Burnley v Everton - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Re: Burnley v Everton - Player Ratings

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:01 pm

Hart 5
Lowton 5
Tarks 4
Gibson 7 mom
Mee 5
Taylor 6
Westwood 5
Cork 4
Hendrick 6
Barnes 6
Vokes 6

McNeill 5
JBG 5
Wood 5

Took off our 2 best players in the first substitution. In SDs eyes Cork must be fire proof.

It was poor of Taylor to give away the early corner, but how Hart sticks to his line is criminal. Our player of the season by a long way, but we need Nick Pope back in goal asap.
Gibson was excellent, defending and playing the ball out. Has to start, preferably in a two with Tarks, despite the fact Tarks had a mare today.
Westwood and Cork are terrible as a partnership too lightweight together and neither is capable of winning the ball and controlling it in a tackle. Hendrick should start every game.
Bardsley needs to start, we picked up with him in the side, because of the energy and nous he brings. Lowts is far too negative. Still gets into positions to deliver and then plays it back to the half way line. We have to play on the front foot, it's boring to watch, but so predictable, especially to the opposition. You can almost write the script before the game kicks off.

Horses for courses and today we picked the wrong players in the wrong formation. 5 at the back away is one thing, but at home is negative. Playing 2 big men , against their 3 bigger men was foolish. Should have played Vydra off 1 big man Vokes, and played Barnes on the left.

I can't see a way out of this, and I'm resigned to relegation. Not angry, just frustrated that it's come to this.
It's going to take a big switch in personnel and mentality to have even a glimmer of a chance next season
These 4 users liked this post: Cubanclaret SpringHillClaret nil_desperandum Ashingtonclaret46

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Hart 3 . Can’t give 2 but it’s over for him.
Lowton 3
Taylor 3
Mee 3
Tarks 4
gibson5
Hendrick 4
Cork 4
Westwood 4
Barnes 6 for sheer effort
Vokes4

JBG 4
MCNeil 4 but neither had a chance and the substitutions were weird as was original team selection.

Bfcshaun
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfcshaun » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:13 pm

Hart 3- should have collected cross for first. Doesn't command 6 yard box never mind area.
Lowton 4- poor in lead up to first goal. No pressure on cross because Tarkowski was the one doing his job on that.
Taylor3 - abysmal gave away needless corner for first goal and his crossing is not up to scratch.
Tarkowski 4- missed a sitter and looked troubled at back
Mee 4- poor all game allowed three Everton players freedom of the area to head in first.
Gibson 5- one for goal and made one great tackle to stop a goal in first half.
Cork 4- not showing for the ball and giving options.
Westwood 3- like cork and Hendrick lost midfield battle and walking instead of closing down and also giving options.
Hendrick 3- one cross apart totally inept. Think he touched ball once in opening 15 minutes.
Vokes 4- dominated by Evertons back 3.
Barnes 6- at least he put in some effort. The only player who actually gave options by moving in to spaces.
Gudmondson 4- one free kick.
Mcneil 5- bit unfair to throw a kid in that situation but hopefully given more game time he can be a bright spot in this totally pathetic period.
Last edited by Bfcshaun on Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

strayclaret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by strayclaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:25 pm

Disjointed cr@p Dyche 0 what’s going on ???
Hart 4
Lowton 4
Tarks 4
Mee 4
Gibson 6
Taylor 5
Westwood 5
Cork 4
Hendrick 4
Barnes 4
Vokes 4
Marked to 89th minute, first time I’ve left before the end in years. Hope my marks aren’t too high missed the last. Not all Joes fault but time for a goalie change

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:They are the worst and some of those 3 marks were worse than others. We keep making changes but some players keep their places. Time for a change in goal for me.
So you blaming all the seasons mess on hart ?

