Liverpool v Burnley - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Re: Liverpool v Burnley - Player Ratings

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:57 pm

Heaton 3 ( not allowed to give less) Gifted 2 goals to Liverpool. Shocking
Bardsley 5
Tarks 5 Set the tone with first pass of day from kick off
Mee 6
Taylor 8 MOM playing his heart out unlike some of his team mates
Hendrick 4
Cork 5
Westwood 6
Mcneil 7 Some classy moves and great crosses which should have created more than they did
Barnes 6
Wood 4 Back to his worst.

Vydra Seriously !!
JBG scored again
Crouch seriously !! we would rather have him coming on than Vokes ?

Big trouble now. Resurgent Leicester under Rogers and Wolves who seem to be unbeatable away from home up next

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Heaton 4
Bardsley 5
Tarkowski 5
Mee 5
Taylor 10 (yes 10!)
Hendrick 5
Cork 5
Westwood 6
McNeil 8
Barnes 6
Wood 5

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Heaton 4
Bardsley 5
Tarkowski 5
Mee 7
Taylor 7
Hendrick 4
Cork 4
Westwood 6
McNeil 7
Barnes 5
Wood 5

JBG and Vydra did ok when came on. Crouch offered nothing of note.

Think we could have got something today if we hadn’t had such individual sloppy play. Hendrick and Cork just looked poor. Heatons had many good days in the past but he will be nowhere near England on that showing and will have Pope breathing down his neck.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:17 pm

Pstotto wrote:Well observed, taio. Now go and watch the replays and well-observe those and then let's read your descriptions in detail, referencing mine if you want.

Depechedingle, Tarkowski was running into the goal in the same direction as Salah, if he was coming from the line at Salah then that would have been different.

Looks like Forensic Architecture will have to be in, from Goldsmiths.
First goal Heaton was at fault. As a minimum he should have been able to parry it away from goal.

Fourth goal he was at fault again - it was simply poor kicking. Nobody else to blame.

I haven't seen them back but pretty sure the above will hold true.

As for referencing yours, I'll be honest and say I didn't get past your first line when you said he wasn't at fault for any of the goals.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Heaton 4
Bardsley 5
Tarkowski 5
Mee 7
Taylor 8
Hendrick 5
Cork 4
Westwood 6
McNeil 8
Wood 5
Barnes 5

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Heaton 4
Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 6
Mee 7
Taylor 9 (MOM)
Hendrick 4
Westwood 6
Cork 5
McNeil 7
Barnes 6
Wood 5

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Heaton 5
Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 7
Mee 8
Taylor 9
Hendrick 5
Westwood 6
Cork 6
McNeil 8
Barnes 5
Wood 4

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:58 pm

Weird game. Liverpool not at the races and we completely gifted them the four goals.

Heaton 4 - at fault for two goals
Bardsley 6 - at some stage we are going to have to realise we can't just attack down one flank and he'll be back on the bench
Mee 6 - solid
Tarkowski 6 - as Mee
Taylor 9* - exceptional. Two goal saving tackles bailing other players out of trouble but both fell for tap ins
Hendrick 5 - been a fan of him here, but struggled today
Cork 5 - hustled out of it too much
Westwood 6 - as above, but slightly better use of ball
o'Neill 8 - really good, a couple of his crosses criminally not anticipated by our front two
Wood 5 - been great, but not a threat today
Barnes 5 - as above

Subs
Vydra 7
JBG 7
Crouch 6

strayclaret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by strayclaret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:03 pm

Heaton 5
Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 5
Mee 7
Taylor 8
Hendrick 5
Westwood 6
Cork 4
McNeil 6
Barnes 5
Wood 5
Sloppy performance, too many gifts, to a Liverpool side who thankfully weren’t firing on all cylinders ;)

claretgilly
Been Liked: 29 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by claretgilly » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Heaton 4 - Not sure how he missed the first one. Poor kick for the 3rd, although a Sunday league manager would tell his defence to stay goal side

Bardsley 7 - you know he has limitations but he's always going to give absolutely everything evidenced by his block towards the end, great to see
Tarks 6 - not brilliant, not a disaster
Mee 7 - just a good lad, first name on the team sheet for me
Taylor 8 - more really promising stuff. His improvement has coincided with McNeil being involved

Hendrick 4 - the 2nd goal epitomises his increasingly frustrating faffing about on the ball to be honest. Surely time for Gudmundsson until he gets injured again
Cork 5 - just seems weak as pish at times
Westwood 6 - fine. We finally have consistent, decent deliveries from corners on his side
McNeil 9 - what a star

Barnes 5 - tough gig but he tried
Wood 5 - kind of as above, but moments like that low cross from McNeil where he just stood there and didn't get in front are important 'details', as Dyche would say

You can't be giving goals away like that an Anfield. We do panic against some of these big teams at times. Four big games coming up!

