Burnley Sunday League Football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JimMcDonald
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Burnley Sunday League Football

Post by JimMcDonald » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 pm

Awful these days. Hardly any teams left. Cant see it going for much longer.

Anyway i want to know about any great teams of the past ? And any good players who have played in the league ? Whos the best you have played against ? Burnley produces some good footballers.

redwasp
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Re: Burnley Sunday League Football

Post by redwasp » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:49 pm

There used to be a lot of guys who played at a very good standard on Saturdays but turned out with their mates or local pub on Sundays. Ventura and Holden & Hartleys dominated the league for many years. There used to be four divisions at one time. Sad to hear it might go the same way as the Saturday league.

I luv my wife
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by I luv my wife » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:51 pm

Pikehill Bombers biggest bunch of sarcastic skillful individuals ever assembled they even produced their own fanzine copies of which are now reported to be changing hands for £1.50p a real collectors item called Down the Miggle

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:15 pm

I set up St Theordore’s Old Boys around 30 years ago now. We lasted for about 10 or 11 years. We had some pretty decent teams...went through the divisions and spent the rest of our time in division one. We never won it but finished runners up a few times. We got to the final of the Hospital Cup and Townley Cup - lost them both....second one on penalties.

Great times and a lot of our players were ex St Teds lads many of them from the same school year.

Sad to see the decline in Sunday (and Saturday) league football...not enough young people want to play the game anymore and those that do decide to give up too soon.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:08 pm

I luv my wife wrote:Pikehill Bombers biggest bunch of sarcastic skillful individuals ever assembled they even produced their own fanzine copies of which are now reported to be changing hands for £1.50p a real collectors item called Down the Miggle
The legendary Bombers were indeed sarcastic and humorous - I had 2 good spells with them.
I played 1 game for Ventura - superb team. I wasn't signed on so played as Johnny Smith - the manager was Tony Andrews, himself a fine player in his day.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:09 am

The sad thing about the decline of the sunday league was how inevitible it was. A few reasons. But mainly how it was being run.

Ten years ago they had an absolute awful committee who would do anything to drive teams out. Basically to ensure the team they were involved in won everything. Was bizarre. And totally drained any interest out of the league.

10 to 15 years ago (and even more so before that) burnley sunday league was a brilliant standard. We even had Andy Payton playing and running our team. And sone of the disciplinaries the league gave our team was embarrassing. Having an ex pro turning up to deal with them was embarrassing. Think Paul Smith was playing in the league too. Incredible how good he was even well after he retired with those injuries. Was surprisingly aggresive too.

With the premier league thats not helped. With burnley playing sundays often. The league werent flexible with that either.

It was excellent under jon pilling. He put a real shift in running it. And there were some good if a little charasmatic refs. Dennis. Kitsy. Harry warbuton. And the odd awful one like alan hosker. Another who did his best to ruin any contest.

The other thing was injuries. Lots of lads were getting injured and losing a lot off money by being off work. Thats why amost started giving up by 25.

Last nail in the coffin was 4g pitches. Most lads could get their fix midweek in a quick game of 5 or 6 aside. The leagues were run better. It was cheaper. Didnt take up all your sunday. And the mard arses didnt get cold wet and muddy. And they could spend all sunday with their birds....

Good times in the sunday league until about 10 years ago.
These 2 users liked this post: Siddo THEWELLERNUT70

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 287 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:36 am