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Awful performance

Hart 4 - lets make a change (its the only one we havent)
Lowton 4 - not sure why we dropped Bardsely
Tarks 4 - i rhink hes forced to try rhe beckenbauer approach by a totally static midfield in fron tof him
Mee 3 - terrible again
Gibson 6 - looks class
Taylor 5 - tried hard
Cork 3 - slow, pedestrian, weak and slow
Westwood 4 - a bit better than Cork
Hendrick 6 - our best m8dfielder as he has been all season- why was he hooked?
Barnes 6 - worked his socks off. No service
Vokes 6 - see above
JBG 4 - disnt really get into the game but not his fault
McNeil 4 - woeful but see JBG

Dyche has to take the 90% of the blame here. Weirdly persisting with Mee, Cork and Vokes/Barnes combo. Then changing the shape when we needed 3 in the middle and takong off the best of our central 3. 9verall thougj this is simply a reflection of a club that lost its bottle in summer and is paying the price.
This user liked this post: Stevie Morgan

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:46 pm

hart - 3 culpable for 2 goals at least and the 4th exposed his well known inability to get to shots to his left from distance. weak for the free kick and he simply has to come and claim the cross for the first. difficult to see how he can survive this performance. fortunately, pope is pretty much back now.

lowton - 4

tarkowski - 4 far too casual repeatedly trying to cruyff turn bernard and getting caught out, and he crucially missed the game's gilt-edged chance at 3-1 that could have got us back in it.

mee - 3 appalling. 2-0 down and he throws his hand up like that. surely only the fact gibson was on a yellow card saved him from being hooked?

gibson - 6 central pairing of him and tarkowski please

taylor - 6 some of his defending was superb and he looked like the only player who was up for getting forward

westwood - 3 so far below the required standard. he's fine as an occasional stand-in but if he remains a first choice we're not very good.

cork - 4 marginally better than westwood

hendrick - 5 poor first half, as they all were but he was our best midfielder in the 2nd until he was again inexplicably hooked ahead of westwood.

vokes - 4 ineffective

barnes - 4 equally as ineffective

mcneil - 4 and gudmundsson - 5 at least we looked a bit more lively going forward with these two on but it was too little too late. they should have been on at 0-3

pick the bones out of that...

in short, i never want to see 532, not even a back 5, at home again. everton had just been humped 6-2 at home and we've gone out (albeit limited by the squad available) with the most negative formation we could have. it set us up for the most moronic performance i've seen in years. hart, mee and westwood should all be facing the bench against west ham but the others weren't much better.

part of the problem again is consistency of selection. its been a cornerstone of our success under dyche and we saw earleir in the season, the chopping and changing game by game was a key factor in our slow start and our demise in europe. olympiakos away we went with an unfamiliar back 5 and today changed 2 players and went with our most 1-footed centre half in the middle of a 3.

that, for me, accounts for the abysmal lack of marking for the first goal, non-withstanding hart has to come and claim it. no idea what mee was thinking, suicidally sticking his hand up like that but he didn't have any complaints. bizarrely we could have made a bit of a game of it had tarkowski buried his sitter but the game was gone with that. giving any side at this level a 3 goal head start is criminal, especially the manner in which we did it.

difficult situation we're in now but its up to the manager and the players to put it right.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:48 pm

Hart - 3

Taylor - 5
Mee - 4
Tarks - 5
Gibson - 6
Lowton - 3

Cork - 3
Westwood - 5
Hendrick - 4

Vokes - 4
Barnes - 4

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:15 pm

It doesn't seem to matter what formation we play, our tactic seems to be to pass it sideways and backwards across the midfield and back four until we run out of options and go for the diagonal punt up-field. Today we had two "traditional" centre forwards on the pitch with no pace, up against Keane and Zouma who probably couldn't believe their luck. We were 3 down before we'd strung two forward passes together in their half. Complete garbage. No plan, no width, no pace. The worst thing is we don't even play hoofball quickly - we toss about with it just long enough for the opposition to get set then launch it.

