Jimmy McIlroy - Online Book of Condolence

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Jimmy McIlroy - Online Book of Condolence

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:44 pm

Burnley Football Club have opened a Book of Condolence for Jimmy McIlroy which is in the Bob Lord Stand reception.

I'm placing this thread on here to enable people who aren't able to attend Turf Moor to post their entries. I will then endeavour to have the thread printed and placed alongside the book.

Please use this thread for that one purpose - just to post your memories of Jimmy McIlroy as you would do in a book.

Burypaddy
Been Liked: 21 times

Re: Jimmy McIlroy - Online Book of Condolence

Post by Burypaddy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 pm

All time great and true gent.
RIP

Maple Leafs
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Maple Leafs » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:51 pm

To, Jimmys family. Please accept my deepest condolences , my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Rest in peace to a great footballer and a true gentleman named Jimmy Mcilroy. Will never be forgotten. GOD BLESS.

Peter Jackson
Ontario Canada.

oldclaret101
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by oldclaret101 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:05 pm

Someone so special can never be forgotten.R.I.P.Jimmy.

AngleseyClaret
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by AngleseyClaret » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:52 pm

My boyhood hero, Jimmy Mac, never forgotten condolence to Jimmys family. RIP the best ever Burnley player Jimmy Mcilroy

piston broke
Been Liked: 1447 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:17 am

Deepest condolences to all family and friends on the loss of Jimmy.
A true great of British football and forever in the hearts and memories of those who were privileged to see him play.
RIP Jimmy Mac MBE

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:14 am

I’m proud that my Club will forever be associated with this great man.

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:56 am

I took my son who was probably about 7 or 8 at the time to a book signing in Colne one wet and windy Saturday morning. He had no idea who Jimmy was but as a fledgling Burnley fan he knew he was important. Jimmy was great with him, chatting to him and signing his book and a photograph which now take pride of place in his room as a 17 year old. I'll never forget the withering look Jimmy gave me as he spoke to him though:

JM: (signing book) So, are you a Burnley fan?
Son: Yes
JM: Ahh, that's good. Do you have a season ticket?
Son: Yes
JM: Great - so you'll be looking forward going to Turf Moor to see the game later then?
Son: I don't think so - it's a bit cold today.....

I've endeavoured to be a better parent since that day. My son is still a season ticket holder and he goes to every home game. He's since been joined by two younger brothers and we're all very proud to sit as a family in the Jimmy McIlroy stand.

kalkan claret
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by kalkan claret » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:17 am

Another local born claret watched this great man an icon with his skill and attitude because of him and his team mates still a claret 60 years on,RIP Jimmy

Phathanded

Post by Phathanded » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:02 pm

I am too young to ever have the privilege to watch this great man play in his prime. However I will always remember the way in which, no matter how he entered people’s lives, every one of them would only speak in glowing terms.

I was a stubborn child in the early 90’s who wanted to support the club he was born and lived closest to. My dad, a Bolton fan was desperate to get me to follow the Trotters. He failed and I was always going to be a Claret. My dad was a kid himself in the 60’s and he would regale me with tales about our great Team and Jimmy Macs name would always be the first he would tell me about. This despite being a Wanderers fan.

The stories of his selfless devotion to the Club and Town, especially in later life, giving up his own time and just being a proper gentlemen. The likes of which we are unlikely to see in our game ever again.

Jimmy has touched so many peoples lives in such a positive way he will never be forgotten.

Deepest condolences to his family and close friends.

UTC

iluva64
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 130 times

Post by iluva64 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Skimmed, semi-skimmed and full cream - the footballing milkman

Always said 'Good morning' as we passed each other as I opened up Manchester Road Esso Petrol Station on a Sunday morning and he was doing his milk round.

Never saw you play Jimmy, my Dad did. There are people we meet in life and you know they were one of the greatest. - A gold top
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 12.30.04.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 12.30.04.png (722.97 KiB) Viewed 7267 times

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:33 pm

Condolences to his family and friends. Although I'm too young to have seen him play, he was, is and always will be integral to the club and its story and in that sense a little bit of the club passes into history with this news.

We might be lucky enough to see another player of his calibre in his prime, but in the unlikely event that we do, its almost inconceivable that they'll become so indelibly connected to the club. A true ambassador the club has been lost.

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:43 pm

I first met Jimmy when I was 4 years old, when he came to pick up his son Paul from our Nursery class. Jimmy's influence on that school was immense, we were football mad and I went through both Rosehill School and BGS with Paul. Jimmy was a real gentleman. The mayhem after Burnley's decision to sell him to Stoke remains with me now; thankfully I was able to see him play in Claret and Blue before he left, the last time when he came back for John Angus' testimonial match.

Whenever you met Jimmy in later years he had a sparkle in his eye; he would never accept any credit for the championship winning team of 1960, insisting that all his team mates 'could have played for anyone'. He always had time to talk, sign books and reminisce. He was the greatest footballer of his generation but he was just as good a person as he was a footballer. What a lesson for todays players to follow!

I am proud to be a Claret and to sit in the stand named after him. I send my sincere condolences to his grieving family, especially Paul who I haven't seen for years, but who I know idolised his Dad.

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1828 times
Has Liked: 2613 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:25 pm

I first saw Jimmy play in August 1952 when, as a 5 year old, my dad took me to my first game against Middlesbrough which we lost 0-1. Needless to say, I was just chomping at the bit to go to the next match because it was such a thrill to watch there heroes play. I was so lucky over the years to watch Jimmy play such an important part in the progress of the club to becoming League Champions in 1959/60 and I was so sad when he was sold to Stoke but still kept an eye on what he was doing there. I was privileged to sit at the dinner table with Jimmy and other legends from that side when the 50th Anniversary was celebratedand it was a pleasure to listen to their stories.
My condolences to the family on this sad occasion, however, I shall never forget having been privileged to see Jimmy play and I shall always remember a true gentleman and Claret legend. RIP Jimmy and thanks for some wonderful memories.

Claret&Green
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 24 times

Post by Claret&Green » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:10 am

Like many others I am too young to have ever seen you play, but both my Father & Grandfather told me about you. My Grandfather who watched Burnley for over 70 years until he passed on in '92 said you were not only the greatest Claret, but the greatest player he'd ever seen, I did get to meet you once, at Peter Nobles market stall in 80's, my childhood hero and my Dad's childhood hero together, if only we'd had mobile phones back then I'd have the best selfie ever. RIP Jimmy Mac, a true gentleman and a Legend you will never be forgotten!
This user liked this post: savethegayblackwhale

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:43 am

He was the best. Period. A total gentleman, and somebody we should always honour and look up to. RIP, Jimmy Mac.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:02 am

Condolences to Jimmy's many family and friends as you Jimmy join some of your colleagues from that great collection of BFC players of the 50's and 60's. What a great collection they were with you Jimmy at the pinnacle of that team.
One of the benefits of my age is that I saw the maestro for his entire Burnley career and beyond and no better player has graced the Turf in my life time-a few equals but never better.
It was an honour to have seen Mac play and once again my condolences to Jimmy's family and friends and may he RIP

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:53 am

Met Jimmy on many occasions. Spent many a summers day in the Scorebox at Ramsbottom Cricket Club. He was reporting for the Sports Pink. What a charming man. I hadn’t realised who he was for the first few times he visited, until asked how I felt sharing the scorebox with a Burnley football legend. I was thrilled to say the least. I already had his book “Right inside soccer”. I remember running home to check the pictures to make sure it was really him!! I’d only have been about 12 years old at the time. I would run, often to the tearoom for a cuppa tea for Jimmy, especially on rain days when he was happy talking soccer as we called it in the 70’s.

Again, a charming man. Condolences to all his family and friends. RIP Jimmy.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:13 am

I missed seeing him play by just 2/3 years but I have seen so much footage and spoke to so many who did witness his skills. I have seen many players over the years at the Turf who are known as legends (Leighton James, Martin Dobson, Dave Thomas etc.) but none have quite the same synonymy with the club as Jimmy. Look at the history of the club and Jimmy Macs name looms large over it. Have we had better players? I can't judge because I never personally saw him but we have never, and will probably never have, had a man who is so intertwined with the club as Jimmy. You don't hear anyone say 'Jimmy McIlroy, didn't he play for Stoke?' If anyone can ever be called Mr Burnley FC it is the genius that was Jimmy McIlroy.
If there is an afterlife Jimmy, pull on those boots because you would play for Eternity FC.

turfmoorboy
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by turfmoorboy » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:26 pm

The reason I became a Burnley fan and have been ever since 1961. Such a brilliant player and a warm gentleman off the pitch. It's what our wonderful club is all about. Thanks for the memories Jimmy, they and your stand will live on for ever. Always in Burnley hearts. Condolences to Jimmy's family and friends at this sad time.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Deepest condolences to his family and friends

Gone, but - no nay never forgotten.

May he rest in peace

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:18 pm

club have now also added a link to an online book of condolence.

http://memorial.myburnleyfc.com/2018/08 ... y-mcilroy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frenchclaret
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by Frenchclaret » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:31 pm

I began watching Burnley in the early 1950’s and therefore saw most of the home games Jimmy Mac played at Turf Moor. I have never seen anyone else as good as he was, playing for the Clarets. Jimmy was an excellent player - he could run with the ball, stand still with it and mesmerise the opposition, he was a great passer, he scored goals and made them for others. I don’t personally remember him heading the ball but I am sure he could.
I only met him once in person. That was at my sister’s wedding to Alan Shackleton. I was a shy teenager and didn’t know how to deal with the many footballers who were there but Jimmy realised this and made a point of speaking to me and including me in the conversations.
May I add my condolences to the family and hope these simple, heartfelt messages help them in their grief.
RIP Jimmy and thank you for all the wonderful displays of football in your early life and your gentlemanly demeanour throughout your life.

davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by davemanu2000 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:57 pm

Jimmy McIlroy was a popular figure in Mauritius . He came with Burnley to play six matches . he was brilliant and won the hearts of all Mauritians . May his soul rest in peace .

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:24 pm

RIP a true legend Claret and decent human being.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:31 pm

They say you shouldn't meet your heroes. Jimmy was the exception. I met him only once, at his home late in life, but he was a gracious host and a perfect gentleman.

Brucefanclaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by Brucefanclaret » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:38 pm

With thanks for all you did for Burnley FC as a player and as our president. Watching you play was one of my earliest Burnley memories. My sincere condolences to your family and close friends. RIP.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:36 pm

The term 'Legend' and 'Hero' is lost in today's society of reality wannabees. You are a real 'Legend' and 'Hero' to many a supporter of our proud and famous football club. You helped to bring glory back to our club but never let it go to your head, your humility is a precious commodity and later in life, to choose to receive your MBE at Turf Moor said it all.

You leave a void that will never be filled.

Rest in Peace

Mydannyboy49
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by Mydannyboy49 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:21 am

Met him at a question and answer session inLittleborough a few years ago. Spent at least half an hour talking to him and he was a perfect gentleman. Didn’t know why people had come out to see him. He had no idea that he was a hero to do many folk. RIP Jimmy McIlroy

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6536 times

Post by bobinho » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:59 am

Although a Northern Irishman, Burnley has lost one of its own. Our town, and our football club is much worse for your passing.

A legend, never to be forgotten. My dad said you were the best....and that’ll do for me.

RIP the great Jimmy McIlroy.

ClaretKent
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by ClaretKent » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:58 pm

RIP Jimmy.

I too am unfortunate never to have seen you play for the club that I love but I know very well how much the town and its fans adore you.
Elegance and grace are the two words everyone uses to reveal your footballing genius.
Gentleman is the word most often used to describe you as a man.

Thank you for everything. Burnley Football Club and the town is much richer in every way for having you represented them.

Our thoughts are with your family now, especially Paul who I knew quite well for a time as a fellow cricketer.

I am so pleased that you saw us return to the top level of English Football where you once graced the great stadiums of this country.

Thank you. Up the Clarets.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:20 pm

Like many others i never saw the great man play live,but he was one of my earliest memories of BFC,regaled by tales from granddads and uncles,who did have the honour too watch the greatest ever claret in his prime.

What places Jimmy Mac above ordinary mortals is his lifelong connection with the club,and more importantly the town,despite not being born in Burnley.

Condolences to his family and friends,RIP Jimmy thanks for the memories.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:41 am

Very very Sad
Never saw you play, but just seeing you smile seemed to epitomize who you were as a person.
RIP Jimmy

Cog lane Claret
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Cog lane Claret » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:50 pm

R I P Burnleys greatest your legend will live on forever at our great club youll always be a claret from markbrennand and family

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:41 pm

I met Jimmy when I was fortunate enough to win a signed shirt in at CM dinner auction. Such a humble gentleman who's first words to me were "you're the crazy man who spent way over the odds for my shirt".

Such a hero, even to those Clarets who aren't even old enough to have seen him play.

R.I.P Jimmy.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:07 pm

My late Dad stopped his season ticket when you were sold, hated Bob the Butcher for it. He loved J.Mc and I pass on my condolences on behalf of both of us.

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:02 am

A great footballer. A hero. A legend, An icon.
Whatever you want to call him, he was "our Jimmy".
Nobody seems to have a bad word to say about him, and the town of Burnley will be a bit less bright from now on.
Rest In Peace, Jimmy, and thanks for all you ever did for the club and the town of Burnley.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:50 pm

RIP Jimmy God Bless you x

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Seemed a lovely man and a great ambassador for our club. My Dad told me the other day on hearing the news that he was his idol and was quite moved.He is in his 70s and I didn't think he did 'idols'. I was most surprised because he'd previously told me that jimmy had once asked my Mum out. RIP

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:05 pm

I am far too young to have seen Jimmy play but my dad has told me stories about him. He was one of the best in what some called the best era.

I've always been proud to be a Claret. A proper club with history, so I've always taken a big interest in our team from the 60s and 70s. It's so important to appreciate where you've been to understand where you are. Jimmy is a huge part of that and I'm proud to be able to say he's the best claret we've had.

When we got promoted in 09 and wore the commemorative kit I got McIlroy on the back of my shirt as an homage to him. I've worn every game since his passing.

RIP Jimmy, you're reputation precedes you as both a man and a footballer. Thank you for representing our club. Rest in peace.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:36 pm

My boyhood hero. I was so upset when he left Burnley to join Stoke. But as I got older I realised he never left Burnley, he was in fact Mr. Burnley in my eyes and always would be. I got to know him as a neighbour later in his and my life and I discovered what a true gentleman he was. Jimmy, I will never forget how you graced Turf Moor with your skills. Thank you for everything . Rest in peace.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:53 pm

Again just too young to see him play , now my father did but when the club sold him to Stoke my farther said he would never do to the Turf again and never did . My father said he was fantastic you could never take your eye off him .
History is the thing that can't be changed , Jimmy will always be a legend .

davemanu2000
Been Liked: 1145 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by davemanu2000 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:25 pm

Jimmy was well known in Mauritius for great performances in 1954 . Mauritius has lost a great friend .

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 am

I began to follow Burnley after the cup final with Spurs. I read about Jimmy McIlroy and his importance to Burnley and he became my unseen hero.

I cried when he was sold to Stoke. Part of the soul of my club had gone.

In later life his importance, within the town grew. I witnessed his approach and spoken words, to any new award. Always deflecting the glory onto others in 'the team'. His status as a man grew.

Many awards later he, once again, was integral to the fabric of Burnley the football club and Burnley the town.

He shouldered that responsibility with immense dignity.

He was a superb footballer, a gentleman and a gentle man.

The tears welled up when I learned of his death. However, this Northern Irish man of Burnley will be cherished, forever in my mind and yours.

Thank you Jimmy.

IanMcL

k90bfc
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 5445 times

Post by k90bfc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:28 pm

One of our greatest players ever,His beloved Turf Moor,will never see a better Player and Humble person,RIP,Jimmy,you will be sorely missed,Sad day.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:14 am

Another one who is too young to have seen Jimmy play but without exception, everyone who I have spoken to who did see him play told me he was the greatest. I met Jimmy once when he was a guest of the club and I was working in the bar. He was happy to chat and signed a programme for me and you could see the esteem he was held in by other guests who were lucky enough to have seen him play. He was an absolute gentleman and so modest.

A few years ago I owned a bakery shop in Brookmans Park Hertfordshire and one Saturday I was wearing a Burnley polo shirt. A customer looked at the badge and said a Burnley fan, do you know Jimmy McIlroy? I said I didn't know him but had met him and of course knew all about the great man. I used to go on holiday with Jimmy in the 60s said the customer, he was a great friend of my father. I was intrigued to learn more, being more than 200 miles from Burnley so I asked who his father was. Danny Blanchflower was the reply. Quite a surreal morning chatting to the son of a Spurs legend about holidaying with a Burnley legend, back when our teams were the best in the country.

We have lost our legend, a great player and an even greater person. What a man to choose to receive his MBE on the Turf instead of Buckingham Palace. RIP Jimmy McIlroy. My respects duly paid before the Man Utd game
FB_IMG_1536005795954.jpg
FB_IMG_1536005795954.jpg (90.32 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
This user liked this post: mdd2

GordonvaleClaret
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by GordonvaleClaret » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:35 pm

I've got 3 memories of Mr McIlroy:
* He would always leave the ground from the carpark on Brunshaw Rd. Spotting this from outside the players entrance, I would run, dressed in my elder brother's hand-me-downs, to catch up with him. He always "so mild mannerly" and "gracefully" signed my scrapbook pictures. He made me feel so special.
* Burnley v Spurs: The boys started off kicking ***** out of each other. The 2 Jimmys, McIlroy & Greaves, spent the whole of the first half standing on the halfway line chatting to one another, disinterested in the proceedings.
* I never pronounced his name correctly.
To Jimmy's family, my sincere condolences. Please be comforted with the pleasure he has given to me, that I have carried through my life.