Mission to Burnley (including spoilers from page 9)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: Mission to Burnley (including spoilers from page 9)

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:37 pm

helmclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:22 pm
Kompany has a knack of simplifying everything he does.

The bit where he explains the late filing of the accounts to the players in that meeting was brilliant.
Well he does have that Masters of Business Administration Degree, so he does know what he’s on about

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:45 pm

Yeah but he didn’t need to do that meeting.

He’s a true leader.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:46 pm

You really do run out of superlatives for Kompany. Enjoy every moment he’s here.
This user liked this post: jedi_master

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:50 pm

Held off all day watching it so that I could watch it with my Dad this evening (working from Tod tomorrow to get to the game!). We just battered through it.

Absolutely brilliant!!!

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up at Vinny’s pre match dressing room team talks - it felt like he was talking to the fans as much as the players at times. That’s a silly thought I know, but everything he said resonated in that way. Fascinating also watching his detailed dissection of our opposition and analysing their weak spots.

ALK come across as fundamentally good people with a desire to succeed. I enjoyed seeing more of them rather than just AP, as I didn’t know them or who they were - fair to say a couple of them seemed characters, particularly the finance chap. Matt Williams also seemed a top bloke and it’s great to still have that ‘Northern’ touch at a senior level within the club - he seemed very good at his job too, and we’ve seen the rewards of that. The dressing room moments were heart warming, especially seeing the teams reaction to Twiney’s winner against West Brom. Also loved that tender moment with Barnsey and Pace after Boro away.

All in all, what a superb memento of the greatest season of my life. This will get watched many a time in my days, without a doubt. A magical year.
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 THEWELLERNUT70

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:51 pm

I could watch part 4 of episode 2 on a loop for hours on end.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8537 times
Has Liked: 18277 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:54 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:51 pm
I could watch part 4 of episode 2 on a loop for hours on end.
Just missing Nathan Tella's dancing 3 finger salute 😉

Carwin261
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Carwin261 » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:10 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:54 pm
Just missing Nathan Tella's dancing 3 finger salute 😉
Just binge watching ,I reckon Pace ,and his family are committed Clarets fans ,the rest they’re just after a quick buck.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:34 pm

As a Burnley fan obviously I’m interested and will watch the next 3 episodes. But I’m not sure what Sky are getting out of this. I can’t see many other clubs fans being that interested.

I’be only watched episode 1 but I think it’s a bit of a poor production so far.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:35 pm

Just finished watching it.

Better than I expected of it. Production quality is good, not sure why people were complaining about wobbly cameras. There were a couple of bit in the meeting room scenes where they were naturally readjusting, Thats it.

I really enjoyed that Al Dakhil bit with him signing the contract with Matt Williams going through the bonuses and so on, plus the scene with VK doing the WBA prep was an interesting bit too as well as a lot of the dressing room team talks.

I think I preferred it more as a Burnley fan, I'm not sure what the general viewer will think of it. I suppose it has some interesting insights to owners running a club but I felt it was dragging a bit towards the end. It doesn't really go into the nitty gritty.

I felt there were a few scenes that were staged. Conversations in the car about the prospect of signing players, the London Taxi and the phone call about VK’s contract and the board piling into the storeroom of a Salt Lake City restaurant to unpack the news of the transfer embargo. I know it helps tell a story but it's obvious to me that they were re-enacted.

I felt there was some context lost in places and missed opportunities. I wish they spent a bit of time with Scott Twine and his injury… that would’ve made that freekick even sweeter to the general audience. They talk about Foster being a prospect in the Premier League, but they're was no mention of him before then. I think they could've made more about Barnes's evolution from clown to leader too.

Incan understand why the cit the last match if the season out. It would just be repeat rince with parade footage.

