Under 50% full

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1075 times

Under 50% full

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:09 pm

I've read online B@stards as of today have only sold a total of 12,800 tickets for tomorrow's game making the total gate around 14,800 to 15,800 in a stadium that holds 31k, what a Tin pot club they are.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Re: Under 50% full

Post by Pickles » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:19 pm

And it's their best season in years.
This user liked this post: RicardoMontalban

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:20 pm

So what? I mean really so what?
I remember being on league games at the Turf when the attendances were below 3000. What is really tinpot is being obsessed with another club’s attendances.
This user liked this post: jojomk1

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5174 times

Post by Rowls » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:20 pm

They're scared of what they're about to witness.

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:23 pm

They are petrified of a title winning thrashing whislt missing out on the playoffs same time

PremierLeagueClass
Been Liked: 584 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by PremierLeagueClass » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:26 pm

That really is quite shocking.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:28 pm

Chobulous wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:20 pm
I remember being on league games at the Turf when the attendances were below 3000. What is really tinpot is being obsessed with another club’s attendances.
Poking fun at other club's attendances is extremely common amongst football fans 😉
These 3 users liked this post: AGENT_CLARET turfytopper yTib

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:29 pm

Problem is after their success in the 90s they've been on a downward trajectory and started losing generations of fans to United, Liverpool and more recently City.

We seem to be going in the other direction at the moment but things can change, so just enjoy the good times is my outlook..
These 2 users liked this post: MancunianClaret longsidepies

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10257 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:32 pm

I think it's quite significant, irrespective of the past, that in a local derby game where a win for Rovers would strengthen their play off hopes and rub our noses in the soft stuff, they can only sell a pitiful number of tickets.
Not sure what our old gates of 3000 superfans has to do with both club's current circumstances.
These 2 users liked this post: AGENT_CLARET HandforthClaret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18278 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:34 pm

Chobulous wrote:
Tbf ... having a dig is fair enough if you read what total and utter ballcocks some of theirs post about us ...

I know what you mean though ... we played to 1/2 full (and a helluva lot less) in our wilderness years.

We should let our football do the talking tomorrow night and give them a right Royal tonking again ... then take the urine over missing supporters
This user liked this post: longsidepies

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:36 pm

I think the Bastards fans who have stoically continued to boycott Ewood when the team are within sniffing distance of the PL should be praised and not ridiculed.

Venky bashing heroes, the whole bally lot of them.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:39 pm

To be honest and I hope I'm wrong, Rovers could well beat us tomorrow night. I'm astonished that their supporters aren't prepared to take up the chance, however small that might be, of seeing their lads getting one over on us.
Pretty poor, I reckon.

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 427 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:40 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:34 pm
Tbf ... having a dig is fair enough if you read what total and utter ballcocks some of theirs post about us ...

I know what you mean though ... we played to 1/2 full (and a helluva lot less) in our wilderness years.

We should let our football do the talking tomorrow night and give them a right Royal tonking again ... then take the urine over missing supporters
They’re not in the wilderness though, if they beat us they move into a play off position and would probably be favourites to stay there.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:40 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:34 pm

Yes, but being on the verge of the play-offs can hardly be considered ‘wilderness years’. Plus we’ve always pretty much filled the ground against Rovers irrespective of our league status.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:42 pm

Chobulous wrote:
Not against Rovers you didn't. Nor when we've been in with a chance of making the play-offs...
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 648 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:45 pm

martin_p wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:40 pm
Yes, but being on the verge of the play-offs can hardly be considered ‘wilderness years’. Plus we’ve always pretty much filled the ground against Rovers irrespective of our league status.
Totally agree. Remember the game at the Turf in a Premier League relegation year and we were either down, or as good as and that's all they sung at as for most of the game.

Still filled the ground though and supported our team. Really is a poor turn out, don't forget they've offered the 5 games for £99 too that included this one..

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:50 pm

Andreshotboots wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:45 pm
Totally agree. Remember the game at the Turf in a Premier League relegation year and we were either down, or as good as and that's all they sung at as for most of the game.

Still filled the ground though and supported our team. Really is a poor turn out, don't forget they've offered the 5 games for £99 too that included this one..
Yes what was it?
"We're having a party when Burnley go down" etc ad nauseam....
And were not supposed to comment on their ticket sales tomorrow?
These 4 users liked this post: AGENT_CLARET Andreshotboots Pickles Bob Lorder

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:30 pm

A ground half empty is poor do, for any derby, at any level.

