Will we throw one in on Thursday?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Dyched
Been Liked: 1926 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Re: Will we throw one in on Thursday?

Post by Dyched » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:39 pm

houseboy wrote:We didn't get relegated in 1970.
We didn’t in 2004 either :lol: Plus it was our 4th straight year in the championship. So not a promoted team :lol:

He’s just making it up houseboy

houseboy
Been Liked: 2242 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Dyched wrote:We didn’t in 2004 either :lol: Plus it was our 4th straight year in the championship. So not a promoted team :lol:

He’s just making it up houseboy
Some people eh? It was my 18th in June of '72 and our relegation kinda took the edge off that. I had never known anything but 1st Division football and it devastated me. Had I known what was to come over the next few years it would have felt a whole lot worse.

neilthedon
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by neilthedon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi Lads,
Well. The First Leg went well , eh ? met a few of your bunch before the Pittodrie game. Fine lot , I must say.

Had a good old blether with Tom & Jackie from Todmorden in the Kings Bar on King street and arranged to meet up in Burnley again thid Thursday for a pre match aperitif. All good. Seems that after we left around 7pm to get to match some less clever Burnley-ites started throwing bottles around . Anyone else hear about this ?

The Game. My season ticket seat is right next to the Away section Fence. So I was well appraise of the banter to and fro. Seemed good humoured as well. for the life of me couldn`t make out that 5 minute repetitive chant your lot went off on one on. Met a Mini Bus load of Burnley fans next day at a Services on way back down road who told me it was " Longside burnley ".....Well, thick accent that . !! We are usually the ones accused of being too broad !!

The Game. Seems the overall impression from your side is that you controlled it. Never in doubt, soft penalty. Oooh those Dons were a bit rough . We`ll stroll it at Turf Moor. They`re only 1st or 2nd division standard..............Aye ok. Couple more of you ( including thon beezer called Campbell ) have been a bit more respectful. We did ok in first half. Ran out of puff in Second. didn`t take our chances. And yes, having 5 new players and half the side being young. We are not the team we were 2 years ago. Heck, maybe we are 1st Division standard ?!!

Ah but wait. The dons are on a hiding to nothing here now. If we win , you threw it . Aye ? Hmmmmm.

Anyway. It was great to meet your lot last Thursday. And I think we were decent hosts. hope you all enjoyed it.

Looking forward to getting into Burnley Town on Thursday and getting to do the all day drinking , scoofing the plastic football around in the Square all that stuff. And looking forward to making a bit of a noise at Turf Moor. Hope it`s a good game. And may the best team win. etc. Lets hope the referee isn`t an arse. Hate to win it with a dodgy penalty .

COYR.
These 2 users liked this post: mickleoverclaret Funkydrummer

boatman
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by boatman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:07 pm

Aberdeen fan here. I thought I’d come on here so see how excitement is building for Thursday’s game. I guess not much!? I thought you’d be buzzing with excitement with being involved in Europe after such a long break but I suppose money talks and the Premier League is where it’s at.

I don’t think there’s much optimism from Aberdeen fans for this leg other than leaving with our pride intact but you never know. If your players and fans don’t turn up then who knows. Maybe you should put out your under 17s 

Anyway, best of luck for the season whatever competition it’s in but for real if you don’t want to be in this one then boycott Thursday and let the Dons through.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi you two. Don't take too much notice of some on here, they can't see beyond the PL and all it's money. Personally I want us to play our full strength side and give you lot a damn good thrashing ( ;) ) and then go on to glory and ..... oh sorry got a bit carried away there. Anyway I want us to do as well as we possibly can in this competition and if that means a risk to our beloved PL status then so be it.

Have a great time in Burnley and I hope the locals are as friendly as you lot were with us. We don't want a repeat of the Battle of Turf Moor back in the 70s when Celtic came in the AS cup. That was fun, I believe there was a game of football on that night as well.

ecc
Been Liked: 1443 times
Has Liked: 1290 times

Post by ecc » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:26 pm

What is the point in aiming to play in Europe and then not taking it seriously?

