ARTICLE: Clubs should hang their heads in shame over derby tickets

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Re: ARTICLE: Clubs should hang their heads in shame over derby tickets

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:14 pm

Boss Hogg wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:08 pm
The system does need revamping but will representatives of supporters group want to suggest this if they personally lose out in a fairer system for all ?
Yep that’s crossed my mind too !
Well I know I for one would be prepared to lose out if it meant developing a fairer system.
There is no system that will please everyone - that is the only guarantee !!

TravisBickle
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by TravisBickle » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:54 am

ŽižkovClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:16 am
Anyone too young to have earned the requisite 6k points should be refused entry
What if they had two paper rounds and bought two tickets per game to increase their points through taking the option of sheer loyalty?

Enola Gay
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Enola Gay » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:54 am

levraiclaret wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:57 pm
Some people write match reports for every game, and some people ( me ) value those reports.
Do you need a stepladder to get over yourself or can you manage without one?

Enola Gay
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Enola Gay » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:59 am

Any more posters show their arses on this thread we'll have to move it over to OnlyFans...
These 2 users liked this post: ChristheViking GodIsADeeJay81

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:08 am

Enola Gay wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:59 am
Any more posters show their arses on this thread we'll have to move it over to OnlyFans...
:lol: :lol:

Commy
Been Liked: 469 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by Commy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:50 am

I moved away and couldn't get to home games so didn't buy a season ticket. I have lost all of my points.

HalifaxClaret
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by HalifaxClaret » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:26 am

Commy wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:50 am
I moved away and couldn't get to home games so didn't buy a season ticket. I have lost all of my points.
Surely if you still have your Clarets number you still have the points accrued. It's the stipulation for having a current season ticket that would scupper you for getting tickets.

Jjjack
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 308 times

Post by Jjjack » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:31 am

Commy wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:50 am
Email the club, if you have a new clarets number they can find your old one off past addresses and merge them irrc.

Terry Cochrane
Been Liked: 68 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by Terry Cochrane » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:41 am

Interesting debate and speaking as one who has been to over half the away games this season but nowhere near the points level to get into the ballot as only had a season ticket for the last 7 years it’s an argument simply about what is a fair system. One that rewards age? Why should younger supporters always miss out in situations like this?

I fully support the way the Club did this. It’s upset some longer older supporters sure but as they say that’s the luck of the draw. Shame for those who missed out and great for those who were lucky. At least we know those who got them are loyal (except those who got mates to buy for them).
These 3 users liked this post: TravisBickle bfcmartin Stalbansclaret

Burnley87
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Burnley87 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:46 am

Honestly the most self righteous post iv ever seen in my life.

Anybody over 6000 points should be entitled to a chance of a ticket.

Why should someone at 23 years old who attends every burnley game not be allowed to attend because somebody who is 60 plus has the benefit of age on there side in this matter

Your contribution to this board is exceptional and you are a credit to the football club however you have let yourself down to not recognise that we have supporters from all ages who also deserve to attend. The next generation of fans should be as entitled as you are to attend this fixture as let’s be honest we aren’t all going to be around forever
These 3 users liked this post: TravisBickle bfcmartin Stalbansclaret

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:59 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:01 pm
The moderators have been all over this thread removing posts when it suited.
Libel? Bullying?
Or even the constant harassment by you towards the OP. I'm sure he has the capacity to respond if he requires and he does not deserve the constant intimidation by you.
This user liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:15 am

What I don't get is that when the poppy shirts were sold by auction a few weeks back there were lots on here claiming that an auction wasn't fair. Instead people said a fairer system would be to raffle them. How many of the people who argued that a raffle was the fairer system for the poppy shirts are now arguing that a raffle is not fair when there are more fans wanting to go to a game when the number of tickets available are limited?

I get it that lots wanted to go to Ewood Park and celebrate in our neighbour's ground that BFC are top of the league. So, Blackburn Rovers have switched things around and put a limit on the number of Burnley fans who will be in their ground that evening.

I think it was Michelle Obama who said "when they go low, we go high." (I doubt she was the first to express this approach). That's not a bad way to set out your life.
These 5 users liked this post: MeeActon1 Conroysleftfoot bfcjg wilks_bfc Bigbopper

Sozturf7
Been Liked: 89 times

Post by Sozturf7 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:26 am

Very well put Paul.

D8BFC
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by D8BFC » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:51 am

Enola Gay wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:59 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:51 am

“Credit to the football club” :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not sure Stan agreed.
Burnley87 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:46 am
Honestly the most self righteous post iv ever seen in my life.

