Labrador dogs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Re: Labrador dogs

Post by CnBtruntru » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:55 pm

DocFoster wrote:I normally feed mine Wagg mixed with tinned food. Never thought of adding the kids. That would have saved me years of grief.

Fantastic dogs.
So we don't have them all coming around at Halloween, just does have an issue digesting the shoes though.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:44 pm

Bullabill wrote:
Copy of Dog & cat 3 copy.jpg 2.jpg
Had Labs for years, all colours, the current one is a chocolate. Wonderful pets, but be aware that golden and cream tend to shed quite a bit of hair, black and chocolate very little.
Depends what colour carpets you have. Cream carpets will shown dark brown or black hairs. Dark carpets will show white hairs.

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 229 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:09 pm

My wife runs home dog boarding & we get a lot of labs & after reading some of the comments & sentiments around dogs & the loss of a mans best friend I thought I would comment. Losing what is your best friend who only wants a walk, pat & a bowl of food & is always there for you is hard, I've always had a couple of Westies & have been devastated when they pass away & no more than my last who was only 5 & died of cancer. I now have 2, aged 15 months & 4 years. All labs are daft & the worst we have had have been black, Browns quiet & blondes a bit in between, all would eat till they burst & shed very heavily. A great dog for a family who would walk forever, a safe & if there are any predictable dogs it's labs.
This user liked this post: JPS71

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:29 pm

They're from Canada. They have to be great!!! (Ahhhhh. Puppies.)

BennyD
Been Liked: 1338 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by BennyD » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:57 pm

In #20 I mentioned a very good mate who has got a black lab that I just can't get on with. He just told me that he was working in the garden yesterday and said dog ran straight through him, skittled him and tore all the ligaments in his ankle. It appears he will be off work for quite a while. Looks like I'll have to think 3 times before I go up now. Still not a fan.

balzak69
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by balzak69 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:20 pm

7decades wrote:Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it
if you could post email address I can give you a name and number regards Labradors,i haven't directly spoken to the gentleman concerned regards cost/when pups can leave mum.but I'm sure if you give him a call you will get all the info you require,regards balzak69

7decades
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by 7decades » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:30 am

balzak69 wrote:if you could post email address I can give you a name and number regards Labradors,i haven't directly spoken to the gentleman concerned regards cost/when pups can leave mum.but I'm sure if you give him a call you will get all the info you require,regards balzak69

thanks balzak

philburnleyrichardson@yahoo.co.uk

regards phil

yorkshireclaret
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by yorkshireclaret » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:55 am

have you consiered a rescue dog. We used labrador welfare who re home labradors. We rescued our labarador from them 18 months ago and he is a superb dog.
This user liked this post: Midmoorclaret

7decades
Been Liked: 113 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by 7decades » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:35 am

yorkshireclaret wrote:have you consiered a rescue dog. We used labrador welfare who re home labradors. We rescued our labarador from them 18 months ago and he is a superb dog.

Yes , been in contact with 3 rescue centres and quite frankly all of them don`t really seem to care enough to respond, Manyana is too quick for them !

yorkshireclaret
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by yorkshireclaret » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:51 pm

Remember they are run by volunteers so can't always get straight back to you

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:54 pm

7decades wrote:Yes , been in contact with 3 rescue centres and quite frankly all of them don`t really seem to care enough to respond, Manyana is too quick for them !
Is Manyana golden or black?

Rodneyyouplonker
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by Rodneyyouplonker » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:28 pm

Have a look at Bleakholt Animal Sanctuary, some lovely fantastic dogs looking for a new home, giving a rescue dog a home is a fantastic feeling, we got our Ridgeback x bitch 5 years ago from there and she is lovely best decision we ever made, give a dog a home.

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Get a cat they walk themselves and bury their own sh+t you know it makes sense!

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 pm

LordBob wrote: and bury their own sh+t
They don't.

They do it in someone else's garden.

Vermin.

LordBob
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by LordBob » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:19 am

OK got a question ... do you, dog owners that is, pick up all of your animals effluent lets have a roll call my brother would love to know and he will then tell his granddaughter who is blind in one eye, silly girl played on the public park.

