Realistic January wish list and rumours.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Re: Realistic January wish list and rumours.

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:37 am

Would you still be saying that if we’d bought Robertson (Liverpool) and Maddison (Leicester), both of whom were practically through the door?

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1491 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:39 am

Swop Roofe for Wood

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:11 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:Swop Roofe for Wood
A wooden roofe? Nice!!!
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2109 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:15 am

jdrobbo wrote:Would you still be saying that if we’d bought Robertson (Liverpool) and Maddison (Leicester), both of whom were practically through the door?
That's a big claim jdrobbo. I can't remember us even being linked with Maddison? In either case as good as they are would they be given the freedom to play their natural games under Dyche?

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:15 am

jdrobbo wrote:Would you still be saying that if we’d bought Robertson (Liverpool) and Maddison (Leicester), both of whom were practically through the door?
Maddison “through the door” ??
Last edited by SGr on Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

SGr

Post by SGr » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:18 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:It will be shocking business if Hendrick walks for free.
Funny that Leicester offered £15m in summer. Had we done that transfer window properly I’d have happily let them have him for a 50% profit thereabouts. Shame.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:22 am

SGr wrote:Funny that Leicester offered £15m in summer. Had we done that transfer window properly I’d have happily let them have him for a 50% profit thereabouts. Shame.
Just one reason why it would be poor to let him walk.

But also, despite the mixed opinions of him how much it would cost to replace him.

Fwiw I think he and Ward will both go to celtic.

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:34 am

Wouldn't mind Meite from Torino. Good engine, physically strong and only 24. But only signed for Torino in July. Not sure about temperament though.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1826 times
Has Liked: 930 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:36 am

This board not to melt down when we signed a Championship workhorse.

Least wealthy owners, 3rd bottom wages, 4th bottom league.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:17 am

Maddison, to my knowledge, was keen to come to Burnley, but like Jay, we didn’t quite meet the price.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2416 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:34 am

Jay Rod for me, plus a strong midfield tackler (Barton-esque) and a winger who can put the ball onto Sam Vokes' head

I've put it all in a letter to Santa so it will happen!

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:43 am

Having watched the last 3 wba games I don't think Jay Rod is the answer. If he wasn't a burnley lad I don't think he'd be getting a mention.

The bloke behind is pining for him to come back, it might pacify his upset over the treatment of Tom.
These 3 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Top Claret Vegas Claret

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:49 am

jdrobbo wrote:Maddison, to my knowledge, was keen to come to Burnley, but like Jay, we didn’t quite meet the price.
Really ?
There was not a single rumour as far as I can remember. He ended up signing for £24m aswell didn’t he ? Way way above what we would be prepared to pay.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:53 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:With the price of midfielders now and the age and style of those we do have, to let a versatile, physical, 26 year old, international, premier league midfielder who cost us over £10m 3 years ago walk would be shocking imo.

I get that, however a 3 year deal might cost us up to a further 10m... if he's 3rd or 4th choice now given our form/start to the season, I'm not sure it's great business long term..

Who knows what will happen, I just want to see some progression on bringing in first team players meaning naturally the bench/squad players drop down the pecking order.

If we are going to buy a couple of first teamers with that extra bit of quality any time soon, I'd rather we used Jeff's wages that are coming to an end to add to any current budget we may have
These 2 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin FactualFrank

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:59 am

I must stress he has got better this season in patches, but not sure if that's contract driven or not, he has had the most average of average 3 consecutive seaaons here.

However if the recent contracts handed out are anything to go by, then I'd expect him to sign on again and become a more regular player.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:10 pm

MACCA wrote:I get that, however a 3 year deal might cost us up to a further 10m... if he's 3rd or 4th choice now given our form/start to the season, I'm not sure it's great business long term..

Who knows what will happen, I just want to see some progression on bringing in first team players meaning naturally the bench/squad players drop down the pecking order.

If we are going to buy a couple of first teamers with that extra bit of quality any time soon, I'd rather we used Jeff's wages that are coming to an end to add to any current budget we may have
I agree we need to improve. And the role he is playing now is perhaps more where he needs to be. Good solid backup. But thats why 10m to secure him for next three years is sound business.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:19 pm

Worth making a bid for James Milner? We could offer him regular first team football for the next 2-3 years

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-mi ... ieler/3333" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing ventured...

