McNeil

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Sheedyclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Re: McNeil

Post by Sheedyclaret » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:07 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:45 pm
Shows what years of Dycheball has done when some of our fans judge our most creative player on how much he tracks back. No wonder the lad looks like he's had the life sucked out of him.
He doesn't create anything though offers zero at the moment

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:22 pm

There are certainly players more deserving of criticism than McNeil, but the difference is that we know how influential McNeil could be - so he is rightly judged at a higher standard than some other players.

For me he lacks application, I’m not sure whether or not this is a mentality issue. He never ever makes a run in behind - not only does this prevent him from getting into dangerous areas, it also means that opposition defenders aren’t dragged out of position to open up chances for others. Watch the movement and desire of other ‘comparable’ players in this league and see the difference.

He seems to lack a desire to influence games unlike someone like Cornet, who I would suggest is technically no better (other than his finishing which granted is superior to McNeil’s).

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:25 pm

Cornet has two great feet whereas Dwight, though technically excellent, is always going to be limited by his one-footedness.
Don't understand how anyone can think he "offers zero" though when he retains the ball better than any other player. It's pretty important to hold onto the ball at times !

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:32 pm

Just watching MOTD and his body language is appalling at times. The Benrahma chance starts with a terrible attempted pass from Wood to McNeil, who then goes down on his haunches and jogs back with no attempt to help us cut out the attack.

He did something similar later in the game where he allowed his frustration to take over. It’s not what this team’s ahout.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:40 pm

Certainly holds his position too much for me which limits his impact. Can only be tactical. The rare times he gets to the byline we look dangerous.

Claret3495
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Claret3495 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:45 pm

Lethargic out of possession and head often down sulking. Does produce moments of brilliance but so frustrating to watch at times. When subbed off today there was no handshake for Lennon or Dyche, just jumped straight over the electronic board and sat down, again it seemed as if sulking

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:38 am

I’m not sure he should be starting. I’d try Cornet on the left. He is more one footed than I am. Needs to be able to do the simple things with his right foot or the opposition will continue to shut him out quite easily. Not pushed on from his first season.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 2921 times

Post by burnleymik » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:55 am

Mcneil has definitely grown in a defensive capacity. He does a lot more on that side of the game now than previous seasons, but the side effect of that is that we have lost his creative magic. That determination to run at defences and swing in those cross from impossible angles has all but gone. Instead he seems more intent on shielding and then going sideways or backwards.

I hope he can rekindle that desire to attack teams as he has been our main outlet for creativity for the last two seasons. Without his creativity our strikers are looking lost.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 475 times

Post by expoultryboy » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:28 am

He certainly got away with the penalty decision , i can't believe var didn't give it ( thankfully ) .

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:32 am

Longsidelenny1882 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:04 pm
Why would anybody try to coach him out off playing good football don’t understand theese silly threads he will come good again sorry to say lacking confidence at the moment utc
Agreed, in general it is a dumb term and says more about the people who use it

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 837 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:33 am

I would have subbed him around 65 today. He looked naffed off or tired, and they were bombing down our left with him nary making a track back . I thought Pieters would have shored LM up and been fresher going forward. He must be a Cancer he looked moody af today.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:39 am

If I had Dwights ability and got subbed for Aaron Lennon I would be pxxx as well
This user liked this post: jojomk1

Zenwisdom
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Zenwisdom » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:20 am

Had a decent game against a good side
Always well marked by opposition most players will improve with better players around them .

mill hill claret
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by mill hill claret » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:01 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:39 am
If I had Dwights ability and got subbed for Aaron Lennon I would be pxxx as well
What's wrong with Aaron lennon ?

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:04 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:22 pm
There are certainly players more deserving of criticism than McNeil, but the difference is that we know how influential McNeil could be - so he is rightly judged at a higher standard than some other players.

For me he lacks application, I’m not sure whether or not this is a mentality issue. He never ever makes a run in behind - not only does this prevent him from getting into dangerous areas, it also means that opposition defenders aren’t dragged out of position to open up chances for others. Watch the movement and desire of other ‘comparable’ players in this league and see the difference.

