Burnley v Watford - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Re: Burnley v Watford - Player Ratings

Post by Top Claret » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:07 pm

Milltown1882 wrote:The most ridiculous statement anyone has ever made on a football forum ever. Everton finished 8th....

Only Burnley fans can get excited over Europe then want to be out of it ASAP after one poor performance. Get a grip.
Everton struggled early doors. It was only due to Everton having a big squad that they kicked on in the new year.

We have not got the depth and quality to sustain a European campaign. The lads were dead on their feet 2nd half, and God knows what state they will be in next Sunday after a trip to Greece then an away game in London.

Not a case of getting a grip, it's a case of reality.

Tuddybfc
Been Liked: 61 times
Has Liked: 66 times

Post by Tuddybfc » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Hart 7

Lowton 5
Tarky 6
Mee 5
Ward 6

Lennon 5
Westwood 5
Cork 6
Hendrick 6
JBG 6

Wood 5

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Top Claret wrote:Everton struggled early doors. It was only due to Everton having a big squad that they kicked on in the new year.

We have not got the depth and quality to sustain a European campaign. The lads were dead on their feet 2nd half, and God knows what state they will be in next Sunday after a trip to Greece then an away game in London.

Who takes the blame for our lack of squad depth? We had 4 months to plan for this, we weren't suddenly dumped into the Europa League 3 weeks ago.
These 3 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 Milltown1882 winsomeyen

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Top Claret wrote:Everton struggled early doors. It was only due to Everton having a big squad that they kicked on in the new year.

Not really only 4 played both games
This user liked this post: Milltown1882

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 854 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Imagine we had a whole summer to sign players to cover the lack of squad depth..
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:14 pm

KRBFC wrote:Who takes the blame for our lack of squad depth? We had 4 months to plan for this, we weren't suddenly dumped into the Europa League 3 weeks ago.
I would say 7 months we were safe at xmas

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Hart 6
Lowton 5 awful ball for the 3rd goal
Tarks 7 MOTM
Mee 5 not his usual self, even after a rest
Ward 5 playing 120 midweek showed
Cork 6 their midfield ran the show, Dacoure (sp) impressed me
Westwood 6 as above
Hendrick 5 goals change games, his miss, or lack of a tap in changed the game, lost possession more than usual too
Lennon 6 got in some good areas, pulled back to the pen spot, but our number 10/2nd striker wasn't around
JBG 6
Wood 4 awful, offered nothing. Regularly out muscled/ran. To be fair he was on his own and had the task of occupying all the back 4. Starved of service. Needs a partner.

Barnes 5
Vokes 6
Taylor 6

What a terrible performance, the 2nd half was particularly painful viewing.
I'm not having playing 120 minutes Thursday didn't effect us today, bigger and better squads have found it difficult to juggle both competitions.
Our squad is very light, 4 defenders and 2 strikers on the bench today, looks like our failings in the transfer window could prove costly.
I'm going Greece, but I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest if we exited this competion ASAP.

Our failure to get bodies in the box to cause them problems needs to be rectified, it's the 4th consecutive game where we haven't preformed in the final 3rd.
These 2 users liked this post: ebby Top Claret

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:17 pm

hart - 6 no chance with the first or second. the third, whilst a good hit, seemed pretty central so he could possibly have done better with it

lowton - 5 like most of the team he had a decent first half and a poor second. 3rd goal killed us and it was his error.

ward - 5 hasn't really hit any heights so far this season

tarkowski - 6 good goal and some lovely crossfield balls but guilty of being a bit casual in possession, same as

mee - 5 not a good day

cork - 7 ran the game with hendrick in the first half, struggled in the second

westwood - 6 average deluxe

hendrick - 8 superb in the first half, inexplicably hooked in the 2nd when he was still our most influential player

gudmundsson - 5 not at the races a the moment but he's also a marked man

lennon - 6 saw a bit more of the ball than gudmundsson but wasn't much more effective with it

wood - 3 awful, offering absolutely nothing at the moment

vokes - 4 unlucky not to score with his first touch but it was all huff and puff after that

barnes - 3 similar to wood, he just wasn't in the game at all

game of two halves this, where we were the better side in the first and should really have been ahead only to shoot ourselves in the foot in the second and make it a comfortable victory for watford.