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:21 am

Have known a few nice labs. But for me, if you want a dog that is wonderful with young kids, will take any amount of play and clowning around, you can't go wrong with a boxer. When my two young 'uns were growing up, our boxer "Cajun", a big barrel-chested fella and a gorgeous brindle color, just loved playing with them for as long as they wanted, and vice-versa, and he was very protective of them when out and about. Miss our star-light walks with the old lad, and have a great pic somewhere of him wearing a claret and blue scarf seeing me off on the day we beat Stockport at Wembley.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 am

LordBob wrote:OK got a question ... do you, dog owners that is, pick up all of your animals effluent lets have a roll call my brother would love to know and he will then tell his granddaughter who is blind in one eye, silly girl played on the public park.
This is definitely the thread on which to blame your brother’s granddaughter’s blindness on someone.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1186 times
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:42 am

We lost our 7 year old Weimaraner to cancer earlier this year, which absolutely destroyed me and the mrs as he was such a fantastic dog and great with our 1 year old.

In June we missed having a dog in the home and plumped for a chocolate lab who is now approaching being 11 months old. Aside the usual puppy problems (socks going awol, having to watch him around food) he’s an absolute belter and is already best mate to my little boy. It’s definitely a challenge training a pup though and I would certainly suggest obedience classes are a good idea, particularly if you have not owned dogs before. A lot of dogs will walk all over you, given incorrect training.

Secondly, crate training will ease your troubles with toilet training and also give the dog somewhere to retreat to. We’vee done this with all our dogs and never had an issue with chewing furniture, etc.

What I will say is that they are certainly ‘big’ dogs. Whilst the Weimaraner was taller, I have noticed the Labrador is more solid and weighty whilst not overweight. If you wanted something smaller, maybe a beagle would be a good one to look at?

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 437 times
Has Liked: 371 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:29 am

We don’t have a lab, although my wife did as a teenage when we met and the dog had the nicest temperament ever- she was black, going grey when I knew her!

We got a spaniel around 11 months old from a spaniel rescue centre at the start of the year. The advantage was he was already trained, although he had separation anxiety but that is better now. Love the little git, don’t mind being out in the dark and wet with him and it feels right we rescued him.

ebby
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 259 times

Post by ebby » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:33 pm

We have a Groodle, half Golden Retriver & half Standard Poodle. Very intelligent, great with people and best bit, doesnt shed hair as she has a wool coat.

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:08 pm

conyoviejo wrote:I've been training guide dog pups for a few years now and I can assure you that they are a very clever dog ...just ask a partially sighted person who owns one..
Now that is something I would love to do once I've retired and have more time. Labradors are not just trained for the blind they are trained to be assistance dogs for people in all sorts of predicaments. I always thought they are intelligent and are wonderfully calm natured. I've got two Spaniels who are both barmy and definitely wouldn't cut the mustard as a guide / assistance dog!

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by criminalclaret » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Dogs are wonderful addition to family, but I would consider outside of any one breed. Labs are great but there are dogs for all abilities and energy levels.

I'd certainly look into rescue homes around your area first than buying one from a man in a pub. Your giving a dog a second chance for circumstances they don't controlling (owner dying, relocation, bad owners who should never be allowed near animals). My beagle was the runt from a horse stud that never made it and was getting battered and bruised by the other lads in a small compound. And my lurcher had been abused my travellers on a halting site (f**king bastards) who then threw her out of a dual carriageway before I took her in.....both of which now are the most gentle animals and are regularly around little kids and adults.

But it's one of the best things I ever did. I'm committed to looking after them in all weather's run them off every week (during winter, pretty much every night in summer). Take them to the pub and walking up the hills.

Edit. Typo on mobile

There less annoying than and children and more loyal :)
This user liked this post: Healeywoodclaret

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:54 pm

I’ve got a 6 year old Shar Pei. I’m looking at trading her in for a newer model and I’m told she’s really retained her value.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:56 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Now that is something I would love to do once I've retired and have more time. Labradors are not just trained for the blind they are trained to be assistance dogs for people in all sorts of predicaments. I always thought they are intelligent and are wonderfully calm natured. I've got two Spaniels who are both barmy and definitely wouldn't cut the mustard as a guide / assistance dog!
Last year we had a labradoodle for a few months,it was the most wonderful dog we have had and we've had quite a lot ..A fantastic temperament and attitude..Its now been fully trained and is a working dog now and doing very well for its blind owner ...
This user liked this post: Healeywoodclaret

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:29 pm

We had a Labrador (Spike was his name) for 14 years and have to say he was
absolutely fantastic especially with my daughter who was about six years old when we got him.

Nowadays you do need to factor in costs.
If you go for a pedigree it'll cost you a few hundred if not more to actually buy
and then you've got food etc.
You do need to exercise them regularly too which means you'll need to find
an hour or so a day to do so.

However, the returns will outweigh any downside.
They quickly become a member of the family.