For me, it's a high-quality season review video and thumbs up from me.
These 2 users liked this post: forzagranata Madpete

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:06 am

I also wish they addressed the allocation fiasco at Ewood. Would've loved to be a fly on the wall for all that.
These 4 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Claret Till I Die THEWELLERNUT70 Madpete

Cornwallclaret
Been Liked: 102 times
Has Liked: 236 times

Post by Cornwallclaret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:13 am

Cornwallclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:26 pm
Watched the 1st episode…smiled all the way through….I love my club
I actually watched episode 4 1st somehow :D :D

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:19 am

Now I've watched the first episode, I feel somewhat more vindicated in my comments about framing than some of the replies since its release led me to expect. Simple fact of the matter is, people either don't understand framing, and they don't understand composition, or they do and they simply don't want to acknowledge it. It's as though people are holding to the standard that nothing short of wall to wall spirituality would validate what I've said, when in fact I've never made such a claim. Ep.1 should've been titled 'The Passion of the Chairman'. The meta narrative of ep.1 is Pace's Passion (as in the Latin 'Passion' associated with Christianity, meaning suffering, bearing i.e. the cross - not the way we use 'passion' in every day language). There are church organs (synthesised) playing over the intro sequence where the owners are playing football and their comments on their religion overlaid, which sets the tone from the outset. This is a deliberate compositional choice. This has the effect of predisposing a passive viewer to unconsciously pass the subsequent images and spoken words through a prism or filter of religious meaning, because an association in the viewer's mind has happened between the owners, their faith, and the club without the uncritical viewer even consciously noticing it (nobody has mentioned the church organs yet, I think I'm the first to comment on the church organs opening up the entire documentary). The cinematic language tells the viewer: this is a spiritual story.

Throughout the episode Pace is metaphorically 'suffering', such as at the moment of relegation (I use inverted commas on 'suffering' not to suggest he wasn't hurt by relegation, because I believe he genuinely was; I use the inverted commas to highlight the analogue to religious Passion, this is what I mean to convey by putting the word 'suffering' in inverted commas). What is his mercy from this suffering? His Church, i.e. God. The scene immediately following the dust settling on relegation is his visit to the church. The meta narrative here is thus: life is suffering, consolation is found through the Church. This narrative arc told through the edit sequence is another conscious storytelling choice. Pain...god...mercy. His visit to his church juxtaposed against the pain of relegation communicates this spiritual message which the viewer has been primed to be receptive to by the compositional choice in the opening sequence. Who is the saviour in this story of Passion? Vincent, of course. Here the Saviour is placed outside of He who suffers (He/Pace who suffers suffers for all of us/Burnley fans), and thus the world has its saviour (with the benefit of hindsight this was a good choice of saviour). This spiritual theme, communicated through editorial 'wordchoice', image, sound and recorded speech, is readable from the first scene in ep.1, and I've not even watched the other three. There's enough cinematic language being spoken that ep.1 can viably be viewed critically through the lens of The Passion.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:25 am

Just finished the last episode a really entertaining watch. Kompany unsurprisingly impressive and good to get a bit of insight into the different people behind the scenes.

Hopefully we’ll see a series 2 if for nothing else but to keep Spiral happy with his deranged posts.

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:38 am

Just binged watched it and it wasn't deep enough for me. Should have been done over maybe 6 episodes.
Probably doesn't help watching it back to back but it flew by. Brought back my early frustrations and impatience all them draws at the start of the season haha.
Thought there would have been more game footage with it being sky rather than Netflix but I guess that's not what it's really about.
Some great insights into Kompanies work ethic, ideas and attention to detail.
Also agree with comment by another poster that Pace is in it for the right reasons but the other board members less so (not that it really matters if the main man is a good guy)
I watched this purely as a Burnley fan for the story so the production side of things did not really bother or interest me.
Finally, I think most football fans will enjoy it. I've watched documentaries on City, Arsenal, Sunderland etc and always find them interesting. This one should be no different.
Not an intellectual, deep review but I'm not a particularly intellectual, deep guy!
This user liked this post: Madpete

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4074 times
Has Liked: 1853 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:40 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:06 am
I also wish they addressed the allocation fiasco at Ewood. Would've loved to be a fly on the wall for all that.
Hell, yes.
Apparently, AP was extremely unhappy at that, to put it mildly.
(As we all were)

Would have given Friday's beer money to know what was said. :mrgreen:

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5560 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:00 am

