Jordan Pickford

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Jordan Pickford

Post by UpTheBeehole » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:40 pm

A good article on England's Number 1
During Jordan Pickford’s Sunderland days he occasionally played in midfield during training ground practice games. The goalkeeper showcased an extraordinarily varied passing range, crowned by the unerringly accurate, long range, side-foot volley which has become his hallmark, he invariably looked the best individual on view.

Impressed onlookers routinely agreed that Pickford possessed the sort of assured left foot leading coaches pay millions of pounds for. “It’s like watching a top midfielder,” said David Moyes, his manager at the time. “Jordan’s got a very big kick but he’s also got a very good passing range, he can go short, he can go long. Distribution is such a big part of goalkeeping these days and his is very good indeed.”

Signed by Everton for £30m last summer, Pickford is also rather useful in central defence. Granted, with the ball at his feet, the 24-year-old often looks a natural-born midfield playmaker but he also seems adept as a classy sweeper.

“I played Jordan at centre half in training so he understood what it was like for defenders when keepers came over the top of them for crosses,” recalled Kevin Ball, Sunderland’s former academy manager. “Jordan loved it. He could easily have been a centre half.

“When he was in goal, the centre halves would split, hoping to take the ball from him but he’d just ping it upfield perfectly. I’d say ‘play it out Jordan, let them do it,’ but he’d reply ‘why? I’m better than them.’ He wasn’t being a pain, just honest. Jordan has confidence in his ability and his opinions. He’ll challenge you, he’ll say ‘I don’t agree’. I like that.”

For his part, Pickford thrived under the exacting taskmaster. “Bally was a great coach who wouldn’t give us any leeway,” said Pickford. “We had to do all the old apprentice jobs, clean the dressing room, put Dubbin on the coaches’ boots.”

Ball recognised that Pickford needed challenges and helped ensure that the boyhood Sunderland supporter from Washington, Tyne and Wear, received them.

Loan stints at Darlington, Alfreton, Burton, Carlisle, Bradford and Preston duly followed with their fans being treated to not only a series of stunning saves but early glimpses of that trademark rocket like sidefoot volley with which Pickford would later make so many goals for Jermain Defoe in Sunderland’s first team.

A prime example of this art can be found in filmed clips of the 75-yard ball Pickford’s left foot dispatched perfectly for Dominic Calvert-Lewin as Everton beat Hajduk Split 2-0 in the Europa League last August. It emphasises that this is a keeper who creates, as well as prevents, goals.

“There’s no place to hide at places like Darlo and Alfreton,” reflected Pickford who was driven to the latter club’s home games by his parents and would sit in the back seat consuming the chicken and pasta lunches his mother had prepared in a tupperware box as they traversed the motorway network. “Playing for Darlington at 17 I learnt so much. You’re up against men, it’s a physical and mental test against big centre halves needing to pay their mortgages.”

The stellar hand-eye co-ordination which would serve him so well was possibly inherited from his father, now a builder but once a gamekeeper on Lord Lambton’s County Durham estate.

By the time he reached Preston, Pickford was a star in waiting. “I’ve never seen anyone kick a ball like Jordan can,” says Chris Kirkland, the former Liverpool goalkeeper who deputised for him at Deepdale. “I could never have kicked a ball as far as Jordan.

“But the biggest thing about him was his command of the penalty area. All goalkeepers make saves but Jordan’s command of the area impressed me. He came out for crosses and high balls with an authority rare for one so young. He was brilliant.”

Such fearlessness was evident as a small boy in Washington. Playing football with his older brother on the family’s asphalt drive the budding goalkeeper threw himself repeatedly onto that unforgiving surface as if it were a soft play area.

A similarly unflinching candour, sets Pickford slightly apart from the crowd in today’s sometimes publicly synthetic football world. After Everton recently beat Newcastle United, Sunderland’s great rivals, he married a triumphant Instagram picture with the unapologetically undiplomatic message: “No better feeling than keeping them quiet.”

If those north-east roots are the ties that bind the life of an England international who remains close to his family and lives with the girlfriend he has dated since they were 14, Pickford’s imposing amalgam of psychological and physical strength threatens to unnerve opponents in Russia. “Jordan has exceptional wrist and forearm strength,” says Adrian Tucker, Pickford’s goalkeeping coach at Sunderland. “He’s got excellent hands.” Not to mention exceptional feet and an exemplary mindset.