the 3rd goal knocked the stuffing out of us, albeit the goalscorer shouldn't have been on the pitch, we just had no answer to it. changes should have come earlier with wood and either of the wingers offering nothing.

no need to panic though, whilst the second half showing was pretty inexplicable, the first half was good and the addition of an option like vydra will improve us. hopefully brady and defour will return sooner rather than later as well, we just missed that extra bit of guile.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Top Claret wrote:Hart 6
Lowton 6
Tarks 5
Mee 5
Ward 5
Westwood 5
Cork 6
Lennon 6
Jbg 5
Hendrick 5
Wood 5

Subs all 5

Dreadful 2nd half performance the worst since Hull away boxing day 2016.
Our squad is far to lightweight for Thursday /Sunday games at this high level. We need to make 11 changes in Greece and throw the game Premier league is our bread and butter and the money that comes with it.
Everton struggled last season due to the europa league and we will.

Again only 4 players started last thursday so lets get that excuse out of the way to start with
This user liked this post: bf2k

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Hart 6
Lowton 6
Tarkowski 6
Mee 6
Ward 5
Lennon 7
Westwood 7
Cork 8
JBG 5
Hendrick 8
Wood 6

Barnes 5
Vokes 6

Dom
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 218 times

Post by Dom » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Hart - 6. From where I was sat nothing he could do with the goals, crap defensive performance in front of him.
Ward - 3. Crap forwards and back.
Mee - 4. One of his worst displays for us.
Tarkowski - 6. Generally OK, goals didn't go through his side.
Lowton - 4. Not good enough but wasn't helped by Lennon and his crap runs.
Cork - 6. Tried with the ball even if he did lose it a few times, no movement in front of him.
Westwood - 3. Abysmal.
JBG - 3. See above.
Lennon - 3. See above above.
Hendrick - 7. Good runs, showed for the ball, constantly pulled defenders out of position. Just a shame he was surrounded by such crap. Did the right thing in not shooting straight away in the box when it came to him, would have been blocked.
Wood - 4. Isolated but that doesn't excuse the rest of his play.

Barnes - 4. Did nothing
Vokes - 4. Header aside, did nothing.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7521 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:42 pm

Hart 7
Lowton 5
Tarks 7
Mee 5 (unBen-like today)
Ward 5
Lennon 6
Cork 7**
Westwood 6
JBG 6
Hendrick 7
Wood 4

Vokes 6
Barnes 5

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Difficult one to rate in terms of the extremes from a decent first half to that second half. The second half reminded me of Arsenal away last year when we just didn’t turn up.

Hart 6
Lowton 5
Ward 4
Tarkowski 5
Mee 5
JBG 5
Lennon 5
Cork 6
Westwood 5
Hendrick 7 MOM (looked like he should have scored)
Wood 5

Barnes 4
Vokes 4

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:51 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
wood - 3 awful, offering absolutely nothing at the moment

vokes - 4 unlucky not to score with his first touch but it was all huff and puff after that

barnes - 3 similar to wood, he just wasn't in the game at all
What does this tell you? We tried 3 different strikers and non of them offered anything, to me this says the quality into them isn't good enough.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:54 pm

Hart 6 Not at fault for the goals, but didn't save any either

Lowton 7 steady in difficult circumstances
Tarks 6 not his best
Mee 5 poor
Ward 6 the clatter early on didn't do him any favours

Lennon 6 some nice touches, but some poor as well
Westwood 6 looked the best of the midfield without being at his best
Cork 6 hit and miss
Hendrick 8 mom The miss early on where he appeared to be unable to get the ball from under his foot apart, I thought he had a great game. Involved in all the good moves, won the ball, took players on, and play some lovely passes behind.
JBG 6 ran his socks off the whole game, but his final ball is way behind where it was, and where it needs to be

Wood 5 Awful, never won a header, when he did manage to get on the ball he couldn't find a team mate, or hold off the defender.

If it were me I would start Heats, Gibson and Vokes for Hart, Mee and Wood, but that would be a knee jerk reaction and not Seans way.