He seems to lack a desire to influence games unlike someone like Cornet, who I would suggest is technically no better (other than his finishing which granted is superior to McNeil’s).
One of the issues I believe, is he lacks the physical engine to do what you mention. When he first came on to the scene he looked physically exhausted after 70mins. His stamina has improved but I just don't think he is/will ever be that player. Looks like people are twigging what I have seen for a while. It's really great Burnley have produced someone who is on his day a solid prem player, but there look be too many flaws in his game to be a top top level player and let's be honest he has regressed in quite a few areas since bursting on to the scene.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:08 am

Still our most dangerous and creative player by a country mile

Did far more yesterday than JBG

Yes, he missed out on some passes and crosses but at least he made the effort and for those thinking Pieters is the answer :roll:

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:00 pm

Has anyone got any footage of his wizardry on the half way line in front of the managers, when he tricked 3 players in a spin and passed it out?

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:04 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:39 am
He got subbed after 88 minutes, that way of thinking is daft
This user liked this post: beeholeclaret

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:07 pm

I think there are two different questions around McNeil. The first is whether he's currently performing as effectively as an out-and-out left winger as he did when he first came onto the scene. The second is whether he's a better all round player.

The answer to the first question is debatable, but it might be "no". There are a few reasons for that.

Firstly - because what he was doing so effectively when he came into the side was pretty straightforward - using his skill to get half a yard and his technique to arc over a cross, and that has become such an integral part of our armoury that teams now focus on stopping him. There was an occasion yesterday when the crowd got frustrated that McNeil wasn't getting a cross in but the truth was he couldn't, because the defenders (two of them) were doing what good defenders now do to Dwight and standing slightly off him so that any cross McNeil put in had to hit them, whilst not getting too tight that Dwight could drop his shoulder and get past them. Secondly, he probably has lost a bit of the freedom and abandon that came with being a young and free from the pressures of seniority. He's gone from being the kid to our main man upon whom our creativity depends in less than 3 years and before he hit 22. That's a huge burden, particularly on a lad who is said to be pretty hard on himself at times, and I do sense that that is weighing on him at times, particularly with his set piece delivery and perhaps also at times with his crossing.

But he's also not helped either respect by the decline in standards around him. We've never been a possession team, but a couple of years ago we used the ball better and moved it with more precision. That meant Dwight got more opportunities to use the ball in the final third without being tightly marked, and had less of an onus on him to go and secure good possession in the first place because the likes of Cork did that. Any winger is only as good as the supply line to him.

But for all that - the answer to the second question is a resounding yes. He's matured into a splendid midfielder with a good engine (his stats don't support the idea he lacks stamina, but any Burnley winger has to do a lot of running and he does more than most because he comes inside as well rather than just shuttling up the touchline). He's good with his back to goal, receives the ball in tight spaces and holds it well, keeps the ball moving economically and spreads the play accurately and intelligently. He plays the simple ball but also opens up the pitch with good penetrating passes. If you look back at the chances we've created this season, there's invariably a telling pass from McNeil one or two passes back from the final ball. Look at the goal at Chelsea if you want a good example. He's good defensively, spots danger pretty well for a forward thinking player, wins his tackles and makes his recovery runs.

But fundamentally this means he's a central midfielder. He never really was a winger - it just made sense to use him there when he started, and he's ended up a bit of a victim of both his initial success in that position (not least in terms of what fans associated him with and expect of him) and also the fact we've singularly failed to bring in any wide players to improve the team in the last 4 years except Cornet who is being used up front. His one-footedness is actually less of an issue in the middle because he's got more angles to work with (although his right has improved markedly). If he has a real area for improvement its in his goalscoring. He ought to be a 5-6 goal a season man but he's not at present.

I think we need to value him for what he is - by a long way, our best technical footballer. Maybe he's not the flying winger people thought he might be, but that doesn't mean he's not contributing for us - even if he's not hitting the absolute peaks he's capable of right now. He's still contributing. He made more passes than any other Burnley player yesterday, and despite trying more ambitious passes than any other Burnley player, and receiving the ball in more difficult spaces than his teammates, he did so whilst maintaining a pass completion rate head and shoulders better than his teammates. In a team that doesn't keep the ball well, that's worth celebrating more than we do at present.
These 7 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Lancasterclaret expoultryboy DCWat Spijed IWOODLOVETT evensteadiereddie

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:23 pm

Wasted on too many on this board that Spice unfortunately
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:43 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:23 pm
Wasted on too many on this board that Spice unfortunately
Not sure why there was a need to be critical of people posting on the board, on the back of Spice’s excellent post.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:49 pm

claretspice wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:07 pm
I think there are two different questions around McNeil. The first is whether he's currently performing as effectively as an out-and-out left winger as he did when he first came onto the scene. The second is whether he's a better all round player.

