Recruiting players

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
bartonscigar
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Recruiting players

Post by bartonscigar » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Where are European scouts looking. We hardly ever look abroad. Steven Defour the only exception i can think of and we only managed to get him because he is a crock. Look at Leicester when they signed Mahrez and Kante. Kante was playing in the lower leagues of France if i remember rightly i may be wrong. Surely we should be bringing in more foreign talent. Why do we persist in only looking at championship players is beyond me.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Re: Recruiting players

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:59 pm

People in Burnley don’t like Europeans.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:03 pm

The club reeks of small town small time mentality from boardroom to fans. Little old Burnley line is incredibly tiresome and it has held us back for far too long.
This user liked this post: SGr

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:06 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:People in Burnley don’t like Europeans.
Only dodgy politicians.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:12 pm

bartonscigar wrote:Where are European scouts looking. We hardly ever look abroad. Steven Defour the only exception i can think of and we only managed to get him because he is a crock. Look at Leicester when they signed Mahrez and Kante. Kante was playing in the lower leagues of France if i remember rightly i may be wrong. Surely we should be bringing in more foreign talent. Why do we persist in only looking at championship players is beyond me.
For every diamond there are 10 duds. Everyone just seems to gloss over them. We only have to look at the likes of Nimani and Dane Richards to realise being brought in from abroad isn’t any guarantee they can play. Jansen at Spurs, Slimani at Leicester, Osvaldo at Southampton, pretty much any foreign player Sunderland ever signed. We’re not a club who can sign 5 players and hope 1 of them does the business but we can more easily do our homework on a British based player. It isn’t like signing a new scout on footy manager and automatically getting background on a whole region of players. It takes years and the scouting side has clearly been neglected for some time now. But, we have to put our faith in Dyche, Garlick and Rigg that they are putting a structure in place that can open that market to us.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Why on earth are we still having this discussion 10 years after we first got into the Premier League and after 5 seasons at this level ?

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:52 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Only dodgy politicians.
“Who needs dodgy European politicians when we’ve got our own dodgy politicians?” I hear you shout.

:lol:
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:53 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:The club reeks of small town small time mentality from boardroom to fans. Little old Burnley line is incredibly tiresome and it has held us back for far too long.
This.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:57 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:The club reeks of small town small time mentality from boardroom to fans. Little old Burnley line is incredibly tiresome and it has held us back for far too long.
Held us back?

We've had more success in recent times than the vast majority of clubs could ever dream of.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Realism that's all. And most successful period in my life time.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:04 pm

it's a balance, no doubt there is better value per talent ratio abroad but you only have to look at Hudders and especially Fulham of how buying too many players can be the worse thing for a squad. I think our scouting/recruitment has let us down but we don't really know how much Dyche has been really given to recruit - I would suggest a lot of what he has been given has been utterly wasted though

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Spijed wrote:Held us back?

We've had more success in recent times than the vast majority of clubs could ever dream of.

And what did we do when we got that success? Want out of Europe and a return to the championship because we would 'win more games' whilst harping back to the 4th division days and god forbid the orient game. Still at least we have a club :roll:

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:12 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:And what did we do when we got that success? Want out of Europe and a return to the championship because we would 'win more games' whilst harping back to the 4th division days and god forbid the orient game. Still at least we have a club :roll:
Aside from the so called Big six clubs what can any other club hope to achieve in football, aside from a once-in-a-lifetime title like Leicester?

Last season three of the more established clubs dropped like a stone from the Prem.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:22 pm

Spijed wrote:Aside from the so called Big six clubs what can any other club hope to achieve in football, aside from a once-in-a-lifetime title like Leicester?

Last season three of the more established clubs dropped like a stone from the Prem.

Maybe see signs of progression in a football club? Improvement in the squad that did so well last season? Maybe win a cup or 2? To me the whole point in being in football is to want to be the best and dream of being the best no matter how unlikely it may seem. That's why I really do not understand wanting your club to be in a lower division and just settling for being little old Burnley because we once nearly went out of business. That kind of thinking will see you in the same division as going for it a bit more and it not coming off anyway, but at least with the latter we would have tried.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:People in Burnley don’t like Europeans.
Very true. Burnley voted leave you know

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:27 pm

When it comes to recruitment I feel we have gone as far as we can with Dyche's stubborn, British players only policy. Also players will think twice about signing for us after seeing the lack of opportunity given to the likes of Gibson and Vydra.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:28 pm

The Club has not progressed in any meaningful way in the pitch since last season. That is negligence on the part of those running it. Our first team has stood still and we are paying for it with a likely relegation.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

bartonscigar
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by bartonscigar » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Could not agree more, ive stopped going on recently due to moving into a new house and settling in. In fact i haven't been on since our fans were singing its coming home to Aberdeen fans in the europa league. No ambition to better ourselves further. The mentality seems to be '' this is as good as it gets''. Well i disagree wigan and portsmouth won the FA cup, yes i am well aware of their plight since, but football is about winning trophies. Give me an FA cup win and a day to remember over a Premier League relegation fight every season any day. When i am on my death bed i wont remember staying in the prem every season as a remarkable achievement, i would however remember winning a notable trophy for the rest of my life.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:34 pm

jrgbfc wrote:When it comes to recruitment I feel we have gone as far as we can with Dyche's stubborn, British players only policy. Also players will think twice about signing for us after seeing the lack of opportunity given to the likes of Gibson and Vydra.
Yes but thats why they brought Rigg in. Dyche lost some good players for various reasons such as Barton, Trippier
Ings and really Marney. If it is he who.picked replacements he would only ever look at what he knows and what the club could afford in fees and wages and that would be in the UK. So Dyche cant really be blamed. As mentioned above the club ought to have put better recruitment in place long ago. Having said that I understand the archaic training facilities put off some players. Under Dyche that has been superbly rectified

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:41 pm

Brilliant training facilities, a highly paid and experienced "technical director" in place and a vastly improved youth system playing at a very high level. And all rather too late as we'll be in the championship by July!

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:47 pm

I’ve just had a count up of all the players Dyche has bought down the years, he’s spent roughly £127.5m on players since he’s been at the club, so this, “Dyche hasn’t had money to spend”, is a myth.

Paddy1882
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Paddy1882 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Some of if not most of Dyches successful signings have been bargains such as Heaton, arfield, Keane, Barnes etc.... when he spends the big money (in Burnleys world) they are the ones who have proved not as successful and unfortunately for him they are the ones who people focus on because of the price tag, hopefully in the long run Rigg improves that.