Besides, tomorrow is a banana skin - there has never been a better time to beat us in regards to our form and for them to push for the play-offs
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:32 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:30 pm
A ground half empty is poor do, for any derby, at any level.
This

Also has to be said that one of their best performances of the season was against Sheff utd, and they had over 6000 away fans there I think

Look, if they want to look tinpot on tv, then there is no better way to do it than the way they are going about it, but I guess if they win they will be happy enough

4:20
Been Liked: 1066 times
Has Liked: 1192 times

Post by 4:20 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:11 pm

We've always seemed to have a good attendance against that lot in recent decades, (novelty factor, league position, lack of TV coverage)... the only anomaly being the 2013/14 season with 15,700 on (lunchtime, on sky....still, surprised there wasn't more on though).

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:53 pm

Andreshotboots wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:29 pm
Problem is after their success in the 90s they've been on a downward trajectory and started losing generations of fans to United, Liverpool and more recently City. We seem to be going in the other direction at the moment but things can change, so just enjoy the good times is my outlook..
Rovers are going to have to cope with a long term decline in their support unless they can address the issue of attracting support from the Asian heritage population, which now stands at 35.7% according to the last census. I've done some work recently in two Blackburn Secondary Schools, and only a handful of pupils in probably 10 classes said they followed Rovers, with the Asian heritage lads following either United, City or Liverpool, drawn there by a fellow Muslim, Mo Salah. I understand they have made great efforts to do so, but it's been hard going, perhaps because of 1st/2nd generation immigrant's experiences of 1970's/80's football fans, lack of any great football tradition in the sub-continent, and the fact that Rover's owners are Indian Hindus.

Geographically, they have Burnley to the east, Bolton to the south and Preston to the west, with the lure of the two Manchester Clubs less than 45 minutes away. We both have the Ribble Valley adjoining us, and like Accrington, anecdotal evidence suggests a sizable shift in support from Blue to Claret in these traditionally split areas. We have both Hyndburn and Pendle adjoining us, as well as traditional support base in Calderdale, Keighley, Skipton, Todmorden etc ...

In 2017, I organised a reunion of lads who'd played for Blackburn Rugby Club's u19's ( Colts ) team in the early 1980's. I traced 51 of them, most in their mid-late fifties, and only 4 still lived in the Borough of Blackburn with Darwen. New Zealand & France ( 2 each ), Italy, Australia & Sweden were the more exotic relocations, and work had taken several to other parts of England, but the majority had moved to other parts of Lancashire, Ribble Valley being the most popular, unsurprisingly. Rovers need to do something, and sharpish ...

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:16 pm

Clarets4me wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:53 pm
Rovers are going to have to cope with a long term decline in their support unless they can address the issue of attracting support from the Asian heritage population, which now stands at 35.7% according to the last census. I've done some work recently in two Blackburn Secondary Schools, and only a handful of pupils in probably 10 classes said they followed Rovers, with the Asian heritage lads following either United, City or Liverpool, drawn there by a fellow Muslim, Mo Salah. I understand they have made great efforts to do so, but it's been hard going, perhaps because of 1st/2nd generation immigrant's experiences of 1970's/80's football fans, lack of any great football tradition in the sub-continent, and the fact that Rover's owners are Indian Hindus.
I'm going to slightly disagree with that. I don't think tapping into a particular community is as worthwhile as a way forward now; Clubs must think digitally. Big Football Clubs are so accessible these days, and kids will support Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona and Real Madrid because social media allows fans to get more from them. Clubs like Rochdale, Bury, Stanley, and most league clubs outside the Champions League - those without global recognition don't stand a chance now... Burnley is one of these, with Preston, Blackburn and Blackpool.

