January transfer window rumours.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Re: January transfer window rumours.

Post by Big Vinny K » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:22 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:10 pm
Personally think we’ll profit hugely on all of them. They’re like very early 20’s. We need patience. Players peak mid-late 20’s and that’s the time we’ll profit most if we can hang on to them for that long.

The odd one or two might sell at break even or a loss but that will not determine whether the model is successful.
“Profit hugely on all of them” ?

That’s going to be some leap in form for Tresor, Ramsay and Beyer all get sold for £25m or £30m plus.

Hope so but the history of the premier league and the more unfashionable clubs who have spending sprees like we have (Fulham, Forest, etc) would tend to suggest that we are more than likely to be taking a few hits on some of our signings.
Hopefully we have found a couple of others that help mitigate these.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3193 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:34 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:41 pm
Would be very surprised if we repay them for ‘sending Twine back’ by loaning them Benson or Zaroury. I wouldn’t let them just pick and choose our players.
The style Hull play makes them attractive for teams looking to loan out players. IMO.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1227 times

Post by Pickles » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:36 pm

Maatsen to Dortmund almost wrapped up. We've missed him this season. Tried to find someone to do a similar role to him but couldn't so changed things, Taylor came in and has done well.

He's a lovely player is Maatsen. Off to play Champions League football.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2262 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:46 pm

Think Twine has more to come - easily a Championship player and still has room to improve. I'd have him as a squad player if we dropped back down.

Just looks to be a bit of a late bloomer - I'll echo what spt_claret has commented on this board about player progression, it absolutely isn't linear as some like to make it out.

Talented boy, still yet to fill out. Bet he has a good number of years from 26-32 or so as a top end Champ player.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3116 times
Has Liked: 3837 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:50 pm

Taffy on the wing wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:34 pm
The style Hull play makes them attractive for teams looking to loan out players. IMO.
Maybe, but I still wouldn’t expect us to be at their beck and call and certainly not choosing who they take & send back. I’d expect it to be a two-way street and even if they didn’t think the Twine loan was working as they’d hoped, make good on their commitment to the loan if they want other players as well.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:53 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:46 pm
Think Twine has more to come - easily a Championship player and still has room to improve. I'd have him as a squad player if we dropped back down.

Just looks to be a bit of a late bloomer - I'll echo what spt_claret has commented on this board about player progression, it absolutely isn't linear as some like to make it out.

Talented boy, still yet to fill out. Bet he has a good number of years from 26-32 or so as a top end Champ player.
Some still call for Jack Cork to get more game time and he’s 34. With modern nutrition, science, conditioning, etc I’d expect many players to make a career till they’re 35.

Most impressive thing for me is he seemed to have bulked up and be getting right involved. We need a bit more of that from the players we have here.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:00 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:22 pm
“Profit hugely on all of them” ?

That’s going to be some leap in form for Tresor, Ramsay and Beyer all get sold for £25m or £30m plus.

Hope so but the history of the premier league and the more unfashionable clubs who have spending sprees like we have (Fulham, Forest, etc) would tend to suggest that we are more than likely to be taking a few hits on some of our signings.
Hopefully we have found a couple of others that help mitigate these.
Tresor is probably the one I’m least confident about at the moment, but very confident we’ll at least double what we spent on Ramsey/Trafford. Both could play for England, Trafford most likely. Also bear in mind Kompany's words that we’ve often not paid what’s reported.

But as I say, the model will only be proven on how it does holistically over time. One or two limited losses doesn’t mean the overall strategy was a mistake.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2262 times
Has Liked: 2174 times

Post by CoolClaret » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:37 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:53 pm
Some still call for Jack Cork to get more game time and he’s 34. With modern nutrition, science, conditioning, etc I’d expect many players to make a career till they’re 35.

Most impressive thing for me is he seemed to have bulked up and be getting right involved. We need a bit more of that from the players we have here.
Yeah my over-riding point is that some players hit a peak a lot earlier than others and some are late bloomers and this notion that just because a certain player is 25 or 20 or whatever doesn't necessarily mean that the 20 yr old can continue to massively improve nor that the 25 yr old cannot improve.

