When Did Burnley Fans Change?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Chip Harrison
Been Liked: 126 times
Has Liked: 328 times

When Did Burnley Fans Change?

Post by Chip Harrison » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:20 am

My dad always told me that Burnley fans were well known for being the most knowledgeable in the game, supported their team through thick and thin, and appreciated other teams good football.

I read this board from afar, and wonder what on earth has brought about this huge change. Hendrick is crap, Hart out, get rid of the best manager we could possibly have, constant sniping at each other and a general lack of appreciation and understanding of football at a professional level. Whats all that about?

There are some really good posters on here, but the nutters seem to shout loudest.

Be careful what you wish for.
These 31 users liked this post: ClaretTony Buxtonclaret Damo Colburn_Claret LeadBelly COBBLE BFCmaj KateR Dougall Woodleyclaret ClaretCliff Bosscat moaninclaret ten bellies ClaretAL Juan Tanamera Turftalkers mentor Holtyclaret cocotheclaret Clarets4me Stalbansclaret evensteadiereddie k90bfc longsidepies RammyClaret61 Braindead Gnulty SussexDon1inIreland AfloatinClaret LoveCurryPies claret54

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Re: When Did Burnley Fans Change?

Post by Inchy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:23 am

To be fair Hendrick is crap, or at least not worth the money we paid for him. Not his fault we ****** off Brighton with insulting offers for Stephens

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:24 am

Your Dad was probably talking ****.
This user liked this post: RocketLawnChair

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 am

Inchy wrote:To be fair Hendrick is crap
And Inchy proves that Burnley fans must have changed
These 6 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret BFCmaj KateR Dougall fidelcastro SussexDon1inIreland

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 am

Like all Clubs, Burnley FC draw their fans from a cross section of the populace. It’s fatuous for any Club to claim or have attributed to it the possession of the ‘Most Knowledgable About the Game’ Fans.
If you read this Messageboard you’d fairly conclude that we have more than our fair share of head-the-balls, but that is an illusion also.
This user liked this post: Spike

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:27 am

Thers 4 or 5 players that arent good enough for the prem who should be replaced
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 Dyched

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:27 am

Chip Harrison wrote:My dad always told me that Burnley fans were well known for being the most knowledgeable in the game, supported their team through thick and thin, and appreciated other teams good football.
The supporters of all clubs say the same things about their fans. They're all full of ****.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:34 am

When we started handing out 3 year deals to the likes of Vokes.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:39 am

Amazon Prime Effect. People expect everything overnight and If they don't get it they will take to the internet to moan.
No sense of perspective or patience anymore.
These 6 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets BFCmaj NL Claret CJW longsidepies SussexDon1inIreland

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:44 am

Inchy wrote:To be fair Hendrick is crap, or at least not worth the money we paid for him. Not his fault we ****** off Brighton with insulting offers for Stephens
To be even fairer Hendrick is far from crap. In his correct position he is an excellent player for Burnley the sad fact is he rarely gets a decent run in his preferred position.

I can still remember the dogs abuse Marney used to get, yet he left the club a legend.

It was debated before the first promotion under Dyche whether Sam show be let go in the summer (I was of the opinion he would be useful from the bench). He scored 20 goals, and along with Ings got us promoted.

Frustration at results is understandable, but the knee jerk, jerk is the right word, reaction of some posters is pathetic.
These 11 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets tiger76 DomBFC1882 NL Claret Bosscat Spike ten bellies Stalbansclaret evensteadiereddie fidelcastro SussexDon1inIreland

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:45 am

I changed this morning.

Fresh undies today.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:46 am

Its society in general. Bit also dont underestimate the power of social media and mesaageboards.

Most fans I know or meet in the street are well behind the club and manager. Just the internet is a soapbox for people to stand on and either exaggerate their opinion or say things they dont believe or wouldnt say in person.

Skysports news and the like dont help. Theyre even worse than the papers used to be. Wanting managers sacked after 4 defeats (de boer last year) ad bigging u0 managers as the best thing since sliced bread after brief success (phil brown, aidy boothroyd).

This forum in reality is just a bit of fun. Some people take it too seriously (in both extremes).

