Facebook and it's effects on otherwise normal people.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Facebook and it's effects on otherwise normal people.

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:45 pm

I was pondering today about what Facebook does to people. It seems to turn many into the most self-centred and egotistical obsessives. What with selfies (look at me - another picture of me - look at what I'm eating/wearing/doing etc). What got me thinking was a post by someone who I am friends with, a nice enough bloke, musician, intelligent and general good chap, he posted this morning about how he'd never watched an episode of Game of Thrones and never would, followed by umpteen other 'sheep' declaring the same thing. Now, if someone doesn't want to watch it (or any other programme for that matter - the programme isn't really important) then that is up to them, my point is why do people feel the need to proclaim to all and sundry that they don't like something that they have, by their own admission, never seen and by default therefore have no qualification for making that judgement. Someone even posted that they had watched 'a couple of episodes' but couldn't get into it after saying they had 'never seen an episode'.

Forget Game of Thrones though, my thinking is that there is a kind of snobbery that says 'I won't watch/listen to/read something because it is popular and then I'm going to post it on Facebook and let everyone know I am special because I don't like it'. I suppose if someone thinks that everyone wants to know where they are, what they are eating or wearing, what they are doing and who they are doing it with all the time then this follows logically.
I just cannot understand why anyone would feel the need to post things about that which they supposedly have no interest in just to show everyone they have no interest in it.

I suppose my interest in human nature just gets the better of me sometimes.

Baffled of Baxenden.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: Facebook and it's effects on otherwise normal people.

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:49 pm

Deleted mine recently because it's just full of stuff like that and watching people bicker over the same old stuff is boring, bit like here on certain subjects.

To me the most amusing were women saying they were done with the last fella and now their kids were coming first ....clearly the kids were dropped to 2nd place when a new guy was on the scene :roll:
This user liked this post: houseboy

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:55 pm

A friend on Facebook posted this the other day on her wall: 'Do something today that your future self will thank you for'.

So I unfriended her.
These 7 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Bosscat Chester Perry BertiesBeehole CJW DCWat Dazzler

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:05 pm

To be fair houseboy you are here on a social media platform seemingly feeling the need to proclaim to all and sundry that you don't like the way people on a different social media platform feel the need to proclaim to all and sundry when they don't like something

I barely use Facebook but if people enjoy using it and posting selfies and sharing their views then good for them its not doing me any harm. Bet there's plenty of people on Facebook would think its pretty sad that loads of people come on a messageboard bickering and obsessing about a football team.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:09 pm

I think I'm one of those people you are talking about. My relationship with Facebook changes, the way you use it and who you are connected with dictates you the information you receive.

On reflection, I used to collect as many friends as possible - all my former school friends, people from the local pubs, people I've worked with, the people I share common interests with, Burnley fans and people I've met abroad. I had a feed delivering me content from people from all walks of life and I discovered something... Most people are morons and morons like broad entertainment.

So no, I haven't watched Britains Got Talent, X Factor or Peter Kays regurgitation of some crap or that fat fella doing Carpool Karaoke. Because it's ****, it's all **** and you're a moron, just like the rest of them who like it, that's including your stupid wife and thicko kids. Yes, we know you like Baby Shark, use your ******* brain for crying out loud. Oh, you like Adam Sandler films do you? You like his films because you can 'switch your brain off' and 'mong out' - you're a disgrace.

Now, I cleared my Facebook friends, removed 99% of the school friends because I never spoke with them anyway, people from pubs I don't speak to: purged, most Burnley fans are muppets, all gone. Now my facebook feed is an echo-chamber. It's very anti-Trump, anti-Tory and Social Justice topics, which isn't good either.

For the record, I haven't watched Game of Thrones :)
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:10 pm

houseboy wrote:I was pondering today about what Facebook does to people. It seems to turn many into the most self-centred and egotistical obsessives. What with selfies (look at me - another picture of me - look at what I'm eating/wearing/doing etc). What got me thinking was a post by someone who I am friends with, a nice enough bloke, musician, intelligent and general good chap, he posted this morning about how he'd never watched an episode of Game of Thrones and never would, followed by umpteen other 'sheep' declaring the same thing. Now, if someone doesn't want to watch it (or any other programme for that matter - the programme isn't really important) then that is up to them, my point is why do people feel the need to proclaim to all and sundry that they don't like something that they have, by their own admission, never seen and by default therefore have no qualification for making that judgement. Someone even posted that they had watched 'a couple of episodes' but couldn't get into it after saying they had 'never seen an episode'.

