A Glorious Chapter of Burnley's visit to Mauritius

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

A Glorious Chapter of Burnley's visit to Mauritius

Post by davemanu2000 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:51 am

I would wish to make acquaintance of Burnley's visit to Mauritius in 1954 i.e some 64 years ago . May be the fans mostly from the younger generation are not aware of it .Burnley pioneered English football in the Indian Ocean islands .Previously nobody was aware of English clubs .
They played six matches from 13 May to 30 May ,1954 and won all of them . They scored 36 goals and only 2 against .All matches were played at King George V Stadium which is located in the town of Curepipe . Prior to their landing to Mauritius the stadium was enlarged to accommodate 22,000 spectators . Needless to say all the six matches were played before a packed stadium .Some spectators took the precaution to come at least three hours before the time the match was scheduled .
Mauritians were taken aback as they had never watched such games of such high intensity .The club became very popular and the names of players were a household word . Up to now names of some players are still remembered namely Jimmy Adamson who was the Captain ,,Cummings Tommy,Mc Ilroy jimmy ,Bill Holden ,Leslie Shannon , Colin Madonald (who became an international keeper for England which beat Russia by 5-0 in Wembley).and others .
The President of the club was N.Grimshaw ,Chairman W.Hopkinson ,and members Clegg ,kay ,Baron ,Lord ,Pickard ,and Kay .The manager was Frank Hill ,Secretary Henry Smith and trainer Doogall .
The names of accompanying players were : Desmond Thompson ,Jock Aird ,Jock Winton ,Bennion jack ,Billy Gray .David Cargill ,Bill Souther ,Bobby Seith ,Jimmy Appleby ,roy Stevenson and some others whom I have mentioned above .
the name of Burnley is immortal and their visit to our small island memorable .
These 6 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret elwaclaret Claret HunterST_BFC SalouClaret DCWat

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Re: A Glorious Chapter of Burnley's visit to Mauritius

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:15 am

I did not know that at all. Perhaps we should return worth our new heroes.

Thanks Davemanu. Best wishes to you and your fellows.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 600 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:27 am

I say we should have early season tour of Mauritius next year, whose with me?

davemanu2000

Post by davemanu2000 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Some five years ago with the consent of an important official ,i had started negotiations in all secrecy the intended visit of Burnley to MAURITIUS . THE MAURITIUS FOOTBALL ASSOCIATION HAD ALREADY GIVEN ITS CONSENT .i had contacted Air Mauritius for a rebate tariff . Further I had contacted the Long Beach Hotel for their stay .
UNFORTUNATELY there was no follow up and the matter fizzled .Should I receive a positive response from officials of Burnley ,I may start negotiations with Mauritian parties .
These 2 users liked this post: Claret Rodleydave

oldun
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by oldun » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:48 pm

Following the Mauritius games a number of young ladies came to Burnley to be hospital nurses. I wonder if any of them stayed!
This user liked this post: davemanu2000

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Jimmy McIlroy is on record as saying that trip to Mauritius and Madagascar was the most enjoyable of all the football tours he made throughout his career.

In fact I believe he wrote a personal letter at the time to Bhurdwaz Mungur thanking him for the hospitality to himself and all the players and staff.

Perhaps davemanu can confirm that letter remains one of his most treasured possessions.

MK-Claret
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by MK-Claret » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:31 pm

I am lead to believe my Grandad on my father's side played in the Mauritius side, that played Burnley. And also he played against an England touring side of that decade..

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:34 pm

Truly a memorable tour for all. Rare moments.

davemanu2000

Post by davemanu2000 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:43 pm

I did not receive any letter from MacIlroy .He is a legend and his name is very popular in our island . I would love to receive him here and present him to the media for a press conference . He should be appointed as an ambassador of legendary and prestigious one and only BURNLEY .
i failed to mention the result of their match against Madagascar :
Madagascar 1- 13 Burnley .Burnley remains the club which brought English football to the Indian Ocean islands .

antonybfc

Post by antonybfc » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:48 pm

Message to Davemanu200

I'm visiting the lovely island of Mauritius next Thursday for a 2 week holiday - my son and I will be proudly wearing the claret and blue colours!

I was wondering what are the top 5 'must do' things on the island? It would be great to hear from a local from the island rather than a touristy packaged trip!

It would be good to hear from you - email me at to keep the chat off the message board

Cheers

MOD: Email address has been removed due to security issues.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:53 pm

The programme for the series of games

This user liked this post: SalouClaret

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:15 pm

Antonybfc # 10

Just sent some info to you

paulus the woodgnome
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 260 times

Post by paulus the woodgnome » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:03 am

Royboyclaret wrote:I believe he wrote a personal letter at the time to Bhurdwaz Mungur thanking him for the hospitality to himself and all the players and staff.

Perhaps davemanu can confirm that letter remains one of his most treasured possessions.
That's a bit naughty Royboy

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:Antonybfc # 10

Just sent some info to you
ColburnClaret and I are on Mauritius, for a family wedding, next year. As email links are down currently any chance you could pop the info up on here? Cheers, either way.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:36 am

piston broke wrote:ColburnClaret and I are on Mauritius, for a family wedding, next year. As email links are down currently any chance you could pop the info up on here? Cheers, either way.
Sorry I can't post details on here without first seeking consent.
Is there a way I can contact you?
This is an open forum (and not secure) so I hope you understand.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:32 am

HunterST_BFC wrote:Sorry I can't post details on here without first seeking consent.
Is there a way I can contact you?
This is an open forum (and not secure) so I hope you understand.
No problem but other than email, no. We’ll be sound. I’ll google it but would prefer personal advice.

Mooey

Post by Mooey » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:44 pm

Just watching Burnley on motd and it got me thinking about when they played in Mauritius my uncle played against them and he still has some type of paper cutting with it on. I ll see if I can get hold of it and I ll post it on this thread.