Anybody over 6000 points should be entitled to a chance of a ticket.

Why should someone at 23 years old who attends every burnley game not be allowed to attend because somebody who is 60 plus has the benefit of age on there side in this matter

Your contribution to this board is exceptional and you are a credit to the football club however you have let yourself down to not recognise that we have supporters from all ages who also deserve to attend. The next generation of fans should be as entitled as you are to attend this fixture as let’s be honest we aren’t all going to be around forever

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:11 pm

Can’t be that hard to get one for the home seats surely

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:20 pm

LS7 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:11 pm
Probably not. But supporters should be aware of the risks if they get spotted and it causes trouble. It'll mean said supporters then face a potential lifetime ban.

Is that really worth it?

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:33 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:59 am
Or even the constant harassment by you towards the OP. I'm sure he has the capacity to respond if he requires and he does not deserve the constant intimidation by you.
Don’t give me that, this whole thread has been in response to a whingefest from someone who thought he was entitled to special treatment and threw his dummy out when he didn’t get what he wanted. Constant harassment and intimidation my backside.
This user liked this post: deanothedino

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:41 pm

Spijed wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:20 pm
Probably not. But supporters should be aware of the risks if they get spotted and it causes trouble. It'll mean said supporters then face a potential lifetime ban.

Is that really worth it?
There really is something really wrong if you attend a sporting event with a risk of being banned for life just for being there.

I’ve got tickets in the home end (and 1 in the away end). I want to watch the match, not cause trouble. Is anyone suggesting that if it becomes known I’m a Burnley fan in the home end (I won’t be making it obvious, even if I did why would it matter!) that I face a life time ban if trouble starts because I’m there? Seems daft to me.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:51 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:41 pm
There really is something really wrong if you attend a sporting event with a risk of being banned for life just for being there.

I’ve got tickets in the home end (and 1 in the away end). I want to watch the match, not cause trouble. Is anyone suggesting that if it becomes known I’m a Burnley fan in the home end (I won’t be making it obvious, even if I did why would it matter!) that I face a life time ban if trouble starts because I’m there? Seems daft to me.
Each to their own but I honestly don’t get why people would bother with the home end tickets. I could not hide my emotions if we scored against them, I could not handle watching Burnley fans taunting them and having to stay quiet, and I could not think of anything worse than being amongst that lot. Add that to the fact it’s on tv anyway, with the fanzone option being available for fans to get together I don’t see the fascination

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:53 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:

It certainly shouldn't but you only have to look at the heavy handed nature with which the police have controlled the crowds in these matches that they won't be taking kindly to any supporter in the home end that shouldn't be there.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Post by deanothedino » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:55 pm

PremierLeagueClass wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:09 pm
Which is wrong in my opinion.

I’m not saying don’t let people into a ballot past a certain point so you’ve got a chance but surely there has to be some incentive to keep going. Otherwise, what’s the point in continuing to accrue points past 6,000?
Because you want to watch the football? Surely no one is sad enough to just buy tickets in order to get loyalty points.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:58 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:

Because you'd be viewed as antagonising the home fans (which you would be if it became known you were a Burnley fan). Bear in mind it's the individual's actions that will cause it to "be known" that you are a Burnley fan, so if your intentions are to go there and sit silently and just be at the match you'll be fine.

Here's-Johnny
Been Liked: 63 times

Post by Here's-Johnny » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:49 pm

Spijed wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:53 pm
It certainly shouldn't but you only have to look at the heavy handed nature with which the police have controlled the crowds in these matches that they won't be taking kindly to any supporter in the home end that shouldn't be there.
I think sitting in the away is a bit reckless in this situation especially with a couple of kids in tow. It's not natural to sit on your hands for 90 minutes all quiet.

Targetman
Been Liked: 506 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Targetman » Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:54 pm

LS7 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:11 pm
Not if you are willing to buy tickets for all their last 5 home games!

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:07 pm

Targetman wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:54 pm
Not if you are willing to buy tickets for all their last 5 home games!
Anyone who had the foresight a few weeks ago to register with their ticket office can buy a ticket for this one match , apparently.

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:19 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:11 pm
Sorry I meant consensus developing on this thread
I'm not so convinced, there are plenty of comments on here (Leisure for instance), that seem fine with the current system.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 12499 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:29 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:19 pm
I'm not so convinced, there are plenty of comments on here (Leisure for instance), that seem fine with the current system.
Don't recall ever saying that the current system is fine! But making changes for the sake of making changes is not for me. What I have said is that whatever changes are made will benefit some people but will unfortunately be to the detriment of others. When demand far outstrips supply there's no system that will keep everyone happy.
These 2 users liked this post: cav bfcmartin

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:39 pm

aggi wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:19 pm
Ok there’s 3 or 4 agree !!