We made some silly mistakes defensively which we were punished for. I thought Watford were a good team, and Deeney played exceptional. I never appreciated he was that good, I feel silly now I was bemoaning we were interested in him.
We also had some passages that were excellent, especially down the right first half, but the final ball.....arghhh.
We have a shape, and a format for defending, but when we attack it seems to be like its every man for himself. That has to change.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:36 pm

Hart 6
Lowton 5
Tarks 5
Mee 3
Ward 6
Lennon 6
Cork 7**
Westwood 5
JBG 5
Hendrick 6
Wood 4

Vokes 6
Barnes 5

Dyche didn't get what he deserved this week, which was 2 defeats, but he got what he deserved in this one.

We were OK for 30 minutes but looked a defensive calamity throughout, and ironically the 3 players who were rested were the worst of the back 5. The only one where both Dyche and the player need sympathy was Westwood, who looked knackered against a midfield probably better than him anyway (e.g. Hughes).

Dyche has now played weakened teams at least 6 times in cup games in the last 3 seasons (I've checked the ones we exited in) and in all 6 subsequent league games we failed to win - after Leeds at home last season we then couldn't beat Huddersfield at home, that seems to be the pattern.

That was why I was so annoyed at his team for Istanbul last Thursday - the evidence is that it backfires in the next league game, and it did again. Luckily, it didn't cost us our trip to Athens, but because so many of us are still waiting for a cheaper western Europe game, I hope we at least give everything to beat Olympiacos and then see if the same team can win at the weekend. Do what you are famous for Sean - roll your best team forward game after game, and see where it takes us.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Hart 6 did ok but spilled a shot and nearly gifted a goal
Lowton 4 Dont know what was up today first half his crossing was good second half he was woeful.
Mee 5 Bad a game he had in a long time.
Tark 6, kept his shape did what he does one of our better players today.
Ward 4 lost Deeney for the goal was ball watching his crossing was poor age is getting the better.
JBG 5, Something was not right today needs to be on the right.
Cork 7, Best player for us today.
Westwood 5 his head got spun today out muscled and never got a grip
Lennon 4, Nothing he tried came off and occupied a position he should be doing better in lost cause today
Hendrick 6, Improving I think Vydra has caused him to up his game should have took his shot on first time today though tried to be to clever.
Wood 5, Not at the races but no service and what are you supposed to do he got bored out.

Buckshaw_Claret
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Buckshaw_Claret » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:09 pm

Hart 6
Lowton 5
Tarkowski 6
Mee 5
Ward 4
Lennon 4
Westwood 4
Cork 8
JBG 6
Hendrick 4
Wood 4

Barnes 5
Vokes 5

Desperately poor second half and also desperately poor of an option to change the midfield. Cork was the stand out performer. Westwood and Hendrick were shocking today.

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 827 times
Has Liked: 1609 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:16 pm

Hart 6
Lowton 5
Mee 5
Tarkowski 7
Ward 5
Gudmundsson 5
Westwood 6
Cork 8
Lennon 6
Hendrick 8
Wood 5

Barnes 5
Vokes 5

MDWat
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:23 pm

Hart 6
Lowton 5
Tarkowski 7
Mee 5
Ward 4
Lennon 6
Cork 6
Westwood 5
JBG 6
Hendrick 7
Wood 5

Barnes 5
Vokes 5

watsonsclarets
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 120 times

Post by watsonsclarets » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:52 pm

Hart 6 one decent save some poor distribution
Lowton 5 some decent movement and crosses 1st half 2nd less better to be said.
Tarkowski 6 Plays Hollywood diagonals in the Air to the smallest player on the pitch?
Mee 5 Ball watched at times and his channel ball to Wood was gobbled up all day.
Ward 6 Some may forget he stopped Andre with a quality block very early on. Otherwise looked a yard off the pace.
Lennon 6 Great first half but came to narrow 2nd and if it was for 2nd balls they were not landing. Looks bereft of confidence
Cork 6 Had his moments and fought well all afternoon against there giants. Looks tired but did cover alot of ground.
Westwood 5 Slow laborious on the ball bar one ball in the first half outside to Lowton.
JBG 5 Some sublime touches in the first half but faded and looked off the pace 2nd.
Hendrick 7 For me 1st half was a willing runner in the outside channel and grafted till he was hooked.
Wood 5 Nobody near him for the whole game won nothing and mistimed everything.

