Victor Moses

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Re: Victor Moses

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:01 am

The team that squanders its chance to strengthen in the summer is allowed to regain a competitive advantage in January by using the January registration period to add players to its squad. The team the squanders its chance to strengthen in January is allowed to regain a competitive advantage in the summer by using the summer registration period to add players to its squad. And so on and so forth, ad infinitum. Talk of "time allotted" is nonsense because it implies transfer windows exist for the purpose of adding some contrived, arbitrary layer of competition into the game, as though the way a team conducts its business in the transfer market is as fundamental as the laws of the game itself, but this is not true, because transfer business is not fundamental to the game. Transfer business is merely consequential. Transfer windows are arbitrary inventions. They have no fundamental basis in football. Transfer windows and the rules around squad registration exist to prevent clubs from poaching one another's players every single week. It's a form of regulation designed to prevent chaos. The fact that folk seem to have forgotten this fact is probably a by-product of modern football's melodrama, an invention of a football media acting on its own impulses to profit by creating a hysteria around transfer windows so as to capture an audience. This exceptional registration period allowed by FIFA (and UEFA) can be exploited by EVERY team in any permitting league should they so wish, and as such is has no greater impact on competition integrity than any other transfer window. The refusal by the PL to adopt FIFA guidelines is borne of inertia and laziness and pure impulse. Convince me I'm wrong.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:31 am

Middle-agedClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:53 pm
I have reported my misquoted post to the mods.

It looks as though I have written the bold comments, which I have not.

As dar as I am concerned, Moses is English and entitled to play in the prem.
These 3 users liked this post: Stayingup Bosscat Quicknick

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:54 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:01 am
We're clearly at an impasse. My biases are unambiguous, and at no point in this thread have I suggested our actions be driven by anything other than our own self interest. I made it explicitly clear in my first post on this thread that I believe we need to play dirty (which is to say, make a stink about this to get what we want), so the fact that I'm "making things fit my argument because I want to sign the player" is not exactly a revelation to me — I stated my intentions in the first post I made on this thread! I'm just surprised that there are Burnley fans who seem to have been bewitched into believing that the PL's decision not to adopt FIFA's extraordinary policy actually protects the competition's integrity. I've made my case why I think this argument around "competition integrity" is bunk, yet nobody has told me how exactly I'm wrong. All I've heard (from Burnley fans no less) is a regurgitation of the PL's line on the matter (or an unconvincing elaboration on the same point), which I've argued above as being flimsy and incoherent. Convince my I'm wrong, please, I'm begging someone.
You won't be convinced because you've shown yourself up as not being able to understand another persons argument- whether you agree with it or not.

As I've already stated: The transfer windows where Clubs are allowed to sign players from other teams have been and gone- Most of the other teams used the windows as they should have, it's the reason they exist in the first place. Wether FIFA allows it or not the Premier League holds the view that to allow clubs to sign these players outside of the window would go against the integrity of the league- For the reasons above I agree with them, it benefits the clubs who failed to make appropriate use of the Transfer windows that were available to them. You can't disagree with that statement because it's factual, you're whole point is "WAHHHHHHH the premier league have no right to stop us signing a player I want". Where is your argument to suggest that this doesn't benefit the clubs who failed to strengthen? Or even the clubs who have had more injuries than others etc. You haven't presented one as you don't have one.
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:58 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:38 am
Prem sticking one on lil ol Burnley.
What are you talking about? and when has it ever been little old Burnley? woe is me, you're such a victim

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:10 pm

Will be lil ol Burnley next season with a treasure chest of parachute and transfer fee payments and an older squad

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 726 times

Post by superdimitri » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:17 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:10 pm
Will be lil ol Burnley next season with a treasure chest of parachute and transfer fee payments and an older squad
Not to mention every team to play us will treat it like a cup game.

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:00 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:01 am
We're clearly at an impasse. My biases are unambiguous, and at no point in this thread have I suggested our actions be driven by anything other than our own self interest. I made it explicitly clear in my first post on this thread that I believe we need to play dirty (which is to say, make a stink about this to get what we want), so the fact that I'm "making things fit my argument because I want to sign the player" is not exactly a revelation to me — I stated my intentions in the first post I made on this thread! I'm just surprised that there are Burnley fans who seem to have been bewitched into believing that the PL's decision not to adopt FIFA's extraordinary policy actually protects the competition's integrity. I've made my case why I think this argument around "competition integrity" is bunk, yet nobody has told me how exactly I'm wrong. All I've heard (from Burnley fans no less) is a regurgitation of the PL's line on the matter (or an unconvincing elaboration on the same point), which I've argued above as being flimsy and incoherent. Convince my I'm wrong, please, I'm begging someone.
Imagine begging people to prove you wrong when they've demonstrated a side of the argument you just don't seem to be able to grasp. Ironic you called another poster "dense".
When the Prem allow another premier league club to sign one of these players you'll have a case, but for now, as far as I'm aware they will be blocking any premier club trying to make this move. That to me is fair.
Maybe you've been had by headlines suggesting the premier league have blocked Burnley, so I'll cut you some slack. They haven't. They have blocked all Premier League clubs from doing it.
Do you get it now?
For what it's worth I think Moses would be an excellent addition but as other posters have stated- we've had plenty of transfer windows to address the gaps in the squad.
If we do drop to the championship, I'll be waiting for the posts on here on how the premier league screwed us out of the division, despite the fact we haven't been good enough this season.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:23 pm

I don't see how anyone can think it's fair on poor Victor Moses. FIFA says he can get out of Russia while all this is going on, the Premier League say its more important to protect the integrity of their competition than it is for him to be offered a fair deal to come home.

I think it's a **** decision anyway, but it'd be interesting to know what the reaction would be to a hypothetical situation where a Premier League team wanted to bring a Ukranian player in who was at a Russian club.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:27 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:23 pm
I don't see how anyone can think it's fair on poor Victor Moses. FIFA says he can get out of Russia while all this is going on, the Premier League say its more important to protect the integrity of their competition than it is for him to be offered a fair deal to come home.

I think it's a **** decision anyway, but it'd be interesting to know what the reaction would be to a hypothetical situation where a Premier League team wanted to bring a Ukranian player in who was at a Russian club.
It would be the exact same? He plays for a Russian club the same way Moses does.

The premier league are not preventing Moses from leaving Russia. He can join any other league on the planet apart from Serie A, Bundesliga and the Premier league.

I don’t get the view “a fair deal to come home” he hasn’t lived in England since 2018 and since then has lived in three different countries.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:32 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:27 pm
It would be the exact same? He plays for a Russian club the same way Moses does.

The premier league are not preventing Moses from leaving Russia. He can join any other league on the planet apart from Serie A, Bundesliga and the Premier league.

I don’t get the view “a fair deal to come home” he hasn’t lived in England since 2018 and since then has lived in three different countries.
He's from England.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:54 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:32 pm
He's from England.
What do you mean? He’s lived in England for a long time but he’s from Nigeria.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:55 pm

Still trying to die on this hill I see...

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:57 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:54 pm
What do you mean? He’s lived in England for a long time but he’s from Nigeria.
I mean he's from England. His life story is available online if you wish to read it. If you know it and genuinely disagree with the idea he's from England that's your own business but I certainly know what I think of it.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:57 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:55 pm
Still trying to die on this hill I see...
Haha what hill?

Just weird fans thinking the premier league is out to get Burnley.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:58 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:57 pm
I mean he's from England. His life story is available online if you wish to read it. If you know it and genuinely disagree with the idea he's from England that's your own business but I certainly know what I think of it.
I think it’s just different understanding of the term “he’s from England”.

I fully appreciate he was an asylum seeker but that doesn’t mean he’s not Nigerian?

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:00 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Haha what hill?

Just weird fans thinking the premier league is out to get Burnley.
Nobody here thinks the Premier League is out to get Burnley I don't think.