Burnley Sunday league was a good standard and some fantastic players including ex-pros as mentioned by CFC. Les Latcham, Leighton James, Andy Wharton were players from my generation. Best team I played against was Royal SC from Waterfoot who fielded a team of semi-pros if it was an important cup match. Andy Grimshaw was excellent and his team mates included Steve Parry, Paul Guest, Neil Rowbotham, Andy Hornsby and Liver supported by the durable Jackie Barnes in his grey mack (who do you play for? What colour do you play in? He's offside ref?) Ventura, Queens Park, Holden & Hartley were top teams from Burnley in my early days plus Joiners from Clitheroe and North Star from Accrington who had David Lloyd (Bumble from Sky TV Cricket) giving us the runaround on the left wing! As mentioned above St Teds OB's, Brunshaw Celtic, Angels NS and Butterfly also fielded competitive teams with players such as Paul and Dave Bennett, Adrian and Sean Crorken, Gary Watson and Richard Howarth. The Lowerhouse Teams including the Canteen and Cricketers had the likes of Mick Cowan, Roy Smith, Mick Thompson and Mick Chapman. Excellent sportsman who always played it hard but fair. Black Bull lads such as McDevitts, Noony and Tex Grogan were tough to play against. Favourite opponents besides Grimshaw were Mick Moffit and Steve Catlow from Parkside and Richard Kelly from Rose & Crown and his team mate Peter Clare who I was later fortunate enough to play alongside in the Sunday league. Too many to remember and list them all! With regards to administrators I always held Ray Ryland in high esteem. He wasn't everybody's cup of tea but he gave some semblance of order and discipline in a league which featured some very feisty and difficult characters to deal with from time to time. John Pilling also did a fantastic job for many years. Talk about commitment, time and effort - remarkable really. Great characters and happy times from my younger days (sigh!) . As for the Pike Bombers (what can I say?). They shouldve been locked up for printing "Down the Miggle". I've still got 3 copies and according to the poster above that means I could cash in for the best part of a fiver. I'll be up in the loft later this morning! Regards to all ex Sunday leaguers.
Last edited by beeholeclaret on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
This user liked this post: Siddo

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:54 am

beeholeclaret wrote:Burnley Sunday league was a good standard and some fantastic players including ex-pros as mentioned by CFC. Les Latcham. Leighton James, Andy Wharton were players from my generation. Best team I played against was Royal SC from Waterfoot who fielded a team of semi-pros if it was an important cup match. Andy Grimshaw was excellent and his team mates included Steve Parry, Paul Guest, Neil Rowbotham, Andy Hornsby and Liver supported by the durable Jackie Barnes in his grey mack (who do you play for? What colour do you play in? He's offside ref?) Ventura, Queens Park, Holden & Hartley were top teams from Burnley in my early days plus Joiners from Clitheroe and North Star from Accrington who had David Lloyd (Bumble from Sky TV Cricket) giving us the runaround on the left wing! As mentioned above St Teds OB's, Brunshaw Celtic, Angels NS and Butterfly also fielded competitive teams with players such as Paul and Dave Bennett, Adrian and Sean Crorken, Gary Watson and Richard Howarth. The Lowerhouse Teams including the Canteen and Cricketers had the likes of Mick Cowan, Roy Smith, Mick Thompson and Mick Chapman. Excellent sportsman who always played it hard but fair. Black Bull lads such as McDevitts, Noony and Tex Grogan were tough to play against. Favourite opponents besides Grimshaw were Mick Moffit and Steve Catlow from Parkside and Richard Kelly from Rose & Crown and his team mate Peter Clare who I was later fortunate enough to play alongside in the Sunday league. Too many to remember and list them all! With regards to administrators I always held Ray Ryland in high esteem. He wasn't everybody's cup of tea but he gave some semblance of order and discipline in a league which featured some very fiesty and difficult characters to deal with from time to time. John Pilling also did a fantastic job for many years. Talk about commitment, time and effort - remarkable really. Great characters and happy times from my younger days (sigh!) . As for the Pike Bombers (what can I say). They shouldve been locked up for printing "Down the Miggle". I've still got 3 copies and according to the poster above that means I could cash in for the best part of a fiver. I'll be up in the loft later this morning! Regards to all ex Sunday leaguers.
Great post. And a good point on Ray Ryland - quiet pleeease. Without him and John Pilling the league became a real shambles. They put some real effort in and knew how to run things.

Played with Richard Kellys lad. Himself a very good player with a very strong left foot. And know Pete Clares son. A good lad.
This user liked this post: beeholeclaret

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:56 am

Gaz Evans was a surprisingly good player. Playing for us at 40 odd. Must have been a good player in his younger days.
This user liked this post: beeholeclaret

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:19 am

Hasn't the league completely folded now? Pretty sure a few teams have joined the Pendle Charity League. Suppose it doesn't help Sunday league footy when the young uns are staying in Fusion and Blu Bar in town till 8 o clock in the morning!
This user liked this post: CleggHall

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:26 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:The sad thing about the decline of the sunday league was how inevitible it was. A few reasons. But mainly how it was being run.