I will be very surprised if SD fields weakened sides in this competition. Surprised and disappointed.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:29 pm

"Hate to win it with a dodgy penalty"

I think you will find that's the last thing likely to happen to us( not had a penalty awarded to us since April 2017). I'm guessing you weren't thinking that around 9.25 last Thursday. Surely not. Nobody wants to win with a dodgy penalty ever!!!

boatman

Post by boatman » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks Houseboy. I appreciate that not everyone in each support base has the same views. I certainly don't agree with Aberdeen fans all the time (particularly on message boards like these - on a bad day I'll take the opinion that Aberdeen fans are one of my least favourite groups of people)

Realistically you should have a good chance of getting to the latter stages..if you can overcome the mighty Dons! The excitement will build as soon as you get someone of some pedigree once the Champs League third placers start dropping in.

I won't make it down on Thursday because I couldn't get off work. Whatever the result I hope there is no violence. I'm all for sticking those that want to fight into a room and letting them get on with it while the rest of us enjoy the football.
This user liked this post: houseboy

jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:36 pm

Strongest team should start Thurs
Then all rested from meaningless game Sunday

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:43 pm

'back in the 70's when Celtic came in the AS cup... that was fun'

I take it you were there that night. Like something out of the Dark Ages. Neanderthals everywhere you looked. I was on the Longside that night and glad to escape it onto the pitch just after we scored. Didn't see the rest of the game and just wanted to get as far away from Turf Moor as possible. It's been done to death on this site but still lingers in the memories of people who were there like me and presumably you too.

neilthedon
Been Liked: 6 times

Post by neilthedon » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:47 pm

As those of you who came to Aberdeen already know. NEVER compare us to the two cheeks of the same arse from Glasgow.

Standfree.

ARCHIE..MAC..PHERSON
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by ARCHIE..MAC..PHERSON » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:02 pm

ABERDEEN have nothing to fear at turf moor .Burnley are HOOFBALL merchants rarely see them stringing two passes together thats how they got points away from home in the premier league . HOOFED UP FRONT then a lucky break . the DONS WILL BE READY FOR THOSE ANTI FOOTBALL TACTICS.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:23 pm

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... pass_move/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 3 users liked this post: simonclaret South West Claret. Funkydrummer

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:41 pm

Well Mr.Andrews what did you think of that (P63) :D

ARCHIE..MAC..PHERSON

Post by ARCHIE..MAC..PHERSON » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBIGyW2sn0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ARCHIE..MAC..PHERSON

Post by ARCHIE..MAC..PHERSON » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:33 pm

After the game legendary Real coach Alfredo Di Stéfano conceded the better team had won and commented; "Aberdeen have what money can't buy; a soul, a team spirit built in a family tradition."

Diesel
Been Liked: 1228 times
Has Liked: 391 times

Post by Diesel » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:40 pm

ARCHIE..MAC..PHERSON wrote:ABERDEEN have nothing to fear at turf moor .Burnley are HOOFBALL merchants rarely see them stringing two passes together thats how they got points away from home in the premier league . HOOFED UP FRONT then a lucky break . the DONS WILL BE READY FOR THOSE ANTI FOOTBALL TACTICS.
MuffledCough, Cough, splutter, Scottish Prick, cough, MuffledCough, prick, splutter, Cough, Cough.

https://youtu.be/2r6sXRc_BgE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:07 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:This is surely nonsense?
Only just seen this.

It is the absolute truth.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 668 times
Has Liked: 2056 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 pm

tybfc wrote:Only just seen this.

Did they go into any detail? Hopefully the sentiment isn't shared by Dyche and the team

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:43 pm

If this is the case, it’s a seriously unguarded opinion for a Board Member to make to a prominent fan. I really hope this isn’t an opinion endorse by the Management Team.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3607 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:03 pm

Very, very worrying to hear.

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:22 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:Did they go into any detail? Hopefully the sentiment isn't shared by Dyche and the team
Yes.

Too many games in too short a time possibly in Instanbul and places further afar on a Thursday and then playing Premier League on a Sunday.