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:26 pm

FCBurnley wrote:Big trouble now. Resurgent Leicester under Rogers and Wolves who seem to be unbeatable away from home up next
Wolves got beaten at Huddersfield in their last away game before today's.

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Heaton 5

Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 7
Mee 8
Taylor 9

Hendrick 5
Cork 6
Westwood 6
McNeil 8

Barnes 6
Wood 6

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Heaton 4 -Been great last 8-9 games but very off day today. It happens. Still a top goalie.
Bardsley 6
Taylor 7
Tarks 6
Mee 8*
Cork 6
Westwood 7 (includes +1 for the goal)
O'neill 7
Hendrick 5 Poor for their 2nd goal.Just boot it with your left foot. Don't give the opposition 5 seconds while you wait for your team-mate to clear it.
Wood- 4 -Sluggish
Barnes 5

Strange one today. Overall don't think we played badly. To score 2 goals at Anfield and come away with nothing is disappointing.
We probably didn't have the rub of the green but unfortunately we were pretty much the architects of our own down-fall gifting Liverpool 3 goals.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:49 pm

Got to be honest, if the general consensus is that we lost the game because we gave at least two goals away, then I'm not sure the majority of the ratings here reflect the performance level required to compete with a team like Liverpool - there seems to me to a bit of an expectation gap.

Heaton - 5 - One super save at 3-1, but he could have done better with the opening goal (even if the root of the problem was Taylor and McNeil getting caught narrow) and possibly the fourth, whilst the third was a clear error.

Bardsley - 6 - Other than the second goal, when I think he should have been expecting the pass from Hendrick he was defensively sound, at least until Hendrick went off, but his attacking play wasn't quite good enough to give us balance down that flank and he was guilty of clumsily giving the ball away, and ending up out of position as a result, for the fourth goal.

Taylor - 7 - Did the last ditch stuff superbly well, but not unlike last week against Zaha, he struggled a bit one v one.

Tarkowski - 7 - Unfortunate for the first goal, otherwise pretty solid defensively.

Mee - 8 - Decent afternoon's work.

Westwood - 7 - Always a tough ask against a team of Liverpool's calibre, especially when they pack the midfield, but he did a solid enough job.

Cork - 7 - Much as per Westwood.

Hendrick - 6 - Partially responsible for the first goal because the touch back to Bardsley wasn't good enough, but there was no problem with the principle of what he was trying to do. Not really an attacking threat, but he did a sterling job of neutralising Robertson and it was no coincidence that until he went off, most of Liverpool's threat came down the opposite flank.

McNeil - 8 - Guilty of switching off defensively once or twice - particularly for their opening goal when he got caught too narrow and left Taylor with an imposssible job - but in possession he had a superb afternoon, comprehensively getting the better of Alexander Arnold. If we're being hyper critical, he didn't quite produce the killer ball, but that owed as much to the fact his teammates weren't really on his wave length.

Barnes - 5 - Worked his socks off, but got very little change out of Van Dijk and didn't get to grips with Liverpool's offside trap.

Wood - 6 - Thought he looked the more likely threat up front and he held the ball nicely, but no real opportunities to score.

JBG - 7 - Neatly taken goal and added a bit more attacking purpose down the right.

Crouch - 6 - Provided some nuisance factor which partly assisted our second goal.

Vydra - 6 - After a couple of early clumsy touches, gave a useful cameo including some intelligent link up play for our second goal.

This game reminded me a bit of a visit to Old Trafford during Dyche's first Premier League campaign, when we got ahead, played pretty well but shot ourselves in the foot by conceding uncharacteristically sloppy goals (on that occasion, from set pieces). Liverpool may not have been at their best, and conditions may not have helped either side, but aside from a 5 or 10 minute spell after going 2-1 down, we looked generally pretty solid and well organised, restricted Liverpool to half chances, and carried an occasional threat when we got a chance to attack (mainly through McNeil).