Ten years ago they had an absolute awful committee who would do anything to drive teams out. Basically to ensure the team they were involved in won everything. Was bizarre. And totally drained any interest out of the league.

10 to 15 years ago (and even more so before that) burnley sunday league was a brilliant standard. We even had Andy Payton playing and running our team. And sone of the disciplinaries the league gave our team was embarrassing. Having an ex pro turning up to deal with them was embarrassing. Think Paul Smith was playing in the league too. Incredible how good he was even well after he retired with those injuries. Was surprisingly aggresive too.

With the premier league thats not helped. With burnley playing sundays often. The league werent flexible with that either.

It was excellent under jon pilling. He put a real shift in running it. And there were some good if a little charasmatic refs. Dennis. Kitsy. Harry warbuton. And the odd awful one like alan hosker. Another who did his best to ruin any contest.

The other thing was injuries. Lots of lads were getting injured and losing a lot off money by being off work. Thats why amost started giving up by 25.

Last nail in the coffin was 4g pitches. Most lads could get their fix midweek in a quick game of 5 or 6 aside. The leagues were run better. It was cheaper. Didnt take up all your sunday. And the mard arses didnt get cold wet and muddy. And they could spend all sunday with their birds....

Good times in the sunday league until about 10 years ago.

Alan Hosker..... shudder! Is he not a UKIP councillor now (I’ll keep my opinion to myself on him)

You’re right though, the reason our team stopped playing was because we were going to win the league but got docked points for playing a lad that wasn’t signed on, this was only done because we struggled to get 11 one week and almost always had the same 12-13 lads turn up. Low and behold we lost the league by 1-2 points to another team who put the complaint in, funny really as they often did the same thing.... As you say, their manager was well in with the league committee. I don’t need to say his name, as I’m sure you had the same problems :roll:

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:05 am

Long gone are the days when the " Burnley Express " would have all the results and scorers from 4 Divisions in the sports section ...

Help me out here, when I first moved to Burnley and around the early 90's, there was a striker who played for the Railway Club, Rosegrove, where my late father was a member, and he seemed to get hatfulls each season .... I've had a senior moment ?? :x

Lord Rothbury
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Lord Rothbury » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:21 am

Mick Thompson,Mick Chapman,Steve Whitehead all played round about that time for British Rail.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:26 am

Lord Rothbury wrote:Mick Thompson,Mick Chapman,Steve Whitehead all played round about that time for British Rail.
I've got the namd Graham Pennington in my head, but I think that's wrong....

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 287 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:33 am

Clarets4me wrote:I've got the namd Graham Pennington in my head, but I think that's wrong....
Colin Pennington that would be.

Don't whatever you do spread the word that Graham Parrington netted hatfuls (joking)! :lol:

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:34 am

beeholeclaret wrote:Colin Pennington that would be.

Don't whatever you do spread the word that Graham Parrington netted hatfuls (joking)! :lol:
Colin Pennington !! That's it, been bugging me all morning .... thank you, Sir !!

Lord Rothbury

Post by Lord Rothbury » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:35 am

Yes I think he played but after the 3 I mentioned.Different set of players not as good and a lower division 'The lads I mentioned played when the Rail won the Saturday league more than once .

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:40 am

Mick Cowan was a good friend of Mick Clancy, my late brother in law who sadly collapsed and died aged 21, playing for the BAOR in Belgium in the early 1980's, I know " Lovecurrypies " knew him well too , Mick's daughter bought my mother in laws old house in Rosegrove, when she downsized ...

