Wood

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Wood

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:21 am

Can’t see why some are so critical of him. Hes a constant goal threat, even if he doesn’t get involved in play so much and looses the ball a bit. His movement is good and generally he puts away his chances. He’s strong and quick and yesterday won a lot more than Barnes. Needs better service though...
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Re: Wood

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:33 am

Wolves couldn't cope with him today - he made many important touches and runs, being creative as well as scoring. As good as.
This user liked this post: simonclaret

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:39 am

Seems to be a confidence player. He got an early boost yesterday with his involvement in the goal so for the rest of the game his touch, movement and effort was good especially considering how little Burnley had the ball.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:45 am

He wasnt good today, but it wasn't his fault. I've said many times before we have to play to his strengths, and hoofing the ball long doesn't do that.
We were **** first half of the season. Post Everton we got the ball on the deck, played triangles, got the ball into the corners, pulled the ball back from there, and mixed it up with some clever balls through the channels from Westwood. We did that and Barnes and Wood thrived.
Post Spurs and we've gone back to the rubbish before Xmas. It isn't Wood or Barnes fault, just the way it goes, but SD needs to give some time to showing replays of those post Everton games where we proved we can create chances, and take them, and stop this predictable long hoof crap.

Joe14
Been Liked: 249 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:55 am

At least the offside rule had finally been explained to him.
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:01 am

Thought he was frustrating today.
Boli was a few inches bigger than Barnes but for most of the game we seemed to hit it long towards Barnes - either Wood should have swapped or we should have been aiming for Wood a lot more than we were.
I thought Barnes and Wood both tried hard today and they both also had some really good touches but generally both sets of centre backs were in control today.

Wood is definitely a confidence player and I agree a lot of the time we just don’t play to his strengths. He is far better at running the channels than you would expect for his size but we basically only have one player in Westwood who has the quality to put it in the right area. Lowton can do this and of course Trippier was brilliant at this with Ings.
We look such a better team when we play in this way - nobody is expecting us to play like Man City - nobody can - but we do have the ability to play nicer and more effective football than we often do.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:01 am

I think people have a go at him because he has 1 good game in 5 and is totally anonymous is the other 4 games apart from being constantly offside.

Statistically the worse offender in the league for being offside which in turn often stops our attack

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:03 am

Excellent player. Held the ball well, wasn’t offside once and made that decisive run to get us in front.
These 2 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR SussexDon1inIreland

MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:05 am

Thought he was good today. His run for the first goal was very clever, albeit it was a poor finish and we got a bit lucky but his run in McNeil’s goal is great too, creates the space for him to shoot into. I think he’d be better with a better partner.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:05 am

jdrobbo wrote:Excellent player. Held the ball well, wasn’t offside once and made that decisive run to get us in front.
He was, in the 93rd minute (you’ll have missed it ;-)), just to annoy this board.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:58 am

MDWat wrote:He was, in the 93rd minute (you’ll have missed it ;-)), just to annoy this board.
93 rd minute?he would have been long gone by then :)

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:58 am

Nearer 91st tbh.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:05 am

I think everyone knows that I'm not his biggest fan, simply because his contribution to the overall game, IMO, is pretty negligible.

I will put it this way :- If, per chance, we were relegated, would you be concerned that we won't be able to hold on to him amid fears that other clubs, in the Premier league will be after his signature ?
This user liked this post: claretfern

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:06 am

MDWat wrote:Thought he was good today. His run for the first goal was very clever, albeit it was a poor finish and we got a bit lucky but his run in McNeil’s goal is great too, creates the space for him to shoot into. I think he’d be better with a better partner.
I'd be very interested in seeing Wood paired with McNeil in behind him at some point before too long. Both goals yesterday showed they've got a pretty good understanding and on paper it's a decent combination in a 4-4-1-1.

As for Wood, he's a bit of a confidence player but he adds mobility and athleticism to our front line, and he makes good goalscoring runs. His link up play is a bit hit or miss but yesterday he was pretty good in that respect.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8427 times
Has Liked: 18096 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:12 am

I think Chris (or someone at BFC) must read this forum.....

Someone mentioned running a book on how many off sides Chris would be involved in... yesterday.

Not many I am surprised to add .... Innit Brilliant
This user liked this post: alwaysaclaret

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:43 am

Bosscat wrote:I think Chris (or someone at BFC) must read this forum.....

Someone mentioned running a book on how many off sides Chris would be involved in... yesterday.

Not many I am surprised to add .... Innit Brilliant
The club reader of this forum Is Jeff Hendrick,hes mightly upset with quite a lot of you posters on here.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:48 am

Funkydrummer wrote:I think everyone knows that I'm not his biggest fan, simply because his contribution to the overall game, IMO, is pretty negligible.

I will put it this way :- If, per chance, we were relegated, would you be concerned that we won't be able to hold on to him amid fears that other clubs, in the Premier league will be after his signature ?
Yeah I'd be concerned.

Last season proved he can score given the service, 10 league goals in 24 league games incase you'd forgotten and he had a decent lay off through injury too.
We all thought he was great back then as well, now he's being picked apart by several on here typically.

This season he's not had the same service really, but 17 league goals to date in the PL would show he can find the back of the net, along with the other stuff he contributes.
There are definitely worse strikers in the PL then him.

Iloveyoubrady

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:48 am

Funkydrummer wrote:
I think other premier league clubs would definitely be after any of Wood, Barnes and even Vydra?