Spiral wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:19 am
Now I've watched the first episode, I feel somewhat more vindicated in my comments about framing than some of the replies since its release led me to expect. Simple fact of the matter is, people either don't understand framing, and they don't understand composition, or they do and they simply don't want to acknowledge it. It's as though people are holding to the standard that nothing short of wall to wall spirituality would validate what I've said, when in fact I've never made such a claim. Ep.1 should've been titled 'The Passion of the Chairman'. The meta narrative of ep.1 is Pace's Passion (as in the Latin 'Passion' associated with Christianity, meaning suffering, bearing i.e. the cross - not the way we use 'passion' in every day language). There are church organs (synthesised) playing over the intro sequence where the owners are playing football and their comments on their religion overlaid, which sets the tone from the outset. This is a deliberate compositional choice. This has the effect of predisposing a passive viewer to unconsciously pass the subsequent images and spoken words through a prism or filter of religious meaning, because an association in the viewer's mind has happened between the owners, their faith, and the club without the uncritical viewer even consciously noticing it (nobody has mentioned the church organs yet, I think I'm the first to comment on the church organs opening up the entire documentary). The cinematic language tells the viewer: this is a spiritual story.

Throughout the episode Pace is metaphorically 'suffering', such as at the moment of relegation (I use inverted commas on 'suffering' not to suggest he wasn't hurt by relegation, because I believe he genuinely was; I use the inverted commas to highlight the analogue to religious Passion, this is what I mean to convey by putting the word 'suffering' in inverted commas). What is his mercy from this suffering? His Church, i.e. God. The scene immediately following the dust settling on relegation is his visit to the church. The meta narrative here is thus: life is suffering, consolation is found through the Church. This narrative arc told through the edit sequence is another conscious storytelling choice. Pain...god...mercy. His visit to his church juxtaposed against the pain of relegation communicates this spiritual message which the viewer has been primed to be receptive to by the compositional choice in the opening sequence. Who is the saviour in this story of Passion? Vincent, of course. Here the Saviour is placed outside of He who suffers (He/Pace who suffers suffers for all of us/Burnley fans), and thus the world has its saviour (with the benefit of hindsight this was a good choice of saviour). This spiritual theme, communicated through editorial 'wordchoice', image, sound and recorded speech, is readable from the first scene in ep.1, and I've not even watched the other three. There's enough cinematic language being spoken that ep.1 can viably be viewed critically through the lens of The Passion.
VK: "******* nail him". Clearly a crucifixion reference.
This user liked this post: Falcon

Spiral
Been Liked: 2522 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Spiral » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:13 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:00 am
VK: "******* nail him". Clearly a crucifixion reference.
I think you may be reading too much into that line.

Cubanforever
Been Liked: 224 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Cubanforever » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:44 am

Well I thought it was a good watch, really put me at ease seeing how much hard work goes on behind the scenes and I've warmed to Mr Pace and didn't dislike him in the first place but was guarded......Pep looked uneasy in his pre match press conference so hopefully we finally do them UTC

YClaret
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by YClaret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:13 am

Loving reading the posts on here. Some who can read anything from nothing, some who think they’re film critics and those who sat and watched a decent documentary about our club and enjoyed it.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat THEWELLERNUT70 Paul Waine

forzagranata
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by forzagranata » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:56 am

Spiral - have you seen the bit yet where Ashlyn Pace talks about how 'letting Sean go" was an act of faith that something better would come along and that God clearly had a plan - and "Vincent was that something better"? I can't remember which episode that was in but it certainly would fit in with your analysis.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:26 am

YClaret wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:13 am
Loving reading the posts on here. Some who can read anything from nothing, some who think they’re film critics and those who sat and watched a decent documentary about our club and enjoyed it.
House! What do I win for getting all 3?

helmclaret

Post by helmclaret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:46 am

‘Throughout the episode Pace is metaphorically 'suffering', such as at the moment of relegation (I use inverted commas on 'suffering' not to suggest he wasn't hurt by relegation, because I believe he genuinely was; I use the inverted commas to highlight the analogue to religious Passion, this is what I mean to convey by putting the word 'suffering' in inverted commas).’

Okay… 😂

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:11 am

Mr Pace cut a lonely figure at times. Particularly when emptying all his non ringing mobile phones, from his pocket, after we were relegated.

Luckily, he has his god as an outlet.

His friends didn't appear to be clued up about football.

Also, at the boardroom meals, limited conversation.

