REPORT: Four more goals conceded and another defeat

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretdj
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Re: REPORT: Four more goals conceded and another defeat

Post by claretdj » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:15 pm

Burtonwoodclaret wrote:I wrote something like that in my post then deleted it. I can’t really believe SD will instruct his players to launch the ball speculatively on most occasions.
Who have you been watching for the last 6 years? :roll: Launch it is all we do...

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:16 pm

claretdj wrote:Who have you been watching for the last 6 years? :roll: Launch it is all we do...
So the goal we scored at Everton with 24 passes didn't actually exist then?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:18 pm

Spijed wrote:Is it actually possible to finish 7th if players aren't good enough?
Only when it’s Burnley.

claretdj
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by claretdj » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:18 pm

1 goal wow, give me more examples? we play long ball crap as you very well know...

beddie
Been Liked: 1380 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:19 pm

How we miss Joey Barton, one of the best midfielders we've had at seeing a forward pass, add to that some leadership and you can clearly see what we're currently missing.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:20 pm

Spijed wrote:Is it actually possible to finish 7th if players aren't good enough?
Clearly it was. We scraped a lot of results through grit and determination early on and caught others off guard.

We had the perfect opportunity this summer to strengthen the squad and failed spectacularly to do so yet again. That along with the same old duff tactics and no doubt same talks it’s no wonder we are
Struggling. We need some fresh ideas, new tactics and new players rapido.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:22 pm

claretdj wrote:1 goal wow, give me more examples? we play long ball crap as you very well know...
The goals against Bournemouth this season?

Or yesterdays first goal against West Ham?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:23 pm

Right_winger wrote:Clearly it was. We scraped a lot of results through grit and determination early on and caught others off guard.

We had the perfect opportunity this summer to strengthen the squad and failed spectacularly to do so yet again. That along with the same old duff tactics and no doubt same talks it’s no wonder we are
Struggling. We need some fresh ideas, new tactics and new players rapido.
If it's that easy to do what we did why haven't clubs like West Brom, Stoke & many, many more established clubs never achieved 7th place?

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:26 pm

Posts like yours actually make me despair right winger. What kind of peevish, small mindedness makes you have such ill-will to the man who has presided over the last 5 years at BFC...a time when it's fair to say we have over-performed totally miraculously ? This season has been horrible so far but the man has earned trust and the time to sort it out. We were naming pubs after him a dozen or so games ago FFS. He's a blatantly intelligent, determined and honourable individual who will get a grip on what is a difficult situation in such a tough league. A lot of people need to stop crying like babies, grow up and get behind the manager and team.
Last edited by Stalbansclaret on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 4 users liked this post: RammyClaret61 Tall Paul longsidepies fidelcastro

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:46 pm

Spijed wrote:The goals against Bournemouth this season?

Our first goal yesterday came from a punt upfield by Hart. The ball bobbled around a bit before it broke to Westwood who played a decent through ball. Don't think you can use it as an example of us playing football.
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:56 pm

To people saying we need taller players, on MOTD 2 now they are saying now is never a better time to be a smaller player.

The key is as Dyche said moving the ball quickly especially when in transition. We play our best football when moving the ball quickly and it gets the crowd up.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:09 pm

Spijed wrote:So the goal we scored at Everton with 24 passes didn't actually exist then?
Christ, you keep harping back to that Everton goal. It's like the new Orient. It speaks volumes that when you're refering to a passing move that resulted in a goal, you have to harp back to the beginning of last season.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:47 pm

I like the fact that when other clubs make long through balls, they’re perfect passes. When a keeper punts it up field, a couple of passes then goal. It’s clinical. When it’s Burnley, it’s Hoofball. :?

We score lots of good goals, and some longball goals, you need to mix it up, I believe we do.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:03 am

Its worrying.

But its not like those below us are doing any better. The top sides are another level.

The top 5 this season all look capable of winning the league. So we will probably face similar tests from Liverpool and the two north london sides.

Yeaterday was a bad result and (defensive) performance. No doubt about it. But the likes of Southampton, Newcastle, Cardiff, fulham and Huddersfield are fairing no better.

We should definitely have enough to finish above huddersfield and cardiff and probably newcastle.

Hopefuly we stay up and learn lessons from a poor window.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:04 am

Spijed wrote:The goals against Bournemouth this season?

and that's what I find the most frustrating thing. The minute we get the ball down and play we create chances, Southampton away being a prime example - we played some great stuff first half and created enough chances to win 3 games. Second half Saints where a bit better, we panicked and resorted to hoofball and created nothing. Our players are more than capable so I don't understand why we don't play "football"

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:05 am

ClaretTony wrote:I think the problem is in the midfield. Cork has been poor this season, as has Westwood. Personally I’d ditch any notion of playing 4-4-2 for now and get an extra midfield player in. Our two best players yesterday were in the back four. It’s out of touch midfielders that’s bringing the problems.
We have already tried that most of the season with Hendrick so do not get where you are coming from with that comment unless you drop him much deeper.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:10 am

ksrclaret wrote:Haha! The January transfer window

Henri Lansbury isn’t getting a game at Villa, Graham Dorrans is injured and Dale Stephens is a regular for Brighton.

Which one will we target I wonder
Jay Rod according to todays press ;) :cry:

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:13 am

Vegas Claret wrote:and that's what I find the most frustrating thing. The minute we get the ball down and play we create chances, Southampton away being a prime example - we played some great stuff first half and created enough chances to win 3 games. Second half Saints where a bit better, we panicked and resorted to hoofball and created nothing. Our players are more than capable so I don't understand why we don't play "football"
So true

D8BFC
Been Liked: 91 times
Has Liked: 80 times

Post by D8BFC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:15 am

Need to remember we haven’t been playing too great for a while now... 28 points from our last 28 league games.