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:41 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Gaz Evans was a surprisingly good player. Playing for us at 40 odd. Must have been a good player in his younger days.
Played with him, but mostly against him from primary school age till way into 30s. He was a very very good player...I won’t comment on the other aspects of his game....other than I remember in one friendly he elbowed me in the face literally seconds after the kick off and the ball was nowhere near either of us !!
When I see him now he still grabs me round the neck and tells me how much he hates catholics !!
We played in the same team for only one season for Stanley United which was ran by a great local footballer called Jez Rainford I think - 10 years older than me at least but believe he played for England schoolboys.

My favourite Sunday League game ever was one very wet Sunday on pitch 8 - we played Butterfly with Gaz Evans and all the usual lads - they were top of league as always. We won 8-2....they were trying to kick lumps out of us and going mad at the referee, fighting amongst themselves...all the things they did when they got beat. At the end of the game they just laughed and shook our hands as normal as we’d been playing against each other for years so they did have a begrudging respect.
Because of the pouring rain there was a big pool of water developed next to the pitch near the changing room. Whilst walking off a few of em picked up the referee and threw him in.....referee took it in great spirit !!

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:44 am

beeholeclaret wrote:Colin Pennington that would be.

Colin P played for St Teds OB for a few years. I used to pick him up down Cog Lane - he was always late and rough from night before. Decent player though
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:58 am

Clarets4me wrote:Long gone are the days when the " Burnley Express " would have all the results and scorers from 4 Divisions in the sports section ...

Help me out here, when I first moved to Burnley and around the early 90's, there was a striker who played for the Railway Club, Rosegrove, where my late father was a member, and he seemed to get hatfulls each season .... I've had a senior moment ?? :x
I played for British Rail/Rosegrove Railway through the mid-late 90’s, but on Saturday’s (4 divisions of about 12 back then!). Won the league a few times, plus got to a couple of Hospital Cup finals 95-96 ish. Mick Cowan ran the side with John Riddle. Colin Pennington was rapid (small guy, shaven head, earring), and Briggsy (he of the famous Burnley Express picture where he had his willy on another player’s shoulder for a team photo :o ) used to get his fair share of goals, but we also had Kiko Rodriguez for a year or two as well, along with Phil Malley (Ex-Pro here), Darren Feeney (ex Leeds United YTS) etc. Good side.

Burnley Miners were the best Sunday side for years in the 90’s, and had some fine players who should have played to a much higher standard. The Miners lads, a lot of them, played for the Irish league on Saturdays. Then the sides competing In the Sunday League late 90’s (3 divisions of 10 I think it was) were Park View and General Havelock.

Back to the original point though, I feel people are missing something important. The 24 hour drinking laws have wrecked weekend sport in Burnley and other small towns. We used to go out, get home for 2am, wake up at 10 rough, but by 12.30 we were in the changing rooms having a laugh and ready to play. Now they don’t get in until 6-7am, so there’s no way they’re doing anything that day. Really sad to see, and our council should change things.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:16 pm

Yep spot on re the impact of the 24 hour drinking laws but also think the decline had started before then.
Remember the likes of Belvedere and Grammar School old boys had up to 7 teams each competing in different Saturday leagues back in the early 90s and the Saturday and Sunday local leagues both had 4 divisions.

The demise of schoolboy football was a big factor - I remember a lot of the lads mentioned above from school football. We played most Wednesdays and Saturday mornings for the school from age 11 to 18.
When I was in sixth form I played on Saturday morning for the school first eleven...went home for an hour for lunch then set off to play for Grammar School old boys on Saturday afternoon. Played in Sunday league aswell and most Wednesdays for the school.

Now I play 5 a side once a week every Friday and can’t walk most of the weekend !

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:34 pm

Shame but a sign of the times. Youths just want to pkay video games etc instead ot sport.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:10 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:Alan Hosker..... shudder! Is he not a UKIP councillor now (I’ll keep my opinion to myself on him)

You’re right though, the reason our team stopped playing was because we were going to win the league but got docked points for playing a lad that wasn’t signed on, this was only done because we struggled to get 11 one week and almost always had the same 12-13 lads turn up. Low and behold we lost the league by 1-2 points to another team who put the complaint in, funny really as they often did the same thing.... As you say, their manager was well in with the league committee. I don’t need to say his name, as I’m sure you had the same problems :roll:
Did his last name rhyme with (unt and he managed george fourth?

