How long would you give a new manager?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

How long would you give a new manager?

Post by Spijed » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 pm

What happens if a new manager come in, but it soon becomes clear it's not working out, say after a dozen matches?

Would you be happy to let them go and try someone else, and so on?

Would you feel comfortable becoming a club that changes managers every few months?

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Re: How long would you give a new manager?

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:45 pm

you're asking crazy fans to get sensible, never going to happen Spijed.
This user liked this post: Spijed

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1939 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:58 pm

Spijed, again I’m still in the pro Dyche club but these questions make no sense.
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:01 am

Spijed wrote:What happens if a new manager come in, but it soon becomes clear it's not working out, say after a dozen matches?

Would you feel comfortable becoming a club that changes managers every few months?
would depend if he was trying to play good football or if he was playing hoofball
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

PutTheWheelieBinsOut
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by PutTheWheelieBinsOut » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:02 am

Spijed wrote:What happens if a new manager come in, but it soon becomes clear it's not working out, say after a dozen matches?

Yes I am sure that we would suddenly change from having a manager for 6 years to changing a manager every few months. Yes because all clubs do that don't they.
This idea that we have become this club that sets the example to world football on how to treat their managers is laughable. Name me one of the biggest and most successful clubs in the world that hasn't changed their manager in the last 6 years. They are successful because they demand success, nothing else will do.

Whilst for you.. you think taking your moral high ground is some how more important than winning. You are like a latter day public schoolboy, it seems like to you, it doesn't matter if we win or lose, only how we played the game.
This user liked this post: TsarBomba

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:32 am

Im still pro dyche. And we need to get behind him.

When there was talk of everton we were up in arms. And we often question loyalty in football. Especially when players or managers walk out for better jobs. With hindsight Dyche may think he shouldve done that. When his stock was at its highest.

But it works both ways. Now things are on the slide, we need to step up. Back the manager. And the players. Through thick and thin.

That all said, he needs to sort stuff out and soon. Its easier to drop out of this league than it is to get back. Leeds, Forest, Sheff Weds, Portsmouth, Villa, Rovers, Bolton are all testament to that.

It doesnt look good right now. But the fans are needed more than ever.
These 4 users liked this post: Hibsclaret DomBFC1882 DCWat gawthorpe_view

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:39 am

Hear hear

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:58 am

Any new manager needs 2/3 transfer windows at the very least, and whoever comes in next will need that as a minimum, such is the rebuilding job now required.

We’re not a club that hires and fires, and we all take great pride in that, and it would be a selling point for the club at the next interview process.

As a set of fans, we’re no different to any other. In fact, I think we’re pretty reasonable. By and large, we’ve put up with this garbage for years. I can’t see that happening at many other clubs, certainly not in the PL.

Your insinuation that should we get rid of Dyche will inevitably lead to further unrest doesn’t hold water. I appreciate you want Dyche to stay Spijed, but you’re clutching at straws as for reasons why now.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:02 am

TsarBomba wrote: By and large, we’ve put up with this garbage for years.
What garbage for years?

Last season we played some great football!

IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:04 am

Assuming we don't make an absolute hash of it, I'd be happy to give a manager beyond this current season even if we were relegated. I do believe that it's hard to get much worse than we are now. We're conceding goals for fun and we can't score. A new manager should at least make us somewhat competitive again but the damage may have already been done.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:06 am

When you say we've put up with this garbage for "years", I assuming you are making a general point that we've tended to be **** rather than good over time, and not that Dyche has been **** for years yeah?

All I'll say on a new manager is that the only reason to pot SD would be to stay up, and I'm not convinced that you can guarantee that.

If we did get rid of him, then I'd want a complete change as I can cope with what we serve up under SD (because he has made us play some cracking stuff at times so there is always the hope we will be able to do that again) but 100% not interested in the percentage stuff played by the likes of BFS and Pulis.

And I have to be honest, I wouldn't be sacking him anyway.
This user liked this post: dsr

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:17 am

Spijed wrote:What garbage for years?

Last season we played some great football!
Yeah, at times we did. Nothing consistent though. The goal at Everton sticks in the memory, but this is now over a year ago. At what point do we turn around and say enough? When the half decent football we played is 2/3/4 years ago? The fact we’re having to look back a year to when we last played any sort of football is damning in itself.

We’ve been playing hoofball for years, you know we have. We absolutely were in our promotion season, and it was dire to watch, but we all accepted it because the results were there, and it was effective.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:18 am

Well so far on the shortlist (names mentioned on the Dyche out thread) we've got:

Paul Cook
Nigel Pearson
Steve Bruce

Who is this new manager going to be who is going to overhaul the club? Plenty saying dyche out yet not seeing the bigger picture or actually thinking it through.

