Dyche expects tough window

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Re: Dyche expects tough window

Post by MDWat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:39 pm

Another interview to dampen fans enthusiasm further. Disappointing and boring from the manager.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:43 pm

To be fair didn't he say this ages ago?

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:47 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I wouldn't include Rigg to be honest, I doubt he'll have a major influence on this window. But it is certainly big for the chairman, who seems to have taken control of it all in recent years, and the manager.
I understand this to a point and the club’s media dept. has been at pains to ensure that expectations aren’t raised - but surely one benefit of his experience will be his relationships and contacts from the jobs he’s had down the years - and also a better knowledge around recruitment strategy - surely this should give us a better chance than Rigg not being there, however it gets dressed down.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:47 pm

He has said this before, YES.

Yet we are in need of 2-3 players to go straight into our starting eleven if we stand any chance of staying up, so to say we need to bide our time is not encouraging

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:47 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:We create more money than Championship clubs, but their owners are still willing and able, to bank roll them beyond what they create. In the real world Burnley can't do that. You can only spend the money once, and when it's gone.........
Frustrating, but we do what we need to do to survive. Survival being staying in existence, not staying in the Premier League.
But we create much more money than championship clubs, very few (in fact only the recently relegated) can be bankrolled to that extent.

We are certainly capable of competing with them if we want to, it's just at times we may decide a player isn't worth what a championship club decides they are

jlup1980
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 525 times

Post by jlup1980 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:48 pm

TVC15 wrote:To me that is accepting relegation.
There is a reason these players are not playing for top championship teams or in the premier league. And I know this approach has served us well in the past but we are no longer in a financial position where it is necessary for us to find bargains all the time. We should always be looking down the leagues for players we think we can develop and increase the value but this takes time and at the moment that is something we do not have. Taking a punt on one or of 2 these is fine but only if we are also buying proven quality who can walk straight into the first eleven.
Maupay and Watkins would walk into our team. They've both got pace and genuine goal threat (something we currently have neither of at the moment).

They've scored 22 and assisted another 9 between them already this season and that's in a struggling team. Half of that again between now and the end of the season would be enough to keep us up!!

I agree there's no point taking punts (Vydra is a classic example, he's been proven to not be PL quality previously) but I feel there are some genuine hidden gems in the Championship who would improve our starting 11.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:59 pm

Dyched wrote:Rubbish. Last January we could guarantee a player 18 months PL football. Only us and the top 6 could do that. We could have spent big and offer big wages. Teams like us put buy out clauses, relegation clauses in contracts. This myth about being relegated and stuck with a squad on £80,000 a week is rubbish. Well unless you have a stupid chairman in charge.
Not rubbish at all. As for the clauses, I know that we have had players close to signing who then wouldn't with that relegation clause included.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:00 pm

jlup1980 wrote:Maupay and Watkins would walk into our team. They've both got pace and genuine goal threat (something we currently have neither of at the moment).

They've scored 22 and assisted another 9 between them already this season and that's in a struggling team. Half of that again between now and the end of the season would be enough to keep us up!!

I agree there's no point taking punts (Vydra is a classic example, he's been proven to not be PL quality previously) but I feel there are some genuine hidden gems in the Championship who would improve our starting 11.
That is a very simplistic view to say they would walk into our first team. Vydra was the leagues top scorer last year.
Look at Hogan for Villa - £15m after scoring loads of goals for Brentford....hardly ever scored since.

Brentford would want best part of £20m for those 2 players so they do not even fall into the bargain bucket low risk type transfer like Tarks, Pope, Keane, JBG etc. We paid £8m for those players and there would not be much change out of £100m now. I know this is strengthening the argument that there is quality out there at cheap prices but all the 4 players I mentioned needed at least 12 months before they got in the first team and show their potential and it would be the same for most players in the lower leagues
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I wouldn't include Rigg to be honest, I doubt he'll have a major influence on this window. But it is certainly big for the chairman, who seems to have taken control of it all in recent years, and the manager.
I definitely do. I'm with cricketfieldclarets on this one. If you are taking the wage you do the job. You don't sit in the background drinking tea and eating crumpets. Rigg has had more than enough time to process our scout reports and target lists. Being able to hit the ground running is what we are paying for.

If he can't get up to speed and combine our current intelligence reports with his own knowledge of players to the extent that he can contribute something we have hired the wrong bloke. The role of technical director also encompasses deal making and getting transfers over the line, so at the very least I would expect him to play a part in that.

If he wasn't expected to contribute immediately we could have employed him after the window and saved ourselves a few bob. Granting him a safe seat out of the direct line of fire isn't the Burnley way. This is a team endeavour and "the minimum requirement is maximum effort" in every department. We aren't QPR or Fulham.

If you are taking a full wage that means full participation and accountability.

This is a MASSIVE window for us, probably the biggest we have faced in quite awhile, and we need everyone giving 100% to make it a success.
These 9 users liked this post: jojomk1 tim_noone IndigoLake kaptin1 claret_in_exile cricketfieldclarets BabylonClaret tiger76 longsidepies

Turfytop
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 449 times

Post by Turfytop » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:13 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Not rubbish at all. As for the clauses, I know that we have had players close to signing who then wouldn't with that relegation clause included.
Any other poster writes something like this and you say rubbish, where’s your facts, another who likes to think they have inside info, so come on tony where’s your facts on this

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:14 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Spend that much and the wage bill would rise to a level at which we can't cope. It's the wage bill that becomes the most important, not the transfer fees.
Its called premier money for a reason - to pay the wages and negotiate a wage drop for relegation

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Think we need players who can remain fit. I know it's part and parcel of football but our record with injuries over the last decade appears pretty high.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:I definitely do. I'm with cricketfieldclarets on this one. If you are taking the wage you do the job. You don't sit in the background drinking tea and eating crumpets. Rigg has had more than enough time to process our scout reports and target lists. Being able to hit the ground running is what we are paying for.

If he can't get up to speed and combine our current intelligence reports with his own knowledge of players to the extent that he can contribute something we have hired the wrong bloke. The role of technical director also encompasses deal making and getting transfers over the line, so at the very least I would expect him to play a part in that.

If he wasn't expected to contribute immediately we could have employed him after the window and saved ourselves a few bob. Granting him a safe seat out of the direct line of fire isn't the Burnley way. This is a team endeavour and "the minimum requirement is maximum effort" in every department. We aren't QPR or Fulham.

If you are taking a full wage that means full participation and accountability.

This is a MASSIVE window for us, probably the biggest we have faced in quite awhile, and we need everyone giving 100% to make it a success.
The manager has said he will play a part but also that he's been brought in for a long term role rather than necessarily for this window. I am absolutely sure he'll play a part in what we do or don't do in this window and his contacts will hopefully prove invaluable, but I don't see him having a major role just yet but I do once we get to the next window. I would have thought targets would have been set and initial progress would have been made before his appointment, but he will play a part although his role will become more significant beyond this particular window.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Not rubbish at all. As for the clauses, I know that we have had players close to signing who then wouldn't with that relegation clause included.
ok please name them

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:25 pm

ashtonlongsider wrote:Think we need players who can remain fit. I know it's part and parcel of football but our record with injuries over the last decade appears pretty high.
You can't legislate for serious contact injuries such as the one Brady suffered at Leicester as an example. They happen in football and always will. Then you have the problem when these players come back. They suffer various niggles etc. as Brady has done. You probably can't legislate either for the wear and tear type injuries that require surgery such as those that Ward and Defour have faced.

Then there are the absolute freaks. Two goalkeepers getting dislocated shoulders, two central defenders both needing hernia surgery twice, not much you can do about that.

What we have been good at in recent years are what Dyche refers to as the soft tissue injuries. Those are the ones that, with good planning, you can avoid. What the likes of some of our players have suffered are just unavoidable and they do happen at most clubs. We had that dreadful run of cruciates not too long ago - Marney, Long, Vokes, Barnes, Jutkiewicz - we've only had one in the last three and a half years. Fingers crossed we don't get any more.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:27 pm

FactualFrank wrote:He said it, but this was last month:

Everyone knows January's a really tough window so, to make it clear, we're not looking for Mike to come in and miraculously hand over seven players.
Ok, so it is the old quote which was discussed at the time being rehashed for no reason.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Spend that much and the wage bill would rise to a level at which we can't cope. It's the wage bill that becomes the most important, not the transfer fees.
Wages are an important factor

And it doesn't help when we have 5 keepers and 6 strikers on the books

Given our 4 main strikers are all contracted for the next 2.5 years can't see much business in finding another

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:48 pm

jojomk1 wrote:Wages are an important factor

Given our 4 main strikers are all contracted for the next 2.5 years can't see much business in finding another
We can always sell them

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:03 pm

jojomk1 wrote:Wages are an important factor

Certainly an imbalance with the goalkeepers brought about by the injuries, but that needs addressing. I think we are all expecting Tom to go and I think Lindegaard will probably leave in the summer.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Lindegaard is out of contract at the end of this season but Legzdins still has another year on his contract plus we paid £1m for him (Happy Harry sure stuffed us up in that deal)

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:29 pm

The wages are more important then the transfer fees to a greater extent these days than I had realised after listening to our CEO (might be wrong about that title) Dave? who came from Bradford a few years ago, the add ons etc are a killer.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:34 pm

"Expects a tough window"!! Knock me down with a feather :o

TBH He's lucky to be having a window given our performances over the past 12 months.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:34 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:Any context to the "tough window" quote or is it just up there to allow folk to have a pop at the club again?

It will be a tough window; we are in a dire position and desperately need a couple of bodies in key positions. Clubs know that so will try to screw us on transfer fees. Players and their agents will also know it so will be wary of joining us or will also demand higher wages.

I really can't see how we'll get the players we need without having our pants pulled down.
This is my take on things and it's another long one. For those of you about to read you might be well advised to pour yourself a strong coffee to help keep you awake. For those that don't appreciate a bit of reading please disregard this post without making any negative comments about its length.

The winter window is tough. Notable players in the Premiership aren't going to come to us. Clubs that are in promotion contention or those battling against relegation aren't going to want to sell to us, even if their players might welcome a move.

So our pool of potential targets is restricted to

Players that are nearing the end of their contracts, because their clubs are at risk of them leaving for nothing in the next window.

Players that are actively looking to move clubs, because they are sat on the sidelines and not getting any game time. Keepers aside, their clubs aren't in a position to give them game time and they might welcome a cash injection which would satisfy all parties.

Players at clubs in the middle of the Championship pack who look reasonably solid and could look at an offer and possibly release a player without it impacting heavily on their position.

A small niche should also be made for players at clubs who would consent to the transfer of a player if it included an immediate loan back for the remainder of the season.

And last but not least, players with hugely inflated price tags that don't reflect their ability or worth to us.

The same applies to clubs in Scottish clubs and the wider world.

Taking all of those factors into account explains why the pool of players is very limited in the winter window and as in any supply vs demand scenario that means a price hike. The shorter length of the window also means a steeper upward trend for prices as the time passes, because it means any club you buy from has to buy a replacement with even less time and in some case even fewer options.

This window will be particularly tough for us, because we don't have the relative security of a mid table position like we did last year. The final end of the season outvome could go either way at this point, although despite the doom mongers we are actually only 4 points from safety. However, we will need to address the possibility of relegation and it will have an impact on our dealings. It will certainly be considered by any players we approach.

Spending big doesn't always equate to an increase in overall performance as others have said. The only thing that can be guaranteed is that you spend a lot of money. Doing so lowers your immediate cash reserves and if it doesn't work out the club could be stuck with players on big wages that have to be paid out of a reduced revenue stream (balloon payments aside). That doesn't take into account that they might want to leave if we go down or that they might not want to sign, because of our current position, especially if relegation wage deductions are part of our offer.

We also have to take into account the fact we only have three empty first team slots to fill (four if a keeper leaves and we run with two, relying on the emergency keeper rule). Anyone that we do bring in has to be able to hit the ground running and contribute immediately, apart from any players in the niche loan back category (looks up at Scotland).

More importantly, all of our current players are on fairly long contracts so if we fill those empty slots now we can't fill them in the next window without players leaving, even if we have the money to do so.

So was Sean wrong to say the next window will be tough?

No, not at all. Granted we have definitely made a rod for our own back in some respects, but that doesn't detract from the difficult task that is now at hand. I see this upcoming transfer window as one that could make us or break us.

In my opinion we need to target younger players who are on the border line between Championship standard and Premiership standard. The sort of players who can play an immediate part if they are called upon, with the potential to develop into quality Premiership players. That way they can give us greater strength in depth and tactical flexibility for the current campaign. If we stay up they can challenge for a starting spot as they improve. If we go down and players leave as they often do at a club that is relegated they can step up to full involvement early as quality Championship players.

So I would be looking at young players who are on the road to establishing themselves with the potential to become a lot better. That way we will benefit whatever league we are in next year. Focussing on older established players could leave us with high wage earners on the books who aren't suited to the physical demands of the Championship we might find ourselves in.

Considering that we only have three empty slots at the moment I would also like to see players that can cover multiple positions for the same strength in depth reason. Bringing in players who can do a bit in a number of different positions will also give them a greater chance of playing, which will be an attractive lure for some players. Come here and sit on the side lines while you wait for a space isn't an attractive sales pitch. A realistic chance of being involved is. We had the right idea with Clucas, but the wrong player.

That is why I picked out players like Sinkgraven, Perreira, Zuber and Browne in my suggestions for possible targets. All of them can play in more than one position and they tick the middle ground box. Zuber would move to the front of the queue after the injury to Lennon and the more pressing need for another winger. Looking to the future both Zuber and Sinkgraven could do a job at left back in the future if the need arises, although the recent activation of Daleys one year club option makes it less likely we could attract him. I'm sure that there are other players out there that would fit the bill that I am unaware of.

I did like the section of Sean's interview were he highlighted the need to bring in some development players to provide us with a future. I suspect he was alluding to the development squad which would tie in with Riggs knowledge of U23 targets. That was very welcome and certainly something we have to focus on sooner than later. Having a conveyor belt of talent is something we have been lacking for a very long time and it would give us a lot of options moving forward.

Lawrence Shankland (loan back), Kyle Scott and Chris Cadden could be candidates for that department.

We have already suffered one bad window, pottering about in response to a reactive strategy could easily result in two mediocre windows on the trot. Such an outcome could have a severely negative impact on the remainder of this season and the next. To use a management catch phrase "if you fail to plan you plan to fail" or in our case "if you plan to do nothing you will achieve nothing".

The upcoming window is a time to spend and it is a time to be proactive, because standing still is a sure fire recipe for regression. Even if we can't bring in any players for the first team we should still be looking to buy young players for our development squad and the future.

Parking the bus can be effective on the pitch, but it is not an effective strategy for any transfer window. Waiting around to see what happens is a disaster in the making that will end in reduced choice, even higher prices and the possibility of no incomings or unsuitable incomings. The question of who we should buy is one that should be addressed with prudence and very careful consideration.

However, the question of whether we should buy now or wait is one that should not be part of our thinking for the next window, because the time to buy is definitely now!

A couple of tasty loans would be good if we could bring them in to tide us over, but I would much prefer us to buy if we can source some suitable players.
These 2 users liked this post: upanatem BabylonClaret

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Problem with that post is that if SD or Rigg decide to come on this board for a bit of inspirational advice by the time they have finished reading it the transfer window will be over !
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Long Time Lurker

nonayclaret
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 64 times

Post by nonayclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:39 pm

" We invested in Championship players and it's showing."

This can't be right! These players got us to 7th in the Premier League last season. They are therefore, PL players who are not playing as well this season.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:43 pm

JohnMac wrote:If we get a player with searing pace he'll still have to hang around for the rest to catch up :D

Ball winner essential for me and an old head who can use it properly. A Charlie Adam type player.
If we get a player with searing pace he will be in Todmorden before someone has played a through ball to him
This user liked this post: JohnMac

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:44 pm

Pochetino saying the January window is very tough - another manager with a chairman who wont back him to any great extent.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:46 pm

nonayclaret wrote:" We invested in Championship players and it's showing."

This can't be right! These players got us to 7th in the Premier League last season. They are therefore, PL players who are not playing as well this season.
??
Vydra - signed from a Championship team
Gibson - signed from a Championship team
Hart - nobody else wanted him

Did the rest of us miss the PL players we signed in summer ?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Hard to disagree with most of that Long Time Lurker. Only those living in fantasy land who think we can just go out and spend £100m could really disagree.

My first post on this thread was to ask where the quote came from and its context; it turns out it's a month old and has just presumably been highlighted again to provide some more ammo for those who want to criticise the club. It's a sad state of affairs.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:53 pm

ClaretTony wrote:You can't legislate for serious contact injuries such as the one Brady suffered at Leicester as an example. They happen in football and always will. Then you have the problem when these players come back. They suffer various niggles etc. as Brady has done. You probably can't legislate either for the wear and tear type injuries that require surgery such as those that Ward and Defour have faced.
But you can legislate that something will happen. And when you carry a perilously small squad you have no resistance to these things happening ..... and that’s the position we find ourselves in. Just a couple of injuries and our first XI is markedly weaker.

The other thing to point out is that we knew this summer Brady and Defour were coming back from long term injuries and so would be susceptible to these niggly injuries but we did absolutely nothing to counter that. Instead the message was “they’ll be like two new signings” knowing full well this could play out the way it has.

Your constant defence of the club is admirable but last summer was an absolute horror show. And this isn’t hindsight talking, a lot of people felt that way.

You can admire Dyche and the board (as I do) whilst thinking they had a shocker of a summer (which I do). It’s then only natural to be considered that the same old tired, defeatist messages are now coming out of the club.

ps. I do not accept Rigg needs time to bed in. He’s not spent the last year scouting cricketers or rugby players. I’d expect him to have a database of players ready to access given his long standing career in the game.
These 11 users liked this post: boatshed bill claret_in_exile BOYSIE31 TsarBomba Goodclaret IndigoLake Turfytop beddie BabylonClaret longsidepies SGr

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:53 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Pochetino saying the January window is very tough - another manager with a chairman who wont back him to any great extent.
Don’t be silly

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:55 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Pochetino saying the January window is very tough - another manager with a chairman who wont back him to any great extent.
Would be a great point if we were just months away from moving into our brand spanking new ground having spent all our money on that.

But we’re not. So it’s not.

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:??

A tad unfair.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting we had a good transfer window in the summer, but wasn't Vydra top scorer in the Championship last year?

Gibson got an England call-up and did a good job in the top flight when Boro got relegated.

Hart hasn't played outside the EPL since he was at Shrewsbury. His wages were the issue and we got him after Citeh gave him a golden handshake.
These 2 users liked this post: WestMidsClaret IndigoLake

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:02 pm

TVC15 wrote:Problem with that post is that if SD or Rigg decide to come on this board for a bit of inspirational advice by the time they have finished reading it the transfer window will be over !
If they did then I'm fairly sure they would skip read through the first part, because they have already thought of and considered the things I mentioned and more. Unfortunately Sean doesn't have the luxury of so many words when he gives interviews for the papers so everyone immediately jumps on his back, even though he makes nearly all the same points with far greater brevity.

It would be nice if people could see that instead of leaping to the attack. If our players could get in offensive positions so quickly and easily we would win every game 10-0.

I just take solace from the fact that despite the doubters on here I firmly believe that Sean and Mike truly want the best for our club and town and they doing the best they can to get results on and off the pitch. They might not come through every single time for us, but they have a good record of more hits than misses and plenty of good will in the bank they should be allowed to draw upon. I trust them to turn things around and get us back on an upward trajectory, even if it means taking one step backwards now and then.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Dyched wrote:Don’t be silly
how is it silly ?

Did Pochetino come out and say it will be a tough window - yes
Does Levy back him to the extent of others - no

both facts

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:04 pm

claret_in_exile wrote:
Hart hasn't played outside the EPL since he was at Shrewsbury.
Not to be a pedant, but Torino aren’t in the EPL.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:how is it silly ?

both facts
Without context.

They’re building a stadium. We’re not.

nonayclaret

Post by nonayclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:05 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:??

Hart was brought in because our two top keepers were injured. I think most people thought that he was a great signing and he has been our MOM several times. You can't say he isn't PL standard. He has unfortunately moved onto the "who-to-blame-this-week list" - it was Wood last week.

Gibson and Vydra have hardly featured, but when they have they have scored, and played well. So how can you say they aren't PL standard if you haven't seen them in many games yet?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:08 pm

Socrates wrote:Without context.

They’re building a stadium. We’re not.
really ? have a look at his signings pre "we are moving stadium" - by top 4 PL standards he's not been backed like those around him have - the numbers speak for themselves. https://www.transfermarkt.com/mauricio- ... ainer/9044

Anyway, I don't want to turn it into about Spurs !

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:10 pm

nonayclaret wrote:Hart was brought in because our two top keepers were injured. I think most people thought that he was a great signing and he has been our MOM several times. You can't say he isn't PL standard. He has unfortunately moved onto the "who-to-blame-this-week list" - it was Wood last week.

Gibson and Vydra have hardly featured, but when they have they have scored, and played well. So how can you say they aren't PL standard if you haven't seen them in many games yet?
Where did I say (ever) that they weren't PL standard ? They were signed from the Championship, that was the ONLY point I was making

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:how is it silly ?

both facts
They’ve built a stadium.
They need another stricker who’s better than Llorente and who will play a few minutes here and there. You’re talking £40m for about 5 minutes a week. Or unless they buy better than kane. About £200m.
Then there is every other position. How much to replace Alli or Son. Trippier or Davies. Lloris. Dier. About £50/60m a piece.

It’s tough for Spurs because they ain’t massive. They can’t have great players sat on the bench like other European clubs. They do bloody well to have Wanyama, Lamela, Dembele, etc on the bench already. Unless you’re City, Barcalona, Real Madrid, PSG you simply can’t do it. It’s why Chelsea want Wilson. Why Liverpool have nobody of note behind Mane, Firmino and Salah.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:16 pm

Socrates wrote:ps. I do not accept Rigg needs time to bed in
Dyche does

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:17 pm

Socrates wrote:Not to be a pedant, but Torino aren’t in the EPL.
Aye, good point. Serie A, though.

nonayclaret

Post by nonayclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:Where did I say (ever) that they weren't PL standard ? They were signed from the Championship, that was the ONLY point I was making
My original point was to a point about our signings being Championship standard and showing. I said that essentially the squad who got us to 7th is the same as now. The players you mentioned did come from the Championship but they were additions; Hart coming from Europe. Vydra and Gibson need a bigger chance to show their potential.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:This is my take on things and it's another long one.
A good post but the real take away from that is that we should have done better in the summer window. In particular, those younger, promising players are unlikely to come in during the January window and make an instant impact (and they'll probably cost more).

What's done is done however and the club needs to decide if it's going to pay the premium for screwing up the summer window or save the money and hope for the best. It's a problem of its own making.
This user liked this post: BabylonClaret

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Imagine the situation here then. We have a highly desired player ready and willing to sign, pen in hand,
and we, at the last minute, throw a curve ball and just chuck in a clause whereby we will slash his wage
in half if we get relegated.

If this is anywhere remotely like the scenario that took place, then we deserve everything we get (or don't get) in the
transfer market. Playing at baby house is not a good idea in that market place.

The news of our ways of carrying out business will have circulated like wildfire and we may as well kiss it all goodbye
in that case.

Beggars belief if that's the sort of scenario.

Unless you've got it wrong CT !!!
Last edited by Funkydrummer on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Post by expoultryboy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:12 pm

A good post by long term lurker and i agree with cuban that it would be a good move to try and get Drinkwater on loan . But , which quality players would actually want to come to us at present ?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:15 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:Imagine the situation here then. We have a highly desired player ready and willing to sign, pen in hand,
and we, at the last minute, throw a curve ball and just chuck in a clause whereby we will slash his wage
in half if we get relegated.
I wouldn't imagine we throw curve balls in but don't all our players have relegation clauses in their contracts?

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:20 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I wouldn't imagine we throw curve balls in but don't all our players have relegation clauses in their contracts?
It's just seems that they were ready and willing to sign until that clause appeared.

Where did it appear from ?

Was it not there when they agreed to sign ?

If so, what was the real reason that they didn't eventually sign ? Something stopped them from
doing so and you intimated that it was the presence of a relegation clause.

Am I not reading this correctly ?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:55 pm

Funkydrummer wrote:It's just seems that they were ready and willing to sign until that clause appeared.

Where did it appear from ?

Was it not there when they agreed to sign ?

If so, what was the real reason that they didn't eventually sign ? Something stopped them from
doing so and you intimated that it was the presence of a relegation clause.

Am I not reading this correctly ?
What I was trying to say is that in the past we've tried to sign players who would not sign with a relegation clause.