I think senior games played as a metric that isn't appreciated enough, as well as type of player. Players that are speed merchants - a Walcott type tend to blossom yougner and have a shorter shelf life unless they can reinvent their game.

Ronaldo has managed to gain an extra what, 8 seasons or so being right at the top of the game by changing what his game is - obviously he had the ability to and is an outlier but yeah if you're speed/acceleration reliant then your shelf life is not likely to be as long as more of a technician.

Twine will always be useful with his dead ball abilities and did do some decent stuff in that '10' role at the end of the season; it is a real shame he got injured to start the Season and couldn't grow with the rest of them, mind.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:47 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:46 pm

Agree with you 100%, every player peaks at different ages and I like Twine. It takes different players different times to fully grasp the level they’re playing at too, one day they wake up and it just clicks, they hit a run of hot form and it goes from there. Self belief maybe
These 2 users liked this post: CoolClaret Colburn_Claret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:36 am

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 11:47 pm
Agree with you 100%, every player peaks at different ages and I like Twine. It takes different players different times to fully grasp the level they’re playing at too, one day they wake up and it just clicks, they hit a run of hot form and it goes from there. Self belief maybe
It’s a good point about different attributes playing a role in when players peak. I think dead balls are such an important part of the game that having that ability will always leave you with a very good chance of being successful even if some other aspects of your game are lacking.

Like you say, if he hits purple patch second half of the season and gets say 20 G/A I reckon you could argue he’d doubled his value from say £2.5m to £5m without even costing us a great deal in wages.

Patience will be the key skill in determining how successful this strategy is.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2475 times
Has Liked: 2011 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:42 am

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:36 am
It’s a good point about different attributes playing a role in when players peak. I think dead balls are such an important part of the game that having that ability will always leave you with a very good chance of being successful even if some other aspects of your game are lacking.
Reminded me of a Bobby Charlton story, on Parky.
As a young man his uncle was managing Chesterfield and he was in the office as his uncle was telling the captain he was being dropped.
His reply,”But boss I take the penalties”.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:38 am

GetIntoEm wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:08 pm
The story stacks up, I've no reason to doubt it's not a fact. Make your own mind up
So why did you then backtrack in your very next post?

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1032 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:49 am

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:36 am

Like you say, if he hits purple patch second half of the season and gets say 20 G/A I reckon you could argue he’d doubled his value from say £2.5m to £5m without even costing us a great deal in wages.

Patience will be the key skill in determining how successful this strategy is.
Widely reported Twine cost us £4m.
At the time I was really excited about the signing as he was the best player in league one for MK Dons the season before and they fell apart without him going from near promotion to relegation.
But right now it’s hard to see his value being more than £4m - let alone double. In addition we will have paid at least a million in wages and extra in signing on fee, promotion bonuses etc

Hopefully he does kick on and ideally he comes back to us. Hull are a good team with a good manager - are they not one of the few to beat Leicester this season ? From what I have seen of Hull and I’ve read a few of the match reports just to see how Twine has got on he’s had a decent season and seems heavily involved in a lot of their play.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:34 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:49 am

But right now it’s hard to see his value being more than £4m
Agree but it only takes a real hot spell to transform his price and he’s got age on his side.

Oldparkwood
Been Liked: 127 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Oldparkwood » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:38 am

What is it with every transfer thread? It just seems to be people arguing over pathetic comments or people just talking completely off topic with no transfer news/rumours at all!
So dare I ask if there are any rumours?

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1040 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:51 am

Maatsen to Dortmund ( loan)

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:12 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:49 am
Widely reported Twine cost us £4m.
At the time I was really excited about the signing as he was the best player in league one for MK Dons the season before and they fell apart without him going from near promotion to relegation.
But right now it’s hard to see his value being more than £4m - let alone double. In addition we will have paid at least a million in wages and extra in signing on fee, promotion bonuses etc

Hopefully he does kick on and ideally he comes back to us. Hull are a good team with a good manager - are they not one of the few to beat Leicester this season ? From what I have seen of Hull and I’ve read a few of the match reports just to see how Twine has got on he’s had a decent season and seems heavily involved in a lot of their play.
Transfermarkt, which seems to be the most accurate source of any transfer information, has the fee down at €2.9m, or £2.5m.