Hart 3 - are our reserve keepers so bad that neither is worth a try?
Lowton 3 - not a wingback and not as good as Bardsley at the moment.
Tarks 3 - I would have taken him off when we finally made that change if Gibson hadn't been booked. In fact I'd have taken him off after about 10 minutes.
Mee 4 - I thought he was better than Tarks, and I can't score Tarks a 2.
Gibson 5* - the best of a bad bunch. Shame he got booked.
Taylor 3 - can someone explain to me how a professional footballer can get through 90 minutes and only have the ball touch one of his feet? He's so predictable it's scary. When he has the ball he either has to try and go on the outside - which he won't do because he's not good enough in this division, or pivot 270 degrees to get it on his left foot for a pass back to Mee. I will plait snot on the day he cuts inside on his right foot.
Cork 3
Westwood 3 - he's a solid backup midfielder for when two of our three other central midfielders are off form or injured. If we had three other central midfielders that is.
Hendrick 3 - it's only reading other people's reviews that I realised he was playing.
Barnes 4 - tried hard but had a thankless task in a stupid system against two defenders that were better than him.
Vokes 3 - as above.

There has been some poor stuff this season but that has to be the lowest point. And we persisted with it for 63 minutes - 60 longer than it needed to take to see that it wasn't working. And how bad must Vydra be to not even get his usual 3-minute cameo?

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:23 pm

Hart 3 - Usual story.
Lowton 3 - Never been a wing back, was lost to the position.
Mee - 3 - Total half hearted garbage
Gibson - 6 - Plus one for the goal, ok, unbelievably my man of the match despite playing 60 minutes to a 6/10 standard.
Tarkowski - 4 - Poor, almost let them in for an earlier fourth with a ridiculous attempt at being ‘classy’.
Taylor - 4 - Not good enough, not will he ever be. Slow, dithering, scared.
Westwood - 4 - Chased shadows, too slow and limited.
Cork - 3 - Running in treacle constantly behind the play.
Hendrick - 4 - One or two nice touches but offered nothing.
Vokes - 5 - Won a fair amount of headers and chased manfully but had no service and no runners from midfield to pick up his knock downs.
Barnes - 5 - Same story to the above - full of effort but all in vein.

Seething tonight after a long and jammed up drive home on the M1. Dyche should look long and hard at himself and the team he put out tonight. Love what the man has done for us but we are a million miles away at present, and not making a change till the 63rd minute when getting absolutely destroyed is negligent.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Hart 3
Lowton 5
Tarks 5
Mee 4
Gibson 6
Taylor 5
Cork 6
Westwood 6
Hendrick 6
Barnes 6
Vokes 5

McNeil 5
JBG 5
Wood 5

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:29 pm

Hart 3
Lowton 3
Taylor 3
Gibson 5
Tarkowski 3
Mee 3
Westwood 4
Cork 4
Hendrick 5
Barnes 3
Vokes 3

McNeil 3
Gudmundsson 3

Despicable all round but I felt we also took our only average performing players off. Hendrick was the only one likely to make anything happen and he was hooked!

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:15 pm

The only time I've ever left a game earlier than this one was at Meadow Lane under Mullen when we were 3-0 down and I knew that if I left at about 65 minutes I'd catch an earlier train. But I'm glad I left when I did as that was f**king abysmal today. I'm normally in the happy clapper camp but there isn't anything I can defend about that.

We showed the correct intensity that we needed........but only at 3-0 down. That is completely unacceptable that we continue to be caught cold because we are not starting anywhere near close the required standard. The manager has to stop picking on last seasons performances as well. Mee shouldn't even be on the bench with his attempts this year and I'm not quite sure when Tarkowski learnt to go a Cruyff turn slower than mine but he needs to cut it out.

Five at the back only works if you've got very mobile midfielders but that isn't what we have got, and you have to be on drugs to think Westwood and Cork are not identical in a midfield two, and our two attacking fullbacks had to beat three of four players to get anywhere. The intensity difference between Everton and us was genuinely frightening. I'm not saying the manager should go, but you can't turn up like we are doing at the moment, we are asking to get what we got.

Sunday has to be a massive improvement or we are sunk. Suspect its too late even then as we are currently so low on confidence, with so many players out of form and not getting a scrap of luck that I just can't see turning this around.