He wanted us to concentrate on the Premier League alone where the money is.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:04 am

Silkyskills1 wrote:'back in the 70's when Celtic came in the AS cup... that was fun'

I take it you were there that night. Like something out of the Dark Ages. Neanderthals everywhere you looked. I was on the Longside that night and glad to escape it onto the pitch just after we scored. Didn't see the rest of the game and just wanted to get as far away from Turf Moor as possible. It's been done to death on this site but still lingers in the memories of people who were there like me and presumably you too.
Bloody nightmare mate. I do have one fond memory though of a huge bearded Celtic fan with a handful of others in the home section, he was (I kid you not) carrying a bottle of whiskey, swigging it, going in for a fight, coming out covered in blood, another swig etc. etc. He was relentless. Wound up in the Bee Hole talking to some older Celts who said they had never seen anything like it, even against Rangers. I still blame other fans for a lot of that, there were hundreds of people on the Longside I'd never seen before at the Turf and my guess is they'd just come for the fight. Two good results on the pitch though eh?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:07 am

ARCHIE..MAC..PHERSON wrote:ABERDEEN have nothing to fear at turf moor .Burnley are HOOFBALL merchants rarely see them stringing two passes together thats how they got points away from home in the premier league . HOOFED UP FRONT then a lucky break . the DONS WILL BE READY FOR THOSE ANTI FOOTBALL TACTICS.
Take a quick look at the away goal at Everton that won us the game. 25 passes and into the net. Even MOtD were purring about it and they don't like us.

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:04 am

I think Aberdeen at home is a big test but I'm sure we'll be playing the same team (or a variation of our 'strongest' team) as this match is so much more representative of a proper game compared to Sunday's friendly.
IF we get through, I'd imagine we will feel a weakened team in Turkey - and to be honest I think that would be right. The opener at Southampton is more important.

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 668 times
Has Liked: 2056 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:51 am

tybfc wrote:Yes.

Too many games in too short a time possibly in Instanbul and places further afar on a Thursday and then playing Premier League on a Sunday.

He wanted us to concentrate on the Premier League alone where the money is.
Thanks, although slightly depressing to hear.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:56 am

neilthedon wrote: Seems that after we left around 7pm to get to match some less clever Burnley-ites started throwing bottles around . Anyone else hear about this ?

COYR.
Yep. Commented to the Aberdeen fan who ran our apartment how great everything went. Great banter between both sets of fans and no trouble. HE told us two lads who were staying at the same place as us had been arrested for bottling Aberdeen fans :roll: :roll: :roll: Pathetic.

Overall though was great. Meeting up with a few of your lot this Wednesday. Great set of lads like all we met.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:58 am

houseboy wrote:Hi you two. Don't take too much notice of some on here, they can't see beyond the PL and all it's money. Personally I want us to play our full strength side and give you lot a damn good thrashing ( ;) ) and then go on to glory and ..... oh sorry got a bit carried away there. Anyway I want us to do as well as we possibly can in this competition and if that means a risk to our beloved PL status then so be it.

Have a great time in Burnley and I hope the locals are as friendly as you lot were with us. We don't want a repeat of the Battle of Turf Moor back in the 70s when Celtic came in the AS cup. That was fun, I believe there was a game of football on that night as well.
100% with you.

I would take a run to the latter stages of this and finish 17th any day.

Hell I would take the league cup and 17th!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:06 pm

tybfc wrote:I was talking to one of our senior directors at Manchester airport before travelling to Aberdeen and he was desperate for us to get knocked out.
I hope you nutted him.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:11 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:Thanks, although slightly depressing to hear.
Pathetic but as i expected. Hence the thread. Disappointing to say the least.
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:33 pm

My brother and his son both work for the FA and deal with all the Premier League clubs on a daily basis.

They have said that all the clubs strive for that Europa League spot but when they get there don't really want to play in it as the fixture list is too exhausting.

Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday matches with a small squad.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:45 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:100% with you.

I would take a run to the latter stages of this and finish 17th any day.