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:14 pm

TVC15 wrote:Played with him, but mostly against him from primary school age till way into 30s. He was a very very good player...I won’t comment on the other aspects of his game....other than I remember in one friendly he elbowed me in the face literally seconds after the kick off and the ball was nowhere near either of us !!
When I see him now he still grabs me round the neck and tells me how much he hates catholics !!
We played in the same team for only one season for Stanley United which was ran by a great local footballer called Jez Rainford I think - 10 years older than me at least but believe he played for England schoolboys.

My favourite Sunday League game ever was one very wet Sunday on pitch 8 - we played Butterfly with Gaz Evans and all the usual lads - they were top of league as always. We won 8-2....they were trying to kick lumps out of us and going mad at the referee, fighting amongst themselves...all the things they did when they got beat. At the end of the game they just laughed and shook our hands as normal as we’d been playing against each other for years so they did have a begrudging respect.
Because of the pouring rain there was a big pool of water developed next to the pitch near the changing room. Whilst walking off a few of em picked up the referee and threw him in.....referee took it in great spirit !!
He was great for us. We were all between 16 and about 23. So having him in really helped.

We played him in a cup match at the back against an unbeaten and seemingly unbeatable healy wood. It was our first season together and they were top of the league above us and unbeaten in years.

He controlled the game. Using very little pace just a bit of clever movement.

We then went down to ten men. Aforementioned Richard Kellys lad sent off.

119th minute who gets the winner? Gaz Evans.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:18 pm

Claretforever wrote:I played for British Rail/Rosegrove Railway through the mid-late 90’s, but on Saturday’s (4 divisions of about 12 back then!). Won the league a few times, plus got to a couple of Hospital Cup finals 95-96 ish. Mick Cowan ran the side with John Riddle. Colin Pennington was rapid (small guy, shaven head, earring), and Briggsy (he of the famous Burnley Express picture where he had his willy on another player’s shoulder for a team photo :o ) used to get his fair share of goals, but we also had Kiko Rodriguez for a year or two as well, along with Phil Malley (Ex-Pro here), Darren Feeney (ex Leeds United YTS) etc. Good side.

Burnley Miners were the best Sunday side for years in the 90’s, and had some fine players who should have played to a much higher standard. The Miners lads, a lot of them, played for the Irish league on Saturdays. Then the sides competing In the Sunday League late 90’s (3 divisions of 10 I think it was) were Park View and General Havelock.

Back to the original point though, I feel people are missing something important. The 24 hour drinking laws have wrecked weekend sport in Burnley and other small towns. We used to go out, get home for 2am, wake up at 10 rough, but by 12.30 we were in the changing rooms having a laugh and ready to play. Now they don’t get in until 6-7am, so there’s no way they’re doing anything that day. Really sad to see, and our council should change things.
That last bit mentioning the dressing rooms has really made me reminisce.

Rough as rats. Getting into a dressing room that stunk of deep heat and BO instantly waking you up. Proper studs walking out. Any excuse to miss putting the net up. And doing that slow pretend run as a warm up.

Game gets started and proper sorts you out.

Miss it. But couldnt be arsed now with the way it is. There are lads who still are proper committed though. Scott and Craig Robinson at 40 odd love it. Wish I still did.
This user liked this post: Claretforever

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:26 pm

Them were the days
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:38 pm

Best footballer I ever played with and he probably won't appreciate this, because he's someone who prefers to keep his name out of any limelight... James Murray. The best player I've ever played with and when he was in the Army, played for THE army team and was odds on to play professional football. He would turn up for and score 18 goals in 6 games.

I wanted him to play against Burnley Boys Club as he was so much better than players such as John Bentley (again - I'm sure some of you know him), but he could only play like 4 times a season.

Then there was Robert Sinclair - I'm sure there are people on here who know who I mean. He did cage fighting too.

We had such a good team but the problem was Sunday morning hangovers so we often didn't get everyone together. When we did, at the time, we'd have easily given the Miners a game, no problem at all.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:25 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Best footballer I ever played with and he probably won't appreciate this, because he's someone who prefers to keep his name out of any limelight... James Murray. The best player I've ever played with and when he was in the Army, played for THE army team and was odds on to play professional football. He would turn up for and score 18 goals in 6 games.

