New £50 note will feature a scientist

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Re: New £50 note will feature a scientist

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:49 am

dsr wrote:I'd go for Edward Jenner. By discovering the smallpox vaccine he essentially discovered the principle of vaccination. Which added, what, 20 years on average to our lives?
This is a decent shout. It also pisses off the anti-vaxxers which is never a bad thing.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:32 pm

Bosscat wrote:We had a Miss Dimry teaching Maths at Settle High School in the early 70's ... she always wore very short skirts.... more dropped pens/pencils in that class than any other ;)
There you go. Sounds like an absolute shoe in for the new tenner! She's got my vote.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:40 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Wait! Tired, boring, predictable and gob smackingly unoriginal. Just like his posts!

Its Eddie!

How long before another thread gets deleted cos of his anger problems!? :lol:

Evensteddieeddie- the poster boy for a mid life crisis.....

Wow, touchy, touchy.
You have to admit, Dingo, your ******-up Friday rants are pretty spectacular on an increasingly regular basis. We're on a thread regarding a scientist featuring on the the £50 note and you suddenly launch into some hilarious yet weird, anti-London, anti - Remain tantrum.

The Dingo - the poster boy for the terminally anxious and jealous....
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:51 pm

Question , was in the UK a couple of weeks ago now i saw the new 5 and 10s but when is there a new 20 coming on line ?

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:32 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:the presence of an exception applying to a specific case establishes ("proves") that a general rule exists.

As for the description of my fellow Brexiteers. Stop the childish pretence it's how I view us. Start acknowledging it's how you and your chums in the metropolitan bubble of enlightenment and sophistication see us. A place where, given your inability to work out what ' the exception that proves the rule ' means, combined with a lack of understanding of sarcasm, kind of makes you something of an outsider!

Enjoy your, bubble dwelling, home game.
No, the exception proves that a rule doesn't exist, that's how science works. It's pretty entertaining how you've hung your hat on a phrase you don't understand though.

I see you've skipped explaining why suggesting hugely influential scientists such as Turing or Lovelace is virtue signalling, I was looking forward to your attempt to rationalise that. You've possibly realised that it would be a bit ironic denouncing Lovelace on a computer...

Nope, you might want to think that's how I view brexiteers to make yourself feel better but you won't find a single shred of evidence to support your insinuation, it's just another thing you've made up. I am pretty amused that you view Tottenham as the metropolitan bubble of enlightenment and sophistication, I don't think many others view it like that to be honest.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:52 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:the presence of an exception applying to a specific case establishes ("proves") that a general rule exists.
"proves" in that sense means "tests". If you have a general rule, and then you find an exception, the exception tests whether the rule does work in general or whether it's a false premise.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:03 am

dsr wrote:"proves" in that sense means "tests". If you have a general rule, and then you find an exception, the exception tests whether the rule does work in general or whether it's a false premise.
You've just reworded what has already been said.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:14 am

FactualFrank wrote:You've just reworded what has already been said.
So I have.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:39 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:Wow, touchy, touchy.
You have to admit, Dingo, your ******-up Friday rants are pretty spectacular on an increasingly regular basis. We're on a thread regarding a scientist featuring on the the £50 note and you suddenly launch into some hilarious yet weird, anti-London, anti - Remain tantrum.

The Dingo - the poster boy for the terminally anxious and jealous....
:lol: :lol:

Even copying the poster boy gag! Very original Eddie!

When it comes to retorts you really have nothing do you :lol: Hence the tiresome "you're drunk Ringo". Void of anything original. But I suppose as long as you keep trotting that line out, it means that the thread doesnt get deleted. While you're re-using the 1 dimensional attempt at banter, with me, at least you're not going to your usual default position of weirdly bringing in sexual organs, bodily fluids, holidays or crass and inappropriate comments about recently deceased people. Which inevitably sees yet another thread disappear!

So fill your boots with the "you're rat arsed again" Eddie, as you clearly think you're yanking my chain! It amuses me knowing while you're doing that, at least the thread is saved as it acts like a filter for your usual bile :D

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:18 am

aggi wrote:No, the exception proves that a rule doesn't exist, that's how science works. It's pretty entertaining how you've hung your hat on a phrase you don't understand though.

I see you've skipped explaining why suggesting hugely influential scientists such as Turing or Lovelace is virtue signalling, I was looking forward to your attempt to rationalise that. You've possibly realised that it would be a bit ironic denouncing Lovelace on a computer...

Nope, you might want to think that's how I view brexiteers to make yourself feel better but you won't find a single shred of evidence to support your insinuation, it's just another thing you've made up. I am pretty amused that you view Tottenham as the metropolitan bubble of enlightenment and sophistication, I don't think many others view it like that to be honest.
What is more amusing is that I simply posted a one liner about who imo should be on the new note. Yet you took it upon yourself to use a phrase I used on other political themed threads, entirely out of all context, trying to make a sad little point.

There's clearly some debate as to whether the term "the exception that proves the rule" has any validity whatsoever, I concede that. But, given this is a football message board and a thread about the new 50 quid note. Your clearly wanting to go down some mind numbingly boring rabbit hole as to which scientists merit being portrayed on it , is something I really really have no inclination to join you in.

But what your original reply to my first post shows. Is that your unable to resist the impulse to try get one over on me in an thread entirely unrelated to politics, where ive made a single simple remark! Sad, really sad.

Anyway, it's set to be a nice day up in Leave central land, so me and the family are off out soon, making the most of the opportunity. It's not all terraced hhouses, cobbled streets and whippets you know! There really are some occasional nice bits, with people, the majority who despite voting to leave your beloved EU, really can be very pleasant indeed! And there's millions of us too!

