Superbowl

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Superbowl

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:10 am

Anyone watching tonight? :) Personally would have liked to have seen the Chiefs beat the Patriots to progress (bit tired of the Patriots). I'm a Lions fan - I wonder if they'll ever be in a Superbowl? :?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: Superbowl

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:44 am

Y
A
W
N

If its owt to do with soft boys rugby I want the pussycats to win, and my Mrs prefers the teddy bears.

Take your sh1te sport, silly names , corn dogs and whooping elsewhere.

Stop copying everything the Americans fo thinking it's cool, grow a backbone.

Edit - so that's a no!
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:48 am

I have watched most of the last 30 or so superbowls but for some reason I am struggling to be bothered about this - and I have never enjoyed the much vaunted half time show - just get on with the damn game - there are enough breaks during it

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:50 am

MACCA wrote:Y
A
W
N

If its owt to do with soft boys rugby I want the pussycats to win, and my Mrs prefers the teddy bears.

Take your sh1te sport, silly names , corn dogs and whooping elsewhere.

Stop copying everything the Americans fo thinking it's cool, grow a backbone.

Edit - so that's a no!
Hi Macca. Not sure the rude reply is really warranted. I'm just looking to talk with like-minded people about a sport I enjoy. I'm not really interested in hearing from those who don't enjoy it. Admittedly, there aren't a lot of people on this forum who follow the NFL but there are at least a few. Cheers.
This user liked this post: Goddy

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:53 am

Chester Perry wrote:I have watched most of the last 30 or so superbowls but for some reason I am struggling to be bothered about this - and I have never enjoyed the much vaunted half time show - just get on with the damn game - there are enough breaks during it
Hi Chester. Are you perhaps feeling Patriots fatigue like myself? Do you follow a particular team? Agree, I'm not fussed about the halftime show and I absolutely detest Maroon 5. However, it can sometimes be pretty entertaining. I don't particularly like Lady Gaga but thought she was very good a couple of years ago. Didn't see it at the time but enjoyed U2's performance in the year following 9/11.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1299 times
Has Liked: 1391 times

Post by Aclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:55 am

It's not for me thanks, hyped up yanks wearing loads of protective gear acting like American heroes.
Would love to see them up against our Rugby Union team !
Why they call it American football when they use their hands I don't know.
But, each to their own.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:57 am

IndigoLake wrote:Hi Macca. Not sure the rude reply is really warranted. I'm just looking to talk with like-minded people about a sport I enjoy. I'm not really interested in hearing from those who don't enjoy it. Admittedly, there aren't a lot of people on this forum who follow the NFL but there are at least a few. Cheers.
Fair point, I was just being a d1ck.
I have to be a dick a few times a day as people start to realise I'm actually a nice and sound bloke, and it changes their mentality towards me you see.

Apologies, enjoy the match.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:01 am

Aclaret wrote:It's not for me thanks, hyped up yanks wearing loads of protective gear acting like American heroes.
Would love to see them up against our Rugby Union team !
Why they call it American football when they use their hands I don't know.
But, each to their own.
No worries Aclaret! What I would say is that NFL players are, for the most part, excellent athletes. The speed and strength some of them display is really impressive. I admit the sport is a bit too stop-start and that's something that I also imagine puts some people off.

Also, the sport stems from rugby and the term 'rugby football'. According to Wikipedia, "American football evolved in the United States, originating from the sports of association football (known in the U.S. as soccer) and rugby football."

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:08 am

Looking forward to watching the Superbowl for only the second time. I don't really follow a team, I was rooting for the Eagles last year, probably the Patriots this year but I don't really mind either way.

I still haven't got to grips with the game but should be an entertaining spectacle regardless.

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:11 am

I’ll be keeping an eye on it. It’s just a bit, a lot really, to long. Really like the game, been following the Rams since 1984.. admittedly lost interest when the moved, shitty franchise sport that does care about fans. So yes. GO RAMS.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:18 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:Looking forward to watching the Superbowl for only the second time. I don't really follow a team, I was rooting for the Eagles last year, probably the Patriots this year but I don't really mind either way.