For years England have been looking for a No 1 that can take them far in an international tournament. Finally, they may have found someone.
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... n-midfield

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Re: Jordan Pickford

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:51 pm

I know many on here pretend he's crap and want him to fail but I actually think he's very good.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:54 pm

I know many on here are big Burnley fans and think that Nick Pope should be England's No 1.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:56 pm

He’s a good keeper for sure. So is Butland.
Both of em made a lot more mistakes than Pope last season.
This user liked this post: Claretdan

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:56 pm

I don't mind Pickford I just think that sometimes he tries to be a little to showy rather than just doing things simply.

He is probably better to watch than Pope but he doesn't do the basics as well IMO

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Pickford is good until it comes to crosses
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:58 pm

He doesn't command his area as the article states. He flaps and stays on his line.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:10 pm

He sounds perfect. How many goals has he conceded in the last couple of seasons?

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:14 pm

I like Pickford but he is first and foremost the Goalkeeper and I fear there won’t be much mention in the media of his left foot volley pass if he drops one at the strikers feet.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:15 pm

I would say that Butland is our number 1 and will be between the sticks in the World Cup
This user liked this post: moaninclaret

D8BFC
Been Liked: 91 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by D8BFC » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:26 pm

mkmel wrote:I would say that Butland is our number 1 and will be between the sticks in the World Cup
Its never going to be Pope unfortunately, and out of the other 2 Butland is less likely to make a cock up - so he would start for me.

It'll be Pickford though. He's just so so weak on crosses.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:32 pm

He's better than Butland, but I'm not sure he's better to be a guaranteed No 1 ahead of Pope.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:34 pm

I'd go with Butland also,i only remember the gaffe he made at Leicester last season,and the defenders in front of him didn't exactly inspire confidence.

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:36 pm

I must admit I haven't seen Pickford that much but from what I've seen I think Popey and Butland are both better.

Seems to me that all you need to do is keep running at him (like our Ash) until you're five yards away then smash it into the net while he closes his eyes - like a playground goal.

Or attack your header (like our Chris) even though you're only four yards from the goal-line while he stands on it.

It worked for us

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Say Tom Heaton didn't exist. Would there be anyone on this board who would be happy for Pope to be sold to Liverpool and us to get Pickford or Butland.

I wouldn't because over the course of a season the stats don't lie.

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:44 pm

Butland is the better keeper, pope should be number 2, Pickford will be woeful if our opposition get corners or set pieces, he will show his weakness then because he cant and wont command his area.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:33 pm

Too short

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:22 pm

How often does that volley pass go out for a throw in?

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 am

going down the wrong route when we're choosing goalkeepers on how good their passing is rather than how good their actual goalkeeping is.

in those terms, pope is better than butland who is better than pickford.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 am

quoonbeatz wrote:going down the wrong route when we're choosing goalkeepers on how good their passing is rather than how good their actual goalkeeping is.
Pep Guardiola would probably disagree.

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:27 am

Southgate see's passing ability as a key requirement for the way he's setup. If it was purely down to keeping the ball out of the net then the stats speak for themselves and Pope would be starting. Pickford isn't great off his line and I think his command of the box is nowhere near as dominant as Pope's. There isn't much between any of the three keepers but Pickford's passing ability is what has given him the starting berth ahead of the other two.

UpTheBeehole
Been Liked: 1157 times
Has Liked: 496 times

Post by UpTheBeehole » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:32 am

Spijed wrote:Pep Guardiola would probably disagree.
As it is, Ederson was excellent at goalkeeping last season

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:40 am

Am I missing something with this chat about keepers' distribution? For all the hours spent analysing it and the talk of one keeper being outstanding and another awful, they mostly seem to do the same sort of thing.

Ederson will pass it short to Stones because it's easy. Pickford will occasionally ping one to a wing back, maybe once or twice a game. That's about it. Pope gets loads of stick on here about his passing when from what I see every keeper we have tends to roll it to Tarks if nobody is closing down but 95% of the time, wallop it up the pitch. Is it really that much of a game-changer?