Keep saying it, but if we end up below any 3 of Cardiff, Huddersfield, Fulham, Southampton and Newcastle - we can have no complaints about going down.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:48 am

Can we please stop living in the past and yes that even means last season.

That was our "Leicester" year when we were half (only half) decent and the majority of teams outside of the top six were simply very poor

Our defence was good but we still could not score goals (averaging less than one goal per game at home!)

It was obvious even then that we had to strengthen midfield and central striker

In the summer we did neither and that major shortcoming is now showing

Nobody expected us to finish 7th last year and nobody expects us to repeat it so stop living in the past and accept reality

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:52 am

jojomk1 wrote:That was our "Leicester" year when we were half (only half) decent and the majority of teams outside of the top six were simply very poor
When you look at the teams currently outside of the top six there isn't any vast improvement this season either.

Everton & Leicester will probably finish 7th & 8th (from 8th & 9th). The likes of Bournemouth & West Ham, perhaps Wolves will take the next few spots. Watford will drop down, like they always do. And the rest, including us, scrapping it out for the bottom places.

Pretty similar to last season.

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:00 am

But your counter argument to any criticism is to suggest we were excellent last year to finish 7th

As for all the teams you mention, all have looked much improved so far this season which is why they are above us

The next thing is you will be suggesting there are poorer sides than us in the league so we won't go down

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:16 am

Time for a change of system. 352 should have been tried ages ago. 442 away is madness. 4411 better. However vydra now clearly not the nr 10 we are desperate for and yet another panic buy. That extra couple of million for Jay must seem like a massive cock up now.

He won't go 352 so if he sticks with 4411 then brady or jbg need to play nr 10.

ewanrob
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by ewanrob » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:36 am

Would be interesting to see the comments if this was still Eddie Howe at the helm, and this was occurring. There is definitely a feeling that SD can do no wrong. You absolutely cannot knock him for what he has achieved, but I am beginning to get a little tired of the post match interviews...mentality energy, physicality... players will remain "resilient, what on earth does it all mean. Right now he is in a bubble, and I don't think he can quite work out what has gone wrong and why.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:14 am

Get shut of this silly 441 or 442, play 451.
Midfield 3 of Defour, Hendrick and Cork with Brady and JBG out wide.
Our midfield is pity fully weak and needs a bolster. Playing 2 strikers is a waste has they don't get any service.
If we don't go 5 across the middle next Saturday, Leicester with their flare and pace (something I wish we had) will cut through us like butter.

It is about time we let Taylor of the leash and let him get forward to attack like a proper wing back, that he his. The lads career is going bacwards at Burnley due to Dyches negative tactics
This user liked this post: tim_noone

jojomk1

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:24 pm

4-5-1 against Leicester is needed (and with Brady and JBG supplying the support not Hendrick)

They will be so up for this game (given recent events) and will come at us full steam from the start.

We have to be ready for this battle otherwise I fear another mauling

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1983 times
Has Liked: 2872 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:45 pm

Whether its a change of tactics or a change of keeper, but since Joe has come in we seem to more concerned with covering spaces than swarming over the man with the ball. Is it a deliberate tactic.... if so it hasn't worked. If its a reaction to instructions coming from behind them (or lack of them) then good as Hart's been we need to see if it changes when we give Tom a chance. Either way we can't afford to worry about bruised prides any longer. At least someone needs a serious talking to. This could be the first real crisis SD has encountered on the field for us. Now we'll see how good SD is once the "crisis" word comes into play.
This user liked this post: Frenchclaret

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Carragher doing a bit on our defensive performance from Saturday.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Carragher doing a bit on our defensive performance from Saturday.
What's he saying?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:21 pm

Bad decisions and effort appearing to be down seems to be the main jist of it.

MattBFC
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by MattBFC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Have we started a game with our main strike force from last season (Wood and Barnes) yet? I can’t recall them starting together and just can’t understand why.

Playing Vokes limits our play going forwards and allows the opposition to defend really high because he can’t run. The midfielders then have to either launch it to an isolated striker who usually has at least 2 markers, pass backwards or lose possession. This is just inviting pressure and I expect the midfielders are getting fed up with it.

I’m sure they’ll all come good under Dyche but at this rate we will struggle to attract quality players in January given the high risk of relegation.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:31 pm

Some players switch off from the same coaching and the same messages every week. All the more reason why long serving managers usually need to constantly look for new blood to keep things fresh and the fact we didn’t this summer could be part of the problem

We need a big physical box to box mifdfielder who can get their foot in. Won’t come cheap.

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:44 am

You’ve not been able to play successful football with 2 starting out and out wingers for decades now. For some reason we keep trying to change history

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:50 am

I don't think the January transfer window will save us. Last summer was arguably the best chance we've ever had to strengthen our squad having finished 7th in the PL and with plenty of cash to spend - if only we'd strengthened sufficiently then. Players are going to look at us as a real risk to go down.

I also believe there's something wrong within the camp. I don't think this is something that can be put right on the training ground. I just don't see the same energy and desire from many players. Sean Dyche has done a fantastic job but I'm struggling to see how he'll turn it around at present. Needless to say, he should be given the time to turn it around but I'm not confident of that happening based on what I've seen so far this season.