The answer to the first question is debatable, but it might be "no". There are a few reasons for that.

Firstly - because what he was doing so effectively when he came into the side was pretty straightforward - using his skill to get half a yard and his technique to arc over a cross, and that has become such an integral part of our armoury that teams now focus on stopping him. There was an occasion yesterday when the crowd got frustrated that McNeil wasn't getting a cross in but the truth was he couldn't, because the defenders (two of them) were doing what good defenders now do to Dwight and standing slightly off him so that any cross McNeil put in had to hit them, whilst not getting too tight that Dwight could drop his shoulder and get past them. Secondly, he probably has lost a bit of the freedom and abandon that came with being a young and free from the pressures of seniority. He's gone from being the kid to our main man upon whom our creativity depends in less than 3 years and before he hit 22. That's a huge burden, particularly on a lad who is said to be pretty hard on himself at times, and I do sense that that is weighing on him at times, particularly with his set piece delivery and perhaps also at times with his crossing.

But he's also not helped either respect by the decline in standards around him. We've never been a possession team, but a couple of years ago we used the ball better and moved it with more precision. That meant Dwight got more opportunities to use the ball in the final third without being tightly marked, and had less of an onus on him to go and secure good possession in the first place because the likes of Cork did that. Any winger is only as good as the supply line to him.

But for all that - the answer to the second question is a resounding yes. He's matured into a splendid midfielder with a good engine (his stats don't support the idea he lacks stamina, but any Burnley winger has to do a lot of running and he does more than most because he comes inside as well rather than just shuttling up the touchline). He's good with his back to goal, receives the ball in tight spaces and holds it well, keeps the ball moving economically and spreads the play accurately and intelligently. He plays the simple ball but also opens up the pitch with good penetrating passes. If you look back at the chances we've created this season, there's invariably a telling pass from McNeil one or two passes back from the final ball. Look at the goal at Chelsea if you want a good example. He's good defensively, spots danger pretty well for a forward thinking player, wins his tackles and makes his recovery runs.

But fundamentally this means he's a central midfielder. He never really was a winger - it just made sense to use him there when he started, and he's ended up a bit of a victim of both his initial success in that position (not least in terms of what fans associated him with and expect of him) and also the fact we've singularly failed to bring in any wide players to improve the team in the last 4 years except Cornet who is being used up front. His one-footedness is actually less of an issue in the middle because he's got more angles to work with (although his right has improved markedly). If he has a real area for improvement its in his goalscoring. He ought to be a 5-6 goal a season man but he's not at present.

I think we need to value him for what he is - by a long way, our best technical footballer. Maybe he's not the flying winger people thought he might be, but that doesn't mean he's not contributing for us - even if he's not hitting the absolute peaks he's capable of right now. He's still contributing. He made more passes than any other Burnley player yesterday, and despite trying more ambitious passes than any other Burnley player, and receiving the ball in more difficult spaces than his teammates, he did so whilst maintaining a pass completion rate head and shoulders better than his teammates. In a team that doesn't keep the ball well, that's worth celebrating more than we do at present.
The unanswered question is, how did we get him into that central position. As part of a two, certainly with the current personnel, I don’t think it would work.

Pace talked of there being a plan over a number of windows to resolve the previous lack of recruitment, so I wonder if the aim is to move Dwight centrally. Will that ultimately mean that we look to move away from the standard 4-4-2?

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:54 pm

DCWat wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:43 pm
Not sure why there was a need to be critical of people posting on the board, on the back of Spice’s excellent post.
You are quite right

Course, I was attempting to explain (not as well as Spice) why I thought McNeil was getting unfairly criticised last night and the frustration at people ignoring the evidence of the stats got the better of me
This user liked this post: DCWat

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:56 pm

DCWat wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:49 pm
The unanswered question is, how did we get him into that central position. As part of a two, certainly with the current personnel, I don’t think it would work.