Forget Game of Thrones though, my thinking is that there is a kind of snobbery that says 'I won't watch/listen to/read something because it is popular and then I'm going to post it on Facebook and let everyone know I am special because I don't like it'. I suppose if someone thinks that everyone wants to know where they are, what they are eating or wearing, what they are doing and who they are doing it with all the time then this follows logically.
I just cannot understand why anyone would feel the need to post things about that which they supposedly have no interest in just to show everyone they have no interest in it.

I suppose my interest in human nature just gets the better of me sometimes.

Baffled of Baxenden.
When GoT came out I didn't watch it, several in the Pub said "awe you have to watch, it you love things like LotR etc its not just "that sort of thing with Tits" but well scripted etc..."
I didn't believe them I just dismissed it as hype, and said if I wanted to see that sort of thing there is always the internet....

When my stepdaughter was ill my wife went south for a couple of weeks and left me to my devices.
Nowt on TV so I looked at catch up TV and thought bugger it will see what they are on about and watched the 1st episode on "Sky Box sets" by the time the wife came home I had watched the 1st 3 series.... I was hooked. The intrigue and storylines are brilliant and the nudity and violence just seem to disappear.

I have caught up and now am awaiting the final series with bated breath and I can't wait....

But as far as facebook ... not for me.
The wife is on it to keep up with grandchildren etc but I don't bother.

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:13 pm

Facebook, made by idiots for idiots.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:23 pm

How do you know if someone's not on Facebook?

They tell you at the first opportunity
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank CJW

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Deleted post
Last edited by mkmel on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:26 pm

It makes them lose the ability to use apostrophes correctly.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:27 pm

Here is Stewart Lee on Facebook about not seeing Game of Thrones

https://www.facebook.com/bbccomedy/vide ... 2530246778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: joey13

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:27 pm

Haven’t had facebook for about 5 years now. I started hating everybody that I actually like in person.

I only have Instagram for photography related stuff and don’t follow/followed by anybody I know in person. I have no interest in your stupid cat, stupid dog or muppet of a child.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:29 pm

Facebook, like many things on the Internet, all depends on how you use it. If you simply use it as a way of keeping up with people you LIKE, then it's a perfectly useful tool.

The problem is, so many people don't use it like that. They use it to make themselves look more popular. Which is why a lot of people feel worse when they log off compared to when they logged in - because they see people only posting/highlighting the best bits of their life - so it makes them feel other people's world is so much better than theirs.

A rule of thumb - anybody with close to 1000 friends is one of those people. Unless you're a celeb, there's absolutely no way you keep in touch with 1000 people. You're there to make yourself look popular.

Another thing that gets on my wick... the "Share this if you agree" crap to grow their page. No - if I agree with it, I'll nod my head.
Last edited by FactualFrank on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These 3 users liked this post: CJW houseboy Dazzler

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:33 pm

thatdberight wrote:It makes them lose the ability to use apostrophes correctly.
I have never needed facebook to do that ;)
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy Juan Tanamera

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:36 pm

I've never joined and I've never been on it and I've never ever felt I was missing anything and recently I seem to be hearing loads of "users" saying they're leaving it as they've apparently seen it's just a load of fatuous bollo***!

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:40 pm

I was watching a Ricky Gervais stand up show on Netflix recently (strange how your tastes differ as you age as I used to hate him) and he said society peaked with the introduction of social media. I fully agree with him. As FF mentions it does have its uses and can be handy for keeping in touch with long distance friends but the negatives far outweigh it's positives and with it being around 11 years old we will soon have a generation of adults who know no different, as if it hasn't turned society into the most self centered egotistical society ever seen already.
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy Dazzler

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:42 pm

never used it or feel the need to use it. I'm a man of mystery and I like it that way.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2691 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:55 pm

It's dogsh1t...I got shut 2 years ago.

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:56 pm

FactualFrank wrote: Another thing that gets on my wick... the "Share this if you agree" crap to grow their page. No - if I agree with it, I'll nod my head.
Similar to this, I gave up on my Grandma on Facebook, she'd share horror stories about people visiting the 'local gas station' or the 'grocery store' or a story that featured on 'Channel 9 News' - the usual story goes that its some gang flashing their car lights and then mugging single ladies, chalking symbols on fences or leaving bits of paper on your back window to steal cars when you get out.