Barnes 5. Good wrestling performance but looked slow and sluggish
Vokes 6 Nearly scored put himself around better when somebody is close to him.

Overall beaten by a side who interchanged their wide midfielders, Hughes started moving laterally and it hurt our framework/shape and hurt our lines.

Deeney bullied and harassed and played well.

I got told off for swearing so overall a bad day.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:57 pm

I love reading the big contrasts in opinions on players performances, and it's good to see things from different points of view.

But how any single player can be scored an 8 today, which is "very good", is quite alarming.

claretgimmer
Been Liked: 151 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Hart - 6 Needs to be a bit quicker off his line
Lowton - 6 Great crosses first half but got closed down 2nd half
Tarkowski - 8 MOM for me, won his headers, good tackling and of course the goal
Mee - 5 Poor by his own standards, passed to players in worse positions than him
Ward - 5 Looked a bit tired
Lennon - 4 Decent first half but zero contribution 2nd
Cork - 7 Constantly trying to get something going
Westwood - 5 Bit hit and miss today
JBG - 5 quality from out wide was poor on both sides
Hendrick - 7 One of his better games but he`s not a number 10, bit slow in posession at times
Wood - 4 Lightweight and poor hold up play needs to be in a 2 or on the bench

Vokes - 5 Not really involved enopugh after his near miss with first header
Barnes - 5 Best we have at leading the line but had crap service today
Taylor - 6 Upgrade on Wardy but not really that effective

Dyche 3 For picking Woods to be a lone striker and persisting with Hendrick as an attacking midfielder, I hate to say it but the lad Dack down the road shows how to play that role perfectley and is the type we should be looking for come January if he wants to play a one up front.

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:27 pm

Hart - 7 - Given a decent mark because I thought he did well generally. However, I may review on watching the goals again.

Lowton - 6 - Very poor pass for the third but there was plenty of opportunity to stop the shot after the mistake

Ward - 5 - Poor going forward, caught in possession a few times. Maybe this is the start of the end of Ward???

Tarks - 7 - Mark for the goal but when we're carved open twice like we were questions need asking about the centre backs performance

Mee - 6 - As Tarks with some added poor passes and sluggish play

Westwood - 7 - Thought he did well

Cork - 7 - As Westwood

Hendrick - 8* - Played well today, pick of the bunch. Unlucky to be subbed but we needed a formation change. We made a 3 in midfield instead of being a number 10 and it suited him better (although not the team).

JBG - 7 - Tried his best with little support from Ward

Lennon - 5 - Apart from a few flurries in the first half offered nothing

Wood - 5 - Did he win anything today?

Barnes - 6 - At least he won free kicks and got some change from the Watford centre backs

Vokes - 5 - Can't remember if he was on before 75min but he didn't get into the game

No plan A today never mind plan B. Much the same as Istanbul in midweek, good fist half then collapse

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2196 times
Has Liked: 2179 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:28 pm

claretgimmer wrote: Dyche 3 For picking Woods to be a lone striker and persisting with Hendrick as an attacking midfielder, I hate to say it but the lad Dack down the road shows how to play that role perfectley and is the type we should be looking for come January if he wants to play a one up front.
You've seen Dack at Premier League level, have you?

:roll:

claretgimmer

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Hadn`t seen Ings or Austin either but they do a good job, if a player has the basiuc skills they will grow with him

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:33 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Again only 4 players started last thursday so lets get that excuse out of the way to start with
Spot on. These were Hart (GK), Ward who rarely got forward on Thursday, Westwood who was fine today and Lennon
who was subbed early in the second half. Tiredness is not an excuse.

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:40 pm

claretgimmer wrote:Hadn`t seen Ings or Austin either but they do a good job, if a player has the basiuc skills they will grow with him
I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.

claretgimmer

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:43 pm

I didn`t say we should buy him but we need a player of his ilk and it isn`t Hendrick

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:44 pm

claretgimmer wrote:I didn`t say we should buy him but we need a player of his ilk and it isn`t Hendrick
Hendrick who was arguably our best player today?

Righto then.