Pace talked of there being a plan over a number of windows to resolve the previous lack of recruitment, so I wonder if the aim is to move Dwight centrally. Will that ultimately mean that we look to move away from the standard 4-4-2?
One up front, with McNeil as a number 10 presumably

Its not like we haven't played that before way as well, so there doesn't appear to be any reason not to try it

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:58 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:54 pm
You are quite right

Course, I was attempting to explain (not as well as Spice) why I thought McNeil was getting unfairly criticised last night and the frustration at people ignoring the evidence of the stats got the better of me
I subscribe the Spice’s view about Dwight being a central player, I just don’t know how we achieve it, with what we have.

Whatever the solution, we’ve certainly got to be creating more and getting the bloody ball in the net more frequently than we have been.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:59 pm

DCWat wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:58 pm
I subscribe the Spice’s view about Dwight being a central player, I just don’t know how we achieve it, with what we have.

Whatever the solution, we’ve certainly got to be creating more and getting the bloody ball in the net more frequently than we have been.
Players need to step up a lot more than they are doing now

I was massively unimpressed with the contributions of Wood, JBG and Westwood yesterday, and I'm a huge fan of all three

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:00 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:56 pm
One up front, with McNeil as a number 10 presumably

Its not like we haven't played that before way as well, so there doesn't appear to be any reason not to try it
My concern there is Cornet’s ability to support Taylor defensively. For all Dwight has been criticised, he works well for the team defensively.
Last edited by DCWat on Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norfolk Claret
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Norfolk Claret » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:02 pm

Bang on claretspice!! He is an attacking CM, I think that’s pretty obvious. As you stated we would have to change formation for us to fit him in this position. I really hope we accommodate his talent sooner rather than later but that will be down to when Dyche is happy and confident to do that. A central 3 of Cork/ Westwood as a holding midfielder with Brownhill/Westwood and McNeil slightly in front of, similar to what Coyle did with Grezza, McCann and Elliot. This would leave Cornet, JBG, Jay, Lennon and maybe Vydra to take the supporting wide berths. If anything surely this would strengthen our midfield centrally, it’s just finding the right balance of our attacking wide players.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:03 pm

DCWat wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:00 pm
With my concern there is Cornet’s ability to support Taylor defensively. For all Dwight has been criticised, he works well for the team defensively.
I think the balance of attack and defence has swung back to more defence, and as a result we've barely created a chance

When we click we know we are a good side, and the task of the manager is to make the changes to make us click

I do wonder if the Cornet signing gives us the chance to try it though
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat Spijed

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:06 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:42 pm
He has already done and achieved more than Ince. Nonsensical
Lol - he’s not even played as many U21 games as Ince!

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:11 pm

bobinho wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:45 pm
The worry was when he broke into the team that his attacking instinct would be coached out of him. Is that where we are now with Dwight?
Yes, Dyche has turned him into more of a narrow workhorse.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:17 pm

I don't see a £50M player in Mcneil like most do on here, comparisons with Saka and Emile Smith Rowe from people on here. I think my valuation of £20m-25m was closer than the £50m mentioned on here.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:21 pm

mill hill claret wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:01 am
What's wrong with Aaron lennon ?
He's ******* shite
This user liked this post: RVclaret

IWOODLOVETT
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by IWOODLOVETT » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:28 pm

I look forward to the team emerging from the tunnel at the start of a match. I always look for enthusiasm and pride (ditto the opposition) but I only saw it in the Wet Spam team’s faces yesterday. We drifted out, chatting to each other - looking very much like a jaded outfit.

I think Dwight, Wood and Westwood are the three players most in need of a rest, but the depth of the squad in their positions and the management team’s fixed views can’t or won’t accommodate it.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:42 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:17 pm
I don't see a £50M player in Mcneil like most do on here, comparisons with Saka and Emile Smith Rowe from people on here. I think my valuation of £20m-25m was closer than the £50m mentioned on here.
Yet we've already proved you can pick up players with more technical ability, physicality and threat for £13m in Europe.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:52 pm

This could be interesting, although as some have pointed out I don't think we have the personnel, especial the DM positions.
Attachments
team.JPG
team.JPG (31.99 KiB) Viewed 1440 times

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2604 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:55 pm

IWOODLOVETT wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:28 pm
I look forward to the team emerging from the tunnel at the start of a match. I always look for enthusiasm and pride (ditto the opposition) but I only saw it in the Wet Spam team’s faces yesterday. We drifted out, chatting to each other - looking very much like a jaded outfit.

