Wolves v Burnley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Re: Wolves v Burnley - Player Ratings

Post by joey13 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:11 pm

Hart 9
Bardsley 3
Tarkowski 5
Mee 5
Taylor 3
Lennon 3
Cork 4
Hendrick 4
JBG 4
Barnes 4
Vokes 4

Vydra 5
Wood 3

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:24 pm

Hart8
Bardsley 4
Taylor 5
Tarkowski 6
Mee 6
Lennon 3
Gudmundsson 6
Hendrick 5
Cork 5
Barnes 5
Vokes 6

Vydra 7
Wood 6

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Hart 8 mom
Bardsley 4
Tarkowski 6
Mee 6
Taylor 4
Lennon 4
Cork 6
Hendrick 5
JBG 6
Barnes 5
Vokes 6

Vydra 7
Wood 5

Dyche 4

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Hart 8
Bardsley 3 - pay him up and get shut, he's finished
Tarkowski 5
Mee 4
Taylor 4
Lennon 3 - needs a spell on the sidelines
Cork 4
Hendrick 5
Gudmundsson 5
Barnes 4
Vokes 4

Vydra 6
Wood 3

Dyche 3 - stinker, again

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:32 pm

Hart 9
Bardsley 3
Tarkowski 5
Mee 5
Taylor 4
Lennon 3
Cork 4
Hendrick 4
Gudmundsson 4
Barnes 4
Vokes 6

Vydra 6
Wood 3

Dyche - worrying

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:40 pm

Hart 9 mom
Bardsley 3
Tarkowski 7
Mee 8
Taylor 4
Lennon 3 could have been zero he was that bad
Cork 5
Hendrick 4
JBG 4
Barnes 4
Vokes 5

Vydra 7 he needs to start.
Wood 3 not on long enough but showed nothing.

edwardianclaret
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by edwardianclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Hart 9
Bardsley 4
Tarkowski 6
Mee 6
Taylor 5
Lennon 3
Hendrick 4
Cork 6
JBG 4
Vokes 3
Barnes 3

Wood 3
Vydra 6

Dyche 0

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:51 pm

Positives - looked a bit more like the side that kept us in games by just being strong

Negatives - attacking play was non-existent and so many players are worlds away from their performances last season.

Hart 9 - can't ask for much more from a goalkeeper. He must be wondering though why the ten in front of him are struggling so much.
Bardsley 5 - he wasn't bad, but we need attacking full backs for our game to work. He shouldn't be in the side ahead of Lowton was offers so much more
Tarks 6 - alright, but still some basic errors in there
Mee 6 - alright, but as above
Taylor 5 - switched off a couple of times but he was under the most pressure all game
Lennon 5 - he's working hard but he's not going to be able to do anything unless we can somehow become more expansive and give him some room to run into.
Cork 6 - solid, but he's missing Defour
Hendrick 7 - thought he did more than ok to be honest, but he's got no options to pass to and he was one of a number of our players to be completely submerged in the Wolves press with no options to pass out of it.
JBG 5 - works hard but the quality wasn't there today
Vokes 5 - didn't get a kick
Barnes 4 - this is the Barnes of old. Offered nothing but petulance. Amazed he lasted a half to be honest

Subs
Vydra 6 - gave us a different option, to be honest he should be starting as we can't keep going like this
Wood 5 - never got going
Westwood 5 - if he's coming on, he should be coming on for one of the wide men and our best player this season can at least stay on the pitch.

Not good, but an improvement of sorts. I'm not sure what is wrong to be honest, it reminds me a bit of the start of the championship season where we struggled to get going until Barton and Gray lifted us up.

We need to find a solution fast though

But I have to say, I then watched Everton who spent far more than we could ever afford be beaten by West Ham, who spent far more than we could ever afford. The realities of the division are becoming starker ever season, and clubs like ours cannot compete without massive outside investment. That is reality unfortunately

EDIT - forgot all about Bardsley almost gifted them a second so I've dropped his mark to a 5!
Last edited by Lancasterclaret on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Claretto
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Claretto » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:00 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Heaton 9 Without him it could have been 6 or 7. We were very lucky to get none !
Heaton didn't play.

Very lucky to get none?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Hart 8
Bardsley 3 dreadful and should have seen red
Tarkowski 4 outmuscled throughout
Mee 5
Taylor 3 the amount of times he was caught out was embarrassing
Lennon 3 hide and seek champion. Should be zero
Hendrick 3 slow and awful distribution. Didn’t pick up a single second ball
Cork 3 as above
JBG 3 when we did get in a decent position he wasted most of them
Vokes 4 did nothing to hold it up when he did get rare glimpse of the ball.
Barnes 3 same as Vokes but worryingly seemed like there was no effort

Wood 3
Vydra 6 the only one who looked like he could make something happen.

That was a terrible performance. Could and should have been five or six.
Sloppy, weak, slow. It had absolutely nothing going for it.

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:18 pm

High on meth Lancaster?. To say Bardsley wasn’t bad is probably one of the most ridiculous things ever to be posted on this forum.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:22 pm

I don't get too up or too down on games GW.

Not a lot going right at the moment, but we defended alright i thought and my marks reflect that.

And i did say he shouldn't be in the side!

Granny WeatherWax

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:28 pm

No it’s the best not to get carried away at the results!

Bardsley was unbelievably abysmal today though!

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Hart 8-Excellent and our only player to come out of this debacle with any credit.
Bardsley 4- Certainly not the worst but lacked composure under pressure at times that could have been costly.
Tarkowski 6-Can't fault either of the 2 centre backs, they coped reasonably well under the severest of pressure.
Mee 6-Same as Tarks
Taylor 3-Too ofter caught out of position. The defending part of his game appears woeful
Lennon 3-I said on a previous player rating 'a luxury we cant afford'. Offers very little and I was surprised he started today.
Cork 3-Thought he was really poor and, I may be harsh, but he should have done better with our only chance.
Hendrick 3-Looses possession to easily for my liking.
JBG 3-no spark from the Ice Man.
Barnes 3-The roar appears to have gone out of the Lion.
Vokes 3-Offered very little

Vydra 6-This lad definitely offers us something that's missing and I hope SD isn't stubborn enough not to include him in starting 11 next Saturday.
Wood 4-See Vokes and Barnes although I'd definitely have the former 2 over this guy.

Chuckypad
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 272 times

Post by Chuckypad » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:30 pm

PictoPirate wrote:Hart - 8 (best performance in a Claret shirt).
He wore a green shirt pal

rincon
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by rincon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:10 pm

Hart 9 nearly a 10
Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 6
Mee 6
Taylor 4
Lennon 5
Cork 6
Hendrick 5
JBG 6
Barnes 4
Vokes 4

Vydra 6
Wood 5

nowt up front and didn't really look like scoring.
we need to sort that out and we'll be fine.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Hart 9
Bardsley 3
Tarky 5
Mee 4
Taylor 5
Lennon 3
Cork 4
Hendrick 3
JBG 4
Barnes 3
Vokes 4

Vydra 6

Abysmal

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:38 pm

Watched the game from a Wolves stand with Wolves friends, they are every bit a top 10 team for me, excellent technical players who have momentum coursing through the team; watching Neves reminded me what we’re missing with Defour. Barnes should have been deployed to mark him when Wolves had the ball, no one ever went with him and he just dropped off and was the base of all their attacks. The amount of sloppy play from us that led to them breaking on us was shocking.

Hart 9
Bardsley 4 (the first one I’ve given this season, his early booking made him a liability, I don’t know why Lowton didn’t come on at half time).
Mee 7 (better than previous weeks)
Tarkowski 7 (thought the defending in the box was pretty impressive given the onslaught)
Taylor 5
JBG 6
Lennon 5
Cork 5
Hendrick 5 (ok first half but deteriorated)
Barnes 4 (barely looked interested)
Vokes 6 (held ball up well and flicked on a couple that should have been anticipated - Extra mark for his clearing headers from Wolves corners)

Vydra 6 (should start with Vokes at the mo for me)
Wood 5 (looks so shornnof confidence)

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:07 pm

There's always going to be a bit of emotion and anger after a 4th straight defeat, particularly from a game when we were second best throughout. But calm heads are required. The next two or three games are going to be huge, and they're going to be a test of character for players primarily, but also supporters, who desperately need to keep positive.

Hart - 8 - He did fine, but let's get this right - he made a bunch of good saves, primarily in two flurries, all of which he'd expect to make 99 times out of a hundred. Wolves had only 7 shots on target, albeit they also failed to hit the target on at least 2 occasions when they should have scored. But our goal was not peppered with plausible goalscoring shots.

Bardsley - 4 - Booked early, and whilst he hung in gamely, that booking massively affected his ability to be aggressive and without that he's pretty toothless. Lucky not to give a goal away with an awful back pass and generally we massively missed Lowton's composure and ability to distribute from deep. I assume there's an injury there - lets hope its settled down for next week.

Taylor - 5 - Hung in well under huge pressure, but he was caught ball watching more times than is acceptable at this level, and on a couple of occasions he failed to make the most of good crossing positions. He's got plenty of potential, but he's a bit short at this level quite yet.

Tarkowski - 7 - Not perfect and caught out once or twice, but real signs that he's getting back to his best, particularly with a number of excellent blocks.

Mee - 7 - See Tarkowski. I thought he should have done more to stop the cross for the goal, but he was generally pretty solid under plenty of pressure.

Cork - 6 - Stuck to the task gamely, and tried to get us playing, and generally we kept our shape well down the middle of the pitch.

Hendrick - 6 - Aside from a mad minute when he twice gave the ball away ridiculously cheaply, he was pretty good as we kept our shape OK through the middle of the pitch.

Lennon - 5 - The one time he got the ball in the sort of position that he wants it, he beat his defender and got a dangerous cross aside. Its partly his fault he only found himself in that position once, but only partly. He does look a bit low on confidence though.

JBG - 5 - three decent opportunities came his way - one after 10 minutes that he sliced wide, a free kick after 70 minutes or so, and a superb chance on his right foot with about 10 minutes to go, plus another half chance after about 5 minutes when he dithered rather than get a right foot shot away - and on all four occasions he lacked all semblance of conviction. That's really our problem at the moment and he's a prime example. But generally tried to get involved and defended pretty diligently.

Vokes - 5 - Won a bit in the air and tried to link the game up, but the quality into him wasn't really there, and he didn't have the runners to allow us to mx the game up.

Barnes - 4 - Started OK, but he'd ceased to be effective well before he came off, and against 3 centre backs the Vokes/Barnes partnership playing down the middle of the pitch looks a bit predictable and ponderous.

Vydra - 6 - Looked lively, ran the channels effectively to stretch the 3 centre backs down the sides, and showed a direct threat and a bit more confidence than many of his teammates. I know he's still getting up to match sharpness, but hopefully he's ready to start next week because he gave us a different dimension.

Wood - 5 - Didn't really have a sniff, but didn't do lots wrong.

This team hasn't become a bad team overnight, and it is still early days. 5 games is still not really a form guide, and it is still worth remembering that the first two games of the season featured excellent first half performances which should have seen us lead at half time. Had we win one of them, and the conversation is very different now. I appreciate that's an "if", but it does underscore that at this stage of the season the gap between doom and gloom and unremarkable mediocrity is pretty minimal. It can turn around quickly, and the next 3 games provide a huge opportunity to get our season up and running. They're the first sequence of games this season when, looking at the table and performances so far this season, you'd expect us to pick up points and wins, and if we can get 5 or 6 points everything will look very different.

But - at the minute too many players look a bit low on form and confidence and in need of an arm around the shoulder. They'll get that from Dyche, but I detect a worrying fatalism and sense of discontent from many fans that could really, really backfire. We need as much positivity around the crowd as we can muster. The difference between today and, say, Watford away last season was (leaving aside the fact that Wolves are a significantly better team than Watford were) luck, confidence and belief, plain and simple. We've got to stick in there and stick with the team and the players. They're all trying, and they've all shown in the last 13 months that they're really good players.
These 3 users liked this post: Cubanclaret Ashingtonclaret46 CleggHall

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:15 pm

Not a bad team overnight? Let’s just say we haven’t been a particularly good team in 2018

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Papabendi wrote:Not a bad team overnight? Let’s just say we haven’t been a particularly good team in 2018
Not particularly good, but not bad either. And they were plenty good enough before then.

They weren't as good as they suggested in the glory days of autumn 2017, but they're also nothing like as bad as they're being perceived as showing themselves to be now.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:43 pm

“But our goal was not peppered with plausible goalscoring shots”

What ?
Their substitute should have scored a hat trick.
They tore us apart down both wings and through the middle.
Hart made a reaction save that few keepers could have made.
We cleared I don’t know how many off the line.

We got well and truly battered.

In future editions of the dictionary of footballing terminology under the terms “peppering their goal” it will reference Wolves v Burnley 16th September 2018 !
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

DomBFC1882
Been Liked: 462 times
Has Liked: 2398 times

Post by DomBFC1882 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm sure some people were at a different game

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Why bother with stats when you've got hyperbole.

Give it 24 hours on here and it will 98% Wolves possession, 467 shots on target and our transfer window was the worst ever.

Don't ever change UTB

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 pm

TVC15 wrote:“But our goal was not peppered with plausible goalscoring shots”

What ?
Their substitute should have scored a hat trick.
They tore us apart down both wings and through the middle.
Hart made a reaction save that few keepers could have made.
We cleared I don’t know how many off the line.

We got well and truly battered.

In future editions of the dictionary of footballing terminology under the terms “peppering their goal” it will reference Wolves v Burnley 16th September 2018 !
Im sorry, Joe Hart did not make any save - reaction or otherwise - no other keeper would have made. That's judt false.

I fully accept they could and should have scored a second goal when we left gaps and chased the game, but proportion is needed.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:58 pm

claretspice wrote:Not particularly good, but not bad either. And they were plenty good enough before then.

They weren't as good as they suggested in the glory days of autumn 2017, but they're also nothing like as bad as they're being perceived as showing themselves to be now.
We are as good or bad as our results , so bad then

Joeandy1920
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Post by Joeandy1920 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Hart 8
Bardsley 3
Tarky 7
Mee 5
Taylor 5
Lennon 4
Cork 4
Hendrick 3
JBG 4
Barnes 3
Vokes 4

Vydra 6

Can it get any worse?

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Hart’s save - I thought it was magnificent. Going the other way, used his incredibly strong core to stabilise himself, and got a strong arm to it, knocking it well clear. It was a 20% save in the Premier League, 80% of those shots are goals. Hart is a step up from the excellence we had already.

Very odd that some people are downplaying this while encouraging us to be positive overall. The reality is that Wolves had 30 shots and I bet you very rarely see promoted sides ever having 30 shots in this league, to put a brave spin on that is positivity to the point of delusion.

Saying that though I do believe we will stay up. There are worse sides, and we have players due to return.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:21 pm

The most worrying thing for me is not 30 shots (we’ve conceded high numbers in these stats before) but the quality of chances / openings Wolves had.

ChristheViking
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by ChristheViking » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Hart 8
Bardsley 3 - I was scratching my head before the game as to how he was ahead of Lowton and he expertly justified every concern.
Tarks 6
Mee 5
Taylor 4

JBG - 5
Hendrick 6
Cork 4
Lennon 3 - enough is enough. Needs an extended run out of this team.

Vokes - 4
Barnes - 4

Vydra - 7

A shambles from start to finish. Here’s how I see the tactics. Mee/Tarks knock it to midfield who knock it back. Mee/Tarks then launch 60 yard passes to their defence. Repeat ad infinitum. It’s appalling.

We play two wingers and don’t use them although Lennon shouldn’t be in to begin with with. You have to feel sorry for whoever is up front - there’s zero service.

What was the plan today? We’ve just given that game. I’m so annoyed. Their keeper could have had a deckchair for most of that game.

Dyche must make changes. Bardsley & Lennon must be dropped. If the plan remains for Mee and/or Tarks to just boot it then don’t play wingers at all and put another midfielder or centre-half in. We don’t appear to have an identity, a plan, and the body language is not good.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:27 pm

Hart 9
Bardsley 4
Taylor 4
Mee 5
Tarkowski 4
Cork 4
Lennon 4
Hendrick 5
Gudmundsson 5
Barnes 4
Vokes 4

Poor stuff. The difference at which now two newly promoted teams have moved the ball around compared to us is frightening. At the moment we seem to be lacking in every area that has made us successful. We look stale and predictable. Let’s hope for a reaction on Saturday.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:30 pm

Hart 8
Bardsley 3 - Sorry Sean but what the f*** are you thinking?
Tarkowski - 6
Mee - 7*
Taylor - 5
Lennon 3 - The fact he is 1. Still starting 2. No one to sub him, shows what a shambles of a transfer window we had.
Hendrick 6 - Tidy
Cork 4 - Got treacle on his boots
JBG 5 - Nowhere near his best
Vokes 5
Barnes 3 - Offered quite literally nothing.

Vydra 7 - Has to start next week. Either with Vokes or Wood.

Dyche 3 - Wrong team, wrong strikers, wrong tactics. Crap.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Hart 9
Bardsley 4
Taylor 4
Mee 5
Tarkowski 4
Cork 4
Lennon 4
Hendrick 5
Gudmundsson 5
Barnes 4
Vokes 4

Poor stuff. The difference at which now two newly promoted teams have moved the ball around compared to us is frightening. At the moment we seem to be lacking in every area that has made us successful. We look stale and predictable. Let’s hope for a reaction on Saturday.
It's alarming both newly promoted sides have turned us over so easily,not only where we outplayed we where outfought,that is the really worrying aspect,where has the strong jaw gone. :?

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:57 pm

claretspice wrote:Im sorry, Joe Hart did not make any save - reaction or otherwise - no other keeper would have made. That's judt false.

I fully accept they could and should have scored a second goal when we left gaps and chased the game, but proportion is needed.
You say that but quite possibly the most disproportionate set of posts I've read for a long time.
This user liked this post: Wo Didi

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:27 pm

claretspice wrote:Im sorry, Joe Hart did not make any save - reaction or otherwise - no other keeper would have made. That's judt false.

Sorry but it can’t be “false” just because we disagree. My opinion is that was not a run of the mill save and the commentators agreed.

As for them should have scored a second just because we left gaps and chased the game - sorry but that is false. They should have scored a second (and a lot more) at a number of points in the game. In the second half for example we carelessly lost the ball in our own half on numerous occasions through a combination of awful passing, wrong decisions and good pressing from Wolves. We were not chasing the game - we were just playing badly. When they took the ball of us time and time again they just cut through us easily which led to many many clear cut chances and last ditch desperate defending.

I have defended Dyche and the team a lot on this forum - and still do. I am not calling for changes or panic or anything drastic. I disagree with current team selection but most fans do. Does not mean I am right and obviously none of us know the full details of what is happening with individual players, training, injuries etc.
But today we got well and truly outplayed and 5-0 would not have been an unfair score. It’s rare that you hear a player hold their hands up and say we got “smashed” as Joe Hart did after the game. That does not sound like someone saying we could have conceded a second when we were pushing for an equaliser and chasing the game.

whiffa
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 2560 times

Post by whiffa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:32 pm

Hart 9
Bardsley 5
Tarkowski 6
Mee 6
Taylor 3 - absolutely USELESS today. Did someone bribe him to throw the match?
Lennon 4 - Looks absolutely nackered before we even kick off
Hendrick 6
Cork 5 - looked seriously unfit today
JBG 7 - tried but had no midfield with him or support behind him
Barnes 4
Vokes 6

Vydra 6
Wood 4 - did he play 20mins? I didn't notice.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:41 pm

Hart 8 - the one player who looked PL class
Bardsley 4 - Did he have something he needed to get to in Birmingham for 3.30? Concerted effort to get sent off.
Takowski 5 - Not at his best currently
Mee 5 - There was one particular incident in the first half where he was just constantly 5 yards from anything to do with the move Wolves were stringing together. Looks very fallible this season all of a sudden.
Taylor 3 - Really not very good and I'd ask whether he will be good enough for this league any time soon. How bad must Ward be at the minute?
Lennon 4 - made one of our few genuine half opportunities with quick feet in the first half but no, not anywhere near
Cork 5 - best of a not very good bunch in the middle
Hendrick 3 - has none of the following "in his locker"; pass, tackle, block - so much for theory that it's being played out of position causing the problems
Gudmundsson 4 - has really fallen away from the player he looked like he might be
Barnes 4 - oh dear, that was bad
Vokes 4 - as was that

Vydra 6 - looked like he might get us a totally undeserved point
Wood 5 - by that stage it was "meh... whatever"

Marty Dobson
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Post by Marty Dobson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:47 pm

Harte 9
Bardsley 4
Mee 7
Tarks 8
Taylor 5
Gudmonson 5
Hendrick 5
Cork 5
Lenton 4
Vokes 7
Barnes 5
My opinion...
We could have drawn that game...that tells you how 'good' wolves are..we could also have been beaten 6 nil..that tells you how poor we were..Joe Harte was outstanding and our central defenders were exceptional defensively especially in the 1st half. At half time I was optimistic enough feeling we had weathered the storm and we might push on in the 2nd. Sadly it never happened.Wolves played a quick tempo passing game and then used a diagonal ball all day from right to left exposing Taylor with 2 against 1 when they went forward.it became embarrassing as the game wore on how much space they had on their right... They have huge flaws however that will be exploited ..Vokes won a lot of ball and knocked it down into space but usually we had no one there.. a clever side will exploit that...they also left acres of space on the left hand side of their defence which we never exploited fully, note the chance we had late on ...they defended narrowly knowing we would play high ball up the middle or to Taylor on the left and we never got crosses in from the end line.

I'm off to bed now to dream of better days? The insert in todays Wolves match programme featuring 'Claret and Blue News' from november 1975 was outstanding in that it brought back so many happy memories from another golden era.

Claretto
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Claretto » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:12 am

Claretspice losing the plot is a bad sign!

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:39 am

Hart made one excellent save that most wouldn't have made, the rest were what a premier league goalkeeper would expect to save.

That is what Spice is saying.

Thats it.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:06 am

No he isn’t LC
Think he said it was a save he should have made

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 am

Hart 9 Kept us in it with some good saves
Bardsley 4 Not good and time for a swap again
Tarks 7 Some good clearances and blocks
Mee 5 Looking a shade of the player of the last few seasons. Maybe time for a spell on the bench.
Taylor 5 Looks short of confidence. Has the quality but time for Ward to take the shirt back again.
JBG 5 An off day. Tackled back and tried to get things going but not his day.
Cork 5 Anonymous
Hendrick 6 Showed for the ball but seems like a deer in the headlights at times.
Lennon 4 one run and cross in the first half then disappeared for the rest of the game.
Vokes 5 really wanted him in the team. Won some headers but not much for him to feed off.
Barnes 4 Shocking. None of his usual bullying and harrying.

Vydra 5 Not an easy game to come into and never really got going.
Wood 4 Seems way of the required pace at the moment. Not strong enough, quick enough or good enough control. Will never score without any supply though TBF.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 am

Argh, he's saying that despite all the attempts, Wolves didn't test us that often.

Surely the point is that people using the amount of chances as a stick to beat us with are also ignoring that we stopped all but one of them going in the net?

strayclaret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by strayclaret » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:58 am

Hart 9
Bardsley 4
Taylor 5
Tarkowski 6
Mee 6
Lennon 4
Gudmundsson 5
Hendrick 5
Cork 5
Barnes 5
Vokes 5

Vydra 6
Wood 5
Abysmal, the honeymoon is over. :|

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:08 am

The equivalent last season was Newcastle away (they were Championship title holders too, and actually scored more than Wolves in their title season).

I think they had 12 attempts against us. Wolves 30. A huge difference. As many have pointed out, some of those were more “in the danger zone” than many shots we usually concede.

We can dress it up however we want, I would suggest brutal honesty of the type Hart showed. By all means stay loyal to the players, call it a bad day at the office, but let us not hide in these ratings and comments from saying it was diabolical, because it was.

EDIT: as usual we are guilty of not assessing the opposition tactically. Doherty and Jonny their wing backs had 104 touches, most in our half. They ran amok. Dyche probably got it wrong, playing our two slowest strikers meaning their three centre halves were never in danger of being exposed through the wide gaps while the wing backs pushed on, massively outnumbering our midfield. It doesn't help that our wingers aren't Arfield-esque in nullifying the wing backs, and Dyche chose to let Arfield and Marney go despite not replacing them. We suddenly look lightweight away. Our ratings have to be seen in the perspective of this and us being tactically rolled over. I have some sympathy for the players but Sean has probably brought it on himself.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:56 am

i wouldn't pay too much attention to the 30 shots stat; the vast majority were garbage.

the only two decent efforts they had produced a top save from hart and a goal - lovely, perfectly placed finish that one.

we were poor, no getting away from that, but its still early days. we played well at southampton and well against watford bar that mad 15 mins. we were outclassed by an excellent man united and we were beaten away at two promoted sides who have spent fortunes - both were always going to be very difficult games.

we need a spark of confidence from somewhere and our best players to be playing. far too early to get too worried though, it'll turn.

Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by Goddy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Hart 8
Bardsley 3
Taylor 4
Tarkowski 7
Mee 7
Lennon 3
Gudmundsson 6
Hendrick 5
Cork 5
Barnes 4
Vokes 5

Vydra 6
Wood 4

That team really isn't that far off the same team as last season. It can only be down to (lack of) confidence and/or the fact that everyone else we've played so far, has upped the ante i.e. they are overperforming.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:23 pm

From TV:

Hart- 9 right place at the right time.
Bardsley- 3 Weak link and looked as though Wolves new it ?
Tarky- 7
Mee- 7
Taylor- 4
Lennon- 5
Hendrick- 5
Cork- 5
JBG- 7
Vokes- 5
Barnes- 5

Wood- 4
Vydra- 5 looks like he will blossom in the right roll/position one day.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:28 pm

TVC15 wrote:No he isn’t LC
Think he said it was a save he should have made
Lancaster is putting my point forwards far better than I am. The key point is that goal aside, Hart was only really extended once. For what it is worth, I did think that was a very good save from Hart - but he's a very good goalkeeper, which is why we signed him. My personal view is that he'd have been very disappointed if he'd not saved it, which isn't to say it was run-of-the-mill. If others give him more credit, then fair play, perhaps I'm being unkind, but I certainly think its OTT to present it as a wonder save that he had no right to make, which is the point I made last night.

Even if it is, it's the only save of its type that Hart made in 90 minutes, and certainly before they got ahead aside from that chance and routine saves for Hart, they only missed one really good chance - when Bardsley messed up. As Quoon says, a good number of the 30 shots were basically rugby conversions from 30 yards that sailed over the crossbar. I don't dispute they exploited gaps well later on, or that our poor passing gave the ball away on at least 3 occasions when we looked wide open as a result.

But for long periods - particularly before they scored- we kept Wolves broadly at arms length in much the same fashion we did away from home last season. The difference was a bit of quality (missing Defour and Brady) and a bit of confidence (which is in turn undermining the quality of our other players). We can cope without one or the other, but not both. That's why we're struggling a bit at the minute, and its why we all need to take a deep breath and stick together.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Hart 8
Bardsley 3
Tarkowski 7
Mee 6
Taylor 3
Lennon 3
Cork 4
Hendrick 5
Gudmundsson 4
Vokes 5
Barnes 3

Vydra 6

We were very lucky to come away from that with just a 1-0 defeat, because that ought to have been a right pasting.