Medication for High Blood Pressure

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Elder statesman
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Medication for High Blood Pressure

Post by Elder statesman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Following on from the statins thread, and not wanting to hijack it, does anyone take medication for High Blood Pressure? I'm on Lisiniprol 10mg. Over the last 12 months I have had problems with severe sweating and struggling to get my breath when climbing hills. I have walked every day for years and I was very fit. Now I'm soaked through after walking a short distance. I don't like looking medical stuff up on line but was really frustrated yesterday so looked up 'severe sweating'. There was a link to Lisiniprol. Apparently, it's one of the side effects. Printed details out and seeing gp this week. I wondered if anyone took a different medication that didn't have side effects for them. Thanks in advance. I've stopped the statins too, though gp wasn't in favour.

A.Claret.Fan
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Re: Medication for High Blood Pressure

Post by A.Claret.Fan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:22 pm

I take 10mg Ramipril medication. No side effects so far, it's only been 6 months though.

Elder statesman

Post by Elder statesman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:32 pm

A.Claret.Fan wrote:I take 10mg Ramipril medication. No side effects so far, it's only been 6 months though.
Thanks acf

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Im on Ramapril too, been taking them for about 6 years, no side effects apart from the whites of my eyes are slightly yellow, only noticeable if you look very closely, dosnt bother me at all, i think you did right to give up the statins Elder, too many pros and cons. Get your GP to prescribe Ramapril, its worth a try.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32235 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:37 pm

I posted on the other thread.

Started on Almodopine in December 2008 but had side effects and my nurse switched me to Ramapril. I take on 5mg per day and have done since Feb 2009. No side effects and my blood pressure has been fine since.

smudge
Been Liked: 51 times
Has Liked: 140 times

Post by smudge » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Been taking medication for high blood pressure for many years now 5mg ramapril 5mg almodopine also take a statin no noticeable side affects.
Still plodding along at 75 so keep taking the tablets.

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 305 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Having been a long time sufferer I have had quite a few tablets and combinations. I now take three after quite a bit of experimentation and am well controlled - they are not perfect and I have to take them about three hours before exercise or get get sweating as you have described which, as I check my BP, is because some mornings I get a BP low off them. BP drugs don't work the same on everybody and always check the dosing instructions - some have a very quick uptake if you eat fats within an hour of taking them for example.

There are a lot of choices for BP meds. and your GP should eventually work out a regime that suits you. It took me 2 yrs. of swapping.

There is a bit of a gung ho don't take drugs it's a conspiracy attitude on here which needs treating with caution. My aunt died at 47 through a series of minor strokes caused by high blood pressure with very few symptoms and before medication was available - she'd have been glad of it.

My advice would be to own your problem - it's the boss. Monitor your blood pressure regularly and record it, compare the times you take the drugs and when you feel the symptoms you described. You should find your GP is aware of these problems and will offer alternatives keep going back till you are happy.

It's difficult to know what to do with so much contradictory information but be sure to make your own decisions carefully and not get too caught up with the anti drug keyboard warriors. The one's who wished they had chosen differently sadly aren't here to take part in the debate.
These 2 users liked this post: smudge moaninclaret

Elder statesman

Post by Elder statesman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:10 pm

Many thanks for the help. Going to ask my gp to try me on the ramapril.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2143 times
Has Liked: 3060 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:19 pm

I'm on Triplixam which is a mix of 3 including Ramapril. Not sure if its avaialble there, or under a different name but its a cracking tablet. Very small and comes in a little tub which makes it very easy to take out and about when away from home

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:25 pm

5mg of Ramipril for me too with no side effects for 6 years now.

Good enough to permit me to play walking football anyway - doesn't help with the
lack of breath or tired muscles though :lol: :lol:

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:45 pm

2 5 mg Indapamide daily for past 3 years or so for hypertension.it is a diuretic so can make you pee perhaps more frequently than usual in some cases.But if you read the possible side effects that are listed on accompanying leaflet with any sort of medication it will list every ailment known to mankind .lol
This user liked this post: Leisure

Paranoid
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 198 times

Post by Paranoid » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Started on amlodipine approx. 2 years ago, went back to GP as could hardly see my shoes for swollen ankles at end of day! Changed to losartan and had no issues since.