I think Dwight, Wood and Westwood are the three players most in need of a rest, but the depth of the squad in their positions and the management team’s fixed views can’t or won’t accommodate it.
Ah mate..... you should see some of them on the TEAM PHOTO..... fewming I was...... FEWMING...... forget league positions and all that, they clearly dint wanna be ere..... is it too much to ask for them to come out like cheer leaders? They get payed enough.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:57 pm

Not so long ago DMc was sitting Alexander Arnold on his backside with ease.
he has plenty of technical ability.

In truth form comes and goes, ability is constant.
Our problem is that we seem unable to rest players when their form dips.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:03 pm

claretspice wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:07 pm

A good post Claretspice but I'd argue that currently he's not a winger, a central midfielder or a number 10, and that's part of the problem.

He lacks the physicality to be a flat central midfielder in our system in my opinion, but I agree his technical ability and retention/use of the ball would be good attributes to have there. Similarly so as a number 10 his technical ability would make him well suited to the position, but I'm not sure he is direct enough to be effective there either. That leads me back to Left wing and the more simple role he was playing before. Whilst it means underutilising some of his other abilities, I'd argue it's his most effective position as he has shown he can make a yard of space and put a good ball across. I think Dwight is a good player but unless he starts attacking his man more directly (more like Cornet) or getting back to basics on the wing I don't think he is going to be as effective for us as he has shown in previous seasons.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:06 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:52 pm
This could be interesting, although as some have pointed out I don't think we have the personnel, especial the DM positions.
I think it's pretty evident now that regardless of how crap we are, Dyche won't deviate from 442 whack it long

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:07 pm

I said this before and nothing has changed my mind but I prefer Mcneil on the right.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:25 pm

ClaretAL wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:52 pm
I can see the attraction, but we'd probably struggle to defend with that line-up.

I think 352 is a better formation.

Pope
Collins Tarks Mee
Lowton Westwood Brownhill McNeil Taylor
Wood Cornet

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:28 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:03 pm
A good post Claretspice but I'd argue that currently he's not a winger, a central midfielder or a number 10, and that's part of the problem.

He lacks the physicality to be a flat central midfielder in our system in my opinion, but I agree his technical ability and retention/use of the ball would be good attributes to have there. Similarly so as a number 10 his technical ability would make him well suited to the position, but I'm not sure he is direct enough to be effective there either. That leads me back to Left wing and the more simple role he was playing before. Whilst it means underutilising some of his other abilities, I'd argue it's his most effective position as he has shown he can make a yard of space and put a good ball across. I think Dwight is a good player but unless he starts attacking his man more directly (more like Cornet) or getting back to basics on the wing I don't think he is going to be as effective for us as he has shown in previous seasons.
Firstly - I do think McNeil can play in the centre of midfield even in a 2 in our system. He's become very good defensively (not at the expense of his forward looking game - the best players recognise that you can be good at both) and presses well so I don't see what he lacks to play in there beyond the safety that comes with being an old hand in that role. But I also think he can play in a 10, particularly if there's someone else in the 3 who is comfortable making third man runs beyond him - and there is, that's something Brownhill does effectively when he's released to do so. I understand what you say about being more direct (to some extent that goes to my point about getting more goals), but I think we'd see that more from a central role - we did yesterday on the one occasion he got to run at their back four and slipped in Vydra. no lack of directness there. I think his best role would be as the left sided of 3 central midfielders (I've seen him compared to Di Maria previously and in style, there's a bit in that I think).

