Barton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Re: Barton

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:22 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:25 pm
I prefer to listen to jazz while watching football on the telly :D
Niice
jazz.jpg
jazz.jpg (15.07 KiB) Viewed 6759 times
These 3 users liked this post: TheFamilyCat boatshed bill Rowls

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:22 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:12 pm
Commentary is a thing in and of itself - a good pundit doesn't necessarily make a good commentator and vice versa.

If you'd bother actually reading my point I said anyone can commentate and provide analysis on a game of football - just that only a select amount can relay their experience with playing at a certain level and what it entails.

Of course there's some terrible male pundits and they too deserve to be scrutinised. I'm sure there's plenty of brilliant, articulate people with a great knowledge of the tactical side of game, that would give better analysis than most on TV that never played past Sunday League.

Garth Crooks gets plenty of criticism (rightly so) and no one bats an eyelid at those criticising him.
That's because it is criticism of his ability (or lack of). Saying that women can't possible comment on the men's game is completely different.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2264 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:28 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:19 pm
If you read my post you’d know I said no one within the industry highlights what a wazzock Crooks is

Women who’ve played at the highest level of their game can relay their experience because it’s relevant

They’ll experience the same emotions etc as the men
They’ll have the same idea of pre match routines
They have to work hard to reach that level

The issue isn’t the women, it never usually is
I think Crooks is just equally laughed at by everyone tbh, feels like a running joke almost.

I disagree there. The intensity, pressure and feel is miles off. I'll concede in a World Cup/National team match but there's something unique someone like Souness has with experiencing some of the fiercest derbies in world football - even inciting a riot at one of them!

It's just not comparable.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:45 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:28 pm
I think Crooks is just equally laughed at by everyone tbh, feels like a running joke almost.

I disagree there. The intensity, pressure and feel is miles off. I'll concede in a World Cup/National team match but there's something unique someone like Souness has with experiencing some of the fiercest derbies in world football - even inciting a riot at one of them!

The intensity is the same for any professional, like I said, the issue isn’t the women it’s the outdated views of the men as always

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:45 pm

LeadBelly wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:22 pm
Niice
jazz.jpg
That's me :D

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:48 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:28 pm

The pundits are there to discuss the game, not their careers.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:49 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:22 pm
That's because it is criticism of his ability (or lack of). Saying that women can't possible comment on the men's game is completely different.
Of course - anyone can comment on the game.

No one criticises Kate Abdo/Laura Woods/Kelly Cates because they're genuinely brilliant presenters and add to their respective shows, massively.

An ex-player, even if a poor pundit gets more of a pass because you can at least say they've been there and wore the t-shirt (though if they're terrible should be nowhere near it).

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:50 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:45 pm
The intensity is the same for any professional, like I said, the issue isn’t the women it’s the outdated views of the men as always
It really isn't - at all.

Mental if you even think that.

Is the Championship as intense as the PL?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:55 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:48 pm
The pundits are there to discuss the game, not their careers.
Why does everything need explicit clarification here? Is there no room for inference, or must every detail be explicitly stated?..Getting beyond boring 🥱

If the goal is purely technical analysis, then yes, a team of skilled football analysts would suffice - don't even need ex-players to do that.

However that isn't the case; discussions often delve into nuances like manager-player dynamics, the pressures unique to certain clubs, and the intensity of derbies and rivalries. These aspects are best articulated by those who have personally experienced and navigated these situations.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:55 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:50 pm
It really isn't - at all.

Mental if you even think that.

Is the Championship as intense as the PL?
Why is it mental?

A cup final is intense for any professional player
There will be that moment where you could be the star or the villain, or both

The championship is as intense as the PL for the players yes, mental that you think it isn’t

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:56 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:55 pm
Why does everything need explicit clarification here? Is there no room for inference, or must every detail be explicitly stated?..Getting beyond boring 🥱

If the goal is purely technical analysis, then yes, a team of skilled football analysts would suffice - don't even need ex-players to do that.

However that isn't the case; discussions often delve into nuances like manager-player dynamics, the pressures unique to certain clubs, and the intensity of derbies and rivalries. These aspects are best articulated by those who have personally experienced and navigated these situations.
So you’re saying the women won’t have experience of the nuances of the game that they play?

The women aren’t the issue, look closer to home ….

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:59 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:55 pm
Why is it mental?

