Dyche expects tough window

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Dyche expects tough window

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:02 pm

TVC15 wrote:£50m ?!!!!

In true maths exam style you need to show your “workings out” on this one !!
Walters £2.5m fee
Wells £5m fee
Vydra £13m fee

Thats £20m

Lets say they are on £30k a week each. You would think as one of our most expensive players ever Vydra will be on more. As a vert experienced prem player who was in contract Walters will definitely be on more. Which leaves Wells.

Thats £15m with conservative estimates on weekly wage and before any signing on fees etc.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:06 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Dyche does
"Its called "mind games". It then follows with the "it's going to be a tough window" it's like a broken (stuck) bloody record.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:07 pm

Socrates wrote:I love Dyche. I would not dream of sacking him.

But I am absolutely done with his rhetoric on transfers. He’s gone beyond being a realist about our situation and it’s now become negative, defeatist and small time.

For a man who talks about the importance of mentality and positive thinking it astounds me how often he bangs this ultra negative drum. I cannot believe that it does no affect the mentality of the players (even if by just 1%) and potential new signings.
spot on.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:09 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Walters £2.5m fee
Wells £5m fee
Vydra £13m fee

Thats £20m

Lets say they are on £30k a week each. You would think as one of our most expensive players ever Vydra will be on more. As a vert experienced prem player who was in contract Walters will definitely be on more. Which leaves Wells.

Thats £15m with conservative estimates on weekly wage and before any signing on fees etc.
The trouble is, every club takes a risk on signings and every club has had plenty of players who haven't worked out.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I wouldn't include Rigg to be honest, I doubt he'll have a major influence on this window. But it is certainly big for the chairman, who seems to have taken control of it all in recent years, and the manager.
Fair comment

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:23 pm

Top Claret wrote:We can always sell them
I bet we cant :lol:

PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by PWBFC » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Ahead of two huge games, now would have been a good time to issue a rallying call that we have targets lined up and ready to go.

Even if it’s all bluster, the players need to believe they’re on the cusp of being replaced and the fans need a lift.

Instead we get confirmation that we will sit and watch the window unfold and attempt to feed off the scraps. It might be too late by then.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:27 pm

Spijed wrote:The trouble is, every club takes a risk on signings and every club has had plenty of players who haven't worked out.
look at Fergie, the most revered manager of all time with all their scouting etc - made so many average/poor transfers

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:look at Fergie, the most revered manager of all time with all their scouting etc - made so many average/poor transfers
Burnley can't afford to make bad signings, we are pish poor at this level

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:37 pm

I think Garlick realised sometime ago that Dyche's signings and targets have not been up to scratch and cleverly introduced the idea of a Technical Director (whatever it's called) and ultimately employing him. Whilst Garlick still has faith in Dyche I think he'll be hoping Rigg comes up trumps and until then the purse strings will be kept very tight.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:48 pm

Watkins and Maupay from Brentford, although I think Maupay could be on his way to Huddersfield.

Bowen from Hull.

Callum McGregor from Celtic.

Neither Brentford or Hull challenging for Promotion could mean these are easier targets, albeit many people won’t like this idea because they are from the championship again. Excluding McGregor obviously who i belive was on the radar of Bournemouth earlier this season.

Rather ambitious one from Celtic would be Kieren Tierney for left full back. Shows massive promise but all the huge clubs have been interested .

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Tend to agree with those getting frustrated with this constant downplaying of expectations ahead of the transfer window. Apart from anything else the fans need a bit of a tonic ahead of Sunday, not dragging further into gloom, and you'd like to think the club have aspirations to right some of the shortcomings of the summer this January. Committing publicly to that ambition - even if it's caveated by an acknowledgement it might not be that easy - wouldn't go amiss. Instead we've got virtually the opposite emphasis.

Tony knows more about the workings of the club than I do, but I got the distinct impression in the summer that wages were not the issue with Dawson or Rodriguez - it was our unwillingness to pay the transfer fee. And as others have said, using the loan market better as a short-term measure needn't set a damaging future precedent.

Something has to give this window - either Dyche's insistence on bringing in risk-free signings, or Garlick's refusal to bend in a negotiation. Otherwise we'll place ourselves at even greater risk of relegation than we're already in.