Utc posters and some fans lack patience, the ones who will groaning if we aren't 1-0 after 5 minutes on Wednesday, they want instant success. Some posters would be against a new manager straight away if he wasn't their choice, not that they can actually think of a suitable candidate.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 am

NL Claret wrote:Well so far on the shortlist (names mentioned on the Dyche out thread) we've got:

Paul Cook
Nigel Pearson
Steve Bruce

Who is this new manager going to be who is going to overhaul the club? Plenty saying dyche out yet not seeing the bigger picture or actually thinking it through.

Utc posters and some fans lack patience, the ones who will groaning if we aren't 1-0 after 5 minutes on Wednesday, they want instant success. Some posters would be against a new manager straight away if he wasn't their choice, not that they can actually think of a suitable candidate.
No one is coming up with a suitable candidate NL,the simple reason is there isn't one the only man for the job is Dyche,and I fully expect him to see the job through,he needs the boards backing,we have suddenly accumulated quite a lot of dead wood in the squad,give him money in January,then if we go down,clear out the dead wood and give him more cash for Dyche to bring us back for a third time,think the only people to blame for out current position is the board,it's definitely not Joe Hart as quite a few numpties on here are suggesting :lol:
This user liked this post: NL Claret

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:31 am

Nah just stick with how things are going, we can always stick it with the other What ifs if we go down

What if we had improved the first 11 in the last 2 windows?
What if we had spent a little more of the 50m profits over the last 2 seasons?
What if we had had a real go at the Europa league?
What if we had tried a differnt formation?
What if we had tried a differnt approach to the games than going for a 1-0?
What if we tried to exploit the opposition with a different set up or style game to game?
What if we had changed the manager when after nearly a year it clearly wasn't working?

It's all what ifs, but if you never try, then you will never know.

It's all well and good reacting when it is too late ( Burnley's greatest stregth ) or saying "I told you so" when the obvious happens.

You only need to look at the last 2 transfer windows to realise what our approch from top to bottom is like, It's slow, it's no plan B, it's fearful of taking any sort of risk, it's trying to get by by doing just enough.

Sadly when you stand still in this business you go backwards, you may get away with it once, you never get away with it twice.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:51 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Im still pro dyche. And we need to get behind him.

When there was talk of everton we were up in arms. And we often question loyalty in football. Especially when players or managers walk out for better jobs. With hindsight Dyche may think he shouldve done that. When his stock was at its highest.

But it works both ways. Now things are on the slide, we need to step up. Back the manager. And the players. Through thick and thin.

That all said, he needs to sort stuff out and soon. Its easier to drop out of this league than it is to get back. Leeds, Forest, Sheff Weds, Portsmouth, Villa, Rovers, Bolton are all testament to that.

It doesnt look good right now. But the fans are needed more than ever.
Everton never wanted Dyche though. We don't owe Dyche anything. We have made him a millionaire and set his family up for life. And don't forget he refused to sign a contract with us until it became clear no other club wanted him.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:55 am

jrgbfc wrote:Everton never wanted Dyche though. We don't owe Dyche anything. We have made him a millionaire and set his family up for life. And don't forget he refused to sign a contract with us until it became clear no other club wanted him.
You might not think we owe him anything but I certainly do - some loyalty because he's brought the club major success.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:07 pm

jrgbfc wrote:And don't forget he refused to sign a contract with us until it became clear no other club wanted him.
A managers contract isn't really worth the paper it's written on (apart from perhaps £2-3 million in compensation) when they jump ship. So signing a new contract isn't that important in the modern game.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:20 pm

All this rubbish about we owe is just complete sentimental claptrap.

I have been watching Burnley long enough and seen managers come and go over the years to know in my own mind, that now is the time to part company with Sean. If we don't get shut we are throwing the towel into our life in the Premier league.

Dyche does not have a cat in hells chance of digging us out of this mess. If the club have any ambition they should now be preparing for his departure

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:25 pm

Spijed wrote:A managers contract isn't really worth the paper it's written on (apart from perhaps £2-3 million in compensation) when they jump ship. So signing a new contract isn't that important in the modern game.
What if the Manager’s signing of a Long Term Deal over his preferred Rolling one has had an influence on both his and the Team’s attitude? Mayhap complacency has crept in around the Management Team. No fear of the Boot at Burnley for Dyche. It could be coincidence that our form this year dipped after he signed his mega-bucks deal, certainly; but maybe it isn’t.

His contract is certainly worth quite a lot to both himself and Burnley.
Last edited by Lord Beamish on Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Spijed

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:28 pm

When the going gets tough the tough get going so in answer to the Thread title...As long as it takes.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:36 pm

South West Claret. wrote:When the going gets tough the tough get going so in answer to the Thread title...As long as it takes.
What do you mean by 'as long as it takes'?

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:46 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:What do you mean by 'as long as it takes'?
What it says "as long as it takes".

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:54 pm

We have a very good manager. Why go backwards!

