U18/U23s Recruitment

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
OssyClaret
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 17 times

U18/U23s Recruitment

Post by OssyClaret » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm

The recent improvements in youth set up, investment and facilities will obviously take time to improve the quality of player at the club and as England u19s have just announced their latest squad for the Euros it got me thinking about our recruitment into younger age groups.

With it becoming a huge ask for our young players to get into our first team giving our current strength, would it give us more of a chance of developing a first team player if we were signing and developing the very best talent?

I’ve read about Nicky Law being active in bringing new young players in, do we know what sort of level they have been playing at?

Is it unrealistic to start cherry picking the very best? The clubs some of England’s u19s are at would suggest we might be an attractive proposition for some given our current standing...

Goalkeepers: Ellery Balcombe (Brentford), Jamie Cumming (Chelsea)

Defenders: Trevoh Chalobah (Ipswich Town, on loan from Chelsea), Nathan Ferguson (West Bromwich Albion), Ed Francis (Almere City, on loan from Manchester City), Tariq Lamptey (Chelsea), Dujon Sterling (Coventry City, on loan from Chelsea), Japhet Tanganga (Tottenham Hotspur)

Midfielders: Tom Bayliss (Coventry City), Elliot Embleton (Sunderland), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Nya Kirby (Crystal Palace), Adam Lewis (Liverpool), Max Sanders (Brighton & Hove Albion), Marcus Tavernier (Middlesbrough), Kelland Watts (Newcastle United)

Forwards: Ben Brereton (Nottingham Forest), Niall Ennis (Wolverhampton Wanderers), George Hirst (OH Leuven), Ben Morris (Ipswich Town)

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3783 times
Has Liked: 1069 times

Re: U18/U23s Recruitment

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm

On that list i'd have Brereton and Bayliss, sign them now and leave them on loan for the season.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 1838 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:51 pm

I never understand the signing of players then loaning them out as Chelsea do.It just stops others buying them and it doesn't always benefit the players signed

OssyClaret

Post by OssyClaret » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:I never understand the signing of players then loaning them out as Chelsea do.It just stops others buying them and it doesn't always benefit the players signed
That might be the point. Chelsea don't do bad at signing young players that turn into World Class stars do they, whether it be there or elsewhere?

Lukaku, De Bruyne, Christensen, Matic, Courtois, Hazard just off the top of my head. Probably £750m of talent signed at the time for about 70m.

I'd like to think that we could at the very least turn a profit out of targeting our recruitment at young top level talent. Why not English too given our success in the younger age categories.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 1838 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Unfortunately we dont have the rich mans deep pockets to pay £20m for potential.If we buy players they have to make an immediate difference to our first teams sucess.
Ginelly.Long.Green and Ageyi were all recruited as players we could develop and cash in on.That to date has not been the case and we are playing catch up.
Though I do think we should have entered the U23 cup.
Lesser teams seemed to enter sides with far less resources than we have.This contest can only help develop our U23 team

OssyClaret

Post by OssyClaret » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:Unfortunately we dont have the rich mans deep pockets to pay £20m for potential.If we buy players they have to make an immediate difference to our first teams sucess.
Ginelly.Long.Green and Ageyi were all recruited as players we could develop and cash in on.That to date has not been the case and we are playing catch up.
Lesser teams seemed to enter sides with far less resources than we have.This contest can only help develop our U23 team
Do they have to make an immediate impact though? Probably our two most saleable players didn’t when they arrived. Not advocating splashing 20m on the next best thing from Ajax but a couple of million here and there to harvest some of the talent in the squad above can’t be too much of a risk can it?

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2611 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:49 pm

"......Though I do think we should have entered the U23 cup......"

Woodley --are you sure that we have not entered it this coming season?
We were in it last season and went out at the Group Stage when we finished third behind Newcastle and Swansea, havinf player 6 matches in the competition. Colchester finished bottom of our Group.
We went straight into the Group stages last season and I assume that we will do the same this coming season, although we had to play qualifying matches the season before.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:Unfortunately we dont have the rich mans deep pockets to pay £20m for potential.If we buy players they have to make an immediate difference to our first teams sucess.
Our U23 side just lost against Colne, yes Colne, let that sink in. We're clearly miles behind, it seemed we were heading in the right direction by bringing in players like Ginelly, Smith, Agyei, Dunne, Birch, Hendrie etc but so far it's produced zilch and have any of them really progressed since signing? half of that list have left for £0.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32058 times
Has Liked: 5241 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:Though I do think we should have entered the U23 cup.
We’ve entered the competition ever since it came into being in 2012/13. Now, as a Cat 2 club, we go straight into the group stage but previously had to play qualifiers. Last season we also entered the Lancashire Senior Cup.

As Ashington posted, we were third behind Newcastle and Swansea but should probably have gone through. In the competition’s first season it was a straight knock out andwe lost 3-2 v Man City in the semi-final.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 pm

KRBFC wrote:Our U23 side just lost against Colne, yes Colne, let that sink in. We're clearly miles behind, it seemed we were heading in the right direction by bringing in players like Ginelly, Smith, Agyei, Dunne, Birch, Hendrie etc but so far it's produced zilch and have any of them really progressed since signing? half of that list have left for £0.
Sometimes if you know nothing you are better off saying nothing. Otherwise you make yourself look pretty damn stupid as per the post I’ve quoted.

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:05 pm

Not sounding to be smart we might need to improve a lot for the under 23 cup carnt even beat colne

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Sometimes if you know nothing you are better off saying nothing. Otherwise you make yourself look pretty damn stupid as per the post I’ve quoted.
I was already typing a response before I saw your post, I didn't claim to know anything, you have to ask questions though when so far it's produced nothing but poor results. I'm sure you're better equipped at judging the progress than I am, stop being arsey for the sake of it.

aggi
Been Liked: 2104 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:I never understand the signing of players then loaning them out as Chelsea do.It just stops others buying them and it doesn't always benefit the players signed
It's a business model for Chelsea. They don't expect many, if any, of those players to contribute significantly to the first team but they get loan fees and transfer fees in excess of the costs of running it.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:41 pm

aggi wrote:It's a business model for Chelsea. They don't expect many, if any, of those players to contribute significantly to the first team but they get loan fees and transfer fees in excess of the costs of running it.
They must make an absolute fortune, a secondary business for Roman.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 759 times
Has Liked: 497 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:57 pm

It's been suggested that Chelsea may change their strategy under their latest manager..if he's still there :D

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:28 pm

Chelsea's academy is one of the most profitable in England because of the loan fees they get and sell ons for certain players. And if they do happen to get one through they consider good enough to play in their first team, that's a massive bonus on top.