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:39 pm

It isn't rocket science to devise a system that works.

For instance, why should loyalty points be a lifelong thing, especially if someone stops buying season tickets?

For every year you don't buy a season ticket, points should be deducted, either the full ST amount or half, that way we avoid people qualifying for games like this despite not having had a season ticket for x amount of years

A cap on the number of points that can be accumulated, so that deductions can actually be meaningful, 6k generally seems to be the lower limit for certain games, so make that the most that can be accumulated, but when that limits reached, maybe offer retail based loyalty points for them to use in the shop instead, like Tesco's/Nectar do so there's still a reward for continuingly buying season tickets.

Of course there's always been a push back on suggestions to changing the system on here, because it's a regular topic of discussion but for a club to grow and give fans a fair chance something needs to be done

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:43 pm

This thread will be laughable when we're back to taking 900 to away games in the Premier League again..
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie DAVETHEVICAR Milltown1882

Leisure
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 12499 times

Post by Leisure » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:10 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:39 pm
It isn't rocket science to devise a system that works.
If it was that easy, surely there'd be a one fit for all that all clubs then used. The fact that practically every Club has a different scheme seems to indicate that it's not as simple as you think. If a Club was starting a scheme from scratch then yes, that should be fairly easy to come up with something that's fair to everyone but to start changing a long established one is far more difficult. How do you come up with something which will be fair to long term supporters and at the same time is fair to new/young supporters?

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:17 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:10 pm
If it was that easy, surely there'd be a one fit for all that all clubs then used. The fact that practically every Club has a different scheme seems to indicate that it's not as simple as you think. If a Club was starting a scheme from scratch then yes, that should be fairly easy to come up with something that's fair to everyone but to start changing a long established one is far more difficult. How do you come up with something which will be fair to long term supporters and at the same time is fair to new/young supporters?
You do something like a first come first served basis allowing people with more loyalty the extra day to get the tickets, people who are committed to the cause would automatically ensure they'd purchase the tickets straightaway, I do agree with him it isn't rocket science, you aren't reinventing the wheel it's a simple case of rewarding people fairly for their loyalty.

claretcarrot93
Been Liked: 403 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by claretcarrot93 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:21 pm

Andreshotboots wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:43 pm
This thread will be laughable when we're back to taking 900 to away games in the Premier League again..
Not when Kompanyball gets us to Europe

BigRedrose
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by BigRedrose » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:25 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:

Rick, you say you have tickets in the home end, do you mean the use of rover's fan's season tickets, or actual, paid for, match tickets? As far as I can see they are nor on sale yet at ewood, unless you've bought the 5 match bundle they are offering.

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:28 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:29 pm
Don't recall ever saying that the current system is fine! But making changes for the sake of making changes is not for me. What I have said is that whatever changes are made will benefit some people but will unfortunately be to the detriment of others. When demand far outstrips supply there's no system that will keep everyone happy.
Fair point. We were talking about the expiring of points specifically which your previous comments didn't sound like you agreed with.

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times

Post by Chobulous » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:30 pm

Each person who wants a ticket does so because they want to watch their team. No fan is more deserving than another regardless of age or whatever. Therefor first come first served is the best system. Maximum number per person set by the club.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:31 pm

BigRedrose wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:25 pm
Rick, you say you have tickets in the home end, do you mean the use of rover's fan's season tickets, or actual, paid for, match tickets? As far as I can see they are nor on sale yet at ewood, unless you've bought the 5 match bundle they are offering.
I have an friend who is a Rovers season ticket holder who is intending to buy me 3… so I am hoping that he comes good on the promise - I have no reason to doubt him
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by bumba » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:33 pm

Leisure wrote:
It is easy though, if your a season ticket holder that season you all get the same treatment and can purchase from the first day. They could do first come first served but a ballot would probably be fairer.
Either way it's the fairest most equal system there is, everybody is treated equal.

Big Vinny K

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:36 pm

Leisure wrote:
Agree with you that it’s not easy - but that doesn’t mean it’s rocket science either.

You start with some principles like you want to reward loyalty of supporters of all ages.
Another one would be to consider / prioritise recent loyalty rather than the current system which prioritises historical loyalty even though you might have hardly attended in recent times (think 5 years is a good suggestion)
Purchasing season tickets is an obvious one - again using the 5 year rolling principle
Attendance at away games in last 5 years would receive more weighting than it does now. A lot more actually given the primary reason you have the loyalty scheme is for away games.