It's also a bit late for Dyche to be suggesting we should be looking at U-23 signings. In the last 3 or 4 years, we've only signed Taylor and Keane that I can think of who have been signed as immediate back-up to the first team but with a view to them then breaking into the first team. We've got to do better in that department and there's absolutely no reason why that shouldn't start this month.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:20 pm

I think Dyche should be looking short term and not long term to save his own skin so I don't think 'ones for the future' will cut it. That first 11 needs immediate improvement. Personally would rather budget was given to a new man and new regime with fresh inspiration.
These 2 users liked this post: Vegas Claret claretfern

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:26 pm

I wouldn't trust Dyche with any money. The players we need aren't the ones he'll target. We need a bit of pace and creativity, what we'll get (if anyone) will be more workhorses. He's also shot himself in the foot with his treatment of loan players, so I don't think a) players will want to come and b) clubs won't want to lend.
This user liked this post: BurnleyFC

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:35 pm

we have a shiny new training facility to attract players

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:38 pm

Unlike the January Sales where it is often "Up to 50% OFF" in the January Window it is "At least 50% ON".

Every player sought will be well above the club's valuation and any major deals will cost us dear.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:45 pm

It does get to the point where anyone trained and experienced in numbers can easily tell that it is a choice, not a necessity, to spend sums up to a certain level. The Clarets have exceeded that point now. We can’t throw cash at it, but still do have plenty.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:49 pm

I wouldn't trust Dyche with any money
Peak UTC

Murger

Post by Murger » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:50 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Peak UTC
Well he's proved he can't sign a decent striker.

Claretuk
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Claretuk » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Murger wrote:Well he's proved he can't sign a decent striker.
They are decent untill dyche gets his mits on them n then it's all down hill after that just ask Wells n Vydra..

xxmunkyennuixx
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Given current circumstances, those comments are unsatisfactory and he needs putting right. The team needs an injection of energy sharpish. I would back Dyche with enough money to get at least four in. The players should be the ones that are leaving for their subpar performances. We aren't Sunderland and their ilk, working our way through a series of managers being left with a bunch of disjointed, stray players. That route leads to disaster. Trusting Dyche now will instill faith and give him a pick me up. He looked a beaten man.

We definitely need two centre midfielders. It would free Cork/Defour/Hendrick to be more progressive, all of these can pick a pass when not tasked with working their backsides off. Cork is still trying but he looks flogged. We might get more from Vydra and Barnes and greater stability at the back. Our structure was dogger against Everton - midfield always in the wrong place. The pressing lines were practically nil as a result. Everton were able to play a couple of passes to slice through us. We need to buy a couple of lads that are dogged and with fresh legs. Not bothered about passing range. We need scrappers with engines. Some low rent version of Torreira/Kante. Might be able to pick some up from League One. I'm not expecting world class, we need young Dean Marney types. Some raw warriors who are dying for a chance.

Would also sell Heaton and Mee. The message needs to go out that this is Burnley and we work differently. Buy in, trust Dyche, commit to the work ethic or **** off. I'm a big Mee fan but there has been too much poor decision making and a lack of fight from him. Kick him out and shake the players up. I like the looks of Gibson and Dunne performed well when I've seen him for Hearts. He has bottle and fight, Dyche will be able work wonders with him. On current form, we would not be losing much. I wouldn't buy a wide player, it would stunt the development of McNeil. We need that beacon of one coming through to push those underneath on. A left back is needed, our full backs have been a major outlet under Dyche. Taylor can't cross. Would also buy another striker to replace Wood. Someone quick. It would allow us to sit deep and counter.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Murger wrote:Well he's proved he can't sign a decent striker.
We can't afford a decent, established PL striker's wages, and possibly the transfer fee too.
We've needed to find and develop younger talented players from the UK or Europe and haven't done anything like it, this, in my opinion, has been our biggest failing under Sean Dyche.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:10 pm

jlup1980 wrote:Time to try for a few more bargain Championship players. I'd be tempted to throw a decent chunk at Brentford for Maupay and Watkins. They'd give us a completely different dimension. Adam Reach at Sheff Weds must be worth a look as well. Jarrod Bowen at Hull is another. None of their teams are at the right end of the table and bids could unsettle the players quite quickly if they get a sniff of the Premier League.
All ok players, but would they start. You could have said the same about Vydra, Wood and Taylor. Not that there's anything wrong with them in my opinion, but they don't set the world alight.
The only way to improve a team is to buy players better than you've already got. That means you buy them AND play them. We aren't strong enough to allow someone the luxury of taking 6 months to settle into the squad ethos. By then they could find themselves back in the Championship.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:18 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Walters £2.5m fee
Wells £5m fee
Vydra £13m fee

Thats £20m

Vydra transfer was undisclosed fee but thought to be £10m.
Wells will no way be on £30k a week...given he was on a championship team bench when we signed him he is probably on half of that.
Walters is on £35k a week...2 year deal so should finish this summer.
I doubt Vydra was on much more than £15k a week at Derby but we could be paying him £30k given the desperate circumstances we signed him on deadline day.

Even Harry Redknapp could not get all of this anywhere near £50m !!

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:24 pm

TVC15 wrote:Vydra transfer was undisclosed fee but thought to be £10m.
Wells will no way be on £30k a week...given he was on a championship team bench when we signed him he is probably on half of that.
I doubt Vydra was on much more than £15k a week at Derby but we could be paying him £30k given the desperate circumstances we signed him on deadline day.

If Walters is on 35k a week it has to go down as one of the worst signings I've known in all my years of watching us.
This user liked this post: tiger76

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:29 pm

Worst only because he has been injured.
You need to remember we signed him from Stoke where he probably had more premier league experience than the rest of our team put together. He also had a decent injury record and was still getting plenty of games for Stoke.
Stoke were a far more established team than us so he was never going to leave them for £10k a week.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:32 pm

Well he's proved he can't sign a decent striker.
Nope, but keep having a go.

You've got a problem in that you are trying to stand out in an ocean of posts criticising the manager. You've got to go all in to even register, and to be fair you have!
This user liked this post: Bin Ont Turf

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:34 pm

The money does add up of course but it is too glib for some posters to claim definitively we cannot spend a certain level.

Three £15m signings = £45m but that is then an asset so isn’t technically lost money.

Extras such as signing on fees and agent fees may be £5m-£10m. Wages could be £50k p.w. which with oncosts would be up to £10m for the three of them, £40m over a four year contract. There would be a relegation clause (though that would be a tough sell in this window given where we are).

Even if we are relegated we can see that expenditure of this level is easily affordable, with the £150m+ income, profit from previous years, knowledge of our current expenditure levels, and the cushion of parachutes as a minimum thereafter.

Given the above, I find the penny pinching a bit (ok, a lot) pathetic. And that’s coming from someone in myself who has had the ultimate in tough funding challenges for the last 30 years (healthcare financial management). So I do try to sympathise.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:35 pm

You genuinely think a £40 million pound striker will come to us in January?

He wouldn't come to us at any time sadly.

Murger

Post by Murger » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Nope, but keep having a go.

You've got a problem in that you are trying to stand out in an ocean of posts criticising the manager. You've got to go all in to even register, and to be fair you have!
Cheers LC, appreciate the compliment ;)

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:39 pm

No probs! I get the frustrations that everyone is having but I just don't see a scenario where with our squad and set up we are going to be any better under anyone but SD.

End of the season by all means we can look again, but at this moment in time we need to back him, and hope we can get a couple of players in the window.
This user liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx

Murger

Post by Murger » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:43 pm

I just don't see how we just carry on sleepwalking to relegation. Unless all of a sudden Dyche goes from serving us hoofball to anything remotely resembling pass and move, then I'd rather twist. Just my opinion.
These 2 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Vegas Claret

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:45 pm

Nobody is going to come in January who can seriously influence or strengthen our squad and more importantly our first X1 when you look at it realistically and see we're almost certain to be relegated. Unfortunately the window when we could have attracted names who could have really taken us forward passed by in the summer and now the boardroom, the technical director and the managerial staff must all be simply planning for the inevitable and thinking about names for August who can get us into the top 6 in the championship, most of whom are already at the club.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:49 pm

TVC15 wrote:Worst only because he has been injured.
You need to remember we signed him from Stoke where he probably had more premier league experience than the rest of our team put together. He also had a decent injury record and was still getting plenty of games for Stoke.
Stoke were a far more established team than us so he was never going to leave them for £10k a week.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing
Not sure about hindsight but plenty of people myself included questioned it at the time. As a player he just didn't offer anything that we didn't already have. The last thing we needed was yet another grafter.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Fair enough

Anything remotely like Everton again and I'm sure more and more people will be taking that view.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Fair enough

Anything remotely like Everton again and I'm sure more and more people will be taking that view.
I'd be happy for the manager/chairman/both to come out and say "we royally ****** up the transfer windows, we are going to reboot and it might cost us our place in the PL. We are going to sign younger players and change the style of play'. I'd back Dyche and the board 100% if they did that but they wont, as Murger says - sleepwalking towards relegation

