I’m so sick of Kompany

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
oswyclaret
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 386 times

Re: I’m so sick of Kompany

Post by oswyclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:10 am

Kompany will be under a LOT more pressure next season to win promotion, than this season, to keep us in the Premier,make no mistake!

Lets see where he is after 15 games in the championship!

Ps I can't decide who the £100 000 000 player, we are going to sell, is yet...can you!!!

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 170 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:32 am

In all honesty I think he has failed in many aspects this season. The main one being that we could afford to play our tippy tappy game in the Championship as our players were better than the opposition.
Different story in the PL, enhanced by the fact that we failed to bring in 3-4 experienced players and desperately needed steel to the core of our team. We didn’t need 15 or odd new players, even though they show promise but are inexperienced at this level.
We lost countless games in which our opponents just waited for the one mistake that would inevitably come when pressuring in the right moments. Yesterday being another predictable example.
He stuck with the wrong goalie for too long, and didn’t attempt to diverge from his preferred style of play.
How a seasoned pro like Cork didn’t even get a foot in this season is beyond comprehension for me.
Funny thing is that we will once again gave a talented squad next season to do exactly the same as last season.
So maybe BFC will need to sack him after promotion next season 😜
These 3 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin longsidepies Wo Didi

blatherwickstattoos
Been Liked: 111 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by blatherwickstattoos » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:47 am

Kompany will get us back up and then keep us up. He will also get more points than dyche ever did in his best season (in the prem) with us. (56) I could be wrong on that amount

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 983 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:18 am

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:06 am
We were the better side in first half. Muric's huge error obviously changed the game, not helped by O'Shea that followed.
63% possession and just a single shot on target in a match where it was imperative that we got the opening goal (Everton 22 home matches without winning when the opponents have scored) was simply just not good enough.

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:23 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:18 am
63% possession and just a single shot on target in a match where it was imperative that we got the opening goal (Everton 22 home matches without winning when the opponents have scored) was simply just not good enough.
Agree but our defensive errors had the greatest impact on the result.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:37 am

I can just imagine training tomorrow morning.

VK - "well lads that experiment against Everton didn't work, I'm going to shake things up a bit. Who wants to play left wing this week ?"

nyclaret
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:42 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:39 am
I find the people that defend VK more embarrassing tbh.

He’s a joke
Why don’t you read back what you said?

I’m not defending VK for this season. It’s been a shambles. But to pull out comments like, “ I honestly couldn’t care less if we win every single game.” Just pathetic.
This user liked this post: 123EasyasBFC

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3354 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:42 am

I honestly wonder if a big part of the issue is that as a player at somewhere like City you really don't see much actual "management". You buy the best players in the world and basically you let them play. I'm not in the camp that believes Pep is an amazing manager. He gets the most amazing players and sends them out to pump much lower level opposition and basks in the reflected glory. Those players then think that's what management is all about when it's far more difficult for 99% of guys and VK is funding this out the hard way (imo).

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4075 times
Has Liked: 1854 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:57 am

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:42 am
I honestly wonder if a big part of the issue is that as a player at somewhere like City you really don't see much actual "management". You buy the best players in the world and basically you let them play.
City are only the 6th highest net spenders over the last 5 years, behind Newcastle (5th), Spurs (4th), Arsenal (3rd),
Man Utd (2nd) and topping the list is Chelsea.
(Football 365/Transfermkt).

So the buy, buy, buy strategy doesn't really seem to be cutting the mustard at either Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford, going off the PL.

Pep therefore must have something about him.
This user liked this post: Anonymous

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:58 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:39 am
I find the people that defend VK more embarrassing tbh.

He’s a joke
Seen as you couldn’t care less if we are winning games, next season if we start the season well will you stay off this board until we lose a game or what?

Or will you stick to a transfer thread where one month a winger from the championship isn’t better than any wingers we currently have and then 2 months later the same winger is now better than anyone we currently have
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:01 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:42 am
I honestly wonder if a big part of the issue is that as a player at somewhere like City you really don't see much actual "management". You buy the best players in the world and basically you let them play. I'm not in the camp that believes Pep is an amazing manager. He gets the most amazing players and sends them out to pump much lower level opposition and basks in the reflected glory. Those players then think that's what management is all about when it's far more difficult for 99% of guys and VK is funding this out the hard way (imo).
Man City might have top class players but they also have to have top class standards in and around the club to succeed. You can’t really think players who play for Man City just assume you put a team of players and go out and win, the organisation city have as a team is key

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:13 pm

The problem would be attracting a better manager in the championship. If we can, change it before the new season. If we can’t find better stay with him for now. We can’t afford anymore cock ups in the transfer market ( this season has been ridiculous for that) so this should come up in this seasons review. Pace needs to be careful with the cash this time and make him work for his funds wheeling and dealing. Getting rid of the huge squad we’ve been lumbered with.