I'm not saying he can't operate narrow from one flank - many players of his ilk have before. But when he's feeding on scraps out there, and is double marked every time the ball goes anywhere near him, and has only one option on - a cross - he's always going to struggle. At its simplest, the point is that you need you best technical possession footballer in a position where he can get on the ball. That's not happening enough currently.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:45 pm

claretspice wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:28 pm
Firstly - I do think McNeil can play in the centre of midfield even in a 2 in our system. He's become very good defensively (not at the expense of his forward looking game - the best players recognise that you can be good at both) and presses well so I don't see what he lacks to play in there beyond the safety that comes with being an old hand in that role. But I also think he can play in a 10, particularly if there's someone else in the 3 who is comfortable making third man runs beyond him - and there is, that's something Brownhill does effectively when he's released to do so. I understand what you say about being more direct (to some extent that goes to my point about getting more goals), but I think we'd see that more from a central role - we did yesterday on the one occasion he got to run at their back four and slipped in Vydra. no lack of directness there. I think his best role would be as the left sided of 3 central midfielders (I've seen him compared to Di Maria previously and in style, there's a bit in that I think).

I'm not saying he can't operate narrow from one flank - many players of his ilk have before. But when he's feeding on scraps out there, and is double marked every time the ball goes anywhere near him, and has only one option on - a cross - he's always going to struggle. At its simplest, the point is that you need you best technical possession footballer in a position where he can get on the ball. That's not happening enough currently.
I don't disagree that he works hard or has improved the defensive side of his game, but I do think our midfield two primarily break-up play and spend a lot of their time chasing shadows, I just don't think he has the physicality required to play that role, and even if he proved me wrong would we get the most out of him in that position? If we were adapting our system then arguably he could and your suggestion of playing on the left side of a 3 is interesting, I think if he is to be accommodated in the middle he would need to have a "free role" of sorts to get the best out of all he can offer.

I hope we do manage to make the most of him because despite my criticisms I do think technically he IS the best player at the club, but I would just like to see him used more effectively in light of that.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:11 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:45 pm
I don't disagree that he works hard or has improved the defensive side of his game, but I do think our midfield two primarily break-up play and spend a lot of their time chasing shadows, I just don't think he has the physicality required to play that role, and even if he proved me wrong would we get the most out of him in that position? If we were adapting our system then arguably he could and your suggestion of playing on the left side of a 3 is interesting, I think if he is to be accommodated in the middle he would need to have a "free role" of sorts to get the best out of all he can offer.

I hope we do manage to make the most of him because despite my criticisms I do think technically he IS the best player at the club, but I would just like to see him used more effectively in light of that.
I think we're ultimately agreeing that in our system we'd be better off playing him ahead of the central midfield 2, with Cornet playing from wide and Brownhill taking advantage of McNeil's ability to fill in defensively and prompt from deeper by making runs that break the line. I think he could play a Defour type role, but I'd accept that whether he could do it in a strict 4-4-2, and whether it would get the best out of him, is a bit more moot unless we were able to keep the ball better. What's clear is that, not really of his making, when he's stuck out on the left side we don't get the best out of him.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:17 pm

claretspice wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:11 pm
I think we're ultimately agreeing that in our system we'd be better off playing him ahead of the central midfield 2, with Cornet playing from wide and Brownhill taking advantage of McNeil's ability to fill in defensively and prompt from deeper by making runs that break the line. I think he could play a Defour type role, but I'd accept that whether he could do it in a strict 4-4-2, and whether it would get the best out of him, is a bit more moot unless we were able to keep the ball better. What's clear is that, not really of his making, when he's stuck out on the left side we don't get the best out of him.
From when we signed Cornet I wondered how we would accommodate both him and McNeil.
At first I thought maybe Cornet as a wing back, but Taylor could do that...

Exciting times?

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:26 pm

Sheedyclaret wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:26 pm
Our best player is currently injured
Defour injured again !!!!

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:36 pm

I think this McNeil situation will turn out to be another of those where the fans can blatantly see something (in this case that McNeil needs to be played in a third central midfielder role) and Dyche eventually catches on painfully lately.

The sooner Dyche sets us up properly and drops the stubbornness, the sooner we might start winning some games. Whether it'll come soon enough to keep us up I don't know.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:06 am

If only Dyche knew as much as internet experts

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:30 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:36 pm
I think this McNeil situation will turn out to be another of those where the fans can blatantly see something (in this case that McNeil needs to be played in a third central midfielder role) and Dyche eventually catches on painfully lately.

The sooner Dyche sets us up properly and drops the stubbornness, the sooner we might start winning some games. Whether it'll come soon enough to keep us up I don't know.
His recent comments about Cornet being off the left, seem to suggest maybe there is a role for McNeil in the centre