Spotrac, ditto salary info, has his base salary at £180k so I very much doubt your £1m is correct. Possibly a quarter or half that much.

As others have said, he’s basically a purple patch, which he 100% has in him at Championship level, away from becoming a prized asset everyone wants… but we’ll see. It’ll be down to him & he’ll need a bit of luck on his side.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:17 pm

Any actual rumours?

brexit
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:24 pm

Sacha Boey

Mixedkompany
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by Mixedkompany » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:26 pm

‘Patience will be the key skill in determining how successful this strategy is’

Not sure patience is the key.
Transfers are driven by need, situations and events.
Our current situation is that we are heading to the championship.
We will need to trim the wage bill and cut the squad to affordable championship level.
We simply can’t be patient and wait for some of these players to improve and increase in value. If indeed they can and do.
Our financial needs and player contract situations will dictate our transfer strategy if we go down.

Unfortunately, there are no incoming transfer rumours atm. Maybe towards the end of the window we will see something.
We certainly done need Twine back and do need to get 2 or 3 out on loan or permanently. Mainly the ones already under discussion.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:26 pm

brexit wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:24 pm
Sacha Boey
More chance of signing Sacha Baron Cohen

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:32 pm

brexit wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:24 pm
Sacha Boey
Is this from a WhatsApp group?

brexit

Post by brexit » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:55 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:32 pm
Is this from a WhatsApp group?
Galatasaray fan in bar last night. Apparently doesn't want to sign an new contract

Hapag Lloyd
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 427 times

Post by Hapag Lloyd » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:01 pm

brexit wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:55 pm
Galatasaray fan in bar last night. Apparently doesn't want to sign an new contract
Sounds legit

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:35 pm

Hapag Lloyd wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:01 pm
Sounds legit
It's one more rumour than the rest of this thread 🤔😅😅
This user liked this post: LDNBFC87

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:56 pm

From the few times I’ve watched Boey he looks like one that would have really made us more competitive . If we were actually interested in the summer then I’m afraid that ship has sailed regardless of the division we find ourselves in next year

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:59 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:56 pm
From the few times I’ve watched Boey he looks like one that would have really made us more competitive . If we were actually interested in the summer then I’m afraid that ship has sailed regardless of the division we find ourselves in next year
Frustrating really that we missed out on the players we really needed. If wed just have got Boey and Milner then we would have been so much more equipped for this league.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 623 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:08 pm

The same Sacha boey linked with Bayern arsenal and United a couple of weeks ago?

Sapperclaret73
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Sapperclaret73 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:00 am

Spence going to genoa on loan. Puts that to bed.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:57 am

Boey now linked with PSG so pretty sure he's now out of our reach (if he ever was within our reach in the first place).

Quite a few 'sliding doors' transfer sags over the summer window - players we were heavily linked with and some would believe very close to signing and perhaps these players would have made a big difference...

Milner (dependable player and much needed experience)
Lukebakio (the right winger we never signed who could also play up front if required)
Townsend (another right winger with great experience)
Boey (quality right back - huge upgrade on the current incumbents which we need)
Maatsen (young dynamic left back who was a big part of how we played last season)
Tella (as above and left a big hole when he left. Another who played on the right side)
Origi (centre forward cover we needed)

And many more links to good quality footballers but how much of a difference would 3 or 4 of those on the above list have made instead of signing numerous left wingers?

ecc
Been Liked: 1442 times
Has Liked: 1290 times

Post by ecc » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:34 am

Nemanja Matic has never been linked but was mentioned as the type of player who could boost us. It would seem he's leaving Rennes after just six months. However, I read last night one of his issues was that he was told there was an international school in Rennes (he has three children). But there isn't. Obviously there isn't one in Burnley but if he lived in Manchester that wouldn't be a problem.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 752 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:53 am

Luke Ayling going to Boro

Will Leeds now come in for Roberts?