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:49 am

Funkydrummer wrote:I think everyone knows that I'm not his biggest fan, simply because his contribution to the overall game, IMO, is pretty negligible.

When you look at how many goals Wood and Barnes score, compared to the amount of chances we create as a team, compared to most other teams in the Prem, then I think both of them would be sought after. Their conversion rate must be as high, if not higher, than any but the top, top strikers. In fact scratch that Salah misses loads of chances. If we played every week, as we played those games post Everton - pre Newcastle, they would get a hatful.
We play to our strengths, not Wood's, and our biggest need in the transfer window is someone to complement Westwood, or a fit Defour type to start playing football on the ground.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Tricky Trevor

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:10 pm

Iloveyoubrady wrote:I think other premier league clubs would definitely be after any of Wood, Barnes and even Vydra?
Brighton and Southampton and Cardiff and Huddersfield and Fulham (I know the last two will be in the Championship next season). Still that is a quarter odf this division.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:52 pm

He’s comfortably the best striker we have. For the last two seasons generally if he’s off form we don’t do well, last years winless run when he was injured and this year pre Christmas when he was off form goes to prove that. Hes offside a lot because he knows he isn’t rapid and needs to play on the edge to have a chance of getting in behind teams, there will no doubt be times he actually isn’t offside, and I’d rather this than him wait and never get in.

A portion of our fans will always knock him because he doesn’t have the get out of jail free card (much like Jeff and David Jones) of throwing himself about into opponents and tackles the likes of Barnes and Marney did.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:16 pm

claretspice wrote:I'd be very interested in seeing Wood paired with McNeil in behind him at some point before too long. Both goals yesterday showed they've got a pretty good understanding and on paper it's a decent combination in a 4-4-1-1.

As for Wood, he's a bit of a confidence player but he adds mobility and athleticism to our front line, and he makes good goalscoring runs. His link up play is a bit hit or miss but yesterday he was pretty good in that respect.
Yes he and McNeil have clicked at Brighton and there was almost a repeat of that move yesterday when Wood ran across the line opening the gap. But this time McNeil did the business. And how. We certainly need to re-assess what we are doing up front but badly need one or two midfield players with some guile and strength. I dread to think of us if Westwood got injured.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:03 pm

He covered a lot more than usual, especially late on.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:05 pm

I’d have thought he’d be first in the close season clearout?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:06 pm

I guess I'll never get an apology from brain cell about me suggesting we sign him.

Along with Taylor he's been a successful signing and we wouldn't be in the Prem without them.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:07 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:I’d have thought he’d be first in the close season clearout?
If we go down, Leeds will be wanting him back. They'll be a division above.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:22 pm

The offside thing. We've already lost at least one goal (Watford) and 2 points because the lino didn't give him the benefit.
That is the pay-off for being continually offside.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:24 pm

I can’t understand all the stick Wood gets on here , he’s the best striker at the club

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:27 pm

Steve1956 wrote:The club reader of this forum Is Jeff Hendrick,hes mightly upset with quite a lot of you posters on here.

Well phook off then Jeff.. :D

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:07 pm

He's effectively a 1 in 3 striker at the PL level.

For a team of our standing - that's absolutely ******* brilliant.

Yes he gets caught offside - but his job is to run tee channels and get in behind - he's not playing with his back to goal and has to play on the edge (as he isn't as quick as say Andre Gray) to be successful.

If he didn't play on the edge he wouldn't have scored that goal that he contributed to yesterday (imo was his goal not an OG).

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:13 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:He wasnt good today, but it wasn't his fault. I've said many times before we have to play to his strengths, and hoofing the ball long doesn't do that.
We were **** first half of the season. Post Everton we got the ball on the deck, played triangles, got the ball into the corners, pulled the ball back from there, and mixed it up with some clever balls through the channels from Westwood. We did that and Barnes and Wood thrived.
Post Spurs and we've gone back to the rubbish before Xmas. It isn't Wood or Barnes fault, just the way it goes, but SD needs to give some time to showing replays of those post Everton games where we proved we can create chances, and take them, and stop this predictable long hoof crap.
This just about sums it up. Wood is best when we play it on the deck.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:40 pm

Probably something to do with this

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Blackrod wrote:This just about sums it up. Wood is best when we play it on the deck.
Of course he is. That's why he played so well at Leeds as they often kept it on the deck. Vydra would be bloody brilliant with Wood, but it looks like Dyche doesn't rate our midfield and so wishes to bypass it with the longer ball.

I think we stay up, but come one Sean, let's move with the times.

Iloveyoubrady

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:48 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Of course he is. That's why he played so well at Leeds as they often kept it on the deck. Vydra would be bloody brilliant with Wood, but it looks like Dyche doesn't rate our midfield and so wishes to bypass it with the longer ball.

I think we stay up, but come one Sean, let's move with the times.
100%. Imagine how we could play with the likes of McNeil,Brady, JBG, Vydra and wood with the ball ON THE FLOOR

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:51 am

CoolClaret wrote:He's effectively a 1 in 3 striker at the PL level.

For a team of our standing - that's absolutely ******* brilliant.

Yes he gets caught offside - but his job is to run tee channels and get in behind - he's not playing with his back to goal and has to play on the edge (as he isn't as quick as say Andre Gray) to be successful.

If he didn't play on the edge he wouldn't have scored that goal that he contributed to yesterday (imo was his goal not an OG).
His shot hit the post so cant see how it could be given to him as a goal! If he had Barnes’ enthusiasm and less offsides he’d be better loved.