I think his pals have just said, "We'll leave it to you".

helmclaret

Post by helmclaret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:16 am

I like how he conducts himself and actually think he’s a breath of fresh air. Things were stale on and off the pitch and he’s come in and shaken things up.

Pace and team seem to work really with VK and long may it continue.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg martin_p

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:27 am

Times gives it 4 stars. Looks like neutrals like it after all.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/miss ... -0g2263j33
These 2 users liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70 Paul Waine

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:57 am

After seeing episode 2 I'm beginning to agree with those that are saying there is an agenda with this production - we are being manipulated. This episode also causes me a concern.

As last season progressed the programme gave the impression that, apart from our amazing start at Huddersfield, things did not go well until the second half of the Sunderland match. In fact we thumped Wigan, beat Millwall, Bristol City and Coventry before totally outplaying and thrashing much fancied Swansea. The Swansea performance was outstanding so why ignore it? In other words, there was reason to be optimistic before the Sunderland match. We already knew what this team could do, they just needed to do it consistently. This was not conveyed in the programme. Why?

My concern is that Pace seems to be in awe of VK (as many on here are - I'm impressed of course). As the transfer window closed he said we had gone over budget. Now whether this was really true or it was just a quip to give the impression that his board will push the boat out and so impress us fans I can't say. If we add to this the amounts we seem to be committing to spending from this window, well, I just hope Pace and VK know what they're doing. To be fair they do seem to judging by last season but I don't want us to end up in some John Bond situation again.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:59 am

Really enjoyed it, I think if you enjoy the club doing well then most others will enjoy it also. There was though a real lack of back streets, whippets and religion.

Not everyone will though as we have seen on here, some will never accept an out of town owner and there are some who have pretty much aimed little digs at Pace and now it seems his family whenever an opportunity arises since day 1 that's just how it will be. We now are at the level of mocking his family's accents, luckily they are white and American as had they been a different colour, religion or from another area their comments might come across as a little bit racist.

Royston Vasey wasn't built in a day though.
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret Steve-Harpers-perm

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2318 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:19 am

Watched them all last night, couldn’t sleep afterwards, just led there replaying the season in my head and thinking of tonight’s game. It’s mad what a game of football does to you 😂

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:19 am

Mr Pace has gone up in my estimation tenfold after watching the first two episodes.
Obviously they had a documentary such as this planned from the very start due to the filming but there must have been temptation to scrap the whole thing after relegation. He looked "lost and lonely" in the footage following the final day loss and I really felt for him. His wife even admitted that she asked him if it was really all worth it. But he rolled his sleeves up and deserves praise for the way he went about rebuilding the club from the roots up.
Well done Mr Pace. You've got cojones the size of coconuts and we're lucky to have you :)
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2318 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:20 am

Hipper wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:57 am
After seeing episode 2 I'm beginning to agree with those that are saying there is an agenda with this production - we are being manipulated. This episode also causes me a concern.

As last season progressed the programme gave the impression that, apart from our amazing start at Huddersfield, things did not go well until the second half of the Sunderland match. In fact we thumped Wigan, beat Millwall, Bristol City and Coventry before totally outplaying and thrashing much fancied Swansea. The Swansea performance was outstanding so why ignore it? In other words, there was reason to be optimistic before the Sunderland match. We already knew what this team could do, they just needed to do it consistently. This was not conveyed in the programme. Why?

My concern is that Pace seems to be in awe of VK (as many on here are - I'm impressed of course). As the transfer window closed he said we had gone over budget. Now whether this was really true or it was just a quip to give the impression that his board will push the boat out and so impress us fans I can't say. If we add to this the amounts we seem to be committing to spending from this window, well, I just hope Pace and VK know what they're doing. To be fair they do seem to judging by last season but I don't want us to end up in some John Bond situation again.
Nice cast 😂

Hipper
Been Liked: 1178 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:46 am

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:20 am
Nice cast 😂
I don't fish. It's cruel!

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3083 times
Has Liked: 5064 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:48 am

Binged it last night and really enjoyed it.

I too couldn't understand why they edited the first part of the series, as if we had got off to a bad start! Things or results , had to improve, but the positivity around performances was huge.

VK and his eye to details on the pitch and in assessing players was something that clubs all around us will have taken notice of. On top his full understanding of the financial realities of where Burnley are, and where Burnley need to be, to make us sustainable was amazing, refreshing and something to give us great hope for the future.

