McNeil - Future England Player?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: McNeil - Future England Player?

Post by TVC15 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Oh and btw I think based on this thread there are 2 of you who think they were at their best in their teens.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:20 pm

DustyBawls wrote:Watch football and he was at his peak from 16-19.

Stats in this case, don't tell you the full story.
I watch plenty of football and I recall Rooney having the best form of his career in his mid twenties. So I checked on his career statistics and they reinforce my memory and prove that I’m correct.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:13 pm

McNeil does what he does well without having a lot of pace. It’s less of a requirement at international level but to be called up properly he’s got to do it for someone better than us realistically to even be in with a shout. Left wing one of England’s most fruitful positions, got Sterling, Rashford and Sancho at least who can play there.

For me, if he’s going to do it at a European (which will presumably will not be with us if so), McNeil will benefit from moving more centrally or to the right instead of being an out and out left winger. We shall see.

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:22 pm

SGr wrote:McNeil does what he does well without having a lot of pace. It’s less of a requirement at international level but to be called up properly he’s got to do it for someone better than us realistically to even be in with a shout. Left wing one of England’s most fruitful positions, got Sterling, Rashford and Sancho at least who can play there.

For me, if he’s going to do it at a European (which will presumably will not be with us if so), McNeil will benefit from moving more centrally or to the right instead of being an out and out left winger. We shall see.
The right? I'd say that's the one position he should never play. I do think he could do a job upfront, but at the moment he needs to be exactly where he is. He's not a central midfielder either.

Why move somebody who is playing so well?

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:40 pm

DustyBawls wrote:The right? I'd say that's the one position he should never play. I do think he could do a job upfront, but at the moment he needs to be exactly where he is. He's not a central midfielder either.

Why move somebody who is playing so well?
Has featured there for the youth team before. And no I agree he’s not a central midfielder, I meant behind the striker similar to how Alli features for Spurs.

And I’m also not saying we’re going to move him. I’m saying I believe it would benefit him personally if he were to take the step up to say a top 6 club.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:51 pm

There was once an online AGM streamed and we were allowed to post Q&A and i asked what do you think the chances of Ings and Tripps being called up for england as they were playing out of their skin at the time. Then answer i got from Dyche was lets slow down a bit and not get out of control, they ae no where near that level as yet, 3 months later they are both in the squad. At the time i thought Dyche had a point, but you just never know, and we have been crying out for left winger for a hell of a long time.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:28 am

Can't believe no-one has twigged that dusty and colonel are one and the same.
He sounds like a 12 year old imploding turtle, who needs congratulating on hitting 16.

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:36 am

Siddo wrote:Can't believe no-one has twigged that dusty and colonel are one and the same.
He sounds like a 12 year old imploding turtle, who needs congratulating on hitting 16.
We actually look the same as well. I think. :D

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:10 am

DustyBawls wrote:A superb example of somebody twisting what somebody put to suit their own agenda. I know how ImplodingTurtle feels.

You are suggesting, I've said ALL players peak at 18. You know I never said that. I said Rooney and Owen both peaked in their teens. BECAUSE THEY DID.
Are you suggesting you felt him ?

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:01 am

Any chance that he has any Irish grandparents ?????
This user liked this post: DustyBawls

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:42 am

If he played for United or Chelsea then he’d be an England contender and would be worth £80m

Let’s just keep him to ourselves for a while

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:45 am

DustyBawls wrote:Watch football and he was at his peak from 16-19.
So you think he was at his peak when his goal record was 34 in 120 (about 1 in 4)?

Being at your peak isn't the same as being at your fastest. It doesn't mean scoring a few goals against Switzerland and Croatia. Rooney was clearly at his peak when he was scoring 30+ goals a season, winning leagues and Champions Leagues, scoring in Champions League finals etc. Ask Alex Ferguson when he was at his peak, he'll put you straight.