Game changer yesterday

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Game changer yesterday

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:11 am

The general theme on here is that taking Gray off changed the game, in hindsight it didn't work out but for me Dembele coming on as a sub changed the game. This view was backed up by a Spurs fan I was talking to after the game who would of took a point at half time. It's no coincidence our central midfield were all at sea yesterday when he came on.

When Son came on we couldn't cope with his movement which was another game changer. Far more impact on the game than Gray going off.

minnieclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2287 times

Re: Game changer yesterday

Post by minnieclaret » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:16 am

100%. The two subs just on HT made a major impact on the match.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:23 am

Dembele, alongside Kante are tge best CM in the Prem for me.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:24 am

I was surprised son wasnt starting. Far better than janssen.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 2635 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:43 am

Totally agree with the OP. Strange to think that the two injuries did them a favour on the day.
I also wonder if they had been made aware that Chelsea were losing to Palace at half time --who knows?

claretspice
Been Liked: 2834 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:45 am

I don't disagree but we were very much in the game until Gray went off. That was as significant a moment for me.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:46 am

Got to agree. Although Gray's withdrawal made us a lot more toothless, Spurs moved up a couple of gears in the second half and probably would have been out of sight with or without Gray on the pitch. And all 3 of their substitutions strengthened them.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5214 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:54 am

Spurs played a weakened team. In the first half it made it easier for our 11 defenders to hang on to 0-0. Grays substitution coincided with Spurs deciding to try and win the game. We missed our chance leaving our two best footballers on the bench when spurs had half their B team out in the first half

Dyched
Been Liked: 1926 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:48 am

Dembele is a class act. So underrated. His elegance and grace for such a big man is fantastic. He makes everything look so simple.

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:58 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Spurs played a weakened team. In the first half it made it easier for our 11 defenders to hang on to 0-0. Grays substitution coincided with Spurs deciding to try and win the game. We missed our chance leaving our two best footballers on the bench when spurs had half their B team out in the first half
Completely agree that we had our best two footballers on the bench. But do not think for one minute that we were hanging on to 0-0 with 11 defenders. We made a game of it in the first half and showed some good attacking intent - didn't create that much in the way of chances, but neither did they. There is no doubt that our fate was sealed once the inexplicable substitution of Gray was made and Spurs were able to push up and attack more.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:02 pm

Tell me one player in the starting line up who's primary role for the team is an attacking one. Even our two strikers are defensive in that Grays main role is to stop the opposition playing a high line and Barnes is in the team to hoof it up to and to try and win free kicks to give the defence a bit of rest bite

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:19 pm

I have watched all the highlight shows and not one has shown a single thing that Gray did. So how can he have been as effective as people on here are sayong?

Belial
Been Liked: 382 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:I have watched all the highlight shows and not one has shown a single thing that Gray did. So how can he have been as effective as people on here are sayong?
Agree with you there. I don't think he did much either. He wasn't helped that all we seemed to do in the first half was hoof it down the flanks for him to chase (meaning he wasn't in the centre where he should have been, collecting crosses and through balls [what are those?])

I must miss what others have seen though because I saw a player who looked uninterested (and has for a number of games now)

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:I have watched all the highlight shows and not one has shown a single thing that Gray did. So how can he have been as effective as people on here are sayong?
Because Dyche plays him as a defender. His role is not to do anything with the ball for us but to stop the other team pressing us in our half by making their defence play deeper

It's sad that this is how we have to achieve success but even I can't argue that it hasn't worked unbelievably well over the last 18 months

3putt
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by 3putt » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:38 pm

Belial wrote:Agree with you there. I don't think he did much either. He wasn't helped that all we seemed to do in the first half was hoof it down the flanks for him to chase (meaning he wasn't in the centre where he should have been, collecting crosses and through balls [what are those?])

I must miss what others have seen though because I saw a player who looked uninterested (and has for a number of games now)

He is still our most attacking threat.

As you say his job consists of chasing hoofed balls down the flanks rather than running on to through balls and getting on the end of crosses.

I don't think he looks uninterested, more like disgruntled and frustrated and that is hardly surprising given our tactics. It must be pretty shi**y being a striker at Burnley with the way we play.

Belial
Been Liked: 382 times
Has Liked: 321 times

Post by Belial » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:44 pm

3putt wrote:He is still our most attacking threat.

As you say his job consists of chasing hoofed balls down the flanks rather than running on to through balls and getting on the end of crosses.

I don't think he looks uninterested, more like disgruntled and frustrated and that is hardly surprising given our tactics. It must be pretty shi**y being a striker at Burnley with the way we play.
Agree with that too. I though Ings got that way when he had similar in his last season with us, and it is a fair point that it probably gets to you after a while when the service is so bad. I do see more interest from Vokes and Barnes though (not suggesting they are better). To me Gray hasn't looked right for weeks

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 837 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Gray did nothing spectacular that's a fair comment. But it was blatantly obvious too me as soon as he went off the Spurs back line went 10 maybe even 15 yards further up the pitch from that point we rarely got out of our half.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 859 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:02 pm

The Gray sub was the game changer, although I agree Dembele was also very good when he came on. Gray might not have done a great amount but he occupied their defence more than Barnes did all afternoon. I personally thought Barnes was as ineffective as I've ever seen yesterday. He didn't upset their back line or make a nuisance of himself at all. He was seriously dire. At least Gray was doing something.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:05 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Tell me one player in the starting line up who's primary role for the team is an attacking one. Even our two strikers are defensive in that Grays main role is to stop the opposition playing a high line and Barnes is in the team to hoof it up to and to try and win free kicks to give the defence a bit of rest bite
What the hell is rest bite?

CleggHall
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 1051 times

Post by CleggHall » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:13 pm

It's what Suarez does!

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:31 pm

jlup1980 wrote:The Gray sub was the game changer, although I agree Dembele was also very good when he came on. Gray might not have done a great amount but he occupied their defence more than Barnes did all afternoon. I personally thought Barnes was as ineffective as I've ever seen yesterday. He didn't upset their back line or make a nuisance of himself at all. He was seriously dire. At least Gray was doing something.
Yeah I agree Gray was a nuisance but not majorly effective to creating anything.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 782 times
Has Liked: 1437 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:17 pm

Wouldn't mind a sneaky swap deal for Gray and Son

k90bfc
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 5544 times

Post by k90bfc » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Andre Gray,needs some service,through balls to run onto and Score!

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1706 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:09 pm

We keep talking about chances for Gray, but other than our two full backs no one is able to cross the ball in quickly JBG has been injured more than he has been fit, Defour is out of favour and Brady whilst being our record signing and captain of his country is not trusted to start. Having seen the form of Boyd lately I would sacrifice the work rate for someone who can take a free kick or corner to the level required in the PL If we continue to start with the team that has largely started since late Jan (and we haven't won a game since-plus knocked out of the Cup buy a non league side), then much as I love the club, we will deserve to go down.

Until recently I could name 4-5 clubs that we were likely to end up the season higher. Now it looks like Boro and Sunderland only for certs, as I suspect Swansea & Hull could both go on a mini run and Palace and Leicester should end up in the top half. Hope I am wrong, but I am a big believer in short term form, and we are slipping. This is a big test for SD's tactics and his ability to steady nerves.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc Top Claret

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1491 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:44 pm

Awful substitutions.Gray should have stayed on as should Boyd.Hendrick was a passenger and should have been hooked for Tarks.
Arfield could have made room for Brady who actually is a left winger and Defour for Joey who had his worse game since signing.
Sean needs to get his head round attacking.ball to feet and no hoof ball.
This user liked this post: Top Claret