Look at comment sections on newspaper articles. It could be about a travesty like grenfell, or a relative success story like england getting to a world cup semi. Yet almost all comments will be negative or argumentative.

Burnley fans on here and social media are just a reflection of online culture. Not the real world.
These 5 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret Chip Harrison NL Claret CJW Stalbansclaret

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:49 am

There are some really good posters on here, but the nutters seem to shout loudest.
My gran was fond of the expression "empty vessels make most noise"
It's something that I've often remembered through my life and found it to have a fair bit of truth.

I've more recently seen this expression attributed to Plato in the form ...."an empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers". I don't think my gran read Greek philosophers but she was spot on anyway.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:52 am

We are human beings and therefore prone to the same failings as everyone else.
There is no doubt that fans who have only known the last 10 years have been spoilt. Not wanting to hark on, but those who lived through the **** of the 80's were some of the best football fans around. They followed the team through some horrendous days, yet still turned up each week, and moaned a lot less than some of the fans of today.
We regularly drank in the Centre Spot back then, and we used to meet fans of other clubs who were also in the thralls of failure, and believe me when I say every club has some fantastic fans. There is a bond of mutual respect when you speak to a fan of another club, knowing what they are going through, but seeing that they've travelled hundreds of miles to follow their team.
Happy days
These 2 users liked this post: Chip Harrison SussexDon1inIreland

Chip Harrison

Post by Chip Harrison » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:53 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Your Dad was probably talking ****.
He showed me a couple of his books that actually mentioned how good Burnley fans were and knowledgeable they were.

I think one was by Danny Blanchflower and one might have been Bobby Robson in his playing days.

And thank you for insulting my late father. You have just shown your pathetic, true colours. Quick to slag everyone else, and then an ignorant, pathetic response of your own. You should be ashamed.
These 15 users liked this post: Rowls spadesclaret Buxtonclaret COBBLE KateR DomBFC1882 ClaretCliff Turftalkers mentor Holtyclaret cocotheclaret Clarets4me Stalbansclaret oswyclaret Braindead SussexDon1inIreland

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3747 times
Has Liked: 7519 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:56 am

Rowls wrote:I changed this morning.

Fresh undies today.
Me too!!
First Tuesday of every month, whether needed or not. :P
These 2 users liked this post: bfcmik Rowls

Buxtonclaret

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:58 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Its society in general. Bit also dont underestimate the power of social media and mesaageboards.

Most fans I know or meet in the street are well behind the club and manager. Just the internet is a soapbox for people to stand on and either exaggerate their opinion or say things they dont believe or wouldnt say in person.

Skysports news and the like dont help. Theyre even worse than the papers used to be. Wanting managers sacked after 4 defeats (de boer last year) ad bigging u0 managers as the best thing since sliced bread after brief success (phil brown, aidy boothroyd).

This forum in reality is just a bit of fun. Some people take it too seriously (in both extremes).

Look at comment sections on newspaper articles. It could be about a travesty like grenfell, or a relative success story like england getting to a world cup semi. Yet almost all comments will be negative or argumentative.

Burnley fans on here and social media are just a reflection of online culture. Not the real world.

Some valid points there. 8-)

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:58 am

Rowls wrote:I changed this morning.

Fresh undies today.
I've told you before Rowls, turning them inside out and putting them back on is neither changing them nor fresh undies :roll:

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1099 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Goobs wrote:I've told you before Rowls, turning them inside out and putting them back on is neither changing them nor fresh undies :roll:
That's how to insult someone nicely! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:He showed me a couple of his books that actually mentioned how good Burnley fans were and knowledgeable they were.

I think one was by Danny Blanchflower and one might have been Bobby Robson in his playing days.

