Who's done enough to get a move?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Who's done enough to get a move?

Post by willsclarets » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:40 am

Should the inevitable happen and we get relegated, who in the squad has merited a move to a Premier league side? This isn't a dissection of our transfer policy, more a practical look at who we may have to replace.

For me, Sander Berge has done enough, and he's at an age where I think he'll want to crack on at the highest level. Can see someone taking him.

Odobert I can see us getting a bid for. He's very young and raw, but he could be one hell of a player. If he was mid 20s I'd say he probably hasn't merited a move but he's not done badly for a teenager in a struggling team.

Those are genuinely the only two I can think of! There are some leftfield ones not necessarily based on merit but players I could see teams taking a punt on:

Benny - loads of talent, clearly out of favour and wouldn't be too expensive. A newly promoted team like Leicester could do a lot worse.

Foster - Obviously had problems, but again young and if played centrally is a handful for anyone.

Am I missing anyone?

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2264 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Re: Who's done enough to get a move?

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:49 am

Berge, Odobert definitely..

I really want to keep Berge but he's shown versatility in his time in England (can effectively play in a 2 or a 3 in various roles) and is a pretty sure fire bet for any mid table PL team,

Another PL team may want to take a chance on Traff as an understudy with the Uefa homegrown quota.

Amdouni has Turkey written all over him.

That's it really - Foster had promise but has missed too much football and only hit his max performance levels for a few games... ditto with Koleosho.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1490 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:02 am

Never mind who wants out we have players with potential on long contracts Selling players who have not performed Roberts,Brownhill,Tressor released or sell if we agreed to buy.Trafford back to City for a full refund. Redmond released.
Resign Jayrod.Taylor.JBG .

LincsWoldsClaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by LincsWoldsClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:06 am

Berge has certainly done well considering he hasn’t played one game in his normal position

claret2018
Been Liked: 820 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:16 am

Redmond! I’d completely forgotten about him.

BigJay
Been Liked: 26 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by BigJay » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:23 am

Based on performances this season and appearances, the only players that would get a decent fee would be Muric, Berge and Cullen - all 3 though are players we would clearly want to keep. The players brought in on supposedly big fees - Tresor, Amdouni, Trafford, are now possibly worth less than what we probably paid for them! Ramsey and Kolesho long term injuries, so no. Benson has hardly played enough to warrant a big fee. Then the likes of Twine and Zaroury loaned out and probably worth no more than we paid. Roberts, Taylor, JBG, Cork, Jay Rod either go for free or peanuts. Bruun Larsen and Vitinho maybe, but again I see us getting little back in terms of profit. Esteve, don't we have to pay £8m to keep him? Ekdal, Al Dalhil, Beyer have all hardly played and injured. If we have to sell, it leaves us in a precarious position and do we trust our manager and board again to replace again next season to get us back up? And we still need to bring in players like at left back etc.

northeastclaret
Been Liked: 311 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by northeastclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:36 am

Certainly hope we can keep Berge, there didn’t seem to be any competition for us on taking him from Sheffield United last season and teams taking him from the championship the previous season , so that may happen again hopefully.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:46 am

Players who’ve earned a move:

Berge: Premier league sure fire - West Ham, Forest, Fulham my bets

Brownhill: long rumoured to be a target for West Ham.

Players who need to move into coaching or lower leagues:

Cork
JRod
JBG (breaks my heart)
Roberts
Taylor

I’d make all those deals. Good money in and the wage bill cut.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:10 am

Berge definitely, probably Odobert for his potential. For me thats it, Koleosho's injury means we should be able to keep hold of him.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 859 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:21 am

We need to turn around Del Boy style deals this summer. I've been saying we're in big trouble all season and I'm still in that camp unfortunately.

As great as Tella, THB and Maatsen were, their contributions were matched by the likes of Taylor, Roberts, Brownhill, Cork, JBG, Barnes and Jay. You need experience in the Championship and I suspect all our experience will leave this summer. Hopefully we can build around Cullen and Berge but I would be amazed if Berge is a Burnley player in September.

We have a very large squad and we need to make a call on a lot of them. There are so many questions and not many answers.
What do we do with BPF, Egan-Riley, Twine, Weghorst, Roberts, Zaroury, McNally, Bastien, Churlinov, Dodgson, Obafemi and Costelloe? Will any of them realistically start in the Championship? If the answer is no, they need moving on.
JBL isn't ours, nobody seems to know what the deal is with Tresor, Assignon and Fofana will return to their parent clubs. Odobert will surely have suitors?
The only positions we're likely to be covered for are GK and CB. The rest are very much up in the air.