:shock:

claretgimmer

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:46 pm

Had a decent game but still doesn`t stand out as an attacking midfielder unless you have claret tinted glasses or you`re related to him

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:51 pm

claretgimmer wrote:Had a decent game but still doesn`t stand out as an attacking midfielder unless you have claret tinted glasses or you`re related to him
City wouldn't sell us De Bruyne.
This user liked this post: Leisure

claretgimmer

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Bloody Hell you really rate Hendrick highly

fidelcastro

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:56 pm

claretgimmer wrote:Bloody Hell you really rate Hendrick highly
Not exactly, but I've never been as down on him as some on here seem to be (yourself included) and as I said previously, he was one of, if not the best player today.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:58 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Your wish this week was win Thursday and today didn’t matter so no whinging bellend
Why would I ever want us to lose? The question I asked was IF we could only win 1, which one would you rather win. It's pretty simple to understand but you're not the first to make an absolute meal of it. Keep sitting on the fence, I've never heard your opinion on anything football related, you spend your time on here moaning at other people's opinion.

Btw personal abuse is no longer tolerated, I got banned for 1 week for calling someone a t**t, so expect a ban.

claretgimmer

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Not rating him as an attacking midfielder is not a downer on him, he is a decent midfielder but thats as far as it goes which if you read my comment in the ratings I said he had a decent game

Leisure
Been Liked: 3772 times
Has Liked: 12363 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:01 pm

ebby wrote:What would you like me to post - all 9's? Watching here on TV from almost 15,000 Kms away that's what I saw.
Where were the empty stands?

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:01 pm

MACCA wrote:I love reading the big contrasts in opinions on players performances, and it's good to see things from different points of view.

But how any single player can be scored an 8 today, which is "very good", is quite alarming.
Like you say, its all about opinions. But i thought we were very good indeed in the first half and should have gone in ahead. Had we done so, and had we then just ground out the second half being no more or less creative than we were, I think you'd see some 8s being given without the performance level really changing from what we've witnessed today. And given these are individual player ratings, then if the player I'm rating wasn't culpable for any of the calamities which were the goals we conceded I dont see why the rating should change.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:04 pm

I dont do the ratings but rather start another thread, i do find it strange that we seem to be a 1st half good team 2nd half poor in the last 6 games.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:04 pm

Hart - 6
Lowton - 5
Tarkowski - 7
Mee - 5
Ward - 5
Lennon - 6
Cork - 7
Westwood - 6
JBG - 6
Hendrick - 7
Wood - 5
Vokes - 5
Barnes - 5
Taylor - 5

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Buckshaw_Claret wrote: Westwood and Hendrick were shocking today.
I know that it's a game of opinions but you can't be serious!
These 2 users liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70 simonclaret

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:09 pm

To be honest I didn't see that result coming and in many ways it really was the proverbial game of two halves. In the first, albeit after a sloppy start I felt we played some of our best football in the PL. I could only see one result. The shape and passing especially between Cork, Westwood and Hendrick was exquisite. In the second lets just say tiredness set in both mentally and physically for a few of the players.

Hart 6-Think he was left exposed by the defence on more than a couple of occasions. No blame for any of the goals
Lowton 5-Certainly to blame for the 3rd goal. He had an indifferent game
Tarkowski 7-Not sure he's playing his best with Mee. Sometimes theres too much space between them
Mee 5-Thought in the main by his standards he had a poor game. No leadership and not his commanding self.
Ward 5-Think he was carrying an injury for most of the game. He got clobbered towards the end of first half.
Lennon 5-The lad tries, but to me he's more often than not on the periphery.
Westwood 6-He had a good first half but think he became tired.
Cork 8*-my MOM.
JBG 5-Very poor in both halves.
Hendrick 7-Thought he did well, but he has to be more clinical or single minded once he gets into the box.
Wood 4-Sorry and I have no agenda but he's a Championship player.