And thank you for insulting my late father. You have just shown your pathetic, true colours. Quick to slag everyone else, and then an ignorant, pathetic response of your own. You should be ashamed.
To be fair to your dad he was probably looking through claret tinted glasses. I have been watching Burnley since 1963 and I don't recognise your description. Burnley fans are like any others, in that they support their team, but I have seen on many occasions over the years where individual players have been made scapegoats. I haven't seen too many occasions where Burnley fans were open in their appreciation of the opposition's football. There is nothing special about Burnley fans.
These 3 users liked this post: Imploding Turtle Lord Beamish fidelcastro

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:07 pm

Goobs wrote:I've told you before Rowls, turning them inside out and putting them back on is neither changing them nor fresh undies :roll:
bfcmik wrote:That's how to insult someone nicely! :lol: :lol: :lol:
And this is how to respectfully disagree. :D
This user liked this post: Goobs

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Burnley fans changed as soon as we signed Joe Hart, he's gone from not coming for crosses, to the bad apple in the changing rooms and now despite playing at the highest level doesn't have the rapport with his defenders and cannot organise them.

Hart is the source of all our problems according to some. Those will be desperate for him to make an error and they can bask in the knowledge they were right all along. Sad.

There is an increase in delusion, especially since September.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Colburn_Claret

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:He showed me a couple of his books that actually mentioned how good Burnley fans were and knowledgeable they were.

I wasn't insulting your father. I was saying he was probably talking **** when he told you Burnley fans were more knowledgeable than any other fans. I'm not saying he knew he was talking ****, just that what he was saying was probably bullshit.

I think you need to re-evaluate what is and isn't insulting, maybe then you'll stop being such a touchy ****.
These 2 users liked this post: RocketLawnChair Top Claret

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:26 pm

When I started watching Burnley they chanted Woosh every time Ray Deakin launched it forward and called Joe Jakub 'cabbage'.
I thought Casper out was the managers name.

Always been a passionate lot.
This user liked this post: RocketLawnChair

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:31 pm

ClaretTony wrote:And Inchy proves that Burnley fans must have changed

I haven’t changed. I have always thought he’s crap
This user liked this post: Right_winger

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:My dad always told me that Burnley fans were well known for being the most knowledgeable in the game, supported their team through thick and thin, and appreciated other teams good football.

I read this board from afar, and wonder what on earth has brought about this huge change. Hendrick is crap, Hart out, get rid of the best manager we could possibly have, constant sniping at each other and a general lack of appreciation and understanding of football at a professional level. Whats all that about?

Be careful what you wish for.
To be fair I think your dad was wrong mate. All clubs have arguments among fans (visit other clubs boards and they are the same as here) and all can claim to have knowledgable fans and idiots. Expressing an opinion doesn't make someone wrong or idiotic, it depends on HOW it is said. Fans will always have differing opinions as to who is good and who isn't (I personally think Hendrick is a fine footballer, just being played out of position, as was Mee for a long while until he found his rightful place in the middle). I have been (and continue to be) critical of our strikers because I happen to think we don't have a PL class striker worth the name, but again that's my opinion and others may not agree, it's all part of being a fan.

A classic example is the Man City board (or the one I visit occasionally). They still fall out and argue over the best line up and who should or should not be playing even though they look like they might stroll the league again now they have really taken off (11 goals in two home games ain't bad). They obviously have a different agenda in the sense that they expect to win every game and when they don't, or if they don't bury the opposition by 3 or 4 (depending on who they are playing) they cry like babies and fall out with one another just like we do.

I don't think anybody is right or wrong, it's all down to opinion, however there are those on all forums (including this) who post things to get a reaction without really thinking about what they write, but we learn to either ignore or accept them as we will.
These 2 users liked this post: Chip Harrison joey13

Buxtonclaret

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:When I started watching Burnley they chanted Woosh every time Ray Deakin launched it forward and called Joe Jakub 'cabbage'.
I thought Casper out was the managers name.

Always been a passionate lot.

Can remember being on with my Macon mate in the BL against Wolves and the Longside doing a good Woosh, and their fans chanting back, "what the f***ing hell is wooosh"
:lol:
Happy days. (Except the score)

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:03 pm

It is getting a bit OTT.
However the supporting the club through thick and thin ? Not many on the Turf in the dark old days.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Neither Hendrick or Hart are crap , it runs a lot deeper than that , thought Dyche would have sorted it by now , I’m sure within the next 4 games we will see a marked improvement in overall performances though

Chip Harrison

Post by Chip Harrison » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:07 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:I wasn't insulting your father. I was saying he was probably talking **** when he told you Burnley fans were more knowledgeable than any other fans. I'm not saying he knew he was talking ****, just that what he was saying was probably bullshit.

