ARTICLE: Burnley are crowned champions of England

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32235 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

ARTICLE: Burnley are crowned champions of England

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 02, 2017 10:50 am

iluva64
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Re: ARTICLE: Burnley are crowned champions of England

Post by iluva64 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:10 am

Showed the article to my Dad, he was there. He can still remember all the players in that team,...........I sadly was only 7months old.

Its nearly a year ago since we won the same trophy too, but as championship champions.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 02, 2017 11:19 am

Only just before my time. My timing wasn't so good and I started watching the Clarets in the following season. But my dad went, got home from Maine Road and took me down to watch the team coming home. At least I did see all those players play for Burnley.

I am in awe of what we are achieving right now and I would say that once our safety is confirmed it will be the club's biggest achievement since this title. Even back then in 1960, with a more level playing field, it was an incredible achievement for a club of our size.
This user liked this post: Cooperclaret

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:41 am

My older brother went on a coach from Haslingden. I'd just turned 8 years of age so no way was my mum going to let me go in such a big crowd. The odd thing was though that there was no coverage at all if the game. We just didn't know what was happening. Mentioned this before but my dad left the house just after 9 o'clock(I'd been allowed to stay up until we found out the score) and returned some 15 minutes or so later to tell us that we'd won and were champions. Never found out where he went or how he found out and it has remained one of those wonderful mysteries that we have reflected on many times over the years.
These 2 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret BFCmaj

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 02, 2017 11:59 am

It's hardly believable now, given the saturation coverage of football, that in 1960 those at home had absolutely no idea what was happening.

Senor
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Senor » Tue May 02, 2017 12:55 pm

I was there and can never forget that night. How many more of us are left?

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm

I was there. I turned 70 last week and still go on to watch the Clarets whenever I am back in England. Even though I live in Spain, I still try and manage about eight to ten games a season. This season I have been particularly proud to have been a Burnley fan: what we have achieved under Sean Dyche is amazing and long may it continue, especially seeing what is going on down the road at Deadwood.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm

I was there. I turned 70 last week and still go on to watch the Clarets whenever I am back in England. Even though I live in Spain, I still try and manage about eight to ten games a season. This season I have been particularly proud to have been a Burnley fan: what we have achieved under Sean Dyche is amazing and long may it continue, especially seeing what is going on down the road at Deadwood.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Senor wrote:How many more of us are left?
I certainly know a good number of people who were there but naturally the number are dwindling. We always have to remember our great achievements.

Frenchclaret
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by Frenchclaret » Tue May 02, 2017 1:46 pm

I was there, aged 16, with my grandad. I wrote a brief article a couple of years ago called "Grandad's last away game" about that night - maybe CT can find it or perhaps it was on the other unmentionable site.
Tony, wasn't there a radio commentary on the game? I always thought so, but of course I was at the match so don't really know. How else did all those people know that we had won the title as they lined the streets of the Rossendale valley?
It was a wonderful night, despite queuing for ages to get into the ground and missing the first goal and the equaliser.

Many years later I spoke to Denis Law at a Sportsman's Dinner in Peterborough and we discussed the game which he remembered vividly. I asked him about the missed chance in the final minutes and his eyes twinkled and he smiled. Nothing was said but I believe he didn't want to score and the City players were happy for us to have won it. City have always been my favourite second side ever since - up until recently!
These 2 users liked this post: claretblue davemanu2000

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue May 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Frenchclaret wrote:I was there, aged 16, with my grandad. I wrote a brief article a couple of years ago called "Grandad's last away game" about that night - maybe CT can find it or perhaps it was on the other unmentionable site.
Tony, wasn't there a radio commentary on the game? I always thought so, but of course I was at the match so don't really know. How else did all those people know that we had won the title as they lined the streets of the Rossendale valley?
It was a wonderful night, despite queuing for ages to get into the ground and missing the first goal and the equaliser.

Many years later I spoke to Denis Law at a Sportsman's Dinner in Peterborough and we discussed the game which he remembered vividly. I asked him about the missed chance in the final minutes and his eyes twinkled and he smiled. Nothing was said but I believe he didn't want to score and the City players were happy for us to have won it. City have always been my favourite second side ever since - up until recently!
I think they would have found out by telephone. (There's an old story, supposedly true but probably not, about Crewe v Tottenham in the cup. The match at Crewe finished 0-0, so midweek replay at Tottenham, and there was a crowd outside Gresty Road waiting for the result to be phoned through from the replay. Eventually someone leaned out of the grandstand window and shouted out "13-2". There was a stunned and disappointed silence, until someone in the crowd shouted "Who to?")

If the article is still traceable, it'll still be copyright to you (except perhaps if you were paid for writing it). So even if it's on "the other site", if you can find it you can republish it wherever you can find a home.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 02, 2017 2:46 pm

I used to go down to the Turf when we played midweek games to try and get the score. Someone would come out and shout it out to us.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:00 pm

I remember the cup tie between Crewe and Tottenham. Think the first game ended 2-2 at Gresty Rd. but another story connected to the game, possibly a myth was that when Crewe arrived in London for the game their train pulled in at Platform 2 and the return journey left from Platform 13.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue May 02, 2017 4:04 pm

The prose in that write up is so different from anything you'd see today. It's very understated and deliberate even when describing something extremely exciting. Excellent read though.

I've seen that team photo many times & always have a little chuckle at the marvel that are Alex Elder's legs. In the day's before gym weights etc, how did the Northern Irishman get a set of pegs like that? Quite a contrast to Ray Pointer's at the other end of the back row. Our number 3 must've done about a thousand bunny-hops per day.
This user liked this post: davemanu2000

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue May 02, 2017 4:40 pm

What were the celebrations like (both at the game and back in Burnley)? Were there tears of joy and wild jubilation or was it all a bit more understated back then in that respect?

Frenchclaret
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by Frenchclaret » Tue May 02, 2017 4:52 pm

If you compare the photo on the article of the victory coach ride with the last few years photos you will see that there are no banners or balloons. We just had scarves, rosettes and rattles - we were simple folk then !!!
As for tears of joy - not British was it. Most people had not seen the Clarets win anything major before and didn't quite know how to handle it. My granddad had seen them win an FA cup and a Championship. I wonder what the celebrations were like then? Probably, they threw their flat caps in the air!
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 02, 2017 6:03 pm

LeadBelly wrote:I've seen that team photo many times & always have a little chuckle at the marvel that are Alex Elder's legs. In the day's before gym weights etc, how did the Northern Irishman get a set of pegs like that? Quite a contrast to Ray Pointer's at the other end of the back row. Our number 3 must've done about a thousand bunny-hops per day.
I think one of Elder's legs was probably bigger than both of Pointer's - James Tarkowski is our modern day Alex Elder in that respect.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 02, 2017 6:04 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:What were the celebrations like (both at the game and back in Burnley)? Were there tears of joy and wild jubilation or was it all a bit more understated back then in that respect?
Massive crowds out as they returned home and then the following week when they went on the open top bus tour which took in most of the town. Probably different than it is today but still wild celebrations I would imagine.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

Saxoman
Been Liked: 575 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Saxoman » Tue May 02, 2017 7:20 pm

ClaretTony wrote:It's 57 years ago today

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/burnley-are ... of-england
Cue the pathe news chicken..

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Tue May 02, 2017 7:25 pm

'...Probably, they threw their flat caps in the air!...'

Just the women! :D

Saxoman
Been Liked: 575 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Saxoman » Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Did chumenly warner commentate?

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Tue May 02, 2017 7:28 pm

Saxoman wrote:Cue the pathe news chicken..
Typical. Blackburn fan turns up and the word 'chicken' quickly appears.
Roll on Sunday.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue May 02, 2017 7:44 pm

My first season supporting 59/60, champions of the 1st Division with a classy, cerebral attacking team.
Goals aplenty from Connelly, Pointer and Robson, scheming subtlety from Adamson and McIlroy, fullbacks to dream of in Angus and Elder and Blacklaw was a very decent goalie.

Unsurprisingly it has been mainly downhill since then but thanks for all the ups and downs over the 57 year period.
A lifetime sentence!

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Great night as a 13 year old attending with my dad and his two friends. My lasting memories are of a crowd containing colours of sky blue, claret and blue and the gold of Wolves and being all packed in like sardines. It was unbearably tense and at the end the four of us just looked at each other in amazement -- we were champions of England!! It seemed to hours to get out of Manchester and any thought of going to Burnley was shelved and we returned home to Ossie still in a daze.
As Clegg says, it has been a mixed bag watching the Clarets since 1952 but I would not swap my experiences for anything and just hope that my health holds up for a few more years so I can continue my pilgrimages.
These 4 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 Frenchclaret ClaretTony davemanu2000

davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by davemanu2000 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:08 am

I do remember the match . In the absence of TV ,radio sports programme and Sunday papers ,I hurried to buy a newspaper on Monday afternoon to get the happy news .