Barnes 5-Didn't have any influence on changing the game.
Vokes 5-Good chance with his first touch but apart nothing much. That said, Sam would be in front of Wood if I was selecting.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:15 pm

claretspice wrote:Like you say, its all about opinions. But i thought we were very good indeed in the first half and should have gone in ahead. Had we done so, and had we then just ground out the second half being no more or less creative than we were, I think you'd see some 8s being given without the performance level really changing from what we've witnessed today. And given these are individual player ratings, then if the player I'm rating wasn't culpable for any of the calamities which were the goals we conceded I dont see why the rating should change.
If your man would have put away the relatively simple chance to get a shot on goal and even score, and we had hung on for a 2-1 win as you suggest, then of course the 8's would have been on show, and worthy, as the shut out would have been at the expense of some great defensive displays, and even counter attack chances.

The fact however is, he didn't score, we went on to conceed a further 2 goals, both could be said sloppy and avoidable, and we didn't create a single chance of note worthy of being classed as a chance.

You can't rate a player as an 8, for a 45 minute half that was good, not world class, just good, then in the 2nd we were as poor as we've ever been in a single half. It was equally poor at both ends of the pitch, not a mistake, not 1 man having an off day, but several players putting it nicely, an off day.

I'm not singling out Jeff at all, every single player. I thought Tarky was the best player, scored, won a lot, looked composed bringing the ball down and out from.the back, nothing really got past him as such, however he was part of the team that Conceeded 3 at home to Watford, and in truth in the 2nd half, played like a team that had never played together before.
This user liked this post: ClaretAL

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:16 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Hart - 5
Lowton - 5
Tarkowski - 5
Mee - 5
Ward - 4
Lennon - 3
Cork - 6
Westwood - 4
JBG - 5
Hendrick - 5
Wood - 3
Vokes - 3
Barnes - 3

Shocking performance
We're Burnley not Barcelona!

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:21 pm

claretgimmer wrote:I didn`t say we should buy him but we need a player of his ilk and it isn`t Hendrick

Someone like Vydra you mean ;)

claretgimmer

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:24 pm

If he can do the midfield bit then happy days but I thought he was an out and out forward hence being the leading goalscorer in the championship

claretgimmer

Post by claretgimmer » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:24 pm

If he can do the midfield bit then happy days but I thought he was an out and out forward hence being the leading goalscorer in the championship

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:30 pm

claretgimmer wrote:If he can do the midfield bit then happy days but I thought he was an out and out forward hence being the leading goalscorer in the championship
He played most of his games last season in the number 10 role and is more of an attacking midfielder who slots in behind the forward.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:39 pm

MACCA wrote:If your man would have put away the relatively simple chance to get a shot on goal and even score, and we had hung on for a 2-1 win as you suggest, then of course the 8's would have been on show, and worthy, as the shut out would have been at the expense of some great defensive displays, and even counter attack chances.

The fact however is, he didn't score, we went on to conceed a further 2 goals, both could be said sloppy and avoidable, and we didn't create a single chance of note worthy of being classed as a chance.

You can't rate a player as an 8, for a 45 minute half that was good, not world class, just good, then in the 2nd we were as poor as we've ever been in a single half. It was equally poor at both ends of the pitch, not a mistake, not 1 man having an off day, but several players putting it nicely, an off day.

I'm not singling out Jeff at all, every single player. I thought Tarky was the best player, scored, won a lot, looked composed bringing the ball down and out from.the back, nothing really got past him as such, however he was part of the team that Conceeded 3 at home to Watford, and in truth in the 2nd half, played like a team that had never played together before.
Each to their own. I thought the second half was a perfectly even affair, the sort we've seen plenty before at Burnley - apart from two dreadful pieces of defending within 90 seconds at the beginning of the half - massed defence from a team only really interested in defending, a few half chances for us, a couple of chances on the counter attack for them but no more than that. What you're effectively doing is marking the team down for a couple of individual errors at the beginning of the second half, and the collective failure of the team to make more of a number of openings in the first half (for what its worth, I thought Hendrick should have hit that chance first time, but as the ball was bobbling it wasn't an easy chance at all). We played worse, overall, against Leicester at home last season but won 2-0 on that occasion because we took the only two chances we had and then defended roughly as we did today but didn't get punished.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:02 pm

Hart 6
Lowton 6
Tarkowski 6
Mee 6
Ward 6
Lennon 6
Westwood 7
Cork 8
JBG 6
Hendrick 7
Wood 6

Barnes 6
Vokes 6

Worked hard but lacked that 10% edge we usually have.
Heaton in goal next week please.