I'm wary of sounding like a hard Brexit footy dinosaur but I'd rather we choose the one who's best at goalkeeping. For what it's worth I'm happy to go with Pickford or Pope, I think both are ahead of Butland right now.
These 3 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret quoonbeatz Bordeauxclaret

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:43 am

Though obviously I don't want him to have a shocker, but it would be interesting to see if Southgate went straight to Butland if Pickford fluffed his lines.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:18 am

Spijed wrote:Pep Guardiola would probably disagree.
pep guardiola manages a team who are streets ahead of the rest of the league. city dominate almost every team in our league and a lot of european teams.

he needs a sweeper who can keep goal rather than a keeper who can play football. as it is, he's got a very good goalkeeper who can play football. pretty much one of a kind.

england are very much not manchester city.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 am

Said it loads of times that people (including a few on this board) bang on about Pope`s poor distribution yet I have very rarely seen him miss kick a ball and he has not cost Burnley a goal through poor kicking - whereas Butland, Pickford and plenty of other keepers did cost goals last year through poor kicking.

So he cannot ping it 75 yards on to a six pence like Ederson or occasionally when Pickford does that half volley kick...really how important is that to a club with our style of play ? To Man City playing Harlem Globetrotter football its important - not to us.

The biggest advantage Pope has over Butland and Pickford (and many other keepers in the Premier League) is the way he commands his area, comes out for crosses and catches the ball. It`s been massive for Burnley this season - the number of times teams have been trying to get an equaliser or winner at the end of a game and start going directly and Pope has come out and caught a ball. When you are punching it like other keepers then most of the time you are giving back possession and the ball is coming straight back into the box.

Pope, Butland and Pickford are all excellent shop stoppers - but I think Butland has lost a bit of confidence this season with the relegation and making a few mistakes. Plus he must have thought he was a shoe in for the England number one spot before he got the bad injury.

I am guessing Southgate has gone for Pickford because international football is not the same as the Premier League and there are far less crosses thrown into the area. Plus Southgate wants to play from the back in a certain way and Pickford does look more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:33 am

NottsClaret wrote:Am I missing something with this chat about keepers' distribution? For all the hours spent analysing it and the talk of one keeper being outstanding and another awful, they mostly seem to do the same sort of thing.

Ederson will pass it short to Stones because it's easy. Pickford will occasionally ping one to a wing back, maybe once or twice a game. That's about it. Pope gets loads of stick on here about his passing when from what I see every keeper we have tends to roll it to Tarks if nobody is closing down but 95% of the time, wallop it up the pitch. Is it really that much of a game-changer?

I'm wary of sounding like a hard Brexit footy dinosaur but I'd rather we choose the one who's best at goalkeeping. For what it's worth I'm happy to go with Pickford or Pope, I think both are ahead of Butland right now.
Yes it actually is. When you come up against top class opposition you simply can’t give possession away cheaply. At aburnley we have Barnes/Vokes who are good in the air and strong. England don’t. Kane likes the ball into his feet. With Rashford/Lingard/Sterling/Vardy in and around him.

The distribution thing can sound a nothing subject a bit petty at times. But it’s a pretty big part of football and a crucial way at times to start attacks. We hear about teams who defend from the front. Some attack from the back.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Based upon his performance against us last season I would say that Pickford is the lesser of the 3 Selected for England. I thought his positioning was poor for our goals and this was also picked up by BBC and Sky comments after the game. Pope may struggle with experience at that level.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:22 pm

NottsClaret wrote:Am I missing something with this chat about keepers' distribution? For all the hours spent analysing it and the talk of one keeper being outstanding and another awful, they mostly seem to do the same sort of thing.

Ederson's performance at Turf Moor sums up the modern goalkeeping requirements. He was superb (didn't he get Man of the Match?).

His passing was top notch, even when we put him under pressure, and he made some very good saves.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Hipper wrote:Ederson's performance at Turf Moor sums up the modern goalkeeping requirements. He was superb (didn't he get Man of the Match?).

His passing was top notch, even when we put him under pressure, and he made some very good saves.
He was excellent, that save from Lennon was the save of the season. I don't doubt he passed it to a full back nice and neatly also, it just doesn't stick in the memory too much.

The pass I do remember from Ederson is that one he tried under pressure against Liverpool in the league which gave away the decisive goal and ended their unbeaten run. I totally agree, he's a great keeper but if Pope had made such a basic kicking error we'd still be bitching about it now. If you're winning 4 or 5 every week there's a bigger margin for error than if you're at Burnley and trying to close out a 1-0.