I expect 25+ departures. It's another total rebuild. The third in three years, which clearly isn't sustainable.

blatherwickstattoos
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by blatherwickstattoos » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:22 am

Berge and odabert will go for 30 million combined hopefully .

Trafford we could potentially sell and not lose much on.

Brownhill we need to trigger his extension then sell him for 10 million plus.

El Dakil and Ekdal I’d be happy getting 10 million combined

Benson who’s been criminally underused we could have got north of 20 million for at the end of last season but I think he’ll go for 10 ish (he won’t want to stick around and play for vk at all after this season)

Zaroury -10 million

Cork , Jay , Taylor all off the books saving about 120k a week on wages will be used well too.

Just hope he identifies we need leaders and not a group of kids trying to play Man City style football to get us back up.

Edit • potentially 60 million in player sales and a large chunk of our wage bill reduced . Need to have a far better recruitment this summer than last

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:33 am

VK

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:01 am

blatherwickstattoos wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:22 am
Berge and odabert will go for 30 million combined hopefully .

Trafford we could potentially sell and not lose much on.

Brownhill we need to trigger his extension then sell him for 10 million plus.

El Dakil and Ekdal I’d be happy getting 10 million combined

Benson who’s been criminally underused we could have got north of 20 million for at the end of last season but I think he’ll go for 10 ish (he won’t want to stick around and play for vk at all after this season)

Zaroury -10 million

Cork , Jay , Taylor all off the books saving about 120k a week on wages will be used well too.

Just hope he identifies we need leaders and not a group of kids trying to play Man City style football to get us back up.

Edit • potentially 60 million in player sales and a large chunk of our wage bill reduced . Need to have a far better recruitment this summer than last
Who's paying £10 million for Zaroury?

Hull gave him a run of games to have a look at him then promptly benched him.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 201 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:02 am

other than Berg and Odobert who would want to buy any of the others they haven't done anything, we are going to be stuck with players who haven't played and Cork, Jay will be let go ..
This user liked this post: warksclaret

getbennyon
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by getbennyon » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:04 am

Any club wanting to sign Berg will be a great bet for relegation.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:08 am

Berge has been good, but he was this good for Sheffield United with very limited interest. Don't think anyone would fancy Odobert for the price we paid. We are going to be relying on teams in Europe to buy players off us, not teams in the Premier League.

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:08 am

getbennyon wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:04 am
Any club wanting to sign Berg will be a great bet for relegation.
Our best player this season as acknowledged by many supporters, although they can spell his name correctly.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:18 am

We had a run of sales when we got relegated, but the current team has since not proved an expertise in selling players. How often has Weghorst gone out on loan. We have Churlinov, Peacock Farrell, Bastian all on loan, who will never play again for us.We are losing out badly . Can you see anyone wanting to buy Tresor, Zarourry, Benson, Ekdal, McNally, Brownhill (unless its at a bargain price), Obafemi and several others

blatherwickstattoos
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by blatherwickstattoos » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:33 am

Neil wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:01 am
Who's paying £10 million for Zaroury?

Hull gave him a run of games to have a look at him then promptly benched him.
Some Greek or Turkish club

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:23 pm

Maybe Odobert. Possibly Berge but I’m not convinced there will be many PL teams after him. The model of selling young players so we can afford to get relegated isn’t looking great so far. Quite a few are loss making so far.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:36 pm

They could all get a bid.

Getting a bid at our valuation is another thing altogether.

aggi
Been Liked: 2124 times

Post by aggi » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:38 pm

Also worth noting that if you sell a player you need to pay all outstanding fees on him.

So if we signed Berge for £15m over 4 years we'd have paid £7.5m by the end of the next window with £7.5m to go.

But if we sold him for £20m over 4 years we might only get £5m upfront but need to pay the remaining £7.5m.

You can factor the remaining £15m due so you get it straightaway but that will obviously cost and hit the profit.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1509 times
Has Liked: 582 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:45 pm

I do think they’ll be interest in Berge. Most Blades were saying he’s inconsistent and a ‘1 in 5 player’ but I don’t think he’s been like that at all. If anything, he’s been more consistent than most. I don’t see what a lot see in Odobert - maybe a punt for a lower league PL club but can’t see offers much more than what we paid. Cullen may attract a bit of interest. No chance with Trafford, Muric probably more likely to go unfortunately. We’ll try and farm Amdouni off to mid table Bundesliga or Turkey. I think Foster’s problems and patchy performances won’t attract much interest. Koleosho long term injured. In summary - I can’t see much scope for big sales.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:02 pm

The current team/ squad assembled with a scatter gum approach lacks identity. Next season in the Championship it would be good to build a team around Berge and Cullen, but the captain of Norway won't be here.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:09 pm

Martin Odegaard will indeed not be here. Which is a shame.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 129 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:11 pm

We’ve got plenty of players that other teams would sign. Some off last years form and a couple off this years form.

