Free signings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Free signings

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun May 22, 2022 8:19 pm

I think this is going to be the key for us next season, with so many out of contract we need to be looking at players caoable of performing in thr championshop and able to step up if we get promoted again or at least have sell on value

Two that spring to mind are Wallace at Millwall and Lawrence at Derby.

As shown with Bournemouth last year, sometimes pkayers would rather have a shot at promotion than sign for a bottom of the table Premiership club.

Any more names?

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Re: Free signings

Post by bf2k » Sun May 22, 2022 8:21 pm

Problem with freebies is they almost always come with massively inflated wages, which we won’t/can’t pay.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun May 22, 2022 8:23 pm

Jed Wallace definitely if we can afford him.

JR1882
Been Liked: 171 times

Post by JR1882 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:25 pm

Something we rarely take advantage of in past years.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11048 times
Has Liked: 5657 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun May 22, 2022 8:25 pm

need the manager sorted Monday morning
These 2 users liked this post: DCWat whiffa

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2000 times
Has Liked: 1145 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun May 22, 2022 8:27 pm

Need the Chairman sorted before a new Manager

Slurpy
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Slurpy » Sun May 22, 2022 8:30 pm

Hopefully a foreign manager with some players to bring with him
This user liked this post: Cleveleys_claret

colne-claret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by colne-claret » Sun May 22, 2022 8:48 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:23 pm
I was gutted we didn't go for him in January.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun May 22, 2022 8:55 pm

If all the OOC's go we will need a few experienced players. For me Delph and Matt Ritchie are potentials

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun May 22, 2022 8:57 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:23 pm
West Brom in for him. Think there will be a queue.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Sun May 22, 2022 8:58 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:55 pm
If all the OOC's go we will need a few experienced players. For me Delph and Matt Ritchie are potentials
I hope we stop going for players that are over 30. Thats just me maybe but we need players which arent going to just end their career with us, we need to be looking at the other end of tbe spectrum in my opinion, or mid 20's we can have for a couple of years and move on for a fee. Signing older players is a big part of why we are where we are right now
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2107 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun May 22, 2022 9:21 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:58 pm
I hope we stop going for players that are over 30. Thats just me maybe but we need players which arent going to just end their career with us, we need to be looking at the other end of tbe spectrum in my opinion, or mid 20's we can have for a couple of years and move on for a fee. Signing older players is a big part of why we are where we are right now
Spot on, Dyche allowed it to all become too comfortable. We need some young lads who've maybe been rejected by the bigger clubs coming in with a burning desire to prove a point. Like Trippier and Ings when we first picked them up.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Cleveleys_claret

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sun May 22, 2022 10:19 pm

These are some of the players that I was considering for my Summer Tombola list. My thinking was players who could form the basis of a solid young Championship calibre squad in anticipation of a relegation next season. Oh, and potentially cheap, since we have no money.

The players I associated with significant transfer fees, by the standards of our current finances, constituted another list. However, the relegation has made that names on that list even more unlikely as possible signings than the names in these tables.

Amongst them are a number of players that would have been difficult signings for us to pull off, even if we had stayed up, along with a couple that have questionable elements attached to them.

For example, Florian Grillitsch and Amos Pieper were being linked with bigger clubs than us the last time I checked on them. I suggested going for Pieper last Summer along with Wallace. A small fee could have probably secured the signature of Wallace last Summer or maybe even early Winter at a push. I think signing him in the next window would have been a struggle even if we had stayed up, because I imagine he will be attracting quite a bit of interest on a free transfer.

Cristian Pavon was recently suspended for an after match incident involving the whole Boca Juniors team and the police, which doesn't suggest the best character. However, even without the conduct questions, I suspect he will join LA Galaxy if they have room in their salary cap for him.

Riechedly Bazoer is a bit of strange one. Hugely talented, but his career stalled due to his desire to be played as a creative forward midfielder, despite having obvious attributes that make him more suited to the role of a central defender or defensive midfielder. Vitesse locked him into their left sided defensive slot and he has been excellent for them.

Some of the U22 players on here are ones for the future and not knowing how we are going to set up to play made it hard to suggest wingers. It seems obvious that over this season we have had it in mind to do away with the classical deep cross approach of Dyche and transition towards the same goal orientated inverted wingers that a lot of other clubs favour.

Moving forward I think that the decision to change to a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 system has already been taken. Hence my inclusion of some inverted wingers in this list. That said, Solbakken can do it all on the left or right side. He would have been a very good player for us, along with Berg and Andre Bjorkan who left FK Boldo Glimt in the Winter window..

I could go on with summaries, but I think that most of these players are now beyond us. I would have liked to see us look at Pieper, Solbakken, Pepelu ( a bit slow and a bit sleight, but very talented ), Bijol, Bazoer and Kofod Anderson from the foreign contingent. In respect to the domestic market Mitchell, Barlasser, Swift, Ralls and maybe Flemming would have been near the top of my further investigation list.

In terms of a Pope replacement I would have gone with Daniel Iverson, but I suspect we would be hard pushed to attract Michael Cooper from Plymouth now, never mind Iverson.

It is hard to see what we could put forward as a viable lure to attract players to the club in the next window. Pace and Co have pretty much bungled away every potenial draw factor we had. At least the recruitment team will have a valid excuse for failing in the next window and the media team can work overtime to generate the false positives associated with our plight.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun May 22, 2022 10:22 pm

Can we re-sign Longy, Lenno and Ash ? Please, let’s never let go. Ever.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon May 23, 2022 12:46 am

Slurpy wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:30 pm
Hopefully a foreign manager with some players to bring with him
Then they all go soft in winter and couldn't give a toss.