, ski domes,etc etc and it compares very favourably.

The prem league is almost Disneyland and that’s just the way they like it .
But you don’t go to concerts or the theatre etc every two weeks and going to a football match doesn’t guarantee entertainment. I take your point but football is a completely different beast. Football is, or was, a working class affordable pastime, engendering passion like few other things do, and the point is I think that the foundation has been priced out and we are now left with ‘supporters’ who wear a football scarf like a fashion accessory. And season tickets may be cheaper per game but it’s no good if you can’t go to Sunday games or the increasing number of Monday games due to working patterns. The crazy kick off times and days are just another example of the PL squeezing every penny out of the game by televising more and more games.
In the end it’s only a game and it’s not that important really but many people have indeed been priced out and that is sad. The main glimmer of hope is that people will start to go to lower league games for football and that can only be a good thing for the game, but for that to happen there needs to be a lot less live football on TV.
This user liked this post: bfcjg

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:31 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:06 pm
football is out of control across the board. The wages are abhorrent at the higher levels and the owners and leagues milk it for all they can. It's no wonder we are seeing empty seats in a lot of stadiums post pandemic
Agree. Hopefully at some point in the future the bubble will burst and some sanity will return. I see fans of clubs getting a hard on because their club has just paid a billion pounds on a mediocre midfielder. Fans celebrating because their club has just been bought by people who wouldn’t p!ss on them if they were on fire. Players being paid per week what some people would take ten years to earn. And fans, including our own, working out the sell on value of a player after six games. The financial circus more than anything else is what is putting me off the game I love. I find myself out of step with fans who constantly blather on about the clubs financial future when all I want is to watch my team play at any level and enjoy it.
The day football became big business was the day the game became terminally ill as a sport. And that is the basic problem, too many people have forgotten it’s a sport, a pastime, a game. It’s been packaged, hyped, sold to the highest bidder and turned into something it was never intended to be.
Ah well, never mind, as long as your favourite player can afford his second Lamborghini it’s fine I suppose.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by chipbutty » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:31 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:35 am
Not that old chestnut. The marketing states season ticket price “frozen for early birds” but the reality is that there is an increase in the period between early bird prices (the previous season price) and the following season prices. Not always, but I can assure you ST prices have increased steadily over the years.
I can assure you that ST prices have not increased over the last 10 years.
I have a season ticket In a drawer at home fro 10 years ago that is £16 more per season than I pay 10 years later.

Mala591
Been Liked: 681 times
Has Liked: 428 times

Post by Mala591 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:39 am

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:03 pm
Because there would be little incentive to buy a season ticket if they did that.
Season ticket holder’s are guaranteed the same seat every match which is probably in a relatively warm and dry location. Those last minute ‘cheap seat’ fans have to accept what is left and quite often have to suffer getting soaked to the skin as well as having their view of the game constantly distracted by fast moving and flashing electronic adverts (much worse lower down nearer the pitch).

Whose daft idea was it to double up on the pitch side fast moving/flashing advert boards?

Just the start of the Americanisation of Burnley FC? (shudder the thought).

Terry Cochrane
Been Liked: 67 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by Terry Cochrane » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:51 am

Example of Chelsea isn't representative for me given the demographic of their current "patrons". Lots of city types who were never around when they were getting 20,000 in the 80s.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:52 am

Ive mentioned this before, but I'll say it again.

The NFL allow people to pay X amount of money for access to an app that broadcasts every single game, plus all the usual pre-match reviews etc.
It's only £150 I think for the season and tbh it's great value for money looking at the content on there, I got it for my sons to use mainly.

There are probably football fans across the country who'd be willing to pay X amount of money to watch all of the home game's via an app, maybe even close to the price of a season ticket.

Sky/Amazon/BT etc don't really show enough of teams apart from the bare minimum and it needs shaking up with a modern approach

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:10 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:11 am
I thought that.

I spend about that if I have 10 pints and a takeaway.
You've forgotten the Twix.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:21 am

It’ll never be cheaper to watch us. Even if we got related to League Two

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:34 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:52 am
Ive mentioned this before, but I'll say it again.

The NFL allow people to pay X amount of money for access to an app that broadcasts every single game, plus all the usual pre-match reviews etc.
It's only £150 I think for the season and tbh it's great value for money looking at the content on there, I got it for my sons to use mainly.

There are probably football fans across the country who'd be willing to pay X amount of money to watch all of the home game's via an app, maybe even close to the price of a season ticket.

Sky/Amazon/BT etc don't really show enough of teams apart from the bare minimum and it needs shaking up with a modern approach
Do they do the same thing for the MLS?

There is a difference between the USA and England - distances travelled. If our broadcasters showed all games there would surely be a bigger issue with attendances.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:37 am

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:05 am
Forty quid for food, for one person for one day?? Where are you eating?? You don’t HAVE to spend that on food, that’s a choice.
£40 easy that's just a pie and a twix on the Turf these days :lol:

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:36 am

Hipper wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:34 am
Do they do the same thing for the MLS?

There is a difference between the USA and England - distances travelled. If our broadcasters showed all games there would surely be a bigger issue with attendances.
People illegally stream games now, every matchday we have a thread on here either suggesting or asking for them.

Yes distances are greater in the US, for 49ers Vs Titans it's a 35hr drive or having to fly :lol:, but I don't think US fans travel in great numbers, although I'd need to check.
I haven't checked MLS

If a football club had the option of providing live streams then they'd still generate revenue and they'd have the option of making tickets cheaper for locals to ensure the ground isn't empty.

For what it costs some of us to attend a couple of games, we'd probably pay that for access to live streaming for all the home games, I know I would.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3843 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:57 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:36 am
People illegally stream games now, every matchday we have a thread on here either suggesting or asking for them.

Yes distances are greater in the US, for 49ers Vs Titans it's a 35hr drive or having to fly :lol:, but I don't think US fans travel in great numbers, although I'd need to check.
I haven't checked MLS

If a football club had the option of providing live streams then they'd still generate revenue and they'd have the option of making tickets cheaper for locals to ensure the ground isn't empty.

For what it costs some of us to attend a couple of games, we'd probably pay that for access to live streaming for all the home games, I know I would.
The 15 pound games didn't go down right well.

Was it 75 people bought our game for West Brom away?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:39 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:57 am
The 15 pound games didn't go down right well.

Was it 75 people bought our game for West Brom away?
No idea.
I'm talking football in general though is becoming outdated in the way it's broadcast.

Looking at the way the Yanks do it, I could pay for live streaming of 3-4 of their sports for what it costs for a season ticket at TM.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:05 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:39 pm
No idea.
I'm talking football in general though is becoming outdated in the way it's broadcast.

Looking at the way the Yanks do it, I could pay for live streaming of 3-4 of their sports for what it costs for a season ticket at TM.
How many games do you manage to get to at the moment GDJ?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:13 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:05 pm
How many games do you manage to get to at the moment GDJ?
Its very rare now simply because it costs me hundreds or when I look at normal matchday costs and what I lose by not working.

I'd be happy to pay for the cost of a season ticket though if I could live stream all the home games legally
This user liked this post: Winstonswhite