I think if he gets us up we should look at changing the manager then as he’s shown throughout the season he can’t really work well at this level tactically. We don’t play to our strengths and we don’t shoot at goal enough.

Really really naive stuff.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 2923 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:09 pm

I wouldn't be too bothered if we let Kompany go. This season has been calamitous. The number of times we have shot ourselves in the foot is beyond belief and far far far too often we just haven't been competitive.

Everytime we find a rhythm he has to tinker with it and it always makes us worse. The latest is squeezing Foster on the right wing, it obviously didn't work against Wolves, but instead of learning he does it again. It's the blatantly obvious things too. Finally bringing Taylor in after trying every man and his dog at left back. Seeing how Trafford was struggling week after week and waiting over 3/4 of the season to relieve him of his duty. Buying all those wingers and eventually playing Vitty and now a striker in those roles. Shoe-horning Amdouni in every week, despite his abject performances. etc etc etc. We could go on and on.

My faith in VK is gone and for those who think he is proven in the Championship so keep him, what happens if we win promotion because he has proven he is miles off it in the Prem, so if we did manage to come back up, what then? Would you give/trust him another summer's worth of transfer spends?

He is a brilliant man and an inspiration, but we need to move on from this project now.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:15 pm

burnleymik wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:09 pm
I wouldn't be too bothered if we let Kompany go. This season has been calamitous. The number of times we have shot ourselves in the foot is beyond belief and far far far too often we just haven't been competitive.

Everytime we find a rhythm he has to tinker with it and it always makes us worse. The latest is squeezing Foster on the right wing, it obviously didn't work against Wolves, but instead of learning he does it again. It's the blatantly obvious things too. Finally bringing Taylor in after trying every man and his dog at left back. Seeing how Trafford was struggling week after week and waiting over 3/4 of the season to relieve him of his duty. Buying all those wingers and eventually playing Vitty and now a striker in those roles. Shoe-horning Amdouni in every week, despite his abject performances. etc etc etc. We could go on and on.

My faith in VK is gone and for those who think he is proven in the Championship so keep him, what happens if we win promotion because he has proven he is miles off it in the Prem, so if we did manage to come back up, what then? Would you give/trust him another summer's worth of transfer spends?

He is a brilliant man and an inspiration, but we need to move on from this project now.
If we win promotion again, I guess some people will think our young manager has the capacity and room to learn lessons and improve.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:17 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:45 am
Agreed.

I thought he was one that got banned but nah, one loss and he's in posting all night about how VK is the worst thing to ever happen to the club.

Tiresome.
What a plank you are!

Playing to the audience. I haven’t said Kompany is ‘the worst thing to happen to the club’.

I think he should go and I’ve said that since late Sep/Oct.

I got banned for starting a Kompany out thread.

Some of us discuss what we believe in not just want you think people want to hear.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 2923 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:19 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:15 pm
If we win promotion again, I guess some people will think our young manager has the capacity and room to learn lessons and improve.
fair enough, but I haven't seen enough this season to think he does learn and improve.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:19 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:17 pm
What a plank you are!

Playing to the audience. I haven’t said Kompany is ‘the worst thing to happen to the club’.

Some of us discuss what we believe in not just want you think people want to hear.
His post wasn't about you.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2263 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:20 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
What a plank you are!

That comment wasn't about you dude, it was referring to NewcastleClaret93.

Calm down.

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:21 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:20 pm
That comment wasn't about you dude, it was referring to NewcastleClaret93.

Calm down.
That’s fair, apologies, had too much sugar at lunch! 🤦🏻

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:29 pm

Cooclaret wrote:
What a plank you are!

It's not all about you, pal. Unless you're another one of those who has a handful of usernames to troll the forum with.

Cooclaret

Post by Cooclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:37 pm

Clovius Boofus wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:29 pm
It's not all about you, pal. Unless you're another one of those who has a handful of usernames to troll the forum with.
That’s right; I am NEWCASTLE

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:47 pm

Given his calamitous record with last summer's signings why would anyone want Kompany as Director of football
I don't want more of the same this summer
These 2 users liked this post: Superjohnnyfrancis Carlos the Great

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:17 pm

Since about halfway through the season, VK has put into place 'Operation Damage limitation!'... He has been trying to protect his reputation, brand and job at the expense of the chance of staying up and he knows that... He is basically putting VK before the club!...