Going forward, try not hold a grudge against me cos I voted leave aggi, have a bit of perspective. Leave (I know it's a word that you not fond of) the political stuff on the political threads eh? Resist that reflex. As fellow clarets we both wound up on the losing side yesterday. Dont let the fact that only one of us was on the winning side in the referendum eat away at you.

Enjoy your day in The Bubble aggi.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:43 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote::lol: :lol:

Even copying the poster boy gag! Very original Eddie!

When it comes to retorts you really have nothing do you :lol: Hence the tiresome "you're drunk Ringo". Void of anything original. But I suppose as long as you keep trotting that line out, it means that the thread doesnt get deleted. While you're re-using the 1 dimensional attempt at banter, with me, at least you're not going to your usual default position of weirdly bringing in sexual organs, bodily fluids, holidays or crass and inappropriate comments about recently deceased people. Which inevitably sees yet another thread disappear!

So fill your boots with the "you're rat arsed again" Eddie, as you clearly think you're yanking my chain! It amuses me knowing while you're doing that, at least the thread is saved as it acts like a filter for your usual bile :D
Wow, that "drunk" jibe really gets to you, doesn't it ? I mean, what other reason can there be for you to have yet another of your meltdowns, a meltdown completely unrelated to the topic being discussed ? On a Friday afternoon. Again. :lol:
Talking of "originality", as for the stuff you level at me, well, we've not heard any of that dickhead crap before, have we ? :lol:
Sexual organs, bodily fliuids - what the chuff are you fantasising about this time ? Don't get caught....:lol:
My holidays - i'll indulge you one last time - were talked about in reply to some useless slob - it might have been you or a different one - to show that I like to work to pay for my world-wide travel, other empty, worthless creeps like you prefer to to stay in lovely, old Burnley working - or not - supping too much ale, watching BFC and bullshitting about Brexit all the time...........
Mind you, at least you didn't offer to come looking for me again , home or away, in BIG, DRUNKEN, SHOUTY CAPITALS and lots of :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: s.........I loved the cop-out "if I can be bothered." Huge shock, that one ! Keyboard warriorship at its finest.
My comment about the Chas and Dave act as being pisspoor was neither crass nor inappropriate. I was being honest, I thought - and think - their act was embarrassing garbage, even more so given the fact that the dead guy was supposed to be an accomplished musician. You didn't like what I put, so what if you're a fan of theirs, who the **** cares what you think ?
The stuff you've aimed at aggi above illustrates what a gormless loser you are. You voted on the "winning" side in the referendum and now your life is complete. Wow !
Poor sod.
Sup up and go home.
Last edited by evensteadiereddie on Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:49 pm

Magnus Pyke

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:14 pm

Popular, certainly, but I'm not sure his achievements were as spectacular as others' mentioned on here.

Dike Muff
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Dike Muff » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:43 pm

Johnny Ball. Populariser of Children’s Science.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:47 am

Update - new note revealed today...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48962557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 am

When is the new £20 note being issued?

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:52 am

ClaretTony wrote:When is the new £20 note being issued?
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknot ... pound-note" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:53 am

ClaretTony wrote:When is the new £20 note being issued?
https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknot ... pound-note" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Next year Tony ... J M W Turner on the back

Bah humbug Rick beat me to it :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller ClaretTony

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2874 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Sheldon Cooper
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:11 pm

If this makes the existing £50 illegal tender it will be interesting how those with large stashes of them deal with it.

In 1973 the £5 note was changed and the previous one became unusable. I worked in a bank then and we had a money lender who kept his money in fivers in a safe deposit box. The bank manager was keen to know how much he had in the box and the money lender was equally keen he shouldn't know. He changed the fivers from old to new in stages over a few months.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1099 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:47 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Remember, there's a whole country out there that didn't vote how you and your friends and associates did in the referendum!
I thought it was slightly over 50% that didn't vote how he and his friends voted? And the result was statistically close enough that another referendum on the same day may have given the opposite result?

But hey, why not spoil another thread which has nothing to do with Brexit by turning into a political point scoring contest. :roll: :roll: :roll: :(

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:52 pm

bfcmik wrote:I thought it was slightly over 50% that didn't vote how he and his friends voted? And the result was statistically close enough that another referendum on the same day may have given the opposite result?

But hey, why not spoil another thread which has nothing to do with Brexit by turning into a political point scoring contest. :roll: :roll: :roll: :(
A lot of people are going to lead incredibly empty lives when (if) we finally leave the EU. #obsessed

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Great decision, well deserved.
These 3 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie KateR Claretmatt4

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Wouldn't know a £50 if handed one.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 am

On scientific merit alone there would have been no contest - it would have been Dirac. I think it's a shame we had to choose someone that displays our military outlook again. Sends the wrong message. (Not that I'm all that bothered!)

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:14 am

Think this is a good choice. Shame he wasn’t given a bit more respect at the time. The good thing for me is it’s being done on scientific merit alone.
This user liked this post: If it be your will

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:28 am

Why shouldn't it be ?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:23 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:I'd like Cecilia Payne to be recognised more so i'd like her on the note.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecilia_Payne-Gaposchkin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I thought you might prefer Cynthia Payne
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... vSmnIKSAKf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:32 am

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:42 pm

IanMcL wrote:Wouldn't know a £50 if handed one.
the big £50 tends to offer a clue... :D

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Ringo's not going to be happy with the Bank of England's virtue signalling.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:46 pm

Good choice.
Mine would have been Barnes Wallis or Charles Babbage

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:51 pm

Very good choice, probably saved more lives in WWII than anyone else.

How many of us will actually have a £50 note though?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:16 pm

The Bank of England have also announced that Diane Abbott is to feature on their new £37.65 note.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:27 pm

Claretmatt4 wrote:the big £50 tends to offer a clue... :D
But would it? I have a monopoly note with £50 on it!