A cup final is intense for any professional player
There will be that moment where you could be the star or the villain, or both

The championship is as intense as the PL for the players yes, mental that you think it isn’t
I've played in a few Lancs cups finals in Rugby - seems I know exactly what it's like to be walking out at Wembley for an FA Cup final then :roll:

No - it's completely different! Have you seen how many players for United were stars at lesser clubs then totally fall to pot? The pressures, intensity, expectation is completely different, there's nothing more to add.

A woman misses a penalty kick in an FA Cup final and it's hardly news. People still go on about John Terry slipping during the 2008 champions league final. It is extremely different.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 859 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:02 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:49 pm
Of course - anyone can comment on the game.

No one criticises Kate Abdo/Laura Woods/Kelly Cates because they're genuinely brilliant presenters and add to their respective shows, massively.

An ex-player, even if a poor pundit gets more of a pass because you can at least say they've been there and wore the t-shirt (though if they're terrible should be nowhere near it).
I think this is the point. Some pundits are good, some are bad. It doesn't matter whether they're men or women.

I've always liked Gabby Logan as a presenter and Alex Scott was very good when she started doing punditry. She's pushed herself into presenting a variety of programmes now and I think she comes across well. Rachel Brown-Finnis is also very good in my opinion. However, I don't rate Fara Williams or Eni Aluko. It's horses for courses. Michael Owen is dreadful and there are bacteria on the Moon who know Garth Crooks has been stealing a living for decades... and don't get me started on the Talksport presenters. Is anyone more annoying than Jason Cundy?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18288 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:07 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:02 pm
I think this is the point. Some pundits are good, some are bad. It doesn't matter whether they're men or women.

I've always liked Gabby Logan as a presenter and Alex Scott was very good when she started doing punditry. She's pushed herself into presenting a variety of programmes now and I think she comes across well. Rachel Brown-Finnis is also very good in my opinion. However, I don't rate Fara Williams or Eni Aluko. It's horses for courses. Michael Owen is dreadful and there are bacteria on the Moon who know Garth Crooks has been stealing a living for decades... and don't get me started on the Talksport presenters. Is anyone more annoying than Jason Cundy?
Sums it up perfectly ... Great post jlup 👍
This user liked this post: jlup1980

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:23 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 6:59 pm
I've played in a few Lancs cups finals in Rugby - seems I know exactly what it's like to be walking out at Wembley for an FA Cup final then :roll:

No - it's completely different! Have you seen how many players for United were stars at lesser clubs then totally fall to pot? The pressures, intensity, expectation is completely different, there's nothing more to add.

A woman misses a penalty kick in an FA Cup final and it's hardly news. People still go on about John Terry slipping during the 2008 champions league final. It is extremely different.
You’re still pushing this aren’t you?

The problem isn’t the women
It’s always been men who hate women being involved in what’s perceived to be a male only environment

It’s 2023, get over it and stop pushing out crappy excuses to exclude just the women from the game when it would also apply to most male commentators

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:25 pm

I’d prefer a good female pundit/commentator over a poor male one ( of which there are numerous). What is getting silly is why there now has to be a female on nearly every match you watch. This is box ticking and virtue signalling.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:35 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:23 pm
You’re still pushing this aren’t you?

The problem isn’t the women
It’s always been men who hate women being involved in what’s perceived to be a male only environment

It’s 2023, get over it and stop pushing out crappy excuses to exclude just the women from the game when it would also apply to most male commentators
No I just think that either your reading comprehension is poor/you’re a bit dense or for some reason you’re trying to play ‘gotcha’ rather than actually honestly reply to my points.

Equivocating the women’s game and the men’s game in their current states is bonkers.

If a pundit is their to give insight (which they often are) then no one other than players that have played at the respective level can provide an accurate insight because they haven’t been there.

If it’s more for analysis and talking tactics/transfers etc then that is different all together, as is presenting which needs a different set of skills all together.

JB is clearly wrong with his sweeping generalisations; the discussion moved on from JB as a whole.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:46 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:35 pm
No I just think that either your reading comprehension is poor/you’re a bit dense or for some reason you’re trying to play ‘gotcha’ rather than actually honestly reply to my points.

Equivocating the women’s game and the men’s game in their current states is bonkers.

If a pundit is their to give insight (which they often are) then no one other than players that have played at the respective level can provide an accurate insight because they haven’t been there.

If it’s more for analysis and talking tactics/transfers etc then that is different all together, as is presenting which needs a different set of skills all together.

JB is clearly wrong with his sweeping generalisations; the discussion moved on from JB as a whole.