Hell I would take the league cup and 17th!
Amen to that. I know many disagree with me but what's the point of it all if all you want is PL survival. I think it would become a tad boring if that is all we ever aspired to.

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:59 pm

houseboy wrote:Amen to that. I know many disagree with me but what's the point of it all if all you want is PL survival. I think it would become a tad boring if that is all we ever aspired to.
I agree absolutely. What are the highspots of watching Burnley? 1982-83 cup runs, Orient match (but not the season leading up to it!), York away 4th division champions, Jimmy Mullen's Claret & Blue Army at Derby, 1-0 Cup win at Derby, 2 Wembley playoff wins, Scunthorpe away on the big screen, League Cup run under Coyle, 2 promotions to Premier League. There may be others. But what those all have in common is that none of them involve mid-table league finishes.

If Premier League football is all that matters, I can watch that on Sky. Frankly, it's not the opponents that I come to watch - it's Burnley. And ideally, it's Burnley winning things. If we're going to give up any hope of ever winning things, and if we're going to try our best to ensure that none of the excitements listed above can happen again, then what's the point?

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:03 pm

Money!

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:36 pm

tybfc wrote:Money!
Exactly. And there's no fun in sitting watching someone else make money.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:42 pm

Last season was pretty good fun.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:25 pm

dsr wrote:I agree absolutely. What are the highspots of watching Burnley? 1982-83 cup runs, Orient match (but not the season leading up to it!), York away 4th division champions, Jimmy Mullen's Claret & Blue Army at Derby, 1-0 Cup win at Derby, 2 Wembley playoff wins, Scunthorpe away on the big screen, League Cup run under Coyle, 2 promotions to Premier League. There may be others. But what those all have in common is that none of them involve mid-table league finishes.

If Premier League football is all that matters, I can watch that on Sky. Frankly, it's not the opponents that I come to watch - it's Burnley. And ideally, it's Burnley winning things. If we're going to give up any hope of ever winning things, and if we're going to try our best to ensure that none of the excitements listed above can happen again, then what's the point?
It's great to see that there are some on here who agree with me. Where indeed is the excitement of turning up to watch your club making money?

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:37 pm

tybfc wrote:Money!
As I have said in a previous post and as DSR has said in essence, when I started watching Burnley all those years ago it wasn't to stand (at that point) and encourage them to have an ever growing bank balance. If all the board want (and I'm certain they don't) is to continue with the clubs ever-growing bank balance then I think I'd give up.
I don't want relegation but I'm not afraid of it. If it happened the club has been well run and financially it wouldn't be the disaster that it has been for some clubs.
I want us to pull out all the stops in every game we play, including the FA and League cups as well as the Europa. If it means a tough season in the league so what, life is nothing without risks.
When I hear people say the most important thing is PL survival I can't help thinking they have lost sight of the fact that football is a SPORT. Of course it has to be run as a business these days as well but it is a sport first. If the board ever said all they cared about was the PL money I'd go down the road and watch Stanley, and that is coming from someone who first set foot on the Turf 50 years ago this year and supported them before that as a young kid.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:40 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Last season was pretty good fun.
Absolutely, without a doubt. But would it be fun EVERY year if year after year we gave up on all else just to keep finishing 7th? It would all get a bit pointless don't you think?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:56 pm

I suspect that despite saying all the right things Dyche isn't too bothered about the Europa league. After all the effort to finish 7th and excitement over the summer I get a horrible feeling it's going to end up a real damp squib.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

boatman

Post by boatman » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:58 pm

tybfc wrote:Yes.
This was us in 2015: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33714222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And they knocked us out! So I can understand the position.

I suppose the money from this means a lot more to a club in SPFL.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:37 pm

I dreamed last night Aberdeen went 1 up after 6 minutes and after 33 minutes were ahead 2-1. Lindegaard having a 'mare. Don't know how it finished but we'd have to score twice from that position which seems unlikely for us.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Oh well, they didn't throw one in.

You must be disappointed.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:47 pm

Have you considered my friend request on FB yet sid,i sent you a love letter,you wont be asking for a blow job next will you?