I wanted him to play against Burnley Boys Club as he was so much better than players such as John Bentley (again - I'm sure some of you know him), but he could only play like 4 times a season.

Then there was Robert Sinclair - I'm sure there are people on here who know who I mean. He did cage fighting too.

We had such a good team but the problem was Sunday morning hangovers so we often didn't get everyone together. When we did, at the time, we'd have easily given the Miners a game, no problem at all.
Is that when you were faster than Ronaldo?

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:27 am

FactualFrank wrote:Best footballer I ever played with and he probably won't appreciate this, because he's someone who prefers to keep his name out of any limelight... James Murray. The best player I've ever played with and when he was in the Army, played for THE army team and was odds on to play professional football. He would turn up for and score 18 goals in 6 games.

Is that the same John Bentley who was on Burnley’s books in the mid/late 90’s?

Chuckypad
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 274 times

Post by Chuckypad » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:00 am

There have been some legendary fights on the pitches of Towneley and Prairie over the years

theroyaldyche Vs cricketfieldclarets is up there with Hagler Vs Hearns

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:53 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Last nail in the coffin was 4g pitches. Most lads could get their fix midweek in a quick game of 5 or 6 aside. The leagues were run better. It was cheaper. Didnt take up all your sunday. And the mard arses didnt get cold wet and muddy. And they could spend all sunday with their birds...
I think this nails it to be fair. It's not something unique to Burnley, same has happened everywhere. There used to be 4 divisions in Accy, even for a Sunday morning league.

One more factor I suppose is the decline of 'local' pubs. Every pub had its own team 15 years ago, there must have been half a dozen at least just in Ossy. Now football is based around midweek 7-a-side work games. It's more a leisure thing than a competitive sport. And that probably is more enjoyable for most, rather than putting nets up on frozen, dog-s**t covered mud heaps just so some hungover gorilla from Haslingden can try and snap your legs for 90 minutes.

Lord Rothbury

Post by Lord Rothbury » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:06 am

There were some horrendous places to play at in winter Madden Rec and Trawden are just two.It could be so cold
i will swear there were polar bears watching from the side lines some weeks.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:10 am

Did Pete Clare play for Belvedere on a Sat along with his brother?

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 am

Chuckypad wrote:There have been some legendary fights on the pitches of Towneley and Prairie over the years

theroyaldyche Vs cricketfieldclarets is up there with Hagler Vs Hearns
Some belting rivalries

Woodman and bwood
George and prinny
Healeywood and bayhorse/prinny

Then i went and played for the george in my final outings and won league and cup

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:30 pm

Lord Rothbury wrote:There were some horrendous places to play at in winter Madden Rec and Trawden are just two.It could be so cold
i will swear there were polar bears watching from the side lines some weeks.
Maden Rec is horrendous in the summer!

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:46 pm

beeholeclaret wrote: supported by the durable Jackie Barnes in his grey mack (who do you play for? What colour do you play in? He's offside ref?) .
The appearance of the legendary Jackie Barnes always made a match more memorable
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:01 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:The appearance of the legendary Jackie Barnes always made a match more memorable
‘What score is it?’

BigRedrose
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by BigRedrose » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Playing Sunday league football (and cricket in the summer), and the associated social side of being in a team, gave me some of the happiest times of my life. My team, Redrose, were formed in the mid 70's by a group of like minded Clarets supporters and continued in the league for 30 consecutive until 4th February 2007, before old age and creaking bones forced us to call it a day. By then, several of our team had been playing for 25 years or more. Unfortunately, like others have said, we were finding it increasingly difficult to attract new, younger players.
We were never going to be competing for the league's top prizes, ( though we had modest success with the occasional trophy), but just enjoyed being part of a team, playing against like minded sides such as Coal Clough Casuals, with whom we had a friendly rivalry.
12 years on I miss Sunday league football so much and cannot believe the younger generation would rather be sat inside playing virtual football when they could be up Towneley doing the real thing!
These 4 users liked this post: Goody1975 Dark Cloud cricketfieldclarets basil6345789

