Not been on t'Turf for a very long time ......

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Not been on t'Turf for a very long time ......

Post by BigChaCha » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:33 pm

.... but going on tomorrow.

To cut a long story short, I have serious anxiety and agoraphobia. I struggle to even take the dog for a walk round the block but my 11 year old son has been begging me to take him on for ages so I'm taking him on tomorrow.

With this in mind I'm hoping to make my it as easy as possible to get in and out so please can anyone advise on parking as I'm out of the loop. I live in Accrington so looking for the best place to park that's not too far away from the ground but will be somewhere I can get back to Accrington with as little traffic ect as possible. TIA.
These 2 users liked this post: BFCmaj turfytopper

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Re: Not been on t'Turf for a very long time ......

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:40 pm

Good luck BCC,Hope everything goes ok for you.

claretrobo1
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by claretrobo1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:43 pm

Good luck my friend. Takes a lot of courage to do that, however I’m not too sure on the best parking for you to avoid traffic, sorry

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:44 pm

If you get there soon enough there are some scallys on the Park View car park round the back, a fiver and right next to the ground,God loves a Scally :)

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Good luck. Hope everything goes well and you return regularly

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:46 pm

I find the streets round the back of the old Sparrowhawk pub , e.g. Lindsay Street, Forest Street) are decent for parking and a fairly short walk across the TK Maxx car park to the culvert then turn left to the ground. Good luck.
This user liked this post: Leisure

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:48 pm

BigChaCha wrote:.... but going on tomorrow.

To cut a long story short, I have serious anxiety and agoraphobia. I struggle to even take the dog for a walk round the block but my 11 year old son has been begging me to take him on for ages so I'm taking him on tomorrow.

With this in mind I'm hoping to make my it as easy as possible to get in and out so please can anyone advise on parking as I'm out of the loop. I live in Accrington so looking for the best place to park that's not too far away from the ground but will be somewhere I can get back to Accrington with as little traffic ect as possible. TIA.
All the best fella.

Park near the Woodman, Burnley Wood. After go up Hufling Lane. Along Glen View then down Rossy Road. Your half way home by Rose Grove lights!

Hope all goes well for you and your lad. Enjoy the game.

UTC
Last edited by RingoMcCartney on Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by Fretters » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:57 pm

Horrible thing is anxiety, my wife suffers from it. Can't imagine it coupled with agoraphobia though.

As for parking, there'll be plenty of free street parking with it being an evening game on the outskirts of the town centre. I use Kingsway and the streets around the Royal Mail sorting office. There aren't any crowds of people around there, not much traffic and is about 10-15 minutes walk to the ground (go across the St Peter's Centre car park).

Good luck, hope you enjoy it.

paulus the woodgnome
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Hope all goes well for you BigChaCha and you get to see us do the double over Chelsea!

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:03 pm

If you want to more or less be free of traffic jams, then King Street Car Park (by the courthouse) is almost a mile from the ground but is handy for the motorway to get away after the match. If you're too close to the Turf, it could be half an hour before the traffic moves and Manchester Road is not easy. King Street is an open space, though, and it's a while before you reach closed-in street scenery.

Genuinely out of interest, not making light of your condition, but does an umbrella help?

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Does anyone know if the usual Tuesday evening no parking restrictions on streets in the vacinity of the ground will be in force tomorrow (with it being a Thursday evening)?

btw I'm not suggesting that you park close to the ground as it will take you ages to get away.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Leisure wrote:Does anyone know if the usual Tuesday evening no parking restrictions on streets in the vacinity of the ground will be in force tomorrow (with it being a Thursday evening)?
That's the nonsense of those signs - only applicable on a Saturday or a Thursday. It meant, potentially, anyone parking on Harry Potts Way for a meeting last night could find themselves getting a parking ticket.

For tomorrow's game they will have to put cones out.

All they need to do is change the signs to relate to times either side of a game.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:29 pm

best of luck Cha Cha!

hope all goes well! ;)

Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by Chip Harrison » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:I find the streets round the back of the old Sparrowhawk pub , e.g. Lindsay Street, Forest Street) are decent for parking and a fairly short walk across the TK Maxx car park to the culvert then turn left to the ground. Good luck.
Residents parking only in some areas. Be careful.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:38 pm

I'd park as near as possible to the turf...deep breaths and in you go. After the game you'll be so glad you "did it" you won't be worried about the journey home. Don't fight the anxiety. Embrace it. All the best!!! And may I add.... As you live in accy try attending a game or two there to get you back into dealing with crowds of people.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:44 pm

Earlier you get there the better. What stand are you sitting in? CFS can get extremely busy around kick off and half time

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:53 pm

BigChaCha - I go to all the home games on a minibus from Accrington as I can't drive.

Would it be something you would consider if there is room?

A bit rough and ready depending on how old your lad is.
This user liked this post: sox8595

D8BFC
Been Liked: 91 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by D8BFC » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:59 pm

tybfc wrote:BigChaCha - I go to all the home games on a minibus from Accrington as I can't drive.

Would it be something you would consider if there is room?

A bit rough and ready depending on how old your lad is.
This is why i love this board at times!!! :)
This user liked this post: sox8595

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:06 pm

try ringing the club and explaining the position.

When my daughter broke a bone in her ankle and was on crutches they organised a parking space in the car park behind the longside.

Only downer is that they don't let you drive out of the car park until the crowds have dissipated so might be better you take your time getting back to the car tio save you sitting in the car with thousands of fans milling round

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:50 pm

I hope you and your son have a wonderful time together tomorrow night regardless of the result. All the best BigChaCha.

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Decent car park behind St Mary's convent (Facing Wellington pub) usually places left at around 6.30.
£5
Best of luck mate!

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Good luck mate

If quick escape is the idea, then the car park next to the bus station is good, and its only a ten minute walk to the ground.

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:That's the nonsense of those signs - only applicable on a Saturday or a Thursday. It meant, potentially, anyone parking on Harry Potts Way for a meeting last night could find themselves getting a parking ticket.

For tomorrow's game they will have to put cones out.

All they need to do is change the signs to relate to times either side of a game.
Tony - Think you meant Tuesday,
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:58 pm

They'll cover all days soon...

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Good post. And good luck. If its any use you can usr my allocated parking space which is close to the ground. Walking in 5 minutes. You may need to leave just before the whistle to avoid the crowds though or hang about afterwards. Either way youre welcome to use it. Let me know...

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 756 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:20 pm

My brother in law has social anxiety and I know how debilitating it can be.

Hats off to you for being a good dad

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Leisure wrote:Tony - Think you meant Tuesday,
What’s a couple of days between friends? :D
This user liked this post: Leisure

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks for all the good wishes.

As recommended by Ringo, I think i'll go the Rossendale Rd/Todmorden Rd route.
I am on Google maps now, planning it out like a military mission :)

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:07 pm

It’s a good route. We’ve always parked up there, it’ll be a pleasant walk down tomorrow evening in the sunshine.

KLClaret
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by KLClaret » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Do it mate, have been in a similar situation. Do it .

Espia
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Espia » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:17 pm

A good old walk is a great remedy for anxiety. Why not park up early somewhere high up on Manchester Road and take a slow walk down there and on to Centenary Way where you'll get a great view of the ground and you can just take in the big picture of it just being a game of football. Then after the game when everyone is getting hot under the collar trying to get out of the jam around Yorkshire St you can have a long slow walk back to the car. By the time you get there you'll be all relaxed again and the queues will have gone down a great deal and you can get straight onto the Motorway back to Accy.

Good luck.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:40 pm

Good luck and enjoy (hopefully)

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:41 pm

Just reading all the posts on this thread...what a wonderful supportive bunch you all are.

Burtonwoodclaret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Burtonwoodclaret » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:47 pm

The Catholic Church Car Park at the bottom of Todmorden Road is good but you would need to be there an hour before kick off to get a place. It’s only a five minute walk to the ground. They charge £5.00. Returning via Tod Road , Glenn View and Rossendale Road works well for me, to get to the M65. The traffic is usually better than other routes . Hope you get there and enjoy the game with your lad.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:07 am

Good luck mate, and well done.
My mum has suffered with agoraphobia since just a few months after I was born.
She has just recently started to go on short journeys away from the street she has lived on for the last 37 years.
I know how difficult it all is and I know how proud your son will be of you for the effort you are making

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:13 am

Big Cha Cha,
very, very brave thing to do,
you should take immense pride in what you are doing, well done mate.
It will be okay, and as others have said, doing it for your son is fantastic.
You will be amongst fellow clarets from start to finish. Hope you can take further steps to get stronger with this. well done.