Haslingden Bypass - mobile speed van on bridge

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6417 times

Haslingden Bypass - mobile speed van on bridge

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:11 pm

As you come off the M66 onto the A56 Haslingden bypass there’s a bridge over the road with a mobile speed van on it. The thing is, I think it’s where the limit is 70mph, but it was clearly (IMO) pointing down towards the bend where it is 50mph. Now what happens is, and this is what I did this morning, people generally observe the limit around the bend, then accelerate to 70mph as you approach the “straight” - right where this van is.

The question I have, is this - if the only speed signs you can observe show the national limit (I.e. 70mph) at which point on the road does that apply? I ask because it is entirely possible for a car to come off the slip road onto a dual carriageway and only see the 70 sign ahead and not be aware that they are still in a 50 and thus get done.

If I get a ticket, I will likely dispute it using my dash cam footage, but I wondered what others views were on this. For the record I was probably approaching 60mph with the 70 signs in view before the van, then I had to brake hard for everyone who slammed on because they saw the van (it was dangerous)

Dodobdobodobo
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Re: Haslingden Bypass - mobile speed van on bridge

Post by Dodobdobodobo » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:18 pm

I think it’s 50mph all the way until you get to the Grane Rd turn off. Apparently it’s caught a load of drivers!!! w@nkers!!

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Just checked google maps, there’s the smallest of 50mph signs almost hidden in the trees at the bottom of the slip road... I’ll take my medicine, but I’m really quite annoyed tbh

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Got my son in law last year. Sneaky trick due to obstruction of repeater speed signs.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:03 pm

If the speed limit sign is not clearly visible, go take a picture, time and dating it and put an appeal in of you get a ticket.
You can't be done if the sign indicating the limit is not clearly visible. I know of 2 people who appealed on this basis and had their fine rescinded.
These 2 users liked this post: piston broke Rick_Muller

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:39 am

The 50 mph starts as you come down the hill from Edenfield and a sign is clearly visible. This limit then carries on round the bend until past the slip road off for Blackburn
Have been caught there myself and now always try to remember to look for the bridge
Van is on there often

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:46 am

I saw this yesterday on my way into Manchester. I assumed that it was pointing at the cars coming down the road going over the bridge rather than at the actual bypass.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:00 am

dushanbe wrote:I saw this yesterday on my way into Manchester. I assumed that it was pointing at the cars coming down the road going over the bridge rather than at the actual bypass.
If it's one of the new vans (yellow and blue, looks like some kind of fun bus) it will be collecting fines from people approaching the woolpack roundabout as well as people on the bypass. It will also notify the treasury if you are failing to wear a seatbelt or if you are using a hand held device while driving

ALP
Been Liked: 1464 times
Has Liked: 387 times

Post by ALP » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:12 am

Got me last year, the distance of the radar and picture was over 1/4 mile, it was a fair cop and I took the course. Must say it has slowed me down and I rarely speed now, and use the 'LIM' on the car a lot.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks for the heads up I take this route every week. It shifts to 50 at the rest of the hil before the hassy turn off (also end of motorway reg signs) then after the traffic has entered the road from the will pack roundabout onto the A56 there's a national speed limit sign.

The new vans are a lot harder to spot so be careful and obviously observe a safe speed at all times!
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller California Colner

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:49 am

jojomk1 wrote:The 50 mph starts as you come down the hill from Edenfield and a sign is clearly visible. This limit then carries on round the bend until past the slip road off for Blackburn
Have been caught there myself and now always try to remember to look for the bridge
Van is on there often
I used to use that route all the time when I worked in Manchester and it wasn’t 50mph when I did (about 10 years back). I hardly ever go that way now as I usually go straight up M6 and across the M65 to Burnley from down south, so Whilst I saw the 50 coming down the hill, I wasn’t fully aware that it was still 50 going round the bend, and I was doing 50 - until I got past the slip road on the left. Only then did I increase my speed slowly (in the flow of traffic I must add) towards the bridge, I only noticed the van when the cars in front of me all slammed on because of the van, there was nearly a pile up because of it. Surely that is more dangerous than cars accelerating to 70 for the mile stretch to the next roundabout (which is now completely ruined with traffic lights - don’t people round there know how to drive?)...?
This user liked this post: Bfcboyo

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:53 am

ALP wrote:Got me last year, the distance of the radar and picture was over 1/4 mile, it was a fair cop and I took the course. Must say it has slowed me down and I rarely speed now, and use the 'LIM' on the car a lot.
I can’t believe you had a heavy right foot mate... ;)

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:53 pm

Police again with their Cash Cows. Reading these comments people 'slamming brakes on is dangerous. I wonder if they're really that bothered. Same Smart motorways, on which I often travel, 50 then 60, then 40 and its dangerous. Mind you some drivers are real idiots and sadly they don't get caught for driving like lunatics.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:23 pm

On Rossendale rd yesterday
Obviously the Lancs Constabulary are having a pre Xmas fund raiser
The camera van is a large one and is unmarked

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6895 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:On Rossendale rd yesterday
You do know that the money raised through speeding fines doesn’t go to the police don’t you?

Joe14
Been Liked: 249 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Police don't get this cash!!! Nobody would get this cash is you just kept to the speed limit. (Takes tin hat off shelf) :roll:

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:07 pm

jojomk1 wrote:The 50 mph starts as you come down the hill from Edenfield and a sign is clearly visible. This limit then carries on round the bend until past the slip road off for Blackburn
Van is on there often
I travel up that road everyday. I get on behind the Tesco at Bentgate and you're right, it's 50mph up to the Grane Road slip road. I observed two (very clear) repeater signs this afternoon, then it increases to National Speed Limit. It's first time I've noticed after reading this thread. I always thought it was National Speed Limit all the way.

Surprised I've never been done.

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:On Rossendale rd yesterday
https://goo.gl/images/DBK8Zt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Different from previous one but you can hardly say it is unmarked.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:17 pm

I saw one of these new vans at the nelson end of the padiham bypass. It was parked in the left hand lane near the roundabout for the small industrial unit near carr road. It was getting drivers crossing from the 50 zone into the 40 zone. It was actually blocking the whole of the lane for turning left . This is a marked lane and was IMO causing an obstruction as drivers who wanted to turn left at the roundabout would have to switch to the right lane to avoid the van then go back into the left lane.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Joe14 wrote:Police don't get this cash!!! Nobody would get this cash is you just kept to the speed limit. (Takes tin hat off shelf) :roll:
I hope it doesn't hurt when I ram you tin hat up your ar5e... ;)

I thought I was keeping to the limit, as far as I knew anyway. It's not like I was doing 120mph down the motorway, I was accelerating up towards 70mph from 50mph because I genuinely thought the 50 zone had finished as I could see the National Speed limit signs in the distance (less than 200 yards ahead). It wasn't until all the cars in front anchored on that I considered I may have exceeded the limit. It just isn't clear on that stretch of road Joe14, and I wanted to highlight that.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Going too fast is the biggest cause of accidents, injuries and deaths on the road. Stick to the speed limit. It’s easy.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:54 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:I travel up that road everyday. I get on behind the Tesco at Bentgate and you're right, it's 50mph up to the Grane Road slip road. I observed two (very clear) repeater signs this afternoon, then it increases to National Speed Limit. It's first time I've noticed after reading this thread. I always thought it was National Speed Limit all the way.

Surprised I've never been done.
Just checked out google maps again, and the second of the repeater 50mph signs before the Grane Road slip road is 2 or 3 lamp posts from the bottom of the slip road from where you join the A56, there's a good stretch of a quarter of a mile or so before the Grane road off slip and the National Limit signs are quite a way before Grane Road. My issue is that it is easy to miss the repeater signs, especially in traffic like I was yesterday, and then you're looking for guidance on speed and you can see two National Limit signs in the short distance - if you missed the repeater signs because you were concentrating on the traffic you could be forgiven for accelerating up to 70 again with the rest of the traffic.