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:00 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Not sure about hindsight but plenty of people myself included questioned it at the time. As a player he just didn't offer anything that we didn't already have. The last thing we needed was yet another grafter.
Well done - most people I know thought it was a decent back up player with lots of experience.
Don’t think anyone was that excited about the transfer but can’t remember any outrage either.
When you are spending the kind of money we are on fees and wages for strikers you are not getting players who can score much more than 10 or 11 a season.
I know our football is not the prettiest and we have never scored many goals in the Premier League but that is the case for half of the division every season. Hardly a surprise when you see some of the players we are trying to get past every week.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:01 pm

TVC15 wrote:Vydra transfer was undisclosed fee but thought to be £10m.

Wells was Huddersfields star player at the time but wouldn’t sign a contract with them so they wouldn't play him. He also got injured before coming to us.
Derby have always had a high wage bill and Vydra was the championship top scorer. I think you're way off with 15k a week.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Dyche doesn’t trust youth, never has and never will. Anybody who thinks he’s suddenly going to conjure two or three players to add some spark to this most moribund of teams is living in dreamland.
This is hard Brexit football. Enjoy.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:07 pm

Anyone else in absolute disbelief about how this season has panned out?

I genuinely can't comprehend how we have gone from looking like becoming an established PL team so micky mouse little old Burnley (despite being in the top 40 richest teams in the world or whatever).

Has to go down as one of the biggest **** ups of recent years
These 2 users liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx cricketfieldclarets

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:12 pm

If we end January with the same squad as now we will be relegated.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:13 pm

A relegation scrap isn't the place for youth, no matter how much potential they might have unfortunately. You need 11 Joey Bartons tbh, but right now we don't seem to have even one.

xxmunkyennuixx
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:14 pm

CoolClaret wrote:Anyone else in absolute disbelief about how this season has panned out?

I genuinely can't comprehend how we have gone from looking like becoming an established PL team so micky mouse little old Burnley (despite being in the top 40 richest teams in the world or whatever).

Has to go down as one of the biggest **** ups of recent years
Don't expect us to win every week in the Premier League but the performances have been abysmal. Palace and Everton were as bad as anything played since SC. It was shambolic. That's why I'm an advocate of drastic action and binning a few lads off i.e. Mee, Heaton, Wood. I think even with positive action in the transfer window, the odds remain against us stopping up. Just want to see energy, structure and commitment returned to the team.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:17 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Wells was Huddersfields star player at the time but wouldn’t sign a contract with them so they wouldn't play him. He also got injured before coming to us.
Derby have always had a high wage bill and Vydra was the championship top scorer. I think you're way off with 15k a week.
Not sure about Wells being their star player when we signed him but I don’t think Huddersfield were big spenders in the championship.
You may be correct about Vydra. Derby’s wage bill has been around £30m the last few years but I think Vydra was their big earner. Having looked at why the deal fell through for Leeds buying Vydra it’s widely reported that he was asking for £50k a week and they could not exceed £40k a week...so maybe he is on that at Burnley.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:19 pm

xxmunkyennuixx wrote: the performances have been abysmal. Palace and Everton were as bad as anything played since SC. It was shambolic.
The long diagonals played at 3-0 down against 3 CBs that are all easily 6ft2 was criminal.

The reluctance to change at half time was even worse, it was excruciating.
This user liked this post: xxmunkyennuixx

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:21 pm

In our 1st Premier league season under Dyche he said we got relegated because we didn't have enough Premier league experience in the squad, now we have the experience and not the quality.

Dyche appears to have got the mix wrong and lumped for low quality experience at the expense of young up and coming players, who have pace and skill, who can change a game.

We literally have no one in our squad who as the ability to change a game and those who have, have had that side of their game coached out of them due to his negativity

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Parachute payment will be approx £41 million next season if we go down compared to c. £100 million minimum for a Premier League place.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:26 pm

If Vydra really is on 50k a week, then why the hell is he not playing?? (I wonder if Mike G has ever asked SD that question?)

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:29 pm

To echo Vegas' sentiments...

If there was even a smidgen of transparency from the Club, or Dyche about the situation then it would at least alleviate some of the tension but its perennial silence.

It pisses folk off, especially in winter when it's ******* miserable as it is.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Nope, but keep having a go.

Perfectly put.

Although I do like the layman term version............... 'smacked off your tits'.