I direct her to Snopes, or post a link to show her it's not true, but her opinion is - 'its better off letting people know, for just in case it is true'. And she continues to share the nonsense. She can't comprehend the bigger picture.

I honestly believe theres a generation of people, particularly the over 50's who can tell a lie when its spoken to them, but if they read it on their computer or if its packaged as news or delivered by a supposed authority - they swallow it up.

The amount of times by Dad has shared something from the Southend News Network and then backtracked that he knew all along that its parody, it's embarrassing. He only reads the the headline and it makes him angry. It's frightening.

Lord Beamish
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:57 pm

I think that Houseboy is more annoyed at the idea of people not liking Game of Thrones.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:58 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:To be fair houseboy you are here on a social media platform seemingly feeling the need to proclaim to all and sundry that you don't like the way people on a different social media platform feel the need to proclaim to all and sundry when they don't like something

I barely use Facebook but if people enjoy using it and posting selfies and sharing their views then good for them its not doing me any harm. Bet there's plenty of people on Facebook would think its pretty sad that loads of people come on a messageboard bickering and obsessing about a football team.
It took just four posts to get the one I knew was inevitable. Of course it's social media, just like this, but I'm not being critical of the people who do it, as I said (quite clearly I think) it just baffles me. As I was writing the post I was thinking that someone would inevitably compare the two and I tried to think who it would be - your name was one of the ones that came up. I think that might say a tad more about you than me.

My post was an observation, the ones I was on about on FB are personal statements. If people want to do that and post endless pictures of 'me' then let them, that's okay if it makes them happy. i just wonder WHY they do it, that's all.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:59 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:Similar to this, I gave up on my Grandma on Facebook, she'd share horror stories about people visiting the 'local gas station' or the 'grocery store' or a story that featured on 'Channel 9 News' - the usual story goes that its some gang flashing their car lights and then mugging single ladies, chalking symbols on fences or leaving bits of paper on your back window to steal cars when you get out.

I direct her to Snopes, or post a link to show her it's not true, but her opinion is - 'its better off letting people know, for just in case it is true'. And she continues to share the nonsense. She can't comprehend the bigger picture.

I honestly believe theres a generation of people, particularly the over 50's who can tell a lie when its spoken to them, but if they read it on their computer or if its packaged as news or delivered by a supposed authority - they swallow it up.

The amount of times by Dad has shared something from the Southend News Network and then backtracked that he knew all along that its parody, it's embarrassing. He only reads the the headline and it makes him angry. It's frightening.
Don't get me wrong, if I think something is informative, I'll share it - traffic updates, something has been lost in the area etc - but not because a page wants to boost it's 'likes'.

Another thing - those "98% of people won't get this correct" posts, and then show a straightforward puzzle. They're annoying too, yet Facebook allow them.
This user liked this post: Dazzler

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:01 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:I think I'm one of those people you are talking about. My relationship with Facebook changes, the way you use it and who you are connected with dictates you the information you receive.

On reflection, I used to collect as many friends as possible - all my former school friends, people from the local pubs, people I've worked with, the people I share common interests with, Burnley fans and people I've met abroad. I had a feed delivering me content from people from all walks of life and I discovered something... Most people are morons and morons like broad entertainment.

So no, I haven't watched Britains Got Talent, X Factor or Peter Kays regurgitation of some crap or that fat fella doing Carpool Karaoke. Because it's ****, it's all **** and you're a moron, just like the rest of them who like it, that's including your stupid wife and thicko kids. Yes, we know you like Baby Shark, use your ******* brain for crying out loud. Oh, you like Adam Sandler films do you? You like his films because you can 'switch your brain off' and 'mong out' - you're a disgrace.

Now, I cleared my Facebook friends, removed 99% of the school friends because I never spoke with them anyway, people from pubs I don't speak to: purged, most Burnley fans are muppets, all gone. Now my facebook feed is an echo-chamber. It's very anti-Trump, anti-Tory and Social Justice topics, which isn't good either.

For the record, I haven't watched Game of Thrones :)
Very good - so do you like recreational drugs?