I still haven't got to grips with the game but should be an entertaining spectacle regardless.
Hi ClaretAndJew. Nice! I have a feeling Tom Brady will find a way to win this year. However, I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams win as Patriots have had far too much success, haha. I'm a Lions fan and they're 1 of (I think) only 4 teams never to have appeared at the Super Bowl. I chose to support them as I like to suffer. It will make the future successes even sweeter! :lol:

Yes, I've been watching a lot more the last couple of years (I watch a couple of games each week during the season) and I'd say that I'm still getting to grips with it myself. I understand the basics but I'm not quite at the stage where I can predict the type of plays teams will make at a particular time. Enjoy!

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:20 am

RammyClaret61 wrote:I’ll be keeping an eye on it. It’s just a bit, a lot really, to long. Really like the game, been following the Rams since 1984.. admittedly lost interest when the moved, shitty franchise sport that does care about fans. So yes. GO RAMS.
Hi Rammy. Agree it can be too slow and drawn out. Least it gives lots of opportunity for going to the loo or getting another drink, haha. I'll also be supporting the Rams tonight. Do you think they'll win?

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:20 am

IndigoLake wrote:Hi ClaretAndJew. Nice! I have a feeling Tom Brady will find a way to win this year. However, I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams win as Patriots have had far too much success, haha. I'm a Lions fan and they're 1 of (I think) only 4 teams never to have appeared at the Super Bowl. I chose to support them as I like to suffer. It will make the future successes even sweeter! :lol:

Yes, I've been watching a lot more the last couple of years (I watch a couple of games each week during the season) and I'd say that I'm still getting to grips with it myself. I understand the basics but I'm not quite at the stage where I can predict the type of plays teams will make at a particular time. Enjoy!
I just find it fascinating that there's also this outside association with the game, the build up, the half time shows etc, it's almost like the game is secondary to everything else. It's entertainment.

Of course, the sport itself is obviously very tough and the players must be fit as fiddles and peak athletes. My only gripe is the constant stop start nature of it, but you get used to it.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:32 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:I just find it fascinating that there's also this outside association with the game, the build up, the half time shows etc, it's almost like the game is secondary to everything else. It's entertainment.

Of course, the sport itself is obviously very tough and the players must be fit as fiddles and peak athletes. My only gripe is the constant stop start nature of it, but you get used to it.
Yeah, it's a real spectacle. I went to see the Los Angeles Chargers Vs the Tennessee Titans at Wembley last October - was a great experience and a really good atmosphere. However, I have heard that the US experience is on another level with the tailgate before the game. People really make a day of it. I'd love to attend a game in the US one day - maybe in a few years.

Agree, it can be too stop-start though it doesn't bother me too much anymore. I tend to do other things (like post on here) in between play. Are you aware of the college football scene? It's amazing how big that is as well - college football games draw huge crowds as well and the atmosphere for those is also very good (often bordering on tribal!) as well.

Aclaret

Post by Aclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:56 am

Indigo, sorry but I havn't much idea of US football, who is in the final and where are they from ? Is it played in a neutral City ?
Me and Mrs Aclaret were in California a few years back in Huntington Beach when the final was on, think Los Angeles were playing ? The bars were full of folk wearing there team shirts, we tried watching for a short while but like I say not really our thing.
Enjoy the game.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Aclaret wrote:Indigo, sorry but I havn't much idea of US football, who is in the final and where are they from ? Is it played in a neutral City ?
Me and Mrs Aclaret were in California a few years back in Huntington Beach when the final was on, think Los Angeles were playing ? The bars were full of folk wearing there team shirts, we tried watching for a short while but like I say not really our thing.
Enjoy the game.
No worries Aclaret. This year's Superbowl features the Los Angeles Rams and the New England Patriots! It's indeed being played elsewhere in Atlanta, Georgia. What year did you go to California? Was it 2016? That was the year the Superbowl took place in Santa Clara, California. It was between the Denver Broncos and Carolina Panthers. No worries, it isn't for everyone :) Thanks!

Aclaret

Post by Aclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Yep that must have been the one in Jan/Feb 2016.
Plenty of travelling for the fans then :D

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:29 pm

As a Dolphins fan i detest the Patriots with a passion considering they've won the AFC East for the last eight years.
Their record though is remarkable considering the NFL is set up to prevent one team dominating with the draft system etc so begrudging hats off to Belichick and Brady.
I picked the Rams in about week three to go all the way, with Todd Gurley fit again, Aaron Donald again the Defensive player of the year and Jared Goff having a breakout year, i sincerely hope they crush the Pats.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:21 pm

Like most people in the planet I didn’t want the Patriots to get through but hey ho.

People comparing NFL players are soft compared to rugby players don’t have a clue. From a sports science and tactical point of view it’s the most advanced sport in the world.

One thing I will say is that I never really ‘got it’ watching just the highlights. You have to watch the full game to fully appreciate what goes into scoring the points.

Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by Goddy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Sorry guys, I'm a big Pats fan (from 1985 when they were tubbed by the tubby Fridge of Bears fame).

Look, I know this sounds patronising, but to the skeptics amongst you, once you invest the time in working out what's going on (and the tactics of the game) it is a fantastic sport/spectacle.

Also to those who think they're padded up softies, I'd suggest you try catching a ball then being hit without any preparation to take that hit.......

Anyhow enjoy the game....
This user liked this post: depechedingle

depechedingle
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 276 times

Post by depechedingle » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:43 pm

I watched regularly years ago tried to watch the whole thing one year when my team the Redskins (nearest team in colour to Claret) beat Denver Broncos in the Super bowl, alas I fell asleep in the 3rd quarter.

A friend introduced me to NFL Redzone on Sky a couple of years ago, which shows all the action from all the Sunday games as it happens in the regular season. A brilliant watch.

I will record tonight's match, as I ain't staying up till 4am. Then I will just watch the actual game as it goes on and on forever and a day.

My thoughts on the game, I'd like Los Angeles Rams to win but I think the Patriots will edge it.

Like someone said earlier the whole franchise where a whole team can be moved to a completely different city really frustrates me, I believe the Raiders are moving from Oakland to Las Vegas. Thank God, Milton Keynes Dons aside that isn't common place in football.

Squarepusher
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by Squarepusher » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:16 pm

I've always found it really weird how, every time an NFL thread gets started here, a few people will pop in just to tell everyone how much they don't like the sport. Why even go to the bother of opening the thread?
These 3 users liked this post: depechedingle RogerBest SGr

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Shouting for the Pats as the Rams shouldn’t even be there. Saints totally stitched up by a corrupt back judge.
Redskins fan meself but going nowhere as long as Snyder is owning the team.
This user liked this post: depechedingle

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:35 pm

Squarepusher wrote:I've always found it really weird how, every time an NFL thread gets started here, a few people will pop in just to tell everyone how much they don't like the sport. Why even go to the bother of opening the thread?
People will be people.

It’s exactly the same scenario on England international threads.

RogerBest
Been Liked: 107 times

Post by RogerBest » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:39 pm

I have a season ticket for the London games.

I saw the Rams last year and will be rooting for them but I think Brady will find a way to beat them.

As for people complaining about the game because they are too thick to understand it - get a life.
Simpletons say similar things about cricket and rugby union. If you can't appreciate elite athletes at the top of their game I suggest you keep your ignorance to yourself.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:50 pm

This thread has already attracted more interest than I expected - good to see :)

I had considered going to the US for this year's Superbowl. Plan was to do a 1-week road trip culminating in being in Atlanta for the game (but without tickets). Finances didn't really permit but something I'd love to do in the future. May also just go over to the US to see a normal league game (and maybe catch a college game if I can). Has anyone seen an NFL game in the US? Good experience I imagine?

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:55 pm

Good to see the insecure “I HATE THAT FOREIGN NONSENSE AND EVERYBODY SHOULD KNOW THAT EVERY TIME IT GETS MENTIONED” has returned like it does every time :roll:

Rams for me.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:57 pm

MACCA wrote:
“Soft boys rugby”. NFL players are superior athletes, freakishly strong and freakishly quick - which is why if they didn’t wear the protection they do, there would literally be deaths in every game.

Hope this helps.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-1MQ0Cnbhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A video like this speaks volumes when it comes to why NFL players need padding. Some of the hits are ridiculous. (Helmets ripped right off in many cases...head helmets I mean :lol: )

exilecanada
Been Liked: 232 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:57 pm

I used to be a big Steelers fan back in the day, then switched my allegiance to the Redskins. Buffalo used to play a couple of games per season at Skydome in Toronto, but that fizzled out after a few seasons, possibly due to Ontario drinking laws, ‘tailgating parties’ prior to the game were verboten. As for the Super Bowl, it’s become little more than a vehicle for advertisers, expect this year’s game to last four hours, rather than the typical three. The ‘pre game’ show on telly lasts literally ALL DAY, more ad’s for eyeballs, talk about overkill!

When the internet came along I reconnected with real footy, I haven’t watched an NFL game since, don’t miss it at all.

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:02 pm

Buccaneers fan here! Roger Best, you wouldn't be willing to part with yours when they're over here, would you? :-)

whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by whentheballmoves » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:02 pm

PS Rooting for LA. Not a fan of the same team winning all the time!!!

PhiladelphiaChris
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by PhiladelphiaChris » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:23 pm

NY Giants fan here. I went to watch the Philadelphia Eagles a couple of years ago, what a great day out. You would not believe how wasted people get before the game but i so no trouble.I would like the Rams to win but think the Patriots will walk it. Superbowl Sunday is one of if not the biggest partying (and gambling) days of the year here.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:31 pm

I'll check the score on google, if it's very close going into the last 5 mins (or the 30 they drag that out to) then I'll watch, otherwise I'll probably do the washing up

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:53 pm

Followed the Patriots fortunes since the mid 80's.
I'll be watching. 8-)

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:26 pm

Here's the inside scoop. The key to the game will be whether the Patriots can shut down Todd Gurley, the best running back in the NFL right now. It'll be Gurley left, Gurley right, Gurley up the middle. Bill Belichick is still the best coach in the league, and usually comes up with a game plan to stop the opposition, but Timothy McVie is right up there, too, so don't expect too many mistakes from him. Of course, New England has Tom Brady at quarterback, the most important position on the field, and he never makes a mental mistake. My prediction, Patriots by 10.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:31 pm

SGr wrote:“Soft boys rugby”. NFL players are superior athletes, freakishly strong and freakishly quick - which is why if they didn’t wear the protection they do, there would literally be deaths in every game.

Hope this helps.
I fully concur.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Squarepusher wrote:I've always found it really weird how, every time an NFL thread gets started here, a few people will pop in just to tell everyone how much they don't like the sport. Why even go to the bother of opening the thread?

It's only because I wish I could stay up until daft o'clock to watch it, go my mates house for the big booze up and have tomorrow off.

I'll however be tucked up in bed for 21.30 ready for another week at work :-(

We are just very envious people.

BurningBeard
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 158 times

Post by BurningBeard » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:47 pm

ontario claret wrote:Here's the inside scoop. The key to the game will be whether the Patriots can shut down Todd Gurley, the best running back in the NFL right now. It'll be Gurley left, Gurley right, Gurley up the middle. Bill Belichick is still the best coach in the league, and usually comes up with a game plan to stop the opposition, but Timothy McVie is right up there, too, so don't expect too many mistakes from him. Of course, New England has Tom Brady at quarterback, the most important position on the field, and he never makes a mental mistake. My prediction, Patriots by 10.
You might be right but Gurley was a non-factor in the NFC championship game and may be playing hurt. CJ Anderson has been a bigger part of the Rams offense in recent weeks so NE has them both to think about as well as the receivers.