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Mala591 wrote:Worth making a bid for James Milner? We could offer him regular first team football for the next 2-3 years

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/james-mi ... ieler/3333" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nothing ventured...
Do you really think there would be any remote possibility? Zero chance.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:31 pm

Milner will be on at least 80 grand a week dont think we could be close on a negotiation deal

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1575 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Romaine Sawyers is a player I would be interested in. Probably a cheaper option than most, 27 years old midfielder for Brentford but big and physical.
Think he would do a job for us.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:37 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I agree we need to improve. And the role he is playing now is perhaps more where he needs to be. Good solid backup. But thats why 10m to secure him for next three years is sound business.
Fair point.
I think he'll be with us for a while longer yet, and playing more regularly, but that might not be through his up turn in form, more to do with our lack of other options or league we are playing in.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Mala591 wrote:Worth making a bid for James Milner? We could offer him regular first team football for the next 2-3 years

Nothing ventured...
The same James Milner who is still one of Liverpool's key men? Always plays in the big games if he is fit not a chance of us signing him.
This user liked this post: Wuggawumphwumph

Northerner
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Northerner » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:28 pm

Need some midfield bodied IMO and some pace up front. Not convinced vydra will make the grade.

No idea who though, King might be a shout or look for a gamble overseas, Kante only cost 5m!

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:43 pm

Anyone in our youth teams worth giving a chance? Do we have a decent young winger coming through?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:46 pm

No he wouldn't , but they weren't practically through the door so that's irrelivent.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:48 pm

SGr wrote:Funny that Leicester offered £15m in summer. Had we done that transfer window properly I’d have happily let them have him for a 50% profit thereabouts. Shame.

No they didn't

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Andy King of Leicester linked with Huddersfield, you'd like to think if we are looking he us on our radar, and we should be able to compete with Huddersfield regarding a package.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:22 pm

Andreas Pereira
Maximilian Arnold
Steven Zuber
Kyle Scott

Discussed these before

Central Midfield / Defensive Midfield

Alan Browne

Good all round player (+), price should be reasonable (+), passing needs to improve (-)

Sergi Samper

It's hard to say how good this guy currently is. I've watched him over the course of a few years, with the emphasis being more off than on.The problem is that he hasn't played much in the last couple of years. What could have been good loan opportunities have been disrupted by managers being sacked shortly after his arrival and injuries. The guy can't seem to catch a break that translates into the consistent playing time he needs to prove himself .

His contract with Barcelona ends this year and his chances of breaking into their first team are zero. At the moment he is recovering from a soleus strain/tear that will probably keep him off the pitch till January. He is at that stick or twist point in his career and moving could be the best way for him to progress.

In the matches that I've watched him play he has shown that flashes of having that extra something. Mainly due to his technical ability, overall awareness and passing range. Where it not for his recent misfortunes he would be well on the way to becoming something truly special.

I don't think the idea of Barcelona off loading him in the next window is unrealistic and would estimate his price to be somewhere in the 3 - 4 million range, maybe less. Whether he would entertain a move to us is a bit of a stretch, but if you don't ask then you don't get. If he did come we would have to strap him into a standing/seated calf raise machine once a day to build up those delicate toothpicks of his.

A couple of million could be seen as a reasonable punt with a high yield if it works out. Besides, it wouldn't be a transfer window if we didn't bring in an injured player with future potential.

Left Back / Right Back

With Bardlsey performing extremely well at the moment our need in this area isn't that great, but it is something we should be looking at in respect to the future. So the next two are probably better shouts for future windows.

Daley Sinkgraven

Quality left backs aren't in great supply within our normal hunting grounds. Daley was moved from central midfield to left back last season and he was doing fairly well in his new position until he got injured. Unfortunately for him their new arrival Tagliafico has made that potion his own this season.

Sinkgraven is currently in the last year of his contract, with an extension option for the club, which could mean a move is on his mind.

Tomasz Kedziora

Small chance of him coming here at the moment and I would expect a high price if he did. Definitely the type of player we need though.

willsclarets
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 133 times

Post by willsclarets » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Nothing ventured...
:lol: Probably Liverpool's player of the season so far.

exilecanada
Been Liked: 235 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:54 pm

willsclarets wrote: Probably Liverpool's player of the season so far.

I can’t agree more! Whenever Liverpool’s on telly I keep an eye on Milner, not spectacular compared to his team mates, not fancy, rarely makes a mistake, the guy is rock solid.

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Neither Maddison nor Robertson were anywhere near "through the door" - we'd agreed a fee a personal terms with Robertson, didn't know about Maddison but at best the same scenario. Any number of clubs can agree a fee and personal terms it means next to nothing. Exactly the same situation with Hakim Ziyech - fee and personal terms agreed, then he just waited for Ajax to come in for him, his preferred choice, and signed for them.

Either some people don't understand how these things work or they're trying to make out we're letting these players slip through our fingers - which is not the case.

Despite our relative wealth we're not an attractive proposition for the kind of player we want/need to attract. The only time we're likely to get a clear run is if no-one else is interested or we're prepared to pay over the odds.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:59 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:The only time we're likely to get a clear run is if no-one else is interested or we're prepared to pay over the odds.
And I think the board will be forced into making a decision this transfer window. I think it's going to be a choice between paying over the odds and speculating to accumulate, or accept that we're likely to go down, hang onto the money, and spend it in the summer to strengthen in order to bounce back up.

Ealing_Claret
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by Ealing_Claret » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Maupay at Brentford seems like a good shout. Young, fast, scoring lots of goals in a struggling team. His fee and wages you’d imagine would be within our budget - and he’d have some resale value.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Ealing_Claret wrote:Maupay at Brentford seems like a good shout. Young, fast, scoring lots of goals in a struggling team. His fee and wages you’d imagine would be within our budget - and he’d have some resale value.
Huddersfield been linked with this lad,10 million bid planned for January,in the current market that's good value,the sort we should be chasing, Brentford are our feeder club,Tarks and Gray was a good investment in terms of results and profit.

MattBFC
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by MattBFC » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Joe Allen worth a cheeky bid - best player on pitch for Stoke on the Turf last season. Really comfortable on ball and quite creative too.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 753 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:37 am

Whoever we sign needs to be able to get about the pitch. We also need some physical presence in the midfield.

As for the strikers, don’t think January is the time to sort this, as we need a complete overhaul in this area.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:57 am

We don't need any more steady Eddie squad fillers. Unless someone is good enough to be a guaranteed starter and improve our first team then we may as well leave it. Centre mid is where I'd be looking, someone like that Doucoure at Watford would be ideal. Desperately need a bit more energy and dynamism in there.

Mayoclaret
Been Liked: 219 times
Has Liked: 517 times

Post by Mayoclaret » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:21 am

Irish Sunday people saying we are in for Maxime Poundje 26, left back at Bordeaux, along with Fulham and Newcastle. Have had him watched in last few weeks apparently.

But will he provide his own yellow training bib?

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:55 pm

I’ll just keep banging the Pablo Hernandez drum. Really like him.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9495542" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:08 pm

jdrobbo wrote:I’ll just keep banging the Pablo Hernandez drum. Really like him.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9495542" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Why would Leeds sell him? And more importantly why would he want to leave a team who look like they're going up and come and sign for us? Bielsa obviously gives him the freedom to play, Dyche would either freeze him out or expect him to work like a dog.

Mala591
Been Liked: 685 times
Has Liked: 429 times

Post by Mala591 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:12 pm

MattBFC wrote:Joe Allen worth a cheeky bid - best player on pitch for Stoke on the Turf last season. Really comfortable on ball and quite creative too.
Good player but why a cheeky bid? Why not make a realistic offer - £15 m initially rising up to ??

Stoke look unlikely promotion candidates and I would think Allen would much prefer to be playing in the PL.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3322 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:39 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Why would Leeds sell him? And more importantly why would he want to leave a team who look like they're going up and come and sign for us? Bielsa obviously gives him the freedom to play, Dyche would either freeze him out or expect him to work like a dog.
Wouldn’t worry about that. Have a read of the article posted and you can see that he would not be adverse to a big money move.
He’s 33 year old though and whilst he looked a decent quality player at Swansea that was a few years ago and he’s had a number of injuries.
He’s obviously having a great season for Leeds but would be a big risk for me to step up into Premier League and the length of any new contract also likely to be an issue at his age.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:52 pm

Shane Long. Good lad, right age.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:26 pm

jrgbfc wrote:We don't need any more steady Eddie squad fillers. Unless someone is good enough to be a guaranteed starter and improve our first team then we may as well leave it. Centre mid is where I'd be looking, someone like that Doucoure at Watford would be ideal. Desperately need a bit more energy and dynamism in there.
I think a dose of reality is needed. There's no way someone like Doucoure will be a realistic target for us, I'm afraid.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11062 times
Has Liked: 5667 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:30 pm

claretspice wrote:I think a dose of reality is needed. There's no way someone like Doucoure will be a realistic target for us, I'm afraid.
he said someone LIKE Doucoure NOT Doucoure - dime a dozen in the French League. It's amazing how many good players you can find if you look beyond the Championship

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 513 times
Has Liked: 1070 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:56 pm

Claretspice also said someone like Doucoure.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:59 pm

It’s quite clear what was meant with someone like Doucoure, a player in that style.

I’m also certain that spice thought he meant Doucoure hence his realism comment.

It’s petty stuff like this that spoil this board at times.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Anyone found out where Mr Rigg were yesterday?

His comments signalled we won't be looking at the steady Eddie approaching 30 do a job types much longer.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:15 pm

I meant a midfielder with the same sort of qualities as Doucoure. Powerful, quick, good engine etc. Just checked and Watford picked him up from Rennes for peanuts. The players are out there we just have to get over our obsession of buying British.

SGr

Post by SGr » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 pm

jdrobbo wrote:Maddison, to my knowledge, was keen to come to Burnley, but like Jay, we didn’t quite meet the price.
I pray that’s not true. Criminal not meeting the fee for him if he wanted to come.