VK knows that if the team is more pragmatic and only loses by one goal rather than going for it but risking losing by 2 or 3 goals, his job is safe and he will get another crack at it in the Championship...

Hence the reluctance to be as positive as possible, especially with his in-game management and substitutions...

He's taking the pee a bit but the board and Alan Pace are also hugely to blame for that with the signals they are giving about how safe he is and also making it obvious that he won't get sacked this season barring a capitulation or player mutiny!

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1218 times
Has Liked: 7206 times

Post by Quicknick » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:38 pm

The worst top-flight manager we've had? Joe Brown wasn't too good, mind, for those who remember the '70s.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3354 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:57 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:57 am
City are only the 6th highest net spenders over the last 5 years, behind Newcastle (5th), Spurs (4th), Arsenal (3rd),
Man Utd (2nd) and topping the list is Chelsea.
(Football 365/Transfermkt).

So the buy, buy, buy strategy doesn't really seem to be cutting the mustard at either Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford, going off the PL.

Pep therefore must have something about him.
I take your point, but that then implies that the recruitment (director of football?) is far more critical than the manager. If the recruitment side is right, you assemble a team/ squad which basically are all top notch in their given positions and simply go out and run about and batter virtually all comers. Course if you balls up your recruitment a la Chelsea and Man U then yes, it goes very wrong and good management might mitigate some of that, but it ain't going to win you the league.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:14 pm

blatherwickstattoos wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:47 am
Kompany will get us back up and then keep us up. He will also get more points than dyche ever did in his best season (in the prem) with us. (56) I could be wrong on that amount
It was 54 and twice in 2017/18 and 2019/20. Those were remarkable returns and I’ll be astounded if we ever beat that in this league with any manager.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:19 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:57 pm
I take your point, but that then implies that the recruitment (director of football?) is far more critical than the manager. If the recruitment side is right, you assemble a team/ squad which basically are all top notch in their given positions and simply go out and run about and batter virtually all comers. Course if you balls up your recruitment a la Chelsea and Man U then yes, it goes very wrong and good management might mitigate some of that, but it ain't going to win you the league.
Pep is a good manager but I don't think he's perfect. A couple of seasons ago he had lost da Silva, and De Bruyne and Aguerro were injured, yet he carried on as normal and the result was a poor start (including a 5-2 home defeat to Leicester). Eventually he seems to have seen the issue and changed to a more defensive style, so winning games 1-0, 2-0 etc.. This included playing Stones as a proper centre back and not the 'free to move forward' player that he had been. BBC pundits were orgasmic over how Stones was now such a good defender and Pep a genius coach that made him so. When they bought Stones from Everton he already was one of the best defenders, yet it took Guardiola four years to make him a good defender. Not only that but it took a third of a season to realise that missing da Silva, de Bruyne and Aguerro means you can't play the same way.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 351 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:20 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:47 pm
Given his calamitous record with last summer's signings why would anyone want Kompany as Director of football
I don't want more of the same this summer
We could always recommend him to the Venkys :lol:

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:29 pm

MDWat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:24 am
Consistently playing in the Premier League.

There’s a lot of people suggesting that the players we’ve signed aren’t upgrades without any actual like for like comparison. If these players go into the Championship next season and don’t tear it up, then there’s a fair argument to be had. It’s comparison apples and donuts. Last season’s side could have got 50 points this season. They could have got 5. We’ll never know.
I would think many of this seasons purchases 'will become' better then last season's players but the key point of course is that none of them have shown enough to be clearly Premier League material, except perhaps Berge.

Of course what I want is, once we are relegated, for VK to sort the playing staff out (and possibly the coaching staff too). The players that remain will then have a further opportunity to learn English football, hopefully get success in The Championship and be read for another go at The Prem. Some more sensible additions the following season and we'll be OK!

I'm not after his removal as he clearly has something. But he also is clearly not as good as he thought he was.

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:57 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:38 pm
The worst top-flight manager we've had? Joe Brown wasn't too good, mind, for those who remember the '70s.
Hey, have we finally forgiven Owen Coyle?😜
But yes, for those old enough to remember Joe Brown, we really were scraping around.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:01 pm

Billyblah wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:57 pm
Hey, have we finally forgiven Owen Coyle?😜
But yes, for those old enough to remember Joe Brown, we really were scraping around.
Dont think any claret fan will ever forgive the slime-ball, but the football he got out of the squad he inherited was fantastic

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1077 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:07 pm

Our worst top flight manager has to be Brian Law's, he took over from horse head and took us from mid table to relegation losing 15 out of our last 18 game's

Clovius Boofus
Been Liked: 577 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by Clovius Boofus » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:55 pm

Yep. People have short memories.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:15 pm

Tbf Laws took over a squad that had its heart ripped out and basically admitted they downed tools. Kompany brought up a squad on a massive high and was backed in the transfer market and hasn't done any better.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:17 pm

AGENT_CLARET wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:07 pm
Our worst top flight manager has to be Brian Law's, he took over from horse head and took us from mid table to relegation losing 15 out of our last 18 game's
Coyle left in January but we hadn't won a game since October and were in free fall. Laws didn't cover himself in glory but that team was little more than a decent Championship side.
This user liked this post: Carlos the Great

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 377 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:21 pm

We were mid table when Coyle went to Bolton and we had a dreadful run to get relegated /. Bolton were in the bottom 3 when Coyle took over who finished mid table /. Coyle became the most hated man in Burnley

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:35 pm

Carlos the Great wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:21 pm
We were mid table when Coyle went to Bolton and we had a dreadful run to get relegated /. Bolton were in the bottom 3 when Coyle took over who finished mid table /. Coyle became the most hated man in Burnley
We were mid-table but if I recall we were top 5 at one point. We then lost Chris Mac Cann for the season and didn't have a lot left in midfield. We didn't win a game after October and the mid-table position was largely as a consequence of wins in Sept/Oct after that it was relegation form even under Coyle.

We ended up with a young Kevin Mc Donald in midfield who was a Championship player.

So, yes Laws was a disaster but I don't think even Pep would have kept us up that season once the injuries started kicking in because the squad was nowhere near good enough.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:50 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:23 am
Agree but our defensive errors had the greatest impact on the result.
I think not scoring had some impact also.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1485 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:07 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:15 pm
Tbf Laws took over a squad that had its heart ripped out and basically admitted they downed tools. Kompany brought up a squad on a massive high and was backed in the transfer market and hasn't done any better.
Laws was a bad appointment, but he performed roughly as you would expect, given the squad we had and the circumstance of his appointment. As you say, Kompany has had the resource to build his own team and was taking a team that should have comfortably been the 18th best side in the PL before any further investment into a fresh season. There’s no doubt who’s most underperformed.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:35 pm

Kompany has to take the blame for the decisions with recruitment, tactics and in game substitutions but the amount of individual mistakes the players have made you cannot blame him for them all.

Not kompanys fault muric played that pass yesterday or that Trafford decided to come and claim for the ball at home to Luton. Even vitinho giving the ball away at Bournemouth which lead to their second goal.

Ultimately the manager takes the blame but individual mistakes happen and we have suffered from them

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:43 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:35 pm
Kompany has to take the blame for the decisions with recruitment, tactics and in game substitutions but the amount of individual mistakes the players have made you cannot blame him for them all.

Not kompanys fault muric played that pass yesterday or that Trafford decided to come and claim for the ball at home to Luton. Even vitinho giving the ball away at Bournemouth which lead to their second goal.

Ultimately the manager takes the blame but individual mistakes happen and we have suffered from them
But when we have so many 'individual mistakes' then perhaps it's because the system itself is weak?

Management is about setting people (in this case a team of footy players) up for success; if the messaging isn't working then maybe it's the wrong message?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5667 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:45 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:14 pm
It was 54 and twice in 2017/18 and 2019/20. Those were remarkable returns and I’ll be astounded if we ever beat that in this league with any manager.
and it's going to get tougher every year to stay up never mind beat those numbers. The money at the bottom of the league has run away in the last couple of years. It will be very interesting to see how this seasons promoted teams get on next season.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:47 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:43 pm
But when we have so many 'individual mistakes' then perhaps it's because the system itself is weak?

Management is about setting people (in this case a team of footy players) up for success; if the messaging isn't working then maybe it's the wrong message?
there is a reason there are levels in football, one of the key factors is concentration - the TOP players have it and rarely make mistakes but many gain it through experience - we have neither, it's amazing how surprised some are by a lot of things we have seen this season.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:52 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:43 pm

I did stay the tactics is totally on kompany but kompany is directing players to misplay passes or for O’Shea having a bad touch of the ball which leads to him being sent off. Even foster getting red card at Forest away for an elbow that means he misses 3 games, that’s not down to kompany.

There’s a hell of a lot kompany has got wrong this season and tactics and players is the main part. Being 32 games in and trying your striker (who you spent 12 months getting used to England playing up top) wide right it’s just crazy, can’t work out what he is thinking with that. Ok try it once at home to wolves but it clearly didn’t work so to try it again is just strange

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:01 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:47 pm
there is a reason there are levels in football, one of the key factors is concentration - the TOP players have it and rarely make mistakes but many gain it through experience - we have neither, it's amazing how surprised some are by a lot of things we have seen this season.
For sure - that's a huge factor.

My point was more setting the team up for failure/success... It's up to the manager to have a style of play that maximises the talent available to them.
Not shoehorn players into a certain style - because if it is that then you'll never have continuous success.

If we're constantly getting caught making daft mistakes and giving the ball away in areas that directly lead to goals against us then it's all well and good in blaming the players for mistakes but a better manager would realise that certain players cannot execute them tactics regularly and tweak them to minimise the risk that goes with said tactics.

Of course that has to be quantified by goals scored/conceded from said tactics over the course of a season.

Bottom line:

The PL is a hard league - no doubt about that. We've played alright at times but seriously capitulated/not turned up at others and with the points deductions this year had a golden opportunity to stay up.. being so far off staying up after the success of last season is a hard pill to swallow and for me VK hasn't gotten enough out of this set of players, imo.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:05 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:01 pm

My point was more setting the team up for failure/success... It's up to the manager to have a style of play that maximises the talent available to them.
Not shoehorn players into a certain style - because if it is that then you'll never have continuous success.

If we're constantly getting caught making daft mistakes and giving the ball away in areas that directly lead to goals against us then it's all well and good in blaming the players for mistakes but a better manager would realise that certain players cannot execute them tactics regularly and tweak them to minimise the risk that goes with said tactics.

Of course that has to be quantified by goals scored/conceded from said tactics over the course of a season.

Bottom line:

The PL is a hard league - no doubt about that. We've played alright at times but seriously capitulated/not turned up at others and with the points deductions this year had a golden opportunity to stay up.. being so far off staying up after the success of last season is a hard pill to swallow and for me VK hasn't gotten enough out of this set of players, imo.
Pretty good statement overall can’t argue with that.

The VAR decisions at Forest away and Luton at home are massive turning points in the season for me.

Forest is our first away game of the season and sets us up with more confidence and then the Luton at home one is off the back of 3 good performances against Fulham Liverpool and Villa, the last minute equaliser galvanised Luton and they go on and beat Brighton 4-0 next league game
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:18 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:01 pm

Bottom line:

confidence and momentum mate, they can all talk a good game but getting smashed every week from the very first game of the has taken it's toll - polar opposite of last season when the confidence and momentum got us results. End of the day, the season has been a complete cluster whichever way we all try to dissect it and the sad thing is it has been mainly self inflicted and unnecessary.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:20 pm

I'll add, I 100% expected us to get relegated after the transfer window BUT I expected us to have at least another 10-12 points at this stage

edit: I wrote the above incorrectly, I meant I expected us to finish with another 10-12 more than we have, I figured between 30-35 points at the end so we are way short

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:29 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:45 pm
and it's going to get tougher every year to stay up never mind beat those numbers. The money at the bottom of the league has run away in the last couple of years. It will be very interesting to see how this seasons promoted teams get on next season.
Vegas -have been to Leicester games about 8 times this season. Lots of similarities with us last season. They will have major challenges if they go up. From what I have learned with ourselves they will be well short next year. Hermansen their GK is an exceptional young keeper and could thrive in the PL, Dewsbury Hall is a very good midfielder, Vardy is still their best striker but showing his years, and they have two very good young widemen-Fatima and Madividi but in the PL they are going to spend a lot of time tracking back. The rest of the squad needs an overhaul and strengthening. There lies the problem. They have just posted two consecutive set of accounts showing circa £90m losses in both years

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:30 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:29 pm
Vegas -have been to Leicester games about 8 times this season. Lots of similarities with us last season. They will have major challenges if they go up. From what I have learned with ourselves they will be well short next year. Hermansen their GK is an exceptional young keeper and could thrive in the PL, Dewsbury Hall is a very good midfielder, Vardy is still their best striker but showing his years, and they have two very good young widemen-Fatima and Madividi but in the PL they are going to spend a lot of time tracking back. The rest of the squad needs an overhaul and strengthening. There lies the problem. They have just posted two consecutive set of accounts showing circa £90m losses in both years
yep exactly that !!! If the same happens next season and the 3 that go up come down then the pyramid is screwed (I think it is already)