Your average youngster, unless they get the bug by going with a family member, is not as interested in live sports as much as they were 20 years ago. If you want to get young people to go, the adults need to be engaged enough to bring them with them. If not, it's following Liverpool on social media. Thats what fans are these days... and it's sad.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 988 times
Has Liked: 1660 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:29 pm

Chobulous wrote:
You’re right in general and I was there in those days on the Longside and remember a game when there was no need to stand up in the 2nd half as it was that sparse you could still watch the game despite others standing
But
I think there is a relevant difference to this situation though with the fact that they’ve lowered the crowd by over 5000 away fans and I think that has reduced the interest of their own fans too as it’s less of an occasion, and with a background threat of trouble in the home ends as possibly more away fans will try to get in there.
Usually when clubs reduce away followings it’s because they can sell the tickets to home fans but in this case I think a likely 23k plus crowd is going to be around 16k at best
So I do agree that’s it’s not only incorrect to suggest that we don’t suffer the same crowd reductions when doing poorly but it an incredibly boring subject too
But again I’ll say this is a bit different imo

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:46 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:16 pm
I'm going to slightly disagree with that. I don't think tapping into a particular community is as worthwhile as a way forward now; Clubs must think digitally. Big Football Clubs are so accessible these days, and kids will support Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona and Real Madrid because social media allows fans to get more from them. Clubs like Rochdale, Bury, Stanley, and most league clubs outside the Champions League - those without global recognition don't stand a chance now... Burnley is one of these, with Preston, Blackburn and Blackpool.

Your average youngster, unless they get the bug by going with a family member, is not as interested in live sports as much as they were 20 years ago. If you want to get young people to go, the adults need to be engaged enough to bring them with them. If not, it's following Liverpool on social media. Thats what fans are these days... and it's sad.
Whilst I absolutely agree with your " direction of travel " argument, a less than half full stadium against your fiercest rivals isn't going to help matters on either front ! I remember when the impact of SKY monies was starting to be felt with ever increasing force, one wag suggested that we may end up letting supporters in for free, rather than have empty stadia, and have everyone viewing the experience from their pub or sofa ...

As for social media profile and our " Unique Selling Point USP ", I penned this " Spoof " nearly four years ago when rumours first started of American interest in buying us, it'd need updating, but it's a starting point !! 8-)

" A small rust-belt Town in Lancastershire, England that lost it's industry and jobs but still had it's Soccer team and it's pride ... Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, they've felt your pain, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee and Alabama this is where your Cotton used to go and to any American who ever " pulled for the little guy " anywhere, this is your team !! Now led by " Stone Cold " Sean Dyche, Burnley roster a number of Irish Internationals in their weekly fight against the big guys, think a AA minor-league Ball Club from Billings, Montana taking on the Yankees or the Red Sox every week !!! They've been to the brink and back, " THE BURNLEY CLARETS, " A team for the average Joe !! "

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2473 times
Has Liked: 2010 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:00 pm

The divide of Accy, Ossy, C-L-M and GH, historically fairly even, swung towards them with their PL years. To the West was similar taking fans from PNE. Now our divide is coming back our way and PNE will be taking support away also. A club in freefall if they don’t do it this time. Likely that JDT will be pinched after the job he has done with that dross.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:04 pm

Chobulous wrote:
You mean 40 plus years ago - yep I was there myself and it was a lifetime ago.
Who is “obsessed” with their attendances ? It’s a message board where fans comment on football - and especially about their biggest rival club. Their attendances have been gradually declining and the season ticket sales given how cheap it is are embarrassing.
Do you seriously think any other rival clubs fans in Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, London etc would not be discussing something like this if the fans they dislike the most had stopped attending their games in their thousands ?

The only “so what ?” on this thread is you mentioning that you were on burnley games when we were on our arses. Seriously who gives a sh-ite about that now ? It’s about as relevant as Blackburn winning the FA cup lots of times in the 19th century.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

RickyBobby
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by RickyBobby » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:05 pm

Chobulous wrote:
When did we have attendance of below 3000 when pushing for promotion to the first Division/premier league?

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:09 pm

:lol:

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:11 pm

Our lowest-ever attendance was something like 2000-and odd, I believe ClaretTony was the match ball sponsor.

I presume the original comment is a joke referencing that Blackburn fans think Burnley supporters are obsessed with gate numbers, and its not to be taken seriously.