I'll take the fine if it comes though and accept its a lesson learnt. God help them if they get me in a speed awareness course though - I can teach them some stuff they have no idea about I'm sure...

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:02 pm

Claret wrote:Going too fast is the biggest cause of accidents, injuries and deaths on the road. Stick to the speed limit. It’s easy.
Sorry, but you are very wrong there. The root cause of most accidents has nothing to do with speed - speed is merely a quantifiable parameter and as it is easily quantifiable that is the reason it is used as a measure for accidents. If they could measure stupidity as easily they would use that instead...
This user liked this post: Stayingup

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:10 pm

You can't deny that speeding is a factor... however I think its about the car, travelling 90mph in something like a newer Audi, BMW or Porche or whatever is probably safer than an older Ford Fiesta or Citron C1. But you can't have a law where certain cars are allowed to go faster.

I think tailgating, distractions, hesitating and poor lane management is the cause of most accidents, however speed is a killer.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Sorry, but you are very wrong there. The root cause of most accidents has nothing to do with speed - speed is merely a quantifiable parameter and as it is easily quantifiable that is the reason it is used as a measure for accidents. If they could measure stupidity as easily they would use that instead...
Ha ha. You’re probably right. However, I reckon the number of mph over the speed limit anyone travels is inversely proportional to their IQ.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:30 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:I think tailgating, distractions, hesitating and poor lane management is the cause of most accidents, however speed is one factor.
fixed that for you ;)

The reason that the other main factors you listed are not punished is because they are subjective whereas speed can be easily measured hence why there is so much focus on it.

mealdeal
Been Liked: 81 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mealdeal » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:
fixed that for you ;)

The reason that the other main factors you listed are not punished is because they are subjective whereas speed can be easily measured hence why there is so much focus on it.
Point taken but clearly the reason speed is cracked down on is because regardless of the accident cause, excessive speed is what will kill and injure people. You can take any one of those reasons that claptrappers gave or any number of other accident causes, and without the presence of excessive speed, you get a bent car.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:03 pm

I got caught doing 50mph in a 40mph. I didn't know the road and wasn't sure if it a national speed limit.

The speed awareness course made me more aware of speed and how fast I should be going and what I should be looking out for , strangely. Since the course I'm more aware of cars speeding past me who I then meet up with at the next set of lights / roundabout/ junction.

Where there's more paint, you need to take more restraint.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:04 pm

mealdeal wrote:Point taken but clearly the reason speed is cracked down on is because regardless of the accident cause, excessive speed is what will kill and injure people. You can take any one of those reasons that claptrappers gave or any number of other accident causes, and without the presence of excessive speed, you get a bent car.
Understood, but you must also admit that "excessive speed" on its own will not kill or injure anyone and a capable driver who is in a vehicle that is also capable and well maintained is able to exceed the limit (which is generally arbitrary by the way in terms of the history of limits) without killing or injuring anyone, yet will be punished for it yet someone who is doing 30mph and being stupid because they are texting, for example, will be much more likely to kill or injure someone.

I'll bet you can guess which one I see on every journey I make, and yet goes widely unpunished even when caught in the act and it isn't speeding.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:15 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:You can't deny that speeding is a factor... however I think its about the car, travelling 90mph in something like a newer Audi, BMW or Porche or whatever is probably safer than an older Ford Fiesta or Citron C1. But you can't have a law where certain cars are allowed to go faster.

I think tailgating, distractions, hesitating and poor lane management is the cause of most accidents, however speed is a killer.
Doesn't matter what model of car someone drives or how old it is.
The vast majority of accidents are caused by the person in charge of the vehicle

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:19 pm

Stayingup wrote:Police again with their Cash Cows. Reading these comments people 'slamming brakes on is dangerous. I wonder if they're really that bothered. Same Smart motorways, on which I often travel, 50 then 60, then 40 and its dangerous. Mind you some drivers are real idiots and sadly they don't get caught for driving like lunatics.
Except the police don't make any money from the fines. Though that won't suit most people's victim complex when getting caught breaking the law.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:25 am

Talking to a bloke in our Church this morning who got broken into last week whilst he was asleep and had a load of money and personal and sentimental items nicked. Thankfully they didn't beat him up as he is in his eighties.

The police wouldn't come out to investigate his robbery but gave him a crime number for his insurance over the phone.

Would they not be better off employed going to see old people who are frightened to death and catching criminals than sat on road bridges all day behind a camera?

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:24 am

deanothedino wrote:Except the police don't make any money from the fines. Though that won't suit most people's victim complex when getting caught breaking the law.
If it's not about money,why are these vans always parked in places like the one in the OP, and never outside schools for example, where they would catch a lot fewer people but the ones they caught would be the dangerous lunatics as opposed to the people who do 60 mph a few yards too soon?

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:37 am

tybfc wrote: The police wouldn't come out to investigate his robbery but gave him a crime number for his insurance over the phone.

Would they not be better off employed going to see old people who are frightened to death and catching criminals than sat on road bridges all day behind a camera?
They have to justify themselves somehow. Once upon a time, they could’ve done some pro-active policing and maybe your 80 year friend might’ve not even been burgled if polices budgets hadn’t been stripped bare.

But, you lot voted for ‘um.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:57 am

Just to make everyone's start to the week a good one

Devon police are asking for speeding fines and cost of awareness courses to be increased by another £30

May the force be with you - but not on Haslingden bypass :twisted:

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:43 am

dsr wrote: If it's not about money,why are these vans always parked in places like the one in the OP, and never outside schools for example, where they would catch a lot fewer people but the ones they caught would be the dangerous lunatics as opposed to the people who do 60 mph a few yards too soon?
Maybe it is about the money to the government, but it isn't to the police because they don't see any of it. Maybe if they did then they'd be fully staffed.

As previously mentioned these vans aren't just catching people doing 60mph a few yards too soon, they're catch the dangerous lunatics who will be doing 60mph a few yards too soon while texting their mate or using snapchat. The only reason they'd catch less outside a school is because a lower volume of traffic, not because of less people exceeding the speed limit.
claptrappers_union wrote:They have to justify themselves somehow. Once upon a time, they could’ve done some pro-active policing and maybe your 80 year friend might’ve not even been burgled if polices budgets hadn’t been stripped bare.

But, you lot voted for ‘um.
Vans are manned by civvies, not police officers anyway.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:48 am

deanothedino wrote:As previously mentioned these vans aren't just catching people doing 60mph a few yards too soon, they're catch the dangerous lunatics who will be doing 60mph a few yards too soon while texting their mate or using snapchat. The only reason they'd catch less outside a school is because a lower volume of traffic, not because of less people exceeding the speed limit.
I suspect the reason they would catch fewer outside a school isn't just because of less traffic, but also because most people adjust their driving to the conditions. Most people will slow down and take extra care when there are children about. And the few lunatics who drive at 40 past a busy school or use their phones while passing a busy school, are a far bigger threat IMO than the ones who do it on a road with fewer pedestrians.

And it's not as if they are sometimes where there is money to be raised and sometimes at the low profit school areas. They are always at the money-raising sites, never at the schools.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:55 am

dsr wrote:I suspect the reason they would catch fewer outside a school isn't just because of less traffic, but also because most people adjust their driving to the conditions. Most people will slow down and take extra care when there are children about. And the few lunatics who drive at 40 past a busy school or use their phones while passing a busy school, are a far bigger threat IMO than the ones who do it on a road with fewer pedestrians.

And it's not as if they are sometimes where there is money to be raised and sometimes at the low profit school areas. They are always at the money-raising sites, never at the schools.
I live by a school and people drive like tossers there 24/7.

The point still stands that as far as the police are concerned there's no such thing as low/high profit areas or money raising sites because they don't see a penny of the fine. It goes to the treasury.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:06 pm

I was going to say that the Germans were more tolerant of speeding, what with the Autobahns and all that...

Oh dear...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46288054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 427 times
Has Liked: 364 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:00 am

Van parked on Brunshaw Road, top of the hill after Turf towards Pike Hill. Never seen it there before

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:07 pm

Got my NIP in the post today - but p!ssed off, there’s no Black Friday deal on offer :(

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:14 am

Just thought I'd add a little more detail to this.

I have issues with the process that the Lancashire Police want me to use for this. When you enquire about requesting photographic evidence, they direct you to a website lancashirepas.co.uk to access the photos. I dont have a problem with that, however - what process do they have in place for those without internet access? I did ask the question, and I was told to go to a library...

The next issue I have is that web address has an invalid SSL certificate. I raised this with them over the phone and I was told it was run by an external company and they "have no control" over it. This is a website that they want us to type personal information into to access their photographic evidence. This is unacceptable.

Anyway, I ignored the SSL cert error and continued. They have photos of my car and their "evidence" from the van - so that's 1 photo with the speed etc recorded, then one photo further up the road which is meant to be clearer to show who was driving (it looks like it was taken with a potato...) then a third photo which is a zoomed image of my reg plate - taken from the other photo. What they dont have is any photos of the site (road) available, i.e. the speed signs on the stretch of road etc. What they have instead is a web page with image placeholders for these photos, but no actual photos. When I queried this I was told that they were changing the photos because they have new vans with new livery and it will take time to upload these to the website. So without actually driving 200 miles to take some photos myself of all the speed signs I have no idea whether there is an actual "valid" speed limit in place according to the regulations - I can use google maps which was dated Aug 2018, but obviously the conditions are going to be different when those were recorded.

As I have said before, I was driving, I recall the event and I have explained that I didn't consider myself to be speeding because of the National Limit signs that were visible when I was allegedly speeding, yet I am unable to accurately and fairly contest the issue using the Lancashire Police process because it has technical flaws, and I have been told that in order to put my concerns in writing I have to fully admit the offence before they will consider any correspondence. Surely that cant be right or fair?

I will be admitting that I was driving, and that my speed (63mph) was likely to be what they recorded with their van. I will also be taking the matter further but I suspect that once I admit I was the driver they wont give a sh!t about anything else apart from prosecuting me for speeding. I will not let this drop though, until I have exhausted all possible courses of action. To think, if only their website actually worked as it should I would have accepted the issue and been a good boy and taken the Speed Awareness Course.

Oh, and for the record - If you admit the offence and pay the fine the monies go the the treasury. However, as most people don't want points on their licence they are likely to want to take the Speed Awareness Course... which is run by the police, and the fee for the course is £100/driver. That's £2000 for a course with 20 drivers on (my father has been on one and they had 35 drivers at the same time to watch PowerPoint for 4 hours). The costs to run the course must be at least £250 for the room, and £200 wages for the person at the front... Hell of a profit for the local Police force, its no wonder they like to "catch" speeding motorists to subsidise their donuts.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:33 am

When you say there was a national speed limit sign ‘visible’ what do you mean? If was on the road ahead of you it won’t really mean anything as the limit only applies when you pass the sign, not when you can see it.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:39 am

As I have said before, I was driving, I recall the event and I have explained that I didn't consider myself to be speeding because of the National Limit signs that were visible when I was allegedly speeding,
The speed limit is active as soon as you pass the sign, not when you can see it. I've said previously in the thread, I am on that road everyday and admittedly I didn't realise it was 50 until this thread, but the signs are clear. Theres two after the slip road at Bentgate, I tried driving at 50 though and it was bloody difficult.