I think you need to re-evaluate what is and isn't insulting, maybe then you'll stop being such a touchy ****.
I didn't think it was possible for you to look a bigger prick, but you've excelled yourself.
These 5 users liked this post: bluelabrador16 ClaretCliff RingoMcCartney DomBFC1882 gandhisflipflop

RocketLawnChair
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by RocketLawnChair » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:21 pm

It is all to do with the platform that is social media and absolutely nothing to do with knowledge or lack of. Can you imagine the abuse Frank Teasdale would have suffered if social media had been around in them days. Lighting a banger around a football stadium and then turning your back on the pitch now that's really smart isn't it? And then in the evening giving the managers Mrs dogs abuse in the local Chinese! And many more who were only trying their best could be added to the list that have felt the wrath of our previously knowledgeable support. And although at times misguided Frank had Burnley FC at heart. But lets bless multi millionaire Jeff Hendrick's cotton socks because a few don't rate him.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:27 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:I didn't think it was possible for you to look a bigger prick, but you've excelled yourself.
ok. But you're the one who invoked a deceased relative to stoke hatred for a poster who neither knew the guy was dead nor said anything offensive about him in the first place.

At least i know i'm a prick.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Imploding Turtle has changed chip...
He wishes now to be known as Gloria and identifies as an Exploding Tortoise
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

TonbridgeClaret
Been Liked: 193 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by TonbridgeClaret » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Blimey! You're brave having a go at Turtle. He thinks he's right about everything!

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:34 pm

There's always been scapegoats and favourites for some fans.

Not too long back some fans would purr and applaud when Bikey or Stock pinged a 60 yard pass against the Bob Lord stand wall whereas others will get dogs abuse regardless.

One of my favourites was that Gareth Taylor was no good as he could only score with his head.

It does make me laugh when the scapegoat scores or saves a penalty.

It's not just Burnley fans who are fickle. A couple of my favourites - Bury had just signed a young lad from Huddersfield on loan. When he came on as sub on debut he got a good ovation however within minutes someone was shouting "shoot d1ckhead" at him after he dwelled and didn't have a shot. At Man City years back Ged Brannan made his debut after signing from Tranmere, Brannan made an error during the game and someone was heard to shout "it's every fcuking week Brannan".
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

brexit
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:49 pm

This board doesn't represent the majority of Burnley Fans . The opinionated and bigoted neanderthals on this board represent about 0.01% of the clubs supporters who attend matches.
This board is populated by bitter and twisted gammons and, belligerent self publicising zimmers from the BL commie loving old gits who want to drag us back to 70's.
Most of eccentrics on this board refer to the orient game as an almost mystical event (get over it it was a football match), vilify coyle (he got us promoted for the first time and at least his teams were worth watching) and still chant until we play b*stard rovers (don't these morons realise we would have to be relegated to do this).
Real Burnley fans haven't changed they still enjoy going to see the matches home and away but don't waste time on this message board pursuing personal vendettas whilst sitting in their flat in stoops waiting for their dole pay so they can buy some special brew.
But saying that I love this board it keeps me in touch with roots and shows me the depths I could sink too. :D
Last edited by brexit on Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 2 users liked this post: JohnMac SussexDon1inIreland

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:51 pm

I love a thread about our fans.

We are no different to any other set of fans in the country. We moan, whinge, sing, applaud and clap like every other set of football fans that have ever existed.

You only have to look at how some Man United fans describe their torment in the years since Ferguson retired.....FFS they have no idea!

I guarantee you that there will be City fans that don't like Pep and Accy Stanley fans that will be critical of John Coleman if they go on a bad run any time soon.......it's all part of the game!

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Chip Harrison wrote:I didn't think it was possible for you to look a bigger prick, but you've excelled yourself.
. thinks that under the rules of the forum, Chip will be banned any moment.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:59 pm

TonbridgeClaret wrote:Blimey! You're brave having a go at Turtle. He thinks he's right about everything!
He knows nowt about South American Countries though.... thinks Paraguay is a made up place by the BBC :roll:

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:08 pm

I know of at least 2 City fans who have now become bored.

One lad at work said on Sunday he didn't celebrate some of the goals, both have said it has become a bit boring!!

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:58 pm

once all fans could do was see a game and natter about it in the pub or at work, now they can use all manner of forums to discuss football.
That's why topics are done to death, or inane ones chucked into the mix for no good reason, I should say I include my own nonsense in the latter occasionally.
That doesn't make fans from elsewhere any more or less knowledgeable than ours, because they do exactly the same thing, nor were fans from some bygone era more loyal or stoic. Just the times we live in now.

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:57 pm

I find it utterly disappointing that people choose to criticise the very foundation's of the club... That's not the players, Sean Dyche or even the directors. The supporters are those foundations, without supporters this club won't exist.

So those that think slagging off their own supporters displays their loyalty to the club.... think again!.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:01 pm

The only real difference is that now, via social media and particularly phone-ins, every dick on the planet thinks he's an expert. I should know, I'm one of them :D
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Turftalkers mentor
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by Turftalkers mentor » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Chobulous wrote:To be fair to your dad he was probably looking through claret tinted glasses. I have been watching Burnley since 1963 and I don't recognise your description. Burnley fans are like any others, in that they support their team, but I have seen on many occasions over the years where individual players have been made scapegoats. I haven't seen too many occasions where Burnley fans were open in their appreciation of the opposition's football. There is nothing special about Burnley fans.
I've been going on since 1958 but unlike you a newcomer I have learnt how to answer people with some manners. People who know owt about the game do appreciate any good players

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:42 pm

When Social Media became prominent all sorts of weirdo's and trolls appeared. As for this forum I'm not convinced they are all really Burnley fans per se but just enjoy being in the limelight. Thankfully most of the stuff posted on here has little impact, nor represents the views of the majority of Burnley fans.

It's a great forum but gets boring because of all those seeking to enhance their online profile as cyber intellectuals or cyber nobbers!

I regularly speak and drink with 30+ people on matchdays, they are all to a man great supporters. Beside me only 1 other posts on here, he can be very active and is a really decent lad. The others have been Burnley through thick and thin since the 1950's onwards. Were I to go through 85% of the claptrap posted on here I'm sure I would need to find another 30+ people to drink with.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Nothing changed ,we have always had optimists and pessimists in equal measure.Fans who stay till the last second when we are getting hamnered anxious to show support for the team no matter what.Then theres those who go early regardless of the score.

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 694 times
Has Liked: 600 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:06 pm

The Birth of the Internet!

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5516 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:36 pm

I've seen a few of the posts criticising the club recently along the lines of "I've been banging on about it since July" and "I've been telling anyone who'll listen"

This just magnifies the feeling of discontent; I understand that people aren't happy about certain things I just don't understand the need to repeat it ad nauseum. I guess in the days before messageboards they would have been the same down the pub, the only difference being they'd have been left to drink on their own.

beddie
Been Liked: 1380 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:07 pm

Isn't it partly down to the lack of spending, that's not a criticism of the club it's because other established clubs are spending much bigger than they ever have, which leaves the smaller clubs with fewer choices within their budget. SD has mentioned this previously. I think it's going to get harder. I also think the way we build up our youth team/ system over the next few years could be the way forward for us. Perhaps at the moment we need to put more emphasise on looking abroad for bargain buys. Incidentally, those who think Hendrick is crap are entitled to their opinion,however, my view is that played in the right posistion he's a very good player with a tremendous work rate.

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:To be even fairer Hendrick is far from crap. In his correct position he is an excellent player for Burnley the sad fact is he rarely gets a decent run in his preferred position.

I can still remember the dogs abuse Marney used to get, yet he left the club a legend.

It was debated before the first promotion under Dyche whether Sam show be let go in the summer (I was of the opinion he would be useful from the bench). He scored 20 goals, and along with Ings got us promoted.

Frustration at results is understandable, but the knee jerk, jerk is the right word, reaction of some posters is pathetic.
Well said that man.