Elder statesman

Post by Elder statesman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:22 pm

Thanks all

charlyt
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by charlyt » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:32 pm

I'm on 75mg of Irbesartan.
The kidney consultant doubled the dose to 150mg which dropped my BP to a dangerously low level.
Another told me to divide the tablet and take one half in the morning and one half before bed.
That helped but my BP remained low, so I now have reverted to just a 75mg morning dose and the readings are normal.
I also take Indapamide which makes me pee like fury all day and with many trips to the loo at night.
Last edited by charlyt on Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2691 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Been on 10mg Lisinopril for last 6 years.....not as massively effective as I'd like in terms of blood pressure...and firm buoyant stools are now but a distant memory.....but at least I'm still here :-)

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12357 times

Post by Leisure » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:53 pm

[quote="fatboy47") and firm buoyant stools are now but a distant memory.....[/quote]

:D :D :D

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:53 pm

Some interesting stuff on this and the other thread.
I had a heart attack December 2014 and have been on a few tablets ever since, including Atorvastatin [80 mg], aspirin and Lisinopril [20 mg] [plus 2 others].

I had one stent fitted after 6 days in a busy hospital, and was then let free.
In the non-invasive procedure the surgeon showed me on a screen the artery totally blocked by various bits of cr**, which should not have been there.
That caused the heart attack. One hour later the whole area was totally cleaned out, I could see on the screen - the surgeon said he was 'pleased with his work..'

I have had all sorts of side effects [usually small ones] but not always easy to estimate which tablet was causing which side effect.
I just take the tablets, I don't try and second guess the highly qualified doctor's - lots of people lying in cemeteries who tried that.
My prescription has been tweaked several times, and I feel absolutely fine.

To me, some of the 'anti-doctor' stuff on this thread and the other one, from 'experts' is barely believable...then again I've seen plenty of the same whenever 'teachers' are mentioned on here.

I am not that keen on taking tablets every day, but I will do it until the doctor's tell me different.

2 tips - always carry a few aspirins in your wallet in case of an emergency.
EVERYONE should get their blood pressure checked regularly as there are no signs [eg. pain] that it is high.
These 3 users liked this post: Leisure smudge Paul Waine

lancastrian
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by lancastrian » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:12 pm

I have been on Lercandipine HCI 10 mg for about three years now. No problems so far.

Elder statesman

Post by Elder statesman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Many thanks. There's some crap on this site at times, but fortunately, balanced by some useful info and helpful posts. Seems there's a lot of us with similar problems. Thanks again.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Amlodipine 10mg for about 3 years now and no problems really, they work for me and I would sooner control it with medication than not.

Seen someone mention swollen ankles and that's interesting because I have always had a 'finely turned ankle' but did notice a bit of swelling a while back. An increase of physical activity soon got rid of it though,

ArnoldBenson
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by ArnoldBenson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Initially put on 10mm amlodipine 4 years ago. Ankles ballooned. Changed to 5mm amlodipine and 2.5mm ramipril. Occasional slight ankle swelling but generally ok. Blood pressure not been a problem at checkups. Ramipril caused a silly tickly cough for a while, apparently common, but that is now rarely a problem.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:03 pm

My wife spent a long while in Blackburn hospital during the summer recovering after breaking 11 ribs (another story). Her injuries caused her to have low blood pressure of which she received medication. When she was discharged she had a carrier bag full of drugs that she took religiously. She discovered about two weeks after that she had mistakenly been given some other woman's meds for HIGH blood pressure! Her GP told her that this mix up could have been fatal.

So take care to check your prescriptions for blood pressure fellow clarets.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:21 pm

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/high-bloo ... treatment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best not tinkering really & see your own GP, even though can’t fault any advice given, medicines are unique in terms of age,& other health conditions & critically side effects & dosage plays a part. Good luck with a overall combination professionally prescribed.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Swollen ankles can be an indication of Heart Failure, so always best to get it checked out .