Finally Alan Pace and the board. It was clear that he has so much invested in the club and the town, and I don't just mean money. He clearly loves this club as much as we do, as do his family. He buys into the history of the club, and that he is a custodian not just an owner. When things got bleak the board just rolled their sleeves up and came up with solutions, instead of self pity.

I think they and Vinny make a great team, because you can see they are perfectly aligned in where they want to go, and how they want to get there. Something that sadly couldn't be said about Sean.

For Spiral, it would be impossible to create that programme and not reference religion. Part of the expose of reality TV, is where do people find their strengths, their beliefs in dealing with the highs and lows. of life. Alan obviously finds that strength through his church. Its what makes him him. It certainly wasn't any overriding message, and as such shouldn't detract from a wonderful series.
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine Tricky Trevor

martin_p
Been Liked: 3767 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:49 am

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:27 am

Is there a subscription free version of that link somewhere?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:52 am

Really good watch.

Only downside is theirs only four of them to enjoy.

What a season and what a leader Kompany is.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm helmclaret

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:54 am

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:27 am

Decent review, although as the reviewer says she grew up around Burnley and her late dad was an avid claret I think the term ‘neutral’ is a bit generous :D

IrkthePurists
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by IrkthePurists » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:00 am

Great TV. So much happened during that period of time that 8 episodes going deeper into it would have been immense, but you can’t have everything. Great timing to get us into the new season!

We are so lucky to have VK. His approach to recruitment really came over well and the depth of thought that goes into that made me feel like we are in safe hands.

ALK are here to make money. Alan is a nice guy, a big part of his job is to be a nice guy to sell the dream. A huge part of his job is also to get the right manager in and he gets 10/10 for that and has backed him massively. They seem to work well together.

It’s going to be another interesting season.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2256 times
Has Liked: 2171 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:16 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:48 am

On top his full understanding of the financial realities of where Burnley are, and where Burnley need to be, to make us sustainable was amazing, refreshing and something to give us great hope for the future.
Worth mentioning that we were possibly the most sustainable / cash healthy club in world football till the leveraged buyout.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:18 am

forzagranata wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:56 am
Spiral - have you seen the bit yet where Ashlyn Pace talks about how 'letting Sean go" was an act of faith that something better would come along and that God clearly had a plan - and "Vincent was that something better"? I can't remember which episode that was in but it certainly would fit in with your analysis.
Episode four that and if they want to come out with that sort of crap and put it in the public space then I believe any and all criticism is absolutely fair game, for those upset at people who like to ‘aimed little digs at Pace and now it seems his family whenever an opportunity arise’ - COTC1882

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:26 am

Spiral wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:19 am

I've no idea why you feel vindicated with your comments. You're initial take wasn't anywhere near accurate.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:33 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:16 am
Worth mentioning that we were possibly the most sustainable / cash healthy club in world football till the leveraged buyout.
We were living on a knife edge, no criticism of the previous board, but a fact. They did wonders with what they had, and we had all talked about doing exactly what the present board has done, but it never happened. Fear of failure seemed to stifle them from growing.

The depth of squad wasn't huge, and the age demographic was high. we were always one bad season away from trouble.

I said the day after Newcastle, that relegation could be a blessing in disguise. We needed a massive turn around in players, that would have been impossible to achieve IF we had avoided relegation.
I never envisaged that it would go as well as it has though, but who could.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:40 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:33 am
We were living on a knife edge, no criticism of the previous board, but a fact. They did wonders with what they had, and we had all talked about doing exactly what the present board has done, but it never happened. Fear of failure seemed to stifle them from growing.

The depth of squad wasn't huge, and the age demographic was high. we were always one bad season away from trouble.

I said the day after Newcastle, that relegation could be a blessing in disguise. We needed a massive turn around in players, that would have been impossible to achieve IF we had avoided relegation.
I think your use of the word trouble needs to be taken into context. Trouble was relegation from the Premier League, it’s not exactly the end of the world. Under the previous regime we were financially secure in that eventuality (which didn’t happen as it turns out).