If you try to cover every unexpected scenario you will end up complicating any loyalty system but if you maintain the underlying principles and weightings then you can use this in pretty much the vast majority of situations

If the situation ever arose where the tickets were in such little supply that you had to consider something else then you could either develop another criteria for exceptional circumstances or agree that in those cases a ballot is required. I’d go for the ballot purely on the basis that you would struggle to get agreement on the exceptional criteria and end up spending too much time trying to come up with a solution to something that might happen rarely. But as part of that ballot process I would also say that those who are lucky enough to win are excluded from the next time the situation occurs or the losers get the first opportunity etc.
This kind of process is definitely used by some clubs. I have been to the Old Firm derby a few times and on one of those occasions we were on the coach going to the ground from a pub we had been in Hamilton. Whilst on the coach they had a ballot of the existing season ticket holders on that coach for who went on the game - it was pretty brutal. I was looking down at my feet at that point because me and my mate had our tickets for the game from my friends cousin who had a season ticket and was not one of those who had to ballot. He told us that for the next time the lads who were unlucky got priority.

As a final point I think if you did introduce a new loyalty scheme it would be fair to give people at least a seasons notice.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:41 pm

Leisure wrote:
It's as difficult as people want to make it quite simply.

I've already proposed something that would be fair to both old and young, it didn't take me long to do it either.
I could definitely come up with other workable solutions without much effort, I have done in the past

Changing a long established one isn't difficult either, just need to do it.

LiamKennyBFC
Been Liked: 62 times

Post by LiamKennyBFC » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:43 pm

Leisure wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:29 pm
Would take a while to implement which is why Im guessing nothing has happened already, but surely a rolling system over say the past 5 years where you accumulate away caps for going to away games, sell away tickets on the cap priority rewarding the ones that get to the majority of away games recently and not some sitting on points accumulated long ago. So much has been said over the thread but 350 points for a season ticket and 10 points per away game doesn't add up. Say you got to every (league) away game this season that's only 230 points. Will be 190 next season. After all we're using loyalty points to get tickets for away games.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:45 pm

Chobulous wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:30 pm
Each person who wants a ticket does so because they want to watch their team. No fan is more deserving than another regardless of age or whatever. Therefor first come first served is the best system. Maximum number per person set by the club.
Precisely, I'm absolutely amazed how little regard some of us seem to have for the disabled supporter (not even been mentioned) it's quite possible somebody with a disability can't attend as often as they would like & could be further disadvantaged with any unfair system implemented, lots of factors are at play.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:48 pm

Bigbopper wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:07 pm
Anyone who had the foresight a few weeks ago to register with their ticket office can buy a ticket for this one match , apparently.
Similarly with Rotherham. Registration then you need a purchase history.
So anybody could have bought a ticket for one of the Millers' cheaper games and they'd now be guaranteed a ticket for the Burnley or any other game.
Apparently.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1756 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:48 pm

I think most posters recognise that a system based on a rolling period is an improvement on the current situation. Even one based on season tickets is preferable to what we have now.

The only ones who seem to want the current system to remain are those with huge points totals. In a rolling system, they’d most likely still sit top of the tree, but they’d need to keep going to most games to stay there. That’s surely how it should be?
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:52 pm

One ticket per applicant unless a proven disabled supporter with an assistant.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:16 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:31 pm
I have an friend who is a Rovers season ticket holder who is intending to buy me 3… so I am hoping that he comes good on the promise - I have no reason to doubt him
My like because this is how football should be: we choose our friends without excluding those who may support different football clubs. If our two respective clubs are playing each other then should be most natural thing in the world to attend the game with our friends.

There are many, many times on this mb when we speak of fans of other clubs that we've met and spoken with before or after a game and we've all done it in a friendly manner with a shared interest in football. Life doesn't need to be so tribal.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:46 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:52 pm
One ticket per applicant unless a proven disabled supporter with an assistant.
All 2000 ballot winners need to start displaying physical & cognitive impairments now to up the allocation to 4000, they can’t say there isn’t room for them

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:00 pm

I don’t think Burnley FC should hang their head in shame at all.
The loss of the big picture here is disappointing. This has been a proper good season where our team have played some sumptuous football and winning well and very probably getting to play this brilliant football in the Premier League next season. With this phenomenal success comes problems of supply and demand, and I suspect new commercial ways of doing things - they can be said to be victims of their own success. No one is above criticism on here but I think on this occasion BFC deserves to be cut some slack. UTC

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 857 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:02 pm

This thread could top Adeola Friday for the amount of replies.