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:11 pm

South West Claret. wrote:What it says "as long as it takes".
Right. okay!

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:37 pm

Three games, maximum.

It's a fast moving world now and you can't make decisions too quickly or not enough of them.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:41 pm

NL Claret wrote:Well so far on the shortlist (names mentioned on the Dyche out thread) we've got:

Paul Cook
Nigel Pearson
Steve Bruce

What a crock of ****. Fans lack patience? So being in decline for nearly 12 months, I'd say the fans have been more forgiving than most clubs fans would have been.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:49 pm

The club may well have the plans in place for Dyches departure with the introduction of this recruitment guy.

Moyes was in the directors box on Monday, he knows the new guy and is friendly with the Kikbys.

Would not surprise me, if Moysie was not the Gaffer by this time next month

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:54 pm

Murger wrote:What a crock of ****. Fans lack patience? So being in decline for nearly 12 months, I'd say the fans have been more forgiving than most clubs fans would have been.
Ok I'll stoop to your low level thought process. Let's sack the most successful manager we've had in decades, get him out today and Garlick needs to drive down to Bromley Cross, Bolton with a suitcase full of cash for Big Fat Sam. Would that make you happy, well happier or slightly less miserable?

Perhaps the forgiveness came because we were 7th in the PL, he kept us in the PL and got us promoted twice? Just a thought, or you could say that he's working on a limited budget in comparison to the rest of the PL.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:56 pm

NL Claret wrote:Ok I'll stoop to your low level thought process. Let's sack the most successful manager we've had in decades, get him out today and Garlick needs to drive down to Bromley Cross, Bolton with a suitcase full of cash for Big Fat Sam. Would that make you happy, well happier or slightly less miserable?

Perhaps the forgiveness came because we were 7th in the PL, he kept us in the PL and got us promoted twice? Just a thought, or you could say that he's working on a limited budget in comparison to the rest of the PL.
Will you be happy to watch us in a lower league next season, all because the manager did well last season?

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:07 pm

Murger wrote:Will you be happy to watch us in a lower league next season, all because the manager did well last season?
I'll be honest with you, I wouldn't be that bothered, I don't particularly enjoy the PL. When G4S come round and draw the blinds in the foundation lounge I know the best part of the afternoon/ evening has gone.

I don't know if it is an age thing that I've become very blasé about it all. I don't think sacking a manager works or guarantees success, it didn't for WBA, Swansea or Stoke last season. I cannot think of a suitable replacement either.

Personally I think we will be relegated by April, with or without Dyche in charge.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:27 pm

MACCA wrote:Nah just stick with how things are going, we can always stick it with the other What ifs if we go down

What if we had improved the first 11 in the last 2 windows?
What if we had spent a little more of the 50m profits over the last 2 seasons?
What if we had had a real go at the Europa league?
What if we had tried a differnt formation?
What if we had tried a differnt approach to the games than going for a 1-0?
What if we tried to exploit the opposition with a different set up or style game to game?
What if we had changed the manager when after nearly a year it clearly wasn't working?

It's all what ifs, but if you never try, then you will never know.

It's all well and good reacting when it is too late ( Burnley's greatest stregth ) or saying "I told you so" when the obvious happens.

You only need to look at the last 2 transfer windows to realise what our approch from top to bottom is like, It's slow, it's no plan B, it's fearful of taking any sort of risk, it's trying to get by by doing just enough.

Sadly when you stand still in this business you go backwards, you may get away with it once, you never get away with it twice.
absolutely 100% correct

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:34 pm

If changing the manager now realistically improved our chances of staying up then it would be the right thing to do.

Sadly I just don't see it. The problems seem far more deep-rooted than that and the current group of players are not good enough to achieve it regardless of who's in charge.

If the club sacked SD now or soon this would all feel horribly reminiscent of Coyle/Laws. A huge part of the infrastructure would go. In all probability we'd bring in a manager who was not really any better, certainly in terms of recent achievement and we could end-up with January panic buys akin to Leon Cort.

There's no sentiment in football. A lot of people make the understandable mistake of thinking it's like the real world. The big underlying fear in our case is that make the wrong decision now and we could easily crash and burn disappearing into a Hull/Sunderland/Bolton like oblivion.

At least if we stick with SD for the rest of the season and see where we are then we can decide what to do next in a more reasoned and considered way.

We can all point to the failings of the summer and that appears to be the single biggest reason we're in a mess now but primarily whose fault was that. The board? the manager? - SD can certainly point to his achievements up until then to back up his case in terms of where the blame might lie.

As far as the board are concerned most of us really don't know enough, although some claim to, but I'd have grave doubts that they could sack Dyche and replace him with manager/backroom staff who'd leave us in better shape than we would be otherwise at the end of this season and then going forward into the next.
This user liked this post: NL Claret