He is Nigerian, but to say you don't understand why moving to England would be moving to his home country is either ignorant or something else.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:05 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:00 pm
Nobody here thinks the Premier League is out to get Burnley I don't think.

He is Nigerian, but to say you don't understand why moving to England would be moving to his home country is either ignorant or something else.
There has been a few go through the thread.

Fair enough, I just assumed home would be the most recent place he lived. Just read his family still live in Italy where he was at before moving to Spartak.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:14 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:05 pm
There has been a few go through the thread.

Fair enough, I just assumed home would be the most recent place he lived. Just read his family still live in Italy where he was at before moving to Spartak.
Hell of a commute for him.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:16 pm

Conroy92 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:00 pm
Imagine begging people to prove you wrong when they've demonstrated a side of the argument you just don't seem to be able to grasp. Ironic you called another poster "dense".
I grasp the argument, and I think it's flimsy. I don't think it's been well demonstrated why this decision is right. I can read what people are typing, that's not the problem. I'm listening, I just think it's nonsense. I'm probing the arguments being made by those who believe that the decision actually protects the integrity of the league. I don't think what I'm arguing is illogical whereas the arguments being made above are sometimes illogical, and I've argued why I think this to be the case. I won't repeat myself, it's already said on the thread. That's what I mean when I say I'd love to be shown where I'm wrong. I understand that people believe the justification for the decision to be true, because it sounds superficially truthful, but I think the points being made in defence of this decision don't stand up to scrutiny, hence why I'm asking folk to show me how the counterarguments I'm making are flawed. This is how argument works. Repeating a proposition again and again isn't convincing me of anything. Folk believe this nonsense argument to be true, but I'm totally unconvinced. As I said, we're at an impasse. Anyway, we're going round in circles so I'll leave it at that.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:57 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:27 pm

It's only 2022 now!

Conroy92
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:57 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:16 pm
I grasp the argument, and I think it's flimsy. I don't think it's been well demonstrated why this decision is right. I can read what people are typing, that's not the problem. I'm listening, I just think it's nonsense. I'm probing the arguments being made by those who believe that the decision actually protects the integrity of the league. I don't think what I'm arguing is illogical whereas the arguments being made above are sometimes illogical, and I've argued why I think this to be the case. I won't repeat myself, it's already said on the thread. That's what I mean when I say I'd love to be shown where I'm wrong. I understand that people believe the justification for the decision to be true, because it sounds superficially truthful, but I think the points being made in defence of this decision don't stand up to scrutiny, hence why I'm asking folk to show me how the counterarguments I'm making are flawed. This is how argument works. Repeating a proposition again and again isn't convincing me of anything. Folk believe this nonsense argument to be true, but I'm totally unconvinced. As I said, we're at an impasse. Anyway, we're going round in circles so I'll leave it at that.
You've given yourself away spiral! I'm not here to get drawn into your 'arguments', I'm here for debates.
If you were here for a debate you'd accept that there is several posts on this thread that do explain why people think it goes against the integrity of the league. You don't have to agree with it but you have to accept they are there and then reason as to why you feel your way. Instead your sat there telling me there's no conceivable reason and a load of nonsense.

Good luck with your arguments.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:03 pm

Oh for Christ's sake, this is a waste of time. 'Argument' doesn't mean 'fight'. Argumentation is part of deba...you know what, forget it.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3164 times
Has Liked: 6762 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:16 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:05 pm

most likely "home" is where his passport says.

And i don't have a clue where that might be.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:27 pm

Home is where the heart is.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:30 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:16 pm
Spiral you must have been pretending to be an ostrich at the time so missed my response to you, but clearly the above is nonsense itself in light of my post. I'm still waiting for your side of the "argument" in light of what I've said. I've put it again below hopefully you don't "miss" It again this time. :roll:

You won't be convinced because you've shown yourself up as not being able to understand another persons argument- whether you agree with it or not.