Timothy McVeigh is the Oklahoma City bomber. Sean McVay coaches the LA Rams.

Brady does make mental mistakes especially if pressured up the middle, but granted not as many mistakes as other QBs. His competitiveness and coolness under pressure as well as experience and craft and BB's and McDaniels' scheme see him through.

Other than that, solid post. Hope your prediction is accurate. Go Pats.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:04 pm

McVay. Yep. That guy. (And he's very young. Still in his 30s.) And Gurley's had 2 weeks to rest. RBs are forever playing hurt. That's why their careers are so short.

ontario claret

Post by ontario claret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:08 pm

Timothy McVie was the guy who blew up the federal building in Oklahoma City. Went to Starpoint High School, in the north west corner of New York state, just north of Buffalo.

exilecanada
Been Liked: 232 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by exilecanada » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:38 pm

ontario claret wrote:Timothy McVie was the guy who blew up the federal building in Oklahoma City. Went to Starpoint High School, in the north west corner of New York state, just north of Buffalo.

Not much good came out of the Buffalo area, other than fires on the north, south, east and west sides. :D

Oh, and Irv Weinstein asking “Do you know where your children are?” :lol:

RogerBest
Been Liked: 107 times

Post by RogerBest » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:37 pm

whentheballmoves wrote:Buccaneers fan here! Roger Best, you wouldn't be willing to part with yours when they're over here, would you? :-)
They are playing the Carolina panthers and i would like to see cam newton but if i can't make it i will let you know.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:53 pm

RogerBest wrote:They are playing the Carolina panthers and i would like to see cam newton but if i can't make it i will let you know.
Isn't there talk of them ditching Newton?

slw
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by slw » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:03 pm

Not a massive fan of nfl
Might watch some tonight
Get a bit confused about some of the phrases such as sack and tight end :?

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:05 pm

IndigoLake wrote:This thread has already attracted more interest than I expected - good to see :)

I had considered going to the US for this year's Superbowl. Plan was to do a 1-week road trip culminating in being in Atlanta for the game (but without tickets). Finances didn't really permit but something I'd love to do in the future. May also just go over to the US to see a normal league game (and maybe catch a college game if I can). Has anyone seen an NFL game in the US? Good experience I imagine?
I went to a dolphins game in Miami, and I've seen them 3 or 4 times in London. I'd definitely recommend seeing a game over there, the atmosphere is so much better - in fact the full day is. The games over here are still an exhibition to an extent filled with supporters of all teams, from all over the world attending. Naturally I'll be hoping Brady is sacked 10 times tonight and the Rams take the title

Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by Goddy » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Everyone in position? A few Buds to hand?

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:18 pm

Belial wrote:I went to a dolphins game in Miami, and I've seen them 3 or 4 times in London. I'd definitely recommend seeing a game over there, the atmosphere is so much better - in fact the full day is. The games over here are still an exhibition to an extent filled with supporters of all teams, from all over the world attending. Naturally I'll be hoping Brady is sacked 10 times tonight and the Rams take the title
Sounds like a great experience! Yes, I saw the Chargers Titans game last October...came over from Spain :D Enjoyed it a lot and hoping to go again this year.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:19 pm

Goddy wrote:Everyone in position? A few Buds to hand?
Ohhhhh yes!
This user liked this post: Goddy

KBFC
Been Liked: 2 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by KBFC » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:29 pm

Got a bottle of JD in hand instead. But looking forward to a good game. Giants fan here and been to the games in London. Was fortunate seeing the Giants at Twickenham back in 2016. Come on Rams!!