Goody1975
Been Liked: 978 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by Goody1975 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:07 pm

BigRedrose wrote:Playing Sunday league football (and cricket in the summer), and the associated social side of being in a team, gave me some of the happiest times of my life. My team, Redrose, were formed in the mid 70's by a group of like minded Clarets supporters and continued in the league for 30 consecutive until 4th February 2007, before old age and creaking bones forced us to call it a day. By then, several of our team had been playing for 25 years or more. Unfortunately, like others have said, we were finding it increasingly difficult to attract new, younger players.
We were never going to be competing for the league's top prizes, ( though we had modest success with the occasional trophy), but just enjoyed being part of a team, playing against like minded sides such as Coal Clough Casuals, with whom we had a friendly rivalry.
12 years on I miss Sunday league football so much and cannot believe the younger generation would rather be sat inside playing virtual football when they could be up Towneley doing the real thing!
Loved playing in the team with you guys in it's last few years, like you said we were struggling to get lads to turn up on a consistent basis and was a massive shame when Redrose pulled down the net for the final time.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:16 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Is that when you were faster than Ronaldo?
About the same time, yes.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:17 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Is that the same John Bentley who was on Burnley’s books in the mid/late 90’s?
No idea but I doubt it. The one I'm on about went to Ted's and James was better. Hence why I said it's the best player I've played with/againt.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:29 pm

FactualFrank wrote:No idea but I doubt it. The one I'm on about went to Ted's and James was better. Hence why I said it's the best player I've played with/againt.
Might be different one. The one I’m on about was left footer was likened to Kevin Kilbane at one point by a coach. Unfortunately his head was turned by the booze and birds and he was released.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:35 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Might be different one. The one I’m on about was left footer was likened to Kevin Kilbane at one point of a coach. Unfortunately his head was turned by the booze and birds and he was released.
Not sure. If we're on about the same person let's just say I was never a fan of his. That's the polite way. He was left footed.

But as I say, I played a lot of Sunday League football in the mid-late 90s and Murray was the best player I've seen. Better than Bentley, easily. And to play for the Army team you have to be good. I guess we've all played with/against players who were good enough for professional football but it just never materialised.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:10 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Not sure. If we're on about the same person let's just say I was never a fan of his. That's the polite way. He was left footed.

But as I say, I played a lot of Sunday League football in the mid-late 90s and Murray was the best player I've seen. Better than Bentley, easily. And to play for the Army team you have to be good. I guess we've all played with/against players who were good enough for professional football but it just never materialised.
I know of John Bentley; quite a cultured player from memory...only used his right leg to stand on though! Haha

Just out of interest, what position did you play FF?

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:12 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:I know of John Bentley; quite a cultured player from memory...only used his right leg to stand on though! Haha

Just out of interest, what position did you play FF?
Central midfield and wing, but just out of interest, why would that matter? ;)

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:45 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:The appearance of the legendary Jackie Barnes always made a match more memorable
When Leighton James was playing cricket for Lowerhouse against Haslingden at Bent Gate he was fielding on the boundary. Jackie Barnes wandered along and shouted to Taffy 'did you win the toss'? 'No', came the reply. There was a brief silence and then Jackie Barnes asked 'did you lose it then'?
These 3 users liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm JohnDearyMe THEWELLERNUT70

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:56 pm

Posted this before but there can’t be many people who had their own dedicated advertising board like the one Jackie did up at Dark Lane!

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Posted this before but there can’t be many people who had their own dedicated advertising board like the one Jackie did up at Dark Lane!
In the days of 'fancy dress parties' I recall someone attending one as a Jackie Barnes lookalike. :)
This user liked this post: Steve-Harpers-perm

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:01 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Central midfield and wing, but just out of interest, why would that matter? ;)
Just wondering if I can work out who you are...but I don't think I can. Who did you play for?

Played lots of junior football in Burnley leagues and as well as some Sunday League stuff so thought I might be able to work it out. Also, never heard of James Murray.