As I've already stated: The transfer windows where Clubs are allowed to sign players from other teams have been and gone- Most of the other teams used the windows as they should have, it's the reason they exist in the first place. Wether FIFA allows it or not the Premier League holds the view that to allow clubs to sign these players outside of the window would go against the integrity of the league- For the reasons above I agree with them, it benefits the clubs who failed to make appropriate use of the Transfer windows that were available to them. You can't disagree with that statement because it's factual, you're whole point is "WAHHHHHHH the premier league have no right to stop us signing a player I want". Where is your argument to suggest that this doesn't benefit the clubs who failed to strengthen? Or even the clubs who have had more injuries than others etc. You haven't presented one as you don't have one.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:32 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:43 pm
It’s entirely his own choice where he feels he belongs it’s not down to you or me or anybody else to say England is his own country he might personally feel Nigeria is, we shouldn’t be trying to speak for somebody else or try to conclude on their behalf.
Looks like VM decided what nationality he his for himself. This is him after scoring for Nigeria. Looks like he didn't need Spiral for advice after all.....

Screenshot_20220328-213850_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20220328-213850_Google.jpg (348.59 KiB) Viewed 2438 times
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:20 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:32 pm
Looks like VM decided what nationality he his for himself. This is him after scoring for Nigeria. Looks like he didn't need Spiral for advice after all.....

That’s true it’s up to the bloke himself to decide where he feels he belongs, imploding turtle/spiral 2 of the same beast don’t need to decide for him or anybody else let victor choose for himself.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:28 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:30 pm
Wether FIFA allows it or not the Premier League holds the view that to allow clubs to sign these players outside of the window would go against the integrity of the league- For the reasons above I agree with them, it benefits the clubs who failed to make appropriate use of the Transfer windows that were available to them. You can't disagree with that statement because it's factual, you're whole point is "WAHHHHHHH the premier league have no right to stop us signing a player I want". Where is your argument to suggest that this doesn't benefit the clubs who failed to strengthen? Or even the clubs who have had more injuries than others etc. You haven't presented one as you don't have one.
I'm going to try something a bit different. I'm not going to say anything new, but instead quote-post only what I've already said on this thread because contained in these posts are my counterpoints, and there's no point in just re-phrasing them. Bear in mind that my entire angle here is in pointing out the contradictions and non sequiturs in the proposition that goes along the lines, "allowing registration under these conditions harms competition integrity."
Spiral wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:00 pm
If our attempt to sign Moses is contestable, then so is Sheffield's with Uremovic...

Let's find a truth-preserving line of reasoning in all this and discover why for two identical situations, the action of one maintains sporting integrity, and the other does not....

Publicly demand explanations why a Championship club is allowed to sign a player with a suspended contract but we are not. Ask the PL if it believes the policy of UEFA and FIFA harms the integrity of football...

Ask the PL if, owing to the Uremovic signing, it feels the Championship is competed at to lower standard of integrity than the PL.
Spiral wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:02 pm
FIFA and UEFA policy recognises Moses as having the status of a free-agent. The PL's position contradicts this.
Spiral wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:10 pm
The particulars of who might sign whom and the consequences on clubs' fortunes are no different than during any transfer window because, as in standard registration periods, the marketplace is open to all. That Arsenal, for example, might find no value in shopping in the Russian league during this exceptional period is no different to them looking at their squad in January and saying, "we're happy with our squad, we won't be signing anyone this month." Is the integrity of the league compromised when Spurs then go and strengthen their squad during that period? If you can't afford a player whom another club then goes and signs, this distorts the power balances in the league, does it not?...

The only argument I can see being made is that we might want to take advantage of this exceptional registration period where other clubs might not, but if it follows that this has a damaging effect on the tournament's integrity, then it must follow that this is true of other transfer windows where clubs decide to strengthen their squad or to not.
Spiral wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:01 am
The team that squanders its chance to strengthen in the summer is allowed to regain a competitive advantage in January by using the January registration period to add players to its squad. The team the squanders its chance to strengthen in January is allowed to regain a competitive advantage in the summer by using the summer registration period to add players to its squad. And so on and so forth, ad infinitum...

This exceptional registration period allowed by FIFA (and UEFA) can be exploited by EVERY team in any permitting league should they so wish, and as such is has no greater impact on competition integrity than any other transfer window.

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:32 pm

Where is your argument to suggest that this doesn't benefit the clubs who failed to strengthen? Or even the clubs who have had more injuries than others etc. You haven't presented one as you don't have one.

Where is your response to this? Which is the crooks of the argument and the one you keep overlooking...

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:35 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Not a single person on this thread has suggested he is not Nigerian. Quelle surprise, Ringo misses the point.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:42 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:35 pm
Not a single person on this thread has suggested he is not Nigerian. Quelle surprise, Ringo misses the point.
It’s you inferring racist remarks about VM being English & nothing else which set things off, just leave things be & stop trying to control & dictate & decide what people think, engage in alternative views which are different to your cognitive perceptions. You’ll get on in life a lot better.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:45 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:32 pm
Where is your argument to suggest that this doesn't benefit the clubs who failed to strengthen? Or even the clubs who have had more injuries than others etc. You haven't presented one as you don't have one.

Where is your response to this? Which is the crooks of the argument and the one you keep overlooking...
Could you re-phrase that because I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking?

If I understand what you're asking, the answer is that this registration period benefits whomsoever takes advantage of it. But this is true of any transfer window, which is my point. If Man City fail to sign a forward the the summer and fail to produce results, following from your argument (if I understand you correctly), City could use the January window to their benefit — having failed to strengthen in the summer — by acquiring a striker who then goes on to produce for City, thus closing the gap on their title rivals, and this, according to you, would be interpreted as "benefit(ting) the clubs who failed to strengthen? Or even the clubs who have had more injuries than others etc". Your point seems to boil down to, 'this provides a reprieve for those who lacked preparedness in the prior window,' but this is true of ANY transfer window.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:55 pm

I think Spiral's right. I can't see how the 'integrity' of the league is threatened/compromised by this.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:00 pm

****IN' THANK YOU! I'm glad at least one person is following what I'm saying!

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:23 pm

Spiral wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:45 pm
Could you re-phrase that because I'm not sure I completely understand what you're asking?

If I understand what you're asking, the answer is that this registration period benefits whomsoever takes advantage of it. But this is true of any transfer window, which is my point. If Man City fail to sign a forward the the summer and fail to produce results, following from your argument (if I understand you correctly), City could use the January window to their benefit — having failed to strengthen in the summer — by acquiring a striker who then goes on to produce for City, thus closing the gap on their title rivals, and this, according to you, would be interpreted as "benefit(ting) the clubs who failed to strengthen? Or even the clubs who have had more injuries than others etc". Your point seems to boil down to, 'this provides a reprieve for those who lacked preparedness in the prior window,' but this is true of ANY transfer window.
Yes its true of any transfer window but only if its known about and prepared for. Is it still fair for the clubs who don't have squad positions available for these players because they filled the squad, quite rightly, in light of the rules as they have always been?

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:26 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:

Like Scott Arfield decided on Canada, as he qualified and played his heart out, no doubt. I bet he let it all out gor his team mates too.

He is still very Scottish!

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:41 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:23 pm
Yes its true of any transfer window but only if its known about and prepared for. Is it still fair for the clubs who don't have squad positions available for these players because they filled the squad, quite rightly, in light of the rules as they have always been?
We can't know if the PL would have made provisions for allowing an exceptional temporary increase in the permissible registered squad size to (up to) 27 because the PL killed the idea in its crib and we never got to look at how the PL would have accommodated these players fleeing Ukraine and Russia. We're wading into the territory of pure speculation with your question, but it would have been simple (and fair and probably desirable) to declare a temporary increase in squad sizes to (up to) 27, provided those additional two players meet the criteria as recognised under FIFA's exceptional policy. And do you know who would benefit the most from this? The well prepared teams who already had 25 players, and who now have the opportunity to pick from 25+2 from Russia/Ukraine as recognised according to FIFA policy.