I agree that the previous board were a little on the safe side though and probably thought we had gone as far as we could and I understand some supporters not liking that. But there seems to be a lot of history being re-written about the previous owners who oversaw a fantastic period in our history which ultimately ended on a downward trajectory - which let’s face it was always likely after a European-placed finish.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:44 am

Watched the first one. Good stuff. Good to see many people taking it far too seriously, as ever.
These 2 users liked this post: ElectroClaret cblantfanclub

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:47 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:33 am

Take all of that out if it we still have had what 100mill + taken out of the club?

As though we’re not one bad season away from mega trouble now?

Kompany saved our bacon big time - It was a fabulous appointment so there’s credit there.

We absolutely were not living on a knifes edge at all. Garlick wanted to sell - covid definitely pushed that decision over the line and simply didn’t make funds available for Dyche to rejuvenate the squad in order to make the club look as profitable and as healthy as possible.

That’s ultimately the only reason that we had an aging squad.

We had a fabulous season last year and have definitely improved the ‘image’ of the club and grown the Burnley ‘brand’ which again is all good and things to be celebrated.

But looking at the club objectively where we are right now is a newly promoted team with minimal liquidity banking on the fact that we can turn players into big sales which isn’t necessarily a given (but let’s hope it is).

Leeds did similar over the past few seasons and the value of the players they have bought has effectively stagnated or dropped - they can afford to take that risk but we can’t.

I think it’s fair to say that we can say we’re doing great when we look financially healthy again, we’re still a way off that.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:51 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:18 am
Episode four that and if they want to come out with that sort of crap and put it in the public space then I believe any and all criticism is absolutely fair game, for those upset at people who like to ‘aimed little digs at Pace and now it seems his family whenever an opportunity arise’ - COTC1882
We have several deeply religious players so I’m not sure why it’s just the Pace family getting it in the neck. Benson even has a huge tattoo of Jesus on his arm (the son of god, not the Arsenal player)!

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:55 am

martin_p wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:51 am
We have several deeply religious players so I’m not sure why it’s just the Pace family getting it in the neck. Benson even has a huge tattoo of Jesus on his arm (the son of god, not the Arsenal player)!
If Manny Benson wants to go on live TV and say
‘God directed the ball in the top of the bastards net’ then not only would he be wrong it would also be severely underselling himself and his abilities that he has quite rightly worked so hard for.

& I would also call him a lunatic for that.

Basically keep your views to yourself and don’t try and impose nonsense to justify one’s actions
This user liked this post: CJW

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:02 am

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:40 am
I think your use of the word trouble needs to be taken into context. Trouble was relegation from the Premier League, it’s not exactly the end of the world. Under the previous regime we were financially secure in that eventuality (which didn’t happen as it turns out).

I agree that the previous board were a little on the safe side though and probably thought we had gone as far as we could and I understand some supporters not liking that. But there seems to be a lot of history being re-written about the previous owners who oversaw a fantastic period in our history which ultimately ended on a downward trajectory - which let’s face it was always likely after a European-placed finish.
I never intended to have a dig, I was a big supporter of the previous board and Mike Garlick, they did wonders.
But we did look as though we had come to a crossroads, and where we went from there was so important, but whether it was the looming takeover, or an uncertainty about which road to take, we did stall.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:02 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:59 am
Really enjoyed it, I think if you enjoy the club doing well then most others will enjoy it also. There was though a real lack of back streets, whippets and religion.

Not everyone will though as we have seen on here, some will never accept an out of town owner and there are some who have pretty much aimed little digs at Pace and now it seems his family whenever an opportunity arises since day 1 that's just how it will be. We now are at the level of mocking his family's accents, luckily they are white and American as had they been a different colour, religion or from another area their comments might come across as a little bit racist.

Royston Vasey wasn't built in a day though.
‘Royston Vasey wasn’t built in a day though’. New club logo!?

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:03 am

I've only watched episode one and loved it, BUT being objective I could see it not really appealing much to none Burnley fans and it's also a great watch because you know how it ends!!!
This user liked this post: Madpete

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2006 times
Has Liked: 3347 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:04 am

Who were the two names bleeped out when discussing potential replacements for Dyche btw?

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:05 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:04 am
Who were the two names bleeped out when discussing potential replacements for Dyche btw?
Don't think anybody really knows, but assume the one 'similar to Dyche' is Wilder.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud