The state of Burnley (the town)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

The state of Burnley (the town)

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed May 23, 2018 11:15 pm

Go for a walk every night after work and today just went local. Ended up going through Thompsons Park. Ive noticed recently theyve been doing a bit of work to it. (Walked through there to rowley onto worsthorne Saturday).

Usually first to criticise the state of Burnley. But got to say well impressed with Thompsons Park. Also Queens Park and Towneley are looking very good. The three of them would definitely be the envy of plenty of other towns. Money well spent and job well done.

Parts of Burnley are now looking very good. (Even the town centre is now looking better after being spruced up too).

Still plenty of work to do in other areas. Hopefully the primark will bring more spending to the town. For all the flack it gets it does the job its there for very well.

Three areas / cracking buildings that could do with investment.

Prestige. Great building going to waste. Not in a bad spot and there must be someone or something worth taking a risk on it. That building would be well sought after elsewhere.

Burnley College (the old one). Stunning building. Part of thompsons park. Another just rotting. Probably needs more spending on it than prestige but its such a shame to see it like it is. (Im actually pretty sure theres squatters in there).

Sparrow. Used to be a great pre match pub. Another historic building being wasted when new craps thrown up. (Same down bottom of St James St where M and S is).

Not sure what any of them could be used for. Theres enough new builds and apartments. Perhaps the town should look to get outside investors to buy into these great buildings that would be miles cheaper than anywhere else in the country. A new market maybe? Current ones shoddy and poorly managed. An afflecks palace type market? That area used to be the old town centre at the turn of the last century. Maybe art galleries or museum?

Overall with the club doing well. The new trains and new routes / lines. Beautiful parks. Revamped town centre. 'Super schools'. Things are looking better than ever for Burnley. :-)
These 6 users liked this post: Burnley Ace nil_desperandum turfytopper Stalbansclaret bfcjg Turfytop

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Re: The state of Burnley (the town)

Post by tim_noone » Wed May 23, 2018 11:19 pm

You've been on the crystal meth again!!!!
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets BertiesBeehole

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Wed May 23, 2018 11:53 pm

I agree. It's ironic that the Victorian legacy of several amazing parks didn't anticipate the cost of maintaining them but I think
the Council do their best. It is impossible to quantify the benefits of these amenities but I guess they have a massive impact on
the health and well being of the people of Burnley. Maybe that is something else (as well as BFC) which sets us apart.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 24, 2018 12:07 am

COBBLE wrote:I agree. It's ironic that the Victorian legacy of several amazing parks didn't anticipate the cost of maintaining them but I think
the Council do their best. It is impossible to quantify the benefits of these amenities but I guess they have a massive impact on
the health and well being of the people of Burnley. Maybe that is something else (as well as BFC) which sets us apart.
Yep. Queens Park, Thompsons Park and Towneley all packed. Good to see in this day and age.

Prestige, College and Sparrow are all rotting though. Proper waste.

Dazzler
Been Liked: 874 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Thu May 24, 2018 12:19 am

Building that new school on lower towenely was sacrelige . ;)

Dazzler
Been Liked: 874 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Thu May 24, 2018 12:27 am

I'm not ashamed to admit that at times I got more than just a bit homesick when In the Army,Especially when based in Germany.
Not necessarily for my family,the clarets or pals.
Just missed the town in general.

As the saying goes 'It might be a sh!tehole,but It's our sh!tehole. ;)
These 4 users liked this post: bobinho Corky tim_noone BleedingClaret

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 24, 2018 12:33 am

Dazzler wrote:I'm not ashamed to admit that at times I got more than just a bit homesick when In the Army,Especially when based in Germany.
Not necessarily for my family,the clarets or pals.
Just missed the town in general.

As the saying goes 'It might be a sh!tehole,but It's our sh!tehole. ;)
True enough. I groan too much about it at times. But if anyone from outside burnley slates it, especially my colleagues in brighton it really grinds my ******* gears :lol:

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Thu May 24, 2018 12:34 am

Employment opportunities attract money.
Better Transport links the same.
That's what creates investment and growth.

These are the best ways to encourage people with money to spend on older building in Burnley.
The local economy is not strong enough for investors to risk.
Transport is the main issue.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Thu May 24, 2018 3:57 am

When I lived there (long ago) it was Thompson Park.

ClaretMoffitt
Been Liked: 1216 times
Has Liked: 807 times

Post by ClaretMoffitt » Thu May 24, 2018 5:06 am

Nowhere near as bad or scruffy as people outside of Burnley like to suggest it is.
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper k90bfc

Geoff
Been Liked: 45 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Geoff » Thu May 24, 2018 6:57 am

Bullabill wrote:When I lived there (long ago) it was Thompson Park.
It still is.

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Thu May 24, 2018 7:41 am

Well said cricket field Claret.
The town is getting there. Money only goes so far. The transport situation has improved. New bus and rail stations, direct trains to Manchester. What We need is more jobs if the northern powerhouse is to get off the ground as it seems to have gone quiet at present.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu May 24, 2018 7:50 am

Plenty of improvements made, which is great to see and also more tech jobs heading to the area, which can only be of benefit. Always surprised when people from Surrounding towns slate the area, it’s much tidier than the likes of Blackburn, Bradford, Blackpool etc
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Thu May 24, 2018 7:51 am

When we buy the cricket field and build the new Turf Moor they could use the Prestige facade as the grand entrance. A proper landmark building. Apologies if the thought of a new Turf Moor has made anybody spit out their cornflakes.
The college would be perfect for apartments, just to preserve it. If it worked at Ilex Mill it can work anywhere.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tim_noone

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Thu May 24, 2018 8:16 am

As an outsider who only comes into the town for home games, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Burnley as a town.

It certainly a lot better now than when I first got off the train at Burnley central all those years ago!
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu May 24, 2018 9:02 am

Not long ago I ended up the area near where Trafalgar Flats used to be. Not been there for some time and I was amazed how transformed the whole area is. It's good to see new life put into old mills and buildings. Glad they pulled the flats down though.

lancastrian
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by lancastrian » Thu May 24, 2018 9:03 am

Returned to my home town last summer for a short break. Visited one of my old haunts namely Scott Park. Maybe not to the standard of the late forties and fifties but much improved from ten twenty years ago. Surprised that the bowling greens were closed where as in the period mentioned they would have been a hive of acrivity with play going on until it was almost impossible to see. As for playing on the top green you more or less had to prove you had the proper qualifications.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu May 24, 2018 9:14 am

When I saw the headline I thought Burnley had declared independence.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tim_noone BleedingClaret

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 24, 2018 9:55 am

Blackrod wrote:Not long ago I ended up the area near where Trafalgar Flats used to be. Not been there for some time and I was amazed how transformed the whole area is. It's good to see new life put into old mills and buildings. Glad they pulled the flats down though.
Yep all thats been redone too. Although another great building the in on the wharf now derilict.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 24, 2018 9:56 am

piston broke wrote:When we buy the cricket field and build the new Turf Moor they could use the Prestige facade as the grand entrance. A proper landmark building. Apologies if the thought of a new Turf Moor has made anybody spit out their cornflakes.
The college would be perfect for apartments, just to preserve it. If it worked at Ilex Mill it can work anywhere.
That would be something.

Zugunruhe
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Zugunruhe » Thu May 24, 2018 12:21 pm

There are plans in the pipeline for the old Grammar School - see link. I was one of those who would slag our town off in the past, but it is certainly doing much better than many towns in the north west.

https://bit.ly/2GKt1ZK
Last edited by Zugunruhe on Thu May 24, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Thu May 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Three things I noticed when I was back in Burnley for a few games on the Turf. 1, the roads in the town are awful, potholes everywhere, 2, walking round the centre I heard many more foreign languages being spoken than I expected, 3, more people begging for money than I expected, ie people coming up to me asking for 50p or suchlike.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Thu May 24, 2018 1:07 pm

Vino blanco wrote:Three things I noticed when I was back in Burnley for a few games on the Turf. 1, the roads in the town are awful, potholes everywhere, 2, walking round the centre I heard many more foreign languages being spoken than I expected, 3, more people begging for money than I expected, ie people coming up to me asking for 50p or suchlike.
You could be describing lots of town in the UK.
This user liked this post: sanderson370

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Thu May 24, 2018 1:23 pm

lancastrian wrote:Returned to my home town last summer for a short break. Visited one of my old haunts namely Scott Park. Maybe not to the standard of the late forties and fifties but much improved from ten twenty years ago. Surprised that the bowling greens were closed where as in the period mentioned they would have been a hive of acrivity with play going on until it was almost impossible to see. As for playing on the top green you more or less had to prove you had the proper qualifications.
I live facing Scott Park and I am in there twice a day minimum walking my dog.

It's a great little park and very well cared for by the paid staff and a number of volunteers. It always achieves the park green flag award which I believe is the national standard.

The top bowling green does get used regularly but I haven't seen the bottom one in use much at all in recent years.

They also try their best with events. I believe there is a big fun day in mid June with donkey rides and all other sorts of stuff and also Fake That are playing on the band stand in August in August. Money raised goes to improving the park.

The work round Trafalgar with Slater Mill and Terrace etc is excellent. I have been in the Mill and it's been renovated fantastically well. Not sure about the design of the new building where the Mitre was though.

I also spend a lot of time in other towns and cities in the UK and trust me, Burnley is much better than a lot I have been to. The are some absolute hovels out there.

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Thu May 24, 2018 1:27 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:True enough. I groan too much about it at times. But if anyone from outside burnley slates it, especially my colleagues in brighton it really grinds my ******* gears :lol:
People in Brighton have absolutely no locus standi to comment about Burnley being rubbish, save that they know what a cr4phole looks like as they are living in one. It's full of beggars, has rubbish shopping facilities and mars the South Coast like a toilet that is blocked with pretentious turds that just won't jettison itself in the direction of France. The football ground is ok, but that isn't in Brighton.

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Thu May 24, 2018 1:32 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote: Not sure about the design of the new building where the Mitre was though.
Agree with everyone on here in that I love going home to Burnley. But the new building at the Mitre junction is an absolute horror show.

shulgin
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by shulgin » Thu May 24, 2018 8:43 pm

Get to Burnley Market indoor. Still a monstrosity but some good eat in food stalls - Thai, Carribbean, Ethiopian, Chinese, Italian...

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu May 24, 2018 9:00 pm

I took my dad to the weaver's triangle museum last summer and was disappointed to see the pub up there on the canal bank had closed. Not sure how long it's been closed for but seemed a shame in such an attractive and interesting spot in Burnley.

ClaretEngineer
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 406 times

Post by ClaretEngineer » Thu May 24, 2018 9:48 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:I took my dad to the weaver's triangle museum last summer and was disappointed to see the pub up there on the canal bank had closed. Not sure how long it's been closed for but seemed a shame in such an attractive and interesting spot in Burnley.
A great spot indeed. Last time I went in a few of Christmas’ ago, I took my out of towner wife in their thinking it was a place to have a nice drink (lived in Leicester for nearly 10 years). Looked very tired inside and half the bar was out of stock, disappointed.

I suppose this was before we made the big time on the PL.

However, I love coming home my town. I don’t care if certain parts are looking run down.

I’m a champion of Burnley, as I tell the people who scoff when I tell them where I’m from.
This user liked this post: Rats_cle

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Good OP Cricketfield

Agree with all that - Burnley has some lovely areas and we are blessed with a lot of great parks for such a small town.

Townley Park is a great place - its vast and has everything you could want in a park. We probably take it for granted a bit living here but I have not been to many nicer park areas than Townley in this country or any other country.

Turfytop
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 449 times

Post by Turfytop » Thu May 24, 2018 10:05 pm

A lot of things to be positive about what's happening in burnley at moment, a lot of areas being transformed, still some areas needing investment hopefully that will come, unfortunately this includes turf moor, lets the town down badly it's looking a dump at moment.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Thu May 24, 2018 10:19 pm

Vino blanco wrote:Three things I noticed when I was back in Burnley for a few games on the Turf. 1, the roads in the town are awful, potholes everywhere, 2, walking round the centre I heard many more foreign languages being spoken than I expected, 3, more people begging for money than I expected, ie people coming up to me asking for 50p or suchlike.
Burnley’s roads (Lancashire CC maintained roads in general actually) are exceptionally bad but the other points are the case almost everywhere.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Been to pretty much every corner of Burnley. But for some reason never been to Scott Park :shock: :shock: so made the effort tonight. Another nice park (not a patch on Thompson, Queens or Towneley though). But in good nick too.

Walked back down the canal, by Inn on The Wharf and onto straight mile. Inn on The Wharf is a tragedy. Could be a great place. Was working in Altrincham today and what they have done to the market there is remarkable. No reason if TIOW isnt a pub it couldn't be a similar food market / night market. Especially the location by the train station etc.

Looks like theyve started some work further round (canal by Burnley wood) but seems a bit daft renovating one old building when there is a perfectly good one a few hundred yards away.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu May 24, 2018 11:03 pm

My best selling illustrated children's picture book is set in Ightenhill Park :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shark-Park-Mar ... 461687531/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Thu May 24, 2018 11:10 pm

Ideally the horrible '70s "planners dream gone wrong" of Charter Walk would disappear and be replaced by something low rise and characterful. Needs big investment though.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 24, 2018 11:50 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:Ideally the horrible '70s "planners dream gone wrong" of Charter Walk would disappear and be replaced by something low rise and characterful. Needs big investment though.
Absolutely.

On said walk back along canal. Only area that looked truly terrible was the roundabout by Gala though.

The monstrosities of Calico, Keirby Hotel, the old Kiwk Save and even the new st peters (wtf were they thinking).

I would Buldoze the lot and stick a Dyche Statue up on The Roundabout as you enter in the style of the old Saddam one :o :o :D :D
Attachments
wo09-Iraq-Saddam.jpg
wo09-Iraq-Saddam.jpg (167.68 KiB) Viewed 4137 times

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Fri May 25, 2018 7:01 am

The "top green" at Scott Park!!! I remember that:-)

The town centre is looking good, the "High Street" suffers from lack of shops as much as any town, St James' St from Cow Lane to Cross Keys should be the next area to improve and there will always be beggars as long as mugs keep giving them money.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Fri May 25, 2018 7:14 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Absolutely.

On said walk back along canal. Only area that looked truly terrible was the roundabout by Gala though.

The monstrosities of Calico, Keirby Hotel, the old Kiwk Save and even the new st peters (wtf were they thinking).

I would Buldoze the lot and stick a Dyche Statue up on The Roundabout as you enter in the style of the old Saddam one :o :o :D :D
Why would you want a statue of Dyche falling over? Has he been drinking too much after celebrating us winning the EPL and Europa league in the same season?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri May 25, 2018 9:44 am

The canalsides have been improving. That is a spectacular walk. Should have boat trips with the buildings brought back to life. Getting there.

Be proud Burnley! Stand tall. Some great buildings in town.
This user liked this post: Turfytop

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1984 times
Has Liked: 2874 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri May 25, 2018 9:58 am

Must say having moved around the country quite a bit over the years; it always impresses me just how well used the parks are in Burnley are. In most towns the parks are fairly empty most of the time. Burnley parks always seem to have more than our fair share of the town making use of the facilities.

Burnley is unrecognizable from twenty years ago and while there is still some way to go I feel like the town is rediscovering its pride. I'm thrilled to bits.... its been a long time coming.

Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Post by Diesel » Fri May 25, 2018 10:10 am

The weather certainly helps.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri May 25, 2018 10:31 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Go for a walk every night after work and today just went local. Ended up going through Thompsons Park. Ive noticed recently theyve been doing a bit of work to it. (Walked through there to rowley onto worsthorne Saturday).

Usually first to criticise the state of Burnley. But got to say well impressed with Thompsons Park. Also Queens Park and Towneley are looking very good. The three of them would definitely be the envy of plenty of other towns. Money well spent and job well done.

Parts of Burnley are now looking very good. (Even the town centre is now looking better after being spruced up too).

Still plenty of work to do in other areas. Hopefully the primark will bring more spending to the town. For all the flack it gets it does the job its there for very well.

Three areas / cracking buildings that could do with investment.

Prestige. Great building going to waste. Not in a bad spot and there must be someone or something worth taking a risk on it. That building would be well sought after elsewhere.

Burnley College (the old one). Stunning building. Part of thompsons park. Another just rotting. Probably needs more spending on it than prestige but its such a shame to see it like it is. (Im actually pretty sure theres squatters in there).

Sparrow. Used to be a great pre match pub. Another historic building being wasted when new craps thrown up. (Same down bottom of St James St where M and S is).

Not sure what any of them could be used for. Theres enough new builds and apartments. Perhaps the town should look to get outside investors to buy into these great buildings that would be miles cheaper than anywhere else in the country. A new market maybe? Current ones shoddy and poorly managed. An afflecks palace type market? That area used to be the old town centre at the turn of the last century. Maybe art galleries or museum?

Overall with the club doing well. The new trains and new routes / lines. Beautiful parks. Revamped town centre. 'Super schools'. Things are looking better than ever for Burnley. :-)
I live outside the town and have to drive in. The problem for me is that as soon as I park a traffic warden is noting down my car number. So I don't go in any more.

Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Post by Diesel » Fri May 25, 2018 10:37 am

Stayingup wrote:I live outside the town and have to drive in. The problem for me is that as soon as I park a traffic warden is noting down my car number. So I don't go in any more.
How dare they?
Last edited by Diesel on Fri May 25, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri May 25, 2018 10:38 am

What's the latest with Burnley Wood? I know a few years ago they knocked down houses as you walk down Oxford Road, and did other bits up too - Clarence Street I think, where Haffners was? Have they stopped, or are they still improving that area?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am

FactualFrank wrote:What's the latest with Burnley Wood? I know a few years ago they knocked down houses as you walk down Oxford Road, and did other bits up too - Clarence Street I think, where Haffners was? Have they stopped, or are they still improving that area?
That area IS polishing a turd.... :? :shock: :D

Still building on there yes. Lots of new houses going up.

Whatever you think of new houses (personally wouldnt buy one at the price they are) i think they do bring the area up. 1 because a lot of people do like them. They look nice and 'shiny' 2 they make older houses more desirable with their character etc.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am

Goobs wrote:Why would you want a statue of Dyche falling over? Has he been drinking too much after celebrating us winning the EPL and Europa league in the same season?
I thought they were erecting it :shock:

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri May 25, 2018 11:37 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:That area IS polishing a turd.... :? :shock: :D

Still building on there yes. Lots of new houses going up.

Whatever you think of new houses (personally wouldnt buy one at the price they are) i think they do bring the area up. 1 because a lot of people do like them. They look nice and 'shiny' 2 they make older houses more desirable with their character etc.
And 3, the kids who were dragged up in that area (not everybody of course, just a decent %), can't afford them and so have to move away, to be replaced by people who have a bit more about them.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri May 25, 2018 11:42 am

FactualFrank wrote:And 3, the kids who were dragged up in that area (not everybody of course, just a decent %), can't afford them and so have to move away, to be replaced by people who have a bit more about them.
Not strictly true as a high percentage of them are DSS tennants.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Fri May 25, 2018 11:47 am

There are still some really sh*t areas in Burnley. Coal Clough Lane is a mess, Piccadilly is rough as rats, Stoops is as bad as ever, Burnley Wood is a slum, Gannow's still a mugging hotspot.

The parks have always been nice, but those areas will never be good.

Lauren12
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by Lauren12 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:46 pm

Thanks Upthebeehole for your usual positive comments on all things Burnley (you do know all towns and cities have some less than salubrious areas don't you?).

Anyway, for what its worth, I (like many others) am incredibly proud of Burnley. I've lived and worked all over the Country and Burnley really is much better than many other places I've been, even though some residents of those towns have said ridiculous things about where I'm from even though they've never been north of Watford. I've always put them straight mind, cannot stand anybody slagging off the area.

I think I'm right in saying, Burnley has more open spaces and parkland than other town in England - by that I mean, the size of open space against the built environment, if you see what I mean - take Towneley for example, its absolutely huge and depending on where you would draw its boundary line, its possibly about a 1/5 of the area of the borough, before you throw in the parks, Rowley, all the green spaces on the outskirts, Crown point, etc, etc.

Oh, and we've got an amazing football club as well.
This user liked this post: Turfytop