They got you mate, it's a fair cop.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:56 am

Here are the 50 signs I found on google
50signs.jpg
50signs.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 5862 times
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deanothedino

Post by deanothedino » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:56 am

Rick_Muller wrote: Oh, and for the record - If you admit the offence and pay the fine the monies go the the treasury. However, as most people don't want points on their licence they are likely to want to take the Speed Awareness Course... which is run by the police, and the fee for the course is £100/driver. That's £2000 for a course with 20 drivers on (my father has been on one and they had 35 drivers at the same time to watch PowerPoint for 4 hours). The costs to run the course must be at least £250 for the room, and £200 wages for the person at the front... Hell of a profit for the local Police force, its no wonder they like to "catch" speeding motorists to subsidise their donuts.
Lancashire are one of only 5 police forces to run their own courses. Any profit from the courses legally has to be reinvested into road safety activities.

As I've said previously, if catching people speeding was really that profitable then all of our police forces would be fully staffed, they aren't.

You got caught, you were going too fast, accept your punishment.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:35 pm

deanothedino wrote:You got caught, you were going too fast, accept your punishment.
Rick_Muller wrote:I will be admitting that I was driving, and that my speed (63mph) was likely to be what they recorded with their van. I will also be taking the matter further but I suspect that once I admit I was the driver they wont give a sh!t about anything else apart from prosecuting me for speeding. I will not let this drop though, until I have exhausted all possible courses of action. To think, if only their website actually worked as it should I would have accepted the issue and been a good boy and taken the Speed Awareness Course.
Did you miss this bit?

Are you not concerned that the process in which they prosecute drivers is not robust? Or should we just accept issues that I raised? I think that it is important to raise these issues and that is what I will be doing, but like I said, I dont think they'll actually care.
claptrappers_union wrote:Here are the 50 signs I found on google[/attachment]
I can see them clearly when you have the benefit of google maps (Aug 2018), again like I have said previously when you are driving in traffic it is not so clear. For the record, I observed the limit all the way around the bend (2 km stretch when you measure on Google maps), my mistake (and I admit that) was that I accelerated 200m before I should have done. As to why I did that, I dont have a clear answer, my dash cam had failed (my fault - memory card was screwed), but I suspect from the photo evidence that I was pulling over to the right lane to permit traffic to join from the slip road, and there were cars behind me - my instinct was to accelerate whilst doing this to keep a safe flow of traffic. Next time I am sure I'll just pull the f#ck over and stay at 50 and f#ck the cars behind me.
deanothedino wrote:Lancashire are one of only 5 police forces to run their own courses. Any profit from the courses legally has to be reinvested into road safety activities.
I mean, would it kill them to put some bigger 50 signs up on both sides of the road? not the tiny repeater signs? I guess they wont do that because it would affect their revenue, defend it all you like - I think it is wrong. That stretch of road should never be a 50 after the bend, and it never was in all the time I drove up and and down it every day 10+ years ago.

Bacchus
Been Liked: 599 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Bacchus » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:27 pm

I love that people still think that enforcing the law is about 'making profit.' You even get people complaining that the police aren't enforcing the law because they are busy catching people speeding (i.e. enforcing the law.) What do people think the police does with these 'profits?'

I completely accept that Rick has held his hands up to this one (fair play) and some of his concerns about the process seem entirely legitimate but some of the comments on this thread are ignorant, hypocritical and plain dumb. Speed kills - that's why speed limits are policed. It really is that simple.

For the record I drove down this stretch of road yesterday and it's pretty obvious to anyone who is paying attention that the speed limit is 50mph - I think I counted 3 clearly visible signs. The most likely reason for there regularly being a speed camera there is that in my experience almost nobody observes the speed limit there.
This user liked this post: lesxdp

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:32 pm

AS has been said if the National Speed Limit signs are ahead of you then you are not actually in that speed area. As for the fifty signs there is the usual large fifty zone signs as you come down the road before you bear of to the left and then there are actually nine repeater signs before the start of the national speed limit area. Without wishing to start an argument it is a pity that at your speed you I think are unlikely to be offered a speed awareness course as it would be beneficial for you to remind you of the observation skills you need whilst driving.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2589 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm not sure this is much consolation to Rick, but it's been a handy thread this. I thought it was 70 there myself and I'm using this road tonight. Cheers!