The equaliser was a bit unlucky and had we seen out the first half hour with a one goal lead the feel of the stadium might have been very different. The second Liverpool goal owed most to a communication breakdown (but it should be noted that the touch back to the ongoing defender to get a proper clearance away, rather than the first man lashing the ball anywhere, was a tactic we adopted numerous times today, so whilst Hendrick's touch was a tad short, I'm not sure why Bardsley was on his heels and that appeared to me to be the main problem) and the third was a basic error. In the meantime, Liverpool barely had a shot - of any type - on our goal. Had we cut any of those errors out, we'd have gone in to the final quarter of the game well in contention.

The players all deserve much more credit than they're getting for achieving that much, given what a good team Liverpool are - and for persevering and getting back into the game briefly at 3-2. But even allowing for the mistakes there's no disgrace in losing by two goals at Liverpool and some perspective is most definitely needed.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:01 pm

This game reminded me a bit of a visit to Old Trafford during Dyche's first Premier League campaign, when we got ahead,

Spice, we went 1-0 down in that game. Smalling scored then ings equalised.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:05 pm

Apologies- the mind playing tricks. But the general point about a good performance undermined by uncharacteristic errors stands I hope.

Vintage Claret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by Vintage Claret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:06 pm

"Got to be honest, if the general consensus is that we lost the game because we gave at least two goals away, then I'm not sure the majority of the ratings here reflect the performance level required to compete with a team like Liverpool - there seems to me to a bit of an expectation gap".

Understand what you're saying Spice but personally I only rate players on how I perceive their performance on the day, not who we're playing.

As I commented, I don't think we played badly today (collectively) but a mistake by an individual player that leads to an opposition goal is a mistake that effects my ratings whether we're playing Liverpool or Huddersfield.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Heaton being exposed by the inability of others to mark players today.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Heaton 5

Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 7
Mee 8 
Taylor 9

Hendrick 5
Cork 6
Westwood 7
McNeil 8

Barnes 6
Wood 6

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:29 pm

We gifted them 3 goals.
C'est la vie. Decent overall. Taylor great

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Heaton 5 Bad day at the office but unlucky with the kick out and NOT at fault 1st goal but ended up getting in Tarks way unitentionally and thats what gave them the goal.
Taylor 8 our best player along with Mcneil
Mee 7 decent enough
Tarks 6 bit off today
Bardsley 7 full bloddied stuff from Bards
Cork 5 faded after lively enough start
Hendrick 4 Jeff was quite simply annonymous
Westwood 5 1 for his goal but otherwise treading water at best
McNeil 8 good again and works well with taylor
Barnes 5 no service to speak of
Wood 5 as per Barnes

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:59 pm

To be fair Spice, I think we played more than alright, which is why I'm so disappointed that we gave them all four goals.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

thelifeofbrian
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by thelifeofbrian » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:01 pm

warksclaret wrote:Heaton 6
Taylor 9
Mee 6
Tarks 6
Bardley 7
Cork 6
Hendrick 6
Westwood 6
McNeil 8
Barnes 6
Wood 5
HEATON A 6- did you watch the match?

thelifeofbrian
Been Liked: 85 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by thelifeofbrian » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:04 pm

Heaton 3 At fault for 2 Goals Possibly 3 as he was in no mans land for their fourth goal.
Bardsley 6
Taylor 9
Tarks 6
Mee 7
Cork 5
Westwood 6
O'neill 8
Hendrick 4
Wood- 5
Barnes 5

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:To be fair Spice, I think we played more than alright, which is why I'm so disappointed that we gave them all four goals.
Completely understand that Lancs, and also totally understand folk marking down errors. But I reckon that the starting point is we did pretty well today and the players aren't quite getting the credit they deserve.
These 3 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 Leisure Lancasterclaret

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Heaton 5
Bardsley 5 (sometimes it look like he’d ‘back-pedal’ all the way to his own goal line)
Tarkowski 6
Mee 7
Taylor 8*
Hendrick 5 (ok, Robertson was quietish, but contributed little with the ball, thought he looked off the pace and should have been hooked for JBG earlier)
Westwood 7
Cork 7
McNeill 8
Barnes 6
Wood 7

Crouch 7
Vydra 6

I felt there was something for us there today if it wasn’t for some really poor errors at the back. To be fair you could probably count the points Heaton has cost us in the past on one hand.. By definition of probability it was going to happen some time. Good to see the fans sing his name at the end, he was clearly devastated. Generally our good team shape made it difficult for them to play their natural game, aided by Alexander Arnold’s truly woeful display in the first half (he was better after).
Really perplexed why we didn’t try and maintain our excellent start to the second half with some positive contributions from the bench. I don’t knock SD for much but it was clear we only had a left-sided threat and I thought Liverpool were nervy today, despite all that: If only McNeil had got another couple of inches height on that cross in added on time, we could have been looking at 3-3.

MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Heaton 3
Bardsley 5
Tarkowski 5
Mee 6
Taylor 7*
Hendrick 4
Cork 6
Westwood 6
McNeil 7
Wood 5
Barnes 5

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Just seen a shocking statistic - Hendrick's pass completion just 35.7%. If that's correct it's truly awful by any standard. Hopefully it's a blip because he's done well on the right.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:26 pm

taio wrote:Just seen a shocking statistic - Hendrick's pass completion just 35.7%. If that's correct it's truly awful by any standard. Hopefully it's a blip because he's done well on the right.
He's averaging 78% over the season so I think it's safe to say it's a blip.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Heaton 4 (So often the hero, but not today unfortunately! Cost us 2, maybe 3)
Bardsley 6 (-1 for cocking up for 4th goal)
Tarks 7
Mee 8
Taylor 8 (Another very good showing)
Cork 5 (Far too weak imo)
Westwood 6
Hendrick 5 (Got an awful lot of the ball, but has absolutely no composure. Looks to me like an excellent Championship player!)
McNeil 8 (A constant threat)
Barnes 8
Wood 7

Crouch 6
JBG 7
Vydra N/A

What a weird game to score! We actually played well overall and were a threat throughout and COULD have nicked something from this game, BUT sadly we made 4 bad mistakes which cost us all 4 goals. Heaton was definitely at fault for 1 and 3 and maybe could have done much better on the 4th which was also down to Bardsley and Crouch getting their wires crossed. Goal number 2 should also have been cleared. Considering we were outplayed and certainly out muscled in midfield and had a ref who was determined to give us absolutely f'*** all, we took the game to them when we could and at 2-1 were really in it until Heaton blew it and even at 3-2 with a few minutes left I believed we could get something as they were suddenly rocking. But again we gifted them a goal from our mess up. Against lesser opposition, playing like we did would surely get us points so we have to dust ourselves down and go again next week. It says an awful lot that I came away disappointed that we got nothing from one of the 2 teams challenging for the title and that gives me hope. Having said that, if I was betting man I'd stick my house on City winning said title because they are absolutely miles ahead of Liverpool.

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:11 pm

Heaton 5
Bardsley 6
Tarkowski 6
Mee 7
Taylor 8
Hendrick 5
Cork 5
Westwood 6
McNeil 8
Wood 6
Barnes 6

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Cubanclaret wrote: aided by Alexander Arnold’s truly woeful display in the first half (he was better after)
he was better after he'd been subbed! ;)

:D

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:27 pm

Pstotto wrote:Claretblue, YOU SUCKER. Oh it's on the BBC website, therefore it's right.
Dyche said this:

“You can’t give away mistakes like we did today, definitely three out of the four (goals) and you could argue all four,” admitted Dyche

Sean agrees wiv me not you! ;)

:D

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:35 pm

taio wrote:Just seen a shocking statistic - Hendrick's pass completion just 35.7%. If that's correct it's truly awful by any standard. Hopefully it's a blip because he's done well on the right.
Not just 36% but only 15 passes, one of which led to the key goal. Only 3 passes in the second half despite being on over 30 minutes.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:50 pm

Heaton 4
Bardsley 4
Tarkowski 6
Mee 7
Taylor 8
Hendrick 5
Westwood 5
Cork 4
McNeil 8
Barnes 5
Wood 5

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:21 pm

Claretblue, not all Heaton's fault.

Mistake 1. Tarkowski didn't call the keeper to leave it for him to clear, or the noise was too loud. I'm not sure diving out for a cross to push has ever been a success, Heaton was at full stretch and couldn't have caught it. Debatabel as to whose fault it was, perhaps the blame lay further back in the move for being done by Salah's quckness, whatever.

Mistake 2. The football who headed the ball, should have headed it to the right instead of the left, then Hendrick doesn't boot it with his left foot and plays Bardsley into trouble.

Mistake 3. Heaton's kick was very poor but one doesn't know the mitigating weather factors. I have no idea why all footballers gather in one group and then the keeper kicks it into the group. Surely the best thing is when that scrum 'thingy' business happens, kick it into the empty space over the other side of the pitch and run for it. It is THE MOST BIZARRE thing in modern football. Also Heaton was slow out of his box, after.

OK I was sticking up for him to counteract the rest, so I'll say he was responsible for 1 and a half of the goals minus a half for having to obey a silly tactic.

I can't remember the other goal.