The question is how much would we get for the players. Benson Zaroury and Muric would bring money in either for what we paid or a little bit more perhaps. Koleosho, Odobert, Foster Berge would likely bring us some form of profit.
Amdouni and Trafford would be interesting but their age and fact they’ve done ok on an international stage might mean some teams would take a risk on them. Brownhill would bring us some money in if we offered him a contract but then sold. Other clubs don’t look at it like us fans do.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:14 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:09 pm
Martin Odegaard will indeed not be here. Which is a shame.
Is he Norways captain? Are you sure?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:19 pm

We don’t know who would have Wout clauses but that seems less likely with younger players. The big danger is Leeds style relegation loans which leaves us in the doo doo.

I would expect though that Amdouni, Tresor if signed, Berge and Odobert would go for £50m between them. Probably a small loss on those but may cover the relegation hit, then more sales could fund buys to get the squad we want. Each of those have good alternatives in their positions, such as respectively Ramsey, Koleosho, Brownhill and Brun Larsen.

Trafford or Muric we may sell one of. Pointless having two of that class if we need the cash. Both would raise £10m.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:46 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:19 pm
We don’t know who would have Wout clauses but that seems less likely with younger players. The big danger is Leeds style relegation loans which leaves us in the doo doo.

I would expect though that Amdouni, Tresor if signed, Berge and Odobert would go for £50m between them. Probably a small loss on those but may cover the relegation hit, then more sales could fund buys to get the squad we want. Each of those have good alternatives in their positions, such as respectively Ramsey, Koleosho, Brownhill and Brun Larsen.

Trafford or Muric we may sell one of. Pointless having two of that class if we need the cash. Both would raise £10m.
I tend to agree with this but I'd also expect us to be shifting at least 2 centre backs this summer as we have far too many. Plus Brownhill and Roberts whose contract situations make them likely departures.

If the question is who has enhanced their reputation this season so as to generate a profit, the answer is probably only Berge, Odobert and possibly Foster. But that's not the same thing as who is saleable for a price which is within an acceptable tolerance of the price we paid for them.

Swizzlestick

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:55 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:14 pm
Is he Norways captain? Are you sure?
I am sure.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:56 pm

claretspice wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:46 pm
I tend to agree with this but I'd also expect us to be shifting at least 2 centre backs this summer as we have far too many. Plus Brownhill and Roberts whose contract situations make them likely departures.

If the question is who has enhanced their reputation this season so as to generate a profit, the answer is probably only Berge, Odobert and possibly Foster. But that's not the same thing as who is saleable for a price which is within an acceptable tolerance of the price we paid for them.
I believe we'd have shifted one centre back last summer had he not been injured in the League Cup. That's Ekdal and I would think we'll try to move on both him and Al-Dakhil if possible, more so if we do sign Estève which is apparently the case. But there are going to have to be sales to add to those released and that's potentially yet another rebuild.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:57 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:56 pm
I believe we'd have shifted one centre back last summer had he not been injured in the League Cup. That's Ekdal and I would think we'll try to move on both him and Al-Dakhil if possible, more so if we do sign Estève which is apparently the case. But there are going to have to be sales to add to those released and that's potentially yet another rebuild.
I know we need to lose some centre backs, but i'd try and keep Al Dakhil. Think he's got great potential if he can bulk up a bit with his pace. I'd rather lose Delcroix.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:59 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:57 pm
I know we need to lose some centre backs, but i'd try and keep Al Dakhil. Think he's got great potential if he can bulk up a bit with his pace. I'd rather lose Delcroix.
I’d forgotten about Delcroix which says it all really. Al-Dakhil lacks the strength and Ekdal, as technically good as he is, lacks pace. Then there is Beyer who I thought looked way off this season but did well in the Championship.

Mixedkompany
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by Mixedkompany » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:21 pm

I’m with CT here. The number of players who have either contributed very little or haven’t been given a chance is staggering. I’d also completely forgotten about Delcroix and several others. In terms of getting good fees for these ‘saleable assets’. Let’s not forget the big money is in the PL not the European leagues. Incoming the PL pays more and outgoing to Europe we receive less. We’ll be lucky to get 50% of what we’ve paid for some of this seasons signings. The only exception and our best player, is Berge. Who could leave for similar to what he cost us. To a PL club. It’s going to need some very imaginative deals for us to shape a decent squad for a promotion push. Player turnover will be huge.