Hart 4 - he's got to come for the first. Its a shame, but we need our keepers to be both superb shot stoppers and dominate their area.
Taylor 6 - the only bright spark in the game, but even he knows he has to do better than concede the corner than lead to their first
Gibson 5 - needs games
Mee 4 - **** poor.
Tarkowski 5 - to be honest, I'd drop him and Mee
Lowton 5 - low on confidence, but with the support our full backs get, Roberto Carlos would look crap in our team
Cork 5
Westwood 5
Hendrick 6 - shouldn't have come off. He's a better bet than Cork or Westwood at the moment
Barnes 4
Vokes 4

Can't mark the subs cos I went when they came on.

Appalling really

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:23 pm

Hart 3
Lowton 3
Tarkowski 3
Ben Mee 3
Gibson 5
Taylor 4
Cork 4
Westwood 5
Hendrick 3
Vokes 3
Barnes 3

Jesus f3cking christ. What the actual f3ck was that.

That period in the first half when all tactics went out of the window and we all just literally lined up waiting for the hoof FROM OPEN PLAY was absolutely diabolical. There aren't even any words for how bad we are.

How dare Dyche turn us into a team that plays like that. Does he actually think we want to sit and watch that disgusting dross? As if. Get shut of the inept dinosaur please.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:26 pm

Hart 3
Lowton 4
Mee 5
Tarks 5
Gibson 5
Taylor 7
Cork 6
Westwood 5
Hendrick 4
Vokes 5
Barnes 5
Subs
Jbg 4
Wood 4

Dyche 6

Poor performance against a good side, although better than quite a few other home performances this season against lesser sides.

I gave Dyche a 6, against Huddersfield and Newcastle he didn't deserve 3. Dyche at least has tried to change things and not kept sticking to the 4411 and 442 that has produced performances far worse than todays.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:32 pm

Hart 3
Lowton 3
Tarkowski 3
Mee 3
Gibson 4
Taylor 5
Cork 3
Westwood 3
Hendrick 5
Barnes 4
Vokes 4

Gudmundsson 4
McNeil 4

Tired of it all now, so deflated and bored $hitless during games.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:35 pm

Hart 3 - Stuck on his line like a rabbit caught in the headlights. I thought he had 75 international caps?? He should be bossing his 6 yard box.

Lowton 3 - clearly didn't have a clue what role he was meant to be playing and this led to him looking lost and disinterested.

Tarkowski 4 - Needs to revert back to a no-nonsense defender for now until confidence is restored.

Mee 3 - how many chances does he get when he's played so consistently poorly in virtually every game this season? Slow and indecisive.

Gibson 5 - short of match fitness but looked promising comfortable in possession.

Taylor 4 - played like a full back in a flat back 5. Set the tone when he gave away the needless corner at the beginning.

Cork 3 - See Mee

Westwood 4 - lacks the required quality and is too samey to the other midfielders he's playing alongside which leaves us very one dimensional.

Hendrick 5 - easily our best midfielder but was still way off it. Actually had a decent 10 minute spell just before he was predictably hooked. The usual 'fall guy'.

Barnes 4 - tried but limited due to lack of quality.

Vokes 3 - if he's not winning the ball in the air, he's not contributing. Today, he was comletely dominated by the defenders.

The lowest point in Dyche's tenure.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32235 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:36 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Hendrick 6 - shouldn't have come off. He's a better bet than Cork or Westwood at the moment
Hallelujah - someone else sees what I see. Understand why he did it today because he wanted to go 4-4-2 but I'd have left Hendrick on and taken Cork off.
These 3 users liked this post: expoultryboy Stevie Morgan Ashingtonclaret46

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:39 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Hallelujah - someone else sees what I see. Understand why he did it today because he wanted to go 4-4-2 but I'd have left Hendrick on and taken Cork off.
Nearly everyone around me said the same. That included several who normally struggle to see anything good in Hendrick.

Dyche had a very bad day at the office today.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 468 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:40 pm

I watched it on a feed and because of the constant buffering I gave up early into the second half. Sadly many of our team had done similar after about 20 minutes. It speaks volumes about how poor today was when Tony is marking players as a 3. He rarely if ever does that.

The next game is a massive one for Dyche. If he survives it then the January window is even bigger. He has huge credit from most Burnley fans for what he has done for our club and make no mistake he has done more than probably every other manager combined in my time as a fan. But that credit is running out. Many things appear wrong and I am not sure he can fix them. Worrying times ahead...

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:40 pm

There was some cheers near us when Hendrick was subbed.

I shudder to think what game they thought they were watching if they genuinely thought taking off our best player at the time (low bar but still) is a good idea.

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:50 pm

Hendrick was dreadful. He played like a walking Zombie.

I have supported him all season and have wanted Dyche to play him in the mid 3, but by God sir he was way of the mark today.

Cork and Westwood at least tried. Hendrick was miles away from the races and really needs to look at his commitment, the lad needs dynamite up his jacksy

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:53 pm

At least there's none of the so called "Happy clappers" with these votes. We all know what we saw today.

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:54 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:There was some cheers near us when Hendrick was subbed.

I shudder to think what game they thought they were watching if they genuinely thought taking off our best player at the time (low bar but still) is a good idea.
You don't half spout some crap. I read in one of your other posts that you left just after half time. How the hell can you come on here spouting when you missed half of the match

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32235 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:00 pm

agreenwood wrote:Nearly everyone around me said the same. That included several who normally struggle to see anything good in Hendrick.

I've never understood all the negativity towards Hendrick, when he was playing regularly in that forward role last season was when we were getting the good results.

Dyche did have a bad day at the office but probably little anyone can do once you are 3-0 down with only 22 minutes gone and us looking shambolic.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Dyche did have a bad day at the office but probably little anyone can do once you are 3-0 down with only 22 minutes gone and us looking shambolic.
Do you not think Dyche had anything to do with the fact we were 3-0 with 20 gone?
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum SGr

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:13 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I've never understood all the negativity towards Hendrick, when he was playing regularly in that forward role last season was when we were getting the good results.

Dyche did have a bad day at the office but probably little anyone can do once you are 3-0 down with only 22 minutes gone and us looking shambolic.
If only Hendrick had been on loan 8 years ago.

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Possibly one of the worst Boxing Day's I've ever had. I've driven home in the fog. (My wife and son were in the car and we didn't utter a single word on the way home to Chester) Had a beer. A bite to eat and now I've logged in to rate the players. I haven't read anyone else's comments so here goes my two penny worth after a few hours to calm down.

Hart 3 Has to be benched now. It's obvious that the defence do not feel comfortable with him in goal and Tom HAS to return.
Lowton 4 Needless foul for their 2nd. Put a lot of effort in so whilst he loses point for dumb foul he gains one for trying.
Taylor 4 Dumb corner given away that eventually resulted in their 1st goal but at least he gave it a go.
Gibson 6 I was gobsmacked when he was hooked as he was IMHO the most composed defender.
Tarkowski 4 Can do better.
Mee 4 Can do a lot better and would have been hooked before Gibson. Dyche loyalty going against common sense IMHO.
Westwood 4 Neat on the ball but offers SFA going forward.
Cork 6* I thought he was our best player and put a lot into the game.
Hendrick 5 Was having his best spell of the game when he got hooked???
Barnes 6 Tried his best but was feeding off scraps all game.
Vokes 5 See Barnes.

McNeil 4 Tough to really rate the lad as he was thrown into the deep end.
Gudmundsson 5 Not match fit unfortunately.

Whatever Dyche had planned tactically went out of the window after ten minutes. Two bad defensive mistakes and the game had all but gone.

Message to fans who left early in the 1st half. "Don't bother coming back!"

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:22 pm

taio wrote:A large portion of the crowd had quite rightly done one. I must be stupid for staying until the end.
Said ally for me when Vokes was clapped off and Wood came on. Not a clap in the stand for him entering the pitch.

We desperately need a leader and a striker that Vokes and Barnes can compliment.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:28 pm

5-1 didn't reflect the overall balance of the game but still this was a terrifying afternoon.

Hart - 4 - he's not making howlers but he's conceding far too many goals where he might go better, and to that list we can include the first and second, and possibly the fourth (either for the shot itself or for the cheap corner he conceded which led to it) and fifth goals.

Lowton - 4 - not really a wing back but still not great and picked up another booking. Needless foul for second goal.

Taylor - 7 - thought he defended well, made more goal saving blocks than the goalkeeper and provided at least a semblance of an attackinh threat.

Tarks - 4 -if we're playing a back 3, he has to be in the middle. Trying to use your right centre back as the focal point of your build up from deep makes your attacks predictable and the centre back easy to close down. So it proved.

Mee - 3. As bad as he's been in a Burnley shirt. Doesn't have the distribution skills to play at the centre of a back 3, and his defending looked to be catastrophic for both first and third goal.

Gibson - 6 - best of our central defenders on the day with a couple of excellent interventions.

Westwood - 4 - ineffective in every department.

Cork - 5 - kept on battling but he looks slow and ponderous at the minute.

Hendrick - 6 - as poor as Westwood in the first half but vastly improved after the break - he has single handedly produced our only two moments of class in the game to date in the fifteen minutes before he was inexplicably hooked.

Vokes - 4 - given little chance by the bewildering set up but he was ineffective.

Barnes - 6 - given equally little chance by the system but got better once we went 442 and even more so once he had someone better equipped to start running the channels.

JBG - 5 - no great impact but at least we began to play some triangles down the right when he came on.

McNeill - 5 - realistically, including one mark for being a kid, but the truth is he was an ill-conceived substitution, and he's still not ready for this level of football (understandably).

Wood - 6 - carried a bit of a threat and ran the channels better than anyone had previously.

This team looked a bad idea on paper and it took little for time for all those fears to become a reality. Against 3 large, physical centre backs, no wingers and two target men felt like a bad idea - and so it proved, forcing us to try repeatedly to set up long diagonals which not only had minimal chance of success given the strengths of Everton's centre backs, but also placed our centre backs under pressure by telegraphing our intentions and giving Everton every chance to press them. It was all a bit reminiscent of an extreme reenactment of the Huddersfield game when we failed utterly to exploit the opposition in their weakness behind the wing-backs but instead played to their strengths - except at least against Huddersfield we had two wingers on the park.

Dyche made his mark at Burnley with no nonsense, common sense management which focused on a solid base and a quick, positive attacking thrusts down the channels or into areas the opposition we weak. We used to be great against teams playing 3 centre backs because we'd get the ball into wide areas and get a mobile forward combining with a winger and a full back to create an overlap, forcing the centre backs out of their comfort zone. The most worrying trend recently isn't individual errors or performances, but the fact we've gone so far away from those basic principles and found ourselves wholly reliant on long diagonals and set pieces as the entire source of our attacking threat. As an attacking outfit, we played into Everton hands today by playing a game that was an utter parody of Dyche himself and everything his detractors have (hitherto wrongly) perceived him to be.

Defensively though we were every bit as chaotic and we once again conceded an opening goal as a result of sheer disorganisation, a trend so obvious the keeper must be a scrutinised a a potential partial cause of the problem. In part the bewildering change in the 3 centre banks might have contributed to the confusion (even if Gibson was blameless himself), but the other part of this equation is a calamitous number of individual errors - both from the keeper, who is cutting an increasingly uncertain figure, and from the entirety of the back 5.

In fairness the players kept on going well and battling and showed enough pride to give some reason for optimism, and the stats show this wasn't really a 5-1 game. But still, things need to change and quick. We need to get back to being Burnley - not only in going to places like Arsenal and Spurs and sticking a back 5 behind the ball and being physical and obdurate, but in defending set plays well, making good decisions and attacking with real purpose where opponents don't want us to. Thankfully we're not cut adrift but if the next 4 games don't yield points we really will be in irreversible trouble. If there's any credit to be taken from today it's that the players
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:34 pm

agreenwood wrote:Nearly everyone around me said the same. That included several who normally struggle to see anything good in Hendrick.

He had a shocker, in every respect. Hendrick had produced every moment of quality we'd produced as a team in the second half before he was subbed.

The thing to do seemed to me to be to leave Hendrick on alongside Westwood and Cork, but leave him narrow on one side of a four and bring on one of our two strikers capable of running the channels - Vydra or Wood - to join one of our two target men. We didn't move any of their 3 centre backs around at all until Wood came on, and McNeil was (no criticism of him, he had a hppelsss task) utterly ineffective.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:38 pm

I am trying to be objective after watching a hideous TEAM performance. I could mark everyone down but really it was the TEAM that was the problem.

Hart 5 - His reluctance to leave his line has turned him from International keeper into a below average keeper.
Lowton - 5 His enthusiasm isn't in question but his quality/confidence is diminishing every game.
Tarkowski - 5 He has qualities that we aren't truly capable of unlocking. He will do better elsewhere and it could be soon.
Mee - 5 I can't begin to fathom why he has become so predictably bad
Gibson - 6 A promising debut, extra point for the goal. MOM
Taylor - 5 Vulnerable needs a good game but unlikely to get one. Never gives up is an endearing trait.
Hendrick - 4 Almost invisible today
Cork -5 Tries hard but is shockingly exposed in this poor side.
Westwood - 6 Appears the only one with drive and a determination to keep the ball moving. Unfortunately like everyone else, it's often backwards.
Vokes - 5 He is a trier but his lack of pace and athleticism is exposed nearly every time the ball reaches him.
Barnes - 5 Another trier but lacking creativity

Gudmunsson - 5 Had little affect on the game
Wood - 5 Had little affect on the game
McNeil - 5 Had little affect on the game

Dyche needed to try something different, he did last week but then changed it again and it hasn't worked. Very little HAS worked so far but we are in reality at our natural level again but conceding at an alarming rate. 2 goals more than all of last season at the halfway point suggests to me it isn't coming back unless Pope returns and performs a miracle AND we find a ball winner in midfield AND someone, anyone, to put the bloody thing in the net.
Last edited by JohnMac on Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:39 pm

CaptJohn wrote:Possibly one of the worst Boxing Day's I've ever had. I've driven home in the fog. (My wife and son were in the car and we didn't utter a single word on the way home to Chester) Had a beer. A bite to eat and now I've logged in to rate the players. I haven't read anyone else's comments so here goes my two penny worth after a few hours to calm down.

Hart 3 Has to be benched now. It's obvious that the defence do not feel comfortable with him in goal and Tom HAS to return.
Lowton 4 Needless foul for their 2nd. Put a lot of effort in so whilst he loses point for dumb foul he gains one for trying.
Taylor 4 Dumb corner given away that eventually resulted in their 1st goal but at least he gave it a go.
Gibson 6 I was gobsmacked when he was hooked as he was IMHO the most composed defender.
Tarkowski 4 Can do better.
Mee 4 Can do a lot better and would have been hooked before Gibson. Dyche loyalty going against common sense IMHO.
Westwood 4 Neat on the ball but offers SFA going forward.
Cork 6* I thought he was our best player and put a lot into the game.
Hendrick 5 Was having his best spell of the game when he got hooked???
Barnes 6 Tried his best but was feeding off scraps all game.
Vokes 5 See Barnes.

McNeil 4 Tough to really rate the lad as he was thrown into the deep end.
Gudmundsson 5 Not match fit unfortunately.

Whatever Dyche had planned tactically went out of the window after ten minutes. Two bad defensive mistakes and the game had all but gone.

Message to fans who left early in the 1st half. "Don't bother coming back!"
They hooked Gibson because we went 442. It was tactical and nothing to do with his performance

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1938 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:41 pm

Top Claret wrote:They hooked Gibson because we went 442. It was tactical and nothing to do with his performance
He wasn’t the only centre back.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Claretto wrote: He's a right footed David Jones.
Absolutely spot on. Mind you, some on here will see that as a compliment.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:46 pm

Dyche doesn’t know his best side anymore. Not in his mind and not in ours.

He changes the team every week and we lose every week. Nothing says relegation more than that.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:50 pm

Top Claret wrote:They hooked Gibson because we went 442. It was tactical and nothing to do with his performance

He was also on a yellow, to be fair. That said you had Mee who seemed away with the fairies and Tarks making unusual mistakes. It would have done Mee good to be taken off and let Dyche make a statement.
This user liked this post: Top Claret

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:54 pm

Depressing to see posts from positive supporters saying how poor we were. I didn’t see the game fortunately but I always look for certain posters ratings and it’s sad reading. We need to sort this out quickly.

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:07 pm

Hart 2
Lowton 3
Tarks 3
Mee 3
Gibson 4
Taylor 5
Westwood 3
Cork 4
Hendrick 2
Barnes 4
Vokes 3

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Pearcey wrote:Depressing to see posts from positive supporters saying how poor we were. I didn’t see the game fortunately but I always look for certain posters ratings and it’s sad reading. We need to sort this out quickly.
Probably getting past the point of sorting it out quickly cannot see how this team are going to pick up 25 plus points needed from here.

Jase_H
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Jase_H » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:11 pm

Hart 4
Lowton 4
Tarkowski 4
Mee 4
Gibson 6
Taylor 6
Westwood 4
Cork 4
Hendrick 5
Barnes 4
Vokes 4

Gudmundsson 4
McNeil 4

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:23 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Mee 5
I wouldn’t disagree with any of your other scores. And I’m glad a few on here recognise that Hendrick brought us something extra today. But a 5 for Mee? Equally our best player today?? Surely that’s a mistake...?

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Hart 3
Taylor 3
Mee 4
Tarky 4
Gibson 5
Lowton 4
Cork 5
Westwood 5
Hendrick 5
Barnes 5
Vokes 5

Guddy 5
McNeil 4

Greeny
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Greeny » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:00 am

Rooster Booster you been on an all day drinking session? Ben Mee one of our best players today. Holy smoke. He was terrible and should have been hooked + ideally benched for the next games.
This user liked this post: burnleymik

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:19 am

No point marking, it would be just the same as the other posts. I’ll just say Hendrick and Gibson were our two best players, yet both were hooked, I suspect because they come lower down the Dyche pecking order. He does like a pecking order.

Hart was poor, but it is the first time I have said that. I like his high standards, normally, he does have weaknesses but saves plenty too.

My other observation is that are a lot of risk averse, happy clapper style posters (who I admire for those traits) starting to pull no punches. That’s a big change. Sunday and Wednesday are crucial. We have to win both.

maidenover
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by maidenover » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:19 am

Hart 3
Lowton 3
Tarkowski 3
Mee 3
Gibson 5
Taylor 5
Cork 3
Westwood 3
Hendrick 5
Barnes 5
Vokes 4

Gudmundsson 4
McNeil 4

HiroshimaClaret
Been Liked: 746 times
Has Liked: 927 times

Post by HiroshimaClaret » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:21 am

I`m giving myself a `10` as after seeing the line-up, I took the swift and correct decision (wish I could say the same of Dyche) not to waste 2 hours of my life into the wee hours watching what was nailed on to be a defeat.

Never actually said this before but Dyche has to go. He is incapable of putting a team on the pitch with the slightest suggestion of an attacking threat, regardless of injuries/form. He has been in charge of the last couple of transfer windows, he gave the thumbs up to the Vydra signing yet seems to have cast him into the wilderness. This is just one example that now shows Dyche is incapable of reversing this YEAR LONG decline. 6 years blah, blah blah...this is football and it is a ruthless BUSINESS.

You had a tremendous 5 years Mr Dyche butr the last 12 months has shown how long in the tooth you have become, showing clear reticence to accept what is patently clear to many blind men on galloping horses.

A shambolic way to limp, aimlessly into the New Year.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:27 am

Hart 3 lower if acceptable!
Lowton 4
Tarks 4
Mee 5
Gibson 4
Taylor 4
Cork 5
Westwood 5
Hendrick 5
Barnes 6
Vokes 5

McNeil 4
JBG 4
Wood 4

Oh dear me!

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:28 am

Hart 3
Lowton 4
Tarkowski 4
Mee 4
Gibson 5
Taylor 3
Cork 3
Westwood 3
Hendrick 4
Barnes 5
Vokes 4

Gudmundsson 4
McNeil 4

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:30 am

Ben Mee should have been benched weeks ago but for some inexplicable reason he remains undroppable?