Again, I'll quote-post something I posted earlier.
Spiral wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:24 pm
You also need to consider proportionality. This is in the context of a war, don't forget.
By their nature wars tend to create situations that could not have been foreseen.

dsr
Been Liked: 4578 times
Has Liked: 2270 times

Post by dsr » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:58 pm

boyyanno wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:30 pm
Spiral you must have been pretending to be an ostrich at the time so missed my response to you, but clearly the above is nonsense itself in light of my post. I'm still waiting for your side of the "argument" in light of what I've said. I've put it again below hopefully you don't "miss" It again this time. :roll:

The normal rule about transfer windows is that players who are under contract at another club can only be registered during transfer windows, but players who are free agents can be registered at any time. Under FIFA rules, Victor Moses is a free agent. The PL has decided that under their rules, free agents can still be signed as long as they didn't become a free agent because of the war in Ukraine. If Moses had been a free agent for other reasons, or for that matter if the war had started before 31st January, he would have been OK to sign.

And "you can't disagree with that statement because it's factual" is unfortunately wrong on two counts. I can disagree, and it isn't factual. We're trying to get away from the "I am right because I am right and you are wrong because you don't agree with me" sort of arguments on here. It could be argued as a matter of opinion, not of fact that failing to sign Moses when he was under contract and we would have had to pay a fee is neglectful and ought to deny us the right to sign him as a free agent; but it could also be argued that that argument could be extended to all free agents.

One of the essential points barely covered so far (at least, not that I can see) is that the rule applying to free agent signings was put in place because legally it would be almost certainly not allowed to block free agents from earning their living by this rule. If someone is genuinely, not through his own fault, without a job, it would be a breach of employment law to stop him taking gainful employment. I suspect it is too late to take that one to court because the season would be over before it was heard. But I bet (given time) we would win the case.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:21 am

Spiral wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:35 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:58 pm
Oh come off it you bigot. The lad came to the UK when he was a child. He was granted asylum after both his parents were murdered in some religious riot. He's Nigerian, but his home is the UK. It's where his family is settled. England is his home country.
The above was your reply to a post that said, and you even chose to highlight it - "His home country- that would be Nigeria then"

Here are some more posts proving your claim entirely false.

IanMcL wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:31 am

As dar as I am concerned, Moses is English and entitled to play in the prem.
daveisaclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:32 pm
He's from England.
daveisaclaret wrote:
He plays for Nigeria. He has caps for being a Nigerian international footballer. He's Nigerian.

No man is so blind as he who refuses to see.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:26 am

Just to confirm. Here's another photograph of VM playing international football for his chosen home country.

Screenshot_20220329-003715_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20220329-003715_Google.jpg (405.04 KiB) Viewed 1967 times

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11058 times
Has Liked: 5663 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:35 am

has he signed yet?

Sproggy
Been Liked: 667 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by Sproggy » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:06 am

Bullabill wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:55 pm
I think Spiral's right. I can't see how the 'integrity' of the league is threatened/compromised by this.
Chelsea have just had a debt of £1.5 billion written off.

Sporting integrity.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:36 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:26 am
Just to confirm. Here's another photograph of VM playing international football for his chosen home country.

Screenshot_20220329-003715_Google.jpg
Only when he was overlooked for England's senior team after nearly 30 appearances & 11 goals for the England youth teams
article-2061753-0ECEF2A300000578-309_468x482.jpg
article-2061753-0ECEF2A300000578-309_468x482.jpg (53.56 KiB) Viewed 1779 times

boyyanno

Post by boyyanno » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:53 am

dsr wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:58 pm
The normal rule about transfer windows is that players who are under contract at another club can only be registered during transfer windows, but players who are free agents can be registered at any time. Under FIFA rules, Victor Moses is a free agent. The PL has decided that under their rules, free agents can still be signed as long as they didn't become a free agent because of the war in Ukraine. If Moses had been a free agent for other reasons, or for that matter if the war had started before 31st January, he would have been OK to sign.