Pickles

Post by Pickles » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:20 pm

RickyBobby wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:05 pm
When did we have attendance of below 3000 when pushing for promotion to the first Division/premier league?
And that's the point. It's their best season in years, they've been third against the odds for much of the season, as close to the Premier League as they've been for a long time and yet from the outside looking in there doesn't seem to be much of a buzz at all at Ewood. Attendances have been swelled by away supporters, with swathes of empty seats in the home ends. It's odd. Maybe without financial doping and discounted tickets there just isn't much of an appetite for it.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times

Post by andyh » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:24 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:32 pm
I think it's quite significant, irrespective of the past, that in a local derby game where a win for Rovers would strengthen their play off hopes and rub our noses in the soft stuff, they can only sell a pitiful number of tickets.
Not sure what our old gates of 3000 superfans has to do with both club's current circumstances.
I was one of the 3000 and I wasn’t a super fan then and I’m not a super fan now. It is more to do with my age. We all go for different reasons. Mine was to be with my dad. The football was secondary. But I still enjoyed it… perhaps more than the last season in the Prem so go figure.

As for Blackburn fans I’m not sure I’d want to see them crowned champions if the situation was reversed. We are not a different species just because we support a team a few miles away. I am grateful for the season we have had and am old enough to understand that fortunes will change for both clubs all too quickly. So be careful not to gloat too much.

ClaretGent
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by ClaretGent » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:45 pm

With just over 24 hours to go...

your_grounds_too_big_for_you.png
your_grounds_too_big_for_you.png (384.45 KiB) Viewed 2810 times

This doesn’t show the 5500 empty seats in the Darwen End and another 3500 in the top tier of the Blackburn End (permanently closed due to lack of demand)

Goalposts
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Goalposts » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:08 pm

Cost of living , game on tv, badly managed by their club ,fear of some two headed mythical Claret and blue barbarians descending on their town. Season pretty much over, apathy with the owners…. About par for all their home games - so the core of the support hasn’t changed.. to be expected

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:13 pm

andyh wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:24 pm
I was one of the 3000 and I wasn’t a super fan then and I’m not a super fan now. It is more to do with my age. We all go for different reasons. Mine was to be with my dad. The football was secondary. But I still enjoyed it… perhaps more than the last season in the Prem so go figure.

As for Blackburn fans I’m not sure I’d want to see them crowned champions if the situation was reversed. We are not a different species just because we support a team a few miles away. I am grateful for the season we have had and am old enough to understand that fortunes will change for both clubs all too quickly. So be careful not to gloat too much.

I'm not sure any body's gloating, as I said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got beat tomorrow and struggle next season.
My superfans jibe was aimed at the poster who drew our attention to the claim that he was there in our bad times.
Good for him.... and, as he says, so what?
Anybody who has followed any football team, especially Burnley, will know what it is to hope and despair and we know that neither of those emotions will last.
Teams evolve, fortunes change and not always for the better.
We're having a great season, Rovers are not doing too badly and it doesn't alter the fact that it's a pretty poor effort if Rovers fail to get a decent crowd for our game tomorrow.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 1331 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:12 pm

We had several home gates below 2k in 1986/87. I am proud to say that I attended those.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2698 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:52 pm

summitclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:12 pm
We had several home gates below 2k in 1986/87. I am proud to say that I attended those.
I'm proud to say I didn't.

yTib
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by yTib » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:52 pm

Chobulous wrote:
all that time being a burnley fan and he still doesn't get it.
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Stalbansclaret

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:48 pm

2 reasons for their poor sales apparently

1 - Due to them demanding we got the smallest allocation possible the measures put in place have stopped their plastics from being able to get 1

2 - Lack of advertising by the club so no everyone knows the game is tonight

They really are a special breed
This user liked this post: AGENT_CLARET

Pickles

Post by Pickles » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:52 pm

I've seen the "lack of advertising" comments too. Mindboggling. It's the East Lancs Derby, lads.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:55 pm

I for one love the idea that if its suddenly front page headlines in "Horse and Hounds" that they will magically fill out

As has already been said, its the East Lancs Derby, and could be the last one for a while, there really isn't any point pretending that its nothing other than people deciding not to bother going (even though I understand why btw)

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 723 times
Has Liked: 2035 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:15 pm

No matter whether you are interested or not in how poor their ticket sales have been and how bad ours might have been in the past, there is no way we would only sell 50% of our tickets for a east lancashire derby, even during their premier league champion era, where we would have expected to be tonked.

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 1075 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:21 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:48 pm
2 reasons for their poor sales apparently

1 - Due to them demanding we got the smallest allocation possible the measures put in place have stopped their plastics from being able to get 1

2 - Lack of advertising by the club so no everyone knows the game is tonight

They really are a special breed
Also I've seen some tweets from them lot that part of the reason why ticket sale's are low (1) its a midweek game (2) it's a late ko :lol: