Our Throw-ins

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
not waving
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Our Throw-ins

Post by not waving » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:41 am

There's usually a cheer when we win a throw-in. It's an opportunity for us to retain or regain possession. And in a game like yesterday, we could have done with more possession. We must have 15-20 per game.
But we seem to lack imagination. Huddersfield's throw-ins were sharp and fast. We took ages. It's normally Lowton or Taylor and it's normally only Cork that's trying to make himself available. 90% of the time it's thrown up the line and most of the time we give away possession.
Where is our imagination, the speed of thought, the willingness to make himself available? I'm not advocating towels, hair-dryers or flannelette shirts that seem to go with a long throw. Just the chance to keep the bloody ball.

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Re: Our Throw-ins

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:09 pm

We have been crap at throw ins for the last ten years. Yesterday, towards the end of the game, Taylor had the ball ready to throw and the three nearest players all turned their backs to him,totally disinterested.

not waving

Post by not waving » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:14 pm

In contrast, the Huddersfield left back picked up the ball for a throw deep in his own half and had two options within seconds, threw to the nearest who sprayed the ball across the back line and started a move down the other wing. That move developed from the throw and was threatening us within 15 seconds. Lowton would still be holding the ball.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:16 pm

agree...I moan every game that our thow-in advantage is nearly always given-up to the opposition! :roll:

perhaps we could borrow Licerpools throw-in coach one training session each week! (serious suggestion!)

'...After studying his team’s displays last year, Klopp felt his players squandered possession too often from throw-ons. The appointment was geared to rectify that.

Rather than encouraging a long-throw, Gronnemark has been advising on the most effective way of using the restart to trigger attacks, and also how to avoid putting team mates under pressure when in their own half...'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... liverpool/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claretspice
Been Liked: 2835 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:29 pm

I tend to agree with this point, and it was definitely frustrating yesterday, so I was going to write something which completely agreed with the OP.

But then I realised that we scored only last week from a very quickly taken throw-in, so perhaps its not completely fair.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:31 pm

The weird thing is that it's not a "Dyche" thing. It's like it's part of the club's DNA to be crap at throw-ins; has been for years.
This user liked this post: morpheus2

not waving

Post by not waving » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:32 pm

So...we can do it when we want to...and effectively. There must be loads of examples.........erm.......erm.....

Flat Stanley
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by Flat Stanley » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:35 pm

I was amazed by the quickly taken throw in the Cardiff game that lead to the goal. It is something we hardly ever do and should do much more often. Don't know if it is deliberate to slow the game, give us a breather and get organized again but I agree we waste possession from throw ins far too often.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:25 pm

The goal at Cardiff was only on because of Westwoods run. We don't see enough of that.
Sheffield Wednesday were experts at throwing it up the line, in the 60s. The object being that if your guy stays inside the ball the defender can only head it out again and progress was made.
I firmly believe more could be made of the fact you can’t be offside from a throw in. If you stand somebody on their deadball line he has to be marked. This enables moves to develop that could possibly lead to an offside but for that marker.
If he isn’t picked up you throw him the ball for an early cross whereby everybody is onside.

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1357 times
Has Liked: 2943 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Trippier was quite good at throw-ins.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6971 times
Has Liked: 1487 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:36 pm

We’re too slow to take them which allows the other team to get set, and teams know that if they get tight to our players then we will give away possession. Also, our throw accuracy is poor and often makes things difficult for the receiver.

On the flip side, we seem to let other teams take throw ins without putting any pressure on the receivers.

piston broke
Been Liked: 1448 times
Has Liked: 1229 times

Post by piston broke » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:53 pm

Rileybobs wrote:On the flip side, we seem to let other teams take throw ins without putting any pressure on the receivers.
And folk moan we don’t entertain.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 468 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by CaptJohn » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:23 pm

Strangely enough I was thinking about how often we score from a quickly taken throw in after doing so at Cardiff. Not many spring to mind. The last one I can think of was during the Coyle era when we beat Arsenal at home in the League Cup. Chris Eagles (Yes him) threw quickly to Kev Macdonald (Yes him) and he went on to score.
Can any one with a better memory than me think of any more :?:
This user liked this post: morpheus2