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:10 am

Ric_C wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:53 am

Bizarre if we let him go with only Vitinho in that position.

Unless Roberts is pushing for a move of course.

Eyesofblue2
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Eyesofblue2 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:11 am

Ric_C wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:53 am

Hard to know why they wouldn't, makes perfect sense from their point of view.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:17 am

Ben Mee is not a regular at Brentford anymore

brexit

Post by brexit » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:20 am

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:57 am
Boey now linked with PSG so pretty sure he's now out of our reach (if he ever was within our reach in the first place).

Quite a few 'sliding doors' transfer sags over the summer window - players we were heavily linked with and some would believe very close to signing and perhaps these players would have made a big difference...

Lukebakio (the right winger we never signed who could also play up front if required)
Boey (quality right back - huge upgrade on the current incumbents which we need)
Maatsen (young dynamic left back who was a big part of how we played last season)
Tella (as above and left a big hole when he left. Another who played on the right side)

And many more links to good quality footballers but how much of a difference would 3 or 4 of those on the above list have made instead of signing numerous left wingers?
Would you add Henderson to this list?

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:25 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:17 am
He was injured and got a red card in one of his first games back

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 983 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:30 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
He started the 5 games for Brentford prior to his absence following a red card (upgraded to violent conduct) forcing him to miss the last 3 matches. Expected to be available for Brentford in next PL match January 20th?

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:30 am

Not exactly a link but I’ve heard Burnley are Apparantly Scouting Anton Matkovic. I assume for the U23s though as he’s only 17

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1508 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:45 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
He absolutely is.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:49 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:30 am
Not exactly a link but I’ve heard Burnley are Apparantly Scouting Anton Matkovic. I assume for the U23s though as he’s only 17
Gvodiol at city was interviewed by football manger back in November and said he’s a player to look out for
This user liked this post: Anthonini

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:08 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:49 am
Gvodiol at city was interviewed by football manger back in November and said he’s a player to look out for
Interesting wonder if there’s anything in it

Ziggy Stardust
Been Liked: 46 times
Has Liked: 168 times

Post by Ziggy Stardust » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:43 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:

All went to bigger/better clubs and probably on a lot more money. Townsend would have been a bench warmer at best.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:57 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:08 pm
After a quick search on twitter Romano tweeted abit ago saying Everton where scouting him, Romano could take his pick on clubs to put in a tweet

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:05 pm

brexit wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:20 am
Would you add Henderson to this list?
Have we been heavily linked with him or was he close to signing?

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:07 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:05 pm
Have we been heavily linked with him or was he close to signing?
They say he’s on 160k per week so no chance there

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:10 pm

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:43 pm
All went to bigger/better clubs and probably on a lot more money. Townsend would have been a bench warmer at best.
Maybe... but from reports in the summer we had offered terms and were very close to agreeing on some of them. My point being how the summer business could have been so much better/different.
We'll never know about Townsend. Would you have said JBG would be a bench warmer this season too? For all the wingers we have signed we haven't signed a first choice upgrade for the right hand side and still probably have JBG as first choice which is far from ideal and what supporters were expecting.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:29 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:08 pm
Where had you seen the rumour we are scouting him

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:30 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:29 pm
Where had you seen the rumour we are scouting him
Just group chats
This user liked this post: 123EasyasBFC

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:34 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:

Not much you can do when
Milner chose Brighton
Lukebakio wasn’t convinced by us and chose Spain
Townsend based on his injury history was a massive risk
Boey was a small link that never really had any concrete news on
Maatsen - Chelsea valued to high in the summer and then when we had no other options we matched the value but he had been sold the dream he was going to play at Chelsea
Tella - the only disappointment that we didn’t pay the 15-20m when you look at what we have spent
Origi - forest agreed to pay his full wages and he hasn’t really settled there yet

So I wouldn’t say we need to look at the sort of players we are trying to sign