And "you can't disagree with that statement because it's factual" is unfortunately wrong on two counts. I can disagree, and it isn't factual. We're trying to get away from the "I am right because I am right and you are wrong because you don't agree with me" sort of arguments on here. It could be argued as a matter of opinion, not of fact that failing to sign Moses when he was under contract and we would have had to pay a fee is neglectful and ought to deny us the right to sign him as a free agent; but it could also be argued that that argument could be extended to all free agents.

One of the essential points barely covered so far (at least, not that I can see) is that the rule applying to free agent signings was put in place because legally it would be almost certainly not allowed to block free agents from earning their living by this rule. If someone is genuinely, not through his own fault, without a job, it would be a breach of employment law to stop him taking gainful employment. I suspect it is too late to take that one to court because the season would be over before it was heard. But I bet (given time) we would win the case.
Of course it's factual :lol:

It absolutley benefits teams that failed to strengthen. How does it not?

All teams entered the season under the impression they had two transfer windows to sign players under contract at other clubs, all teams were aware that they could sign free agents outside of this. No teams were aware that this situation would happen and therefore most will have used their resource in the windows that they knew about.

For example if they have injured players, failed to strengthen etc. It disadvantages those that have already used up their budget and or filled squad positions.

Spiral also acknowledges this as he mentions a rule change to increase squad sizes, and would no doubt just start inventing other rules to make it fairer, but as it stands even he (by infernce) acknowledges that at this given moment it would be unfair to some clubs.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:50 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:21 am
He plays for Nigeria. He has caps for being a Nigerian international footballer. He's Nigerian.
Andy Townsend pretends he's Irish.
And Danny Higginbotham played for Gibraltar....

I'm not sure this method really works

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:53 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:36 am
Only when he was overlooked for England's senior team after nearly 30 appearances & 11 goals for the England youth teams

article-2061753-0ECEF2A300000578-309_468x482.jpg
Overlooked?

Or when later considered, had he already chosen to play for his "home country", the country of his birth at senior level? .....

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:54 am

Roosterbooster wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:50 am
Andy Townsend pretends he's Irish.
And Danny Higginbotham played for Gibraltar....

I'm not sure this method really works
He was born in Nigeria.

See if that method works......

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:59 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:54 am
He was born in Nigeria.

See if that method works......
Well them Townsend is English and Higginbotham is English.
The point is it's not just as simple as where you were born or who you played for

Terry Butcher, Raheem Sterling, John Barnes, Marc Guehi, Owen Hargreaves... all born outside of England

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:12 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:53 am
Overlooked?

Or when later considered, had he already chosen to play for his "home country", the country of his birth at senior level? .....
He was overlooked, so he waited two years after his last u21 appearance and then switched allegiance.
Same as Zaha who after 2 caps for England senior team in friendlies and then nothing for 4yrs, so he switched to Ivory Coast.

Declan Rice - started off at senior level with Eire and then switched allegiance to England, took him about 5mths to do that.

A place of birth doesn't mean much nowadays with the criteria for international football being flexible.

Matty Cash decided he had more chance of playing for Poland, his mum's country, depsite being born and raised in England, do you take such issue with that?
Tarks had the same option but chose to stick with England.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:16 am

Roosterbooster wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:59 am
Well them Townsend is English and Higginbotham is English.
The point is it's not just as simple as where you were born or who you played for

Terry Butcher, Raheem Sterling, John Barnes, Marc Guehi, Owen Hargreaves... all born outside of England
It’s possible by different means ancestral lines, country of birth etc to qualify for different countries in this particular case VM himself has decided to represent Nigeria on the international front everything else is secondary, he’s been chosen & he’s made that choice, it’s not uncommon if any said player if they think they’ve got better prospects enhancing a club career or themselves feel stronger allegiances to that chosen country.