No, JB isn't wrong, because he has stated his opinion (or at least an opinion that he sides with); there are posters on here pinning rather different interpretations of it.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:11 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:35 pm

I know what you’re saying

You just don’t want women in men’s football, it’s clear as day
You don’t care that there are male commentators who’ve never played as various levels but are commentating on the games

It’s fine, I see what the issue is and as I’ve said it isn’t the women

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:39 pm

Some posters simply won't accept that others have their personal preferences.
These 2 users liked this post: jojomk1 aclaretinstevenage

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:41 pm

There are ****, as well as good, female commentators and presenters.

There are ****, as well as good, male commentators and presenters.

That’s about it really.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:44 pm

"There is only one thing worse than being talked about...
and that is not being talked about"

Oscar Wilde (or Joseph Barton... take your pick) ;)

HahaYeah
Been Liked: 358 times
Has Liked: 330 times

Post by HahaYeah » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:45 pm

I watch the womens England games sometimes and don't mind if it's all women commenting but I rather prefer men talking about the mens game,not interested in what women players have to say about it.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:50 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:11 pm
I know what you’re saying

You just don’t want women in men’s football, it’s clear as day
You don’t care that there are male commentators who’ve never played as various levels but are commentating on the games

It’s fine, I see what the issue is and as I’ve said it isn’t the women
Your issue is that you're actually dense Sid.

Never once said that and you just misapropriate my points and try and play gotcha like a moron.

Commentator ability is vastly different to punditry - anyone can be a commentator.

No issue with any woman in football if they give good takes and analysis.

I have issue if an ex WSL player tired to equivocate their n=1 playing experience to anything remotely similar to any PL player because it's vastly different and anyone with half a brain can figure that out.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:01 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:27 pm
Which clubs Clive Tyldesley, Sam Matterface, Peter Drury and Jon Champion play for.
They are commentators not pundits.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:02 pm

And the vote on whether Joseph is right or not.....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... ore-target

Currently 66% Joey right

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2329 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:23 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:02 pm

Currently 66% Joey right
You come across as those of those people in the Mirror comments section tbf

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:25 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:23 pm
You come across as those of those people in the Mirror comments section tbf
Haven't read them, so I will just stick with the 2/3 majority on this one.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:04 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:02 pm

Currently 66% Joey right

Doesn't that just tell you what 66% of Mirror readers think about it?
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:57 am

pushpinpussy wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:42 pm
i think you need to do your research before commenting
Like all good fake solicitors you struggle to read as well
This user liked this post: Bosscat

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:00 am

IanMcL wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:01 pm
They are commentators not pundits.
Ahh right so these men who openly display a disliking of a womans voice is only when it is as a pundit not a commentator.

Easily solved then have the woman as the commentator and the male as a pundit, then all those who all seem to struggle will be fine. Great work.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:00 am

I don’t like women commentators, I prefer some of the female presenters to the men. I don’t like some of the men commentators either.

It’s just personal preference, those suggesting it means you hate women are degenerates. I think Garth Crooks is awful, not because he’s black but because he talks crap.

Barton is also an idiot for voicing his opinion on this as an out of work manager, with the world as it is, different opinions aren’t allowed with everything being sexist, racist, homophobic etc.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:33 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:00 am
Ahh right so these men who openly display a disliking of a womans voice is only when it is as a pundit not a commentator.

Easily solved then have the woman as the commentator and the male as a pundit, then all those who all seem to struggle will be fine. Great work.
If a woman commentator was up to standard, why not? Clear, well spoken voice, able to describe what is happening, including what is not in picture and invite comment from a good male pundit. No issues.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:42 am

Jjjack wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:53 pm
Surely the whole point is football is for everybody. If women want to get involved in the men's game so be it, the same that men are involved in the women's game. Those who turn their backs on football as it continues to open itself up for all are not missed, good riddance.
You raise an interesting point about men in the womens game. There are men for sure, but I can't recall, for example, men commentating on the recent womens world cup.

Another point in all this is that Joey is entitled to a view. Its called free speech - until he gets cancelled of course.!!!
This user liked this post: Anonymous Claret

ChorltonCharlie
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by ChorltonCharlie » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:17 am

The irony in this being discussed on here, is there's plenty of people who'll agree with what Barton is saying whilst offering constant insight and analysis on this forum of what our manager and players are doing wrong despite never having got remotely near to the level they are operating at.

Love to the family.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:18 am

The simple truth is that with no viable future in football (due to being a bad manager and unpleasant person) Barton is dipping his toes in the water of a career as a sexist, racist idiot, which is a very lucrative industry in this country. It can be no surprise that people on this messageboard will lap it up.
This user liked this post: Enola Gay

Anonymous Claret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by Anonymous Claret » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:24 am

Stayingup wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:42 am
You raise an interesting point about men in the womens game. There are men for sure, but I can't recall, for example, men commentating on the recent womens world cup.

Another point in all this is that Joey is entitled to a view. Its called free speech - until he gets cancelled of course.!!!
I have no problem whether a man or woman is either a commentator or a pundit. It makes no difference as long as they are good at what they do. It will always be subjective to the individual on whether that person is competent. If viewing figures are affected it won't be long before the said problem, whether it is a man or woman is potted.
What I do have a problem with is people ganging up on Joey Barton because he has expressed an opinion that doesn't equate to their own.
I disagree with Joey on this issue but I believe that he has the right to express his views.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:38 am

Stayingup wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:42 am
There was a women's tournament a few years back where Dion Dublin was the only male on the studio panel
His inclusion was derided by some female presenters as "he didn't understand the women's game"

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:51 am

Just been watching some of his interview.
I’m guessing he does not want a job anymore in the media.
Or maybe he’ll join Andy Gray and Richard Keys.

Like many people I think there are some really awful female pundits but some of the female presenters are decent.

I do also agree that I am not sure any of the female pundits are qualified to commentate on the men’s game in a similar way I’m not sure there are men as qualified as the women to commentate on their game.

The female on the other night for our game against Wolves is a perfect example - she was clueless and if a man was lacking the knowledge and saying the stuff she did then he would not get another gig (but we know 100% that she will).

But there is a big argument that giving women these roles does help promote inclusivity in the men’s game and if it is encouraging even more young girls and women to participate and watch football then maybe that’s more important.

In terms of Joey Barton I find it difficult to take anything he is saying seriously. He tries to portray himself as being intellectual and often talks about the degree (he never finished) but he is and always will be little more than a thick thug. In the long list of things he has done and said this one is pretty irrelevant - like him now.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by MrTopTier » Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:53 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:38 am
There was a women's tournament a few years back where Dion Dublin was the only male on the studio panel
His inclusion was derided by some female presenters as "he didn't understand the women's game"
Mate it’s Dion Dublin, enough said.

MrTopTier
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by MrTopTier » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:02 am

Andy Hinchcliffe
Dion Dublin
Lee Hendrie
Clinton Morrison
Michael Owen
Jamie Mackie

The list could go on and on. There are too many poor pundits and none of the above have ever offered anything remotely insightful despite having played at the highest level. It’s easy to have a dig at female commentators rather than calling out the majority who are stealing a living with their banal insight.

Stockbrokerbelt
Been Liked: 229 times
Has Liked: 137 times

Post by Stockbrokerbelt » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:18 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Totally Agee with the view that females are shoe horned into roles commentating on Men’s sport wether they are knowledgeable or not, straight away anyone with these views are classed as misogynistic,I hope someone is going to explain why there is a near total void of males commenting on female football? As for double standards within the female game you only have to look at comments made by some of the well known female pundits regarding Phil Neal & Mark Sampson. As for the darling Emma Hayes not being considered for the England job you only have to look at her history with previous tweets around race & male sexual orientation.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1509 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:19 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Which presenters?

ClaretOfMancunia
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by ClaretOfMancunia » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:28 am

He's basically made himself look a bit of a knob. As others have already said, he's clearly angling for a job on GB News. His Piers Morgan-lite, red pill spiel is so transparent, anyone thinking they've some moral common-ground with him is deluded. He'll weather-vane his opinions whatever way the wind isn't blowing.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4075 times
Has Liked: 1854 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:30 am

Michael Owen is excruciating.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:32 am

MrTopTier wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:53 am
Mate it’s Dion Dublin, enough said.
He even had a home under the hammers fan complaining :D

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... ter-137525
This user liked this post: MrTopTier

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:34 am

If someone’s doing a poor job , their sex , colour , political beliefs etc should have zero influence. Women do many great things in tv sport including presenting ,anchoring , match reports etc . That they’re over represented in men’s football is another thing entirely . However the female voice tone when commentating,co coms etc can be incredibly grating .

spt_claret
Been Liked: 745 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by spt_claret » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:39 am

My views on all this are complicated.

I think for the lead commentator it's irrelevant if they're male or female, all that matters is they have a tolerable voice and robust knowledge of both teams' history, form, and players, while remaining as impartial and objective as possible. A lot of commentators fail this test with gender having no bearing.

For co-commentator/colour commentator/ex-pro opinion I tend to think you need someone who's played in that competition in that tier. In other words, men should commentate men's games, and women commentate women's, but also if you have a league 2 or nonleague game on TV you don't have a Prem player commentating on it even if he's played for one of those clubs, eg- Glen Johnson played a lot for Portsmouth but Portsmouth now are unrecognisable, I'd far rather see a player who's played at league one extensively cover their game. Vice versa too, I love David Eyres but him covering our PL games as if his experience can be equivocal would be silly.

There's some sports where the overall shape and style of the competition doesn't change much between gender divisions but football does have differences. For example the women's game allows for more physicality in challenges but has less pace, strength or target players in general so those attributes are arguably more important and noticeable when present. I really enjoy watching the England women's team but find Rio Ferdinand offering his input on them as jarring as Alex Scott giving her thoughts on what the men's team need to do based on her playing experience- she's 100% allowed an opinion, after all we have plenty and aren't ex pros, but theres only so far Rio can compare his experience or Alex hers on the pitch. Thoughts on tactics, analysing a player, or pre-match ritual or prep sure anyone can input on that (the latter you can relate from other sports even) but I don't like when player commentators criticise a player's technique or decision with a "here's what I'd have done". You can say they made the wrong decision or messed up but don't try insert yourself, if I spot from the stands that Berge missed a pass opportunity I can say but I'm not going to act like I'd have spotted and made it cos I played CM for a year at university. Having a pundit or colour commentator without that directly equivocal experience doesn't feel too different to just hearing a bloke down the pub so I stop being interested.

And this is before even getting into how it's only the same circle of ex pros who ever get the headset. I'm not sure if they're just deemed the most eloquent/media friendly or what but God it'd be nice to get some variety.

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:03 pm

Anonymous Claret wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:24 am
What I do have a problem with is people ganging up on Joey Barton because he has expressed an opinion that doesn't equate to their own.
I disagree with Joey on this issue but I believe that he has the right to express his views.
He does have the right to express his views, and he's done that. People also have the right to say that they believe his opinions are stupid. The right to air your view isn't the right to not be criticised for it.
Big Vinny K wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:51 am
The female on the other night for our game against Wolves is a perfect example - she was clueless and if a man was lacking the knowledge and saying the stuff she did then he would not get another gig (but we know 100% that she will).
I don't think this is the case. There are loads of rubbish male pundits out there who still have a job, Garth Crooks being the most obvious example, or Tim Sherwood. This board is full of complaints about pundits who clearly have little idea about Burnley.

It's weird how the lack of specific playing experience only gets flagged when talking about women. Never gets mentioned when male journalists, etc are talking about football.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:24 pm

aggi wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:03 pm
He does have the right to express his views, and he's done that. People also have the right to say that they believe his opinions are stupid. The right to air your view isn't the right to not be criticised for it.

I don't think this is the case. There are loads of rubbish male pundits out there who still have a job, Garth Crooks being the most obvious example, or Tim Sherwood. This board is full of complaints about pundits who clearly have little idea about Burnley.

It's weird how the lack of specific playing experience only gets flagged when talking about women. Never gets mentioned when male journalists, etc are talking about football.
Yep you are right on that point - there are definitely a lot of poor male pundits who continue to be in work and I have no clue why. I know a close friend who worked for the Press Association 20 years ago and he was once telling me how difficult it was to get a job working as a sports reporter for one of the national papers (he specialised in horse racing and football). I remember him saying it was a case of “dead man’s shoes” waiting for a job to come up and it’s began to feel a bit like that with many of the male football pundits we see on sky etc.

In terms of the male co commentators for the live games I’m generally ok with most of them. Alan Smith, Don Goodman, Andy Hinchcliffe, Andy Townsend.….Alan Shearer was decent enough last night. For me it is a bit of a job where you develop your skills over a few years and you rarely get anyone who goes straight into the role and is as good as the ones been doing it for a while. One of the big skills for me is to not say too much - don’t just say stuff for the sake of it….like Dion Dublin feels a need to !! And also do your research on the game you are covering - just like the main commentator has to.

The studio pundits are a completely different matter - there is a hell of a lot of dross male and female. More dross than good.