Lord Beamish
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:02 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:Similar to this, I gave up on my Grandma on Facebook, she'd share horror stories about people visiting the 'local gas station' or the 'grocery store' or a story that featured on 'Channel 9 News' - the usual story goes that its some gang flashing their car lights and then mugging single ladies, chalking symbols on fences or leaving bits of paper on your back window to steal cars when you get out.

Come on CTU. Everybody knows that the Baby Boom Generation are largely thick as pigshit.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Bosscat wrote:When GoT came out I didn't watch it, several in the Pub said "awe you have to watch, it you love things like LotR etc its not just "that sort of thing with Tits" but well scripted etc..."
I didn't believe them I just dismissed it as hype, and said if I wanted to see that sort of thing there is always the internet....

When my stepdaughter was ill my wife went south for a couple of weeks and left me to my devices.
Nowt on TV so I looked at catch up TV and thought bugger it will see what they are on about and watched the 1st episode on "Sky Box sets" by the time the wife came home I had watched the 1st 3 series.... I was hooked. The intrigue and storylines are brilliant and the nudity and violence just seem to disappear.

I have caught up and now am awaiting the final series with bated breath and I can't wait....

But as far as facebook ... not for me.
The wife is on it to keep up with grandchildren etc but I don't bother.
Actually most people think it's about violence and dragons and tits but the fact is, as you have found out, most if it is overwhelmingly 'talky' and political and,as you say, very intelligently scripted. There is also an underlying modern humour about it as well, with the occasional sarcastic one-liner that makes me laugh out loud (usually delivered by Tyrion).
This user liked this post: Bosscat

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:10 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Facebook, like many things on the Internet, all depends on how you use it. If you simply use it as a way of keeping up with people you LIKE, then it's a perfectly useful tool.

The problem is, so many people don't use it like that. They use it to make themselves look more popular. Which is why a lot of people feel worse when they log off compared to when they logged in - because they see people only posting/highlighting the best bits of their life - so it makes them feel other people's world is so much better than theirs.

A rule of thumb - anybody with close to 1000 friends is one of those people. Unless you're a celeb, there's absolutely no way you keep in touch with 1000 people. You're there to make yourself look popular.

Another thing that gets on my wick... the "Share this if you agree" crap to grow their page. No - if I agree with it, I'll nod my head.
Top post and my thoughts entirely.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:11 pm

houseboy wrote:Actually most people think it's about violence and dragons and tits but the fact is, as you have found out, most if it is overwhelmingly 'talky' and political
I won't bother with it then :D
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy Bosscat

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:13 pm

houseboy wrote:It took just four posts to get the one I knew was inevitable. Of course it's social media, just like this, but I'm not being critical of the people who do it, as I said (quite clearly I think) it just baffles me. As I was writing the post I was thinking that someone would inevitably compare the two and I tried to think who it would be - your name was one of the ones that came up. I think that might say a tad more about you than me.

My post was an observation, the ones I was on about on FB are personal statements. If people want to do that and post endless pictures of 'me' then let them, that's okay if it makes them happy. i just wonder WHY they do it, that's all.
I get where you're coming from but just seemed a bit judgemental in the way you described some of the people. I rarely use it and can see why lots of people don't but it baffles me that people (not aimed at you) seem so opinionated and negative about something they admit to not using and not caring about.

Each to their own but posting selfies or wanting to tell the world what you think about Game of Thrones seems a lot more normal and balanced to me than getting excited about making up song lyrics about a bloke who plays football or getting worked up by football fans from Brighton

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:I think that Houseboy is more annoyed at the idea of people not liking Game of Thrones.
Ha ha! No LB. Game of Thrones is an okay TV programme but I'm not manic about it bud, it just happens to be one of those things that people love to proclaim they hate and wear it like a badge, like X-Factor and Britains Got Talent. The only reason I mentioned it at all is because that was the post that set me thinking. The post is really about peoples 'snobbery' about the popular. I have a long time very good friend, love him, we were in a band together years ago (he's a drummer) and we still keep in touch (as it happens never on FB), but he is the most awful musical snob and discounts most of anything that's popular as rubbish. We agree to differ and laugh.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:19 pm

I never used to be on facebook but when I moved over to yank land I signed up to keep in touch with a few people - at least I know what they are having for tea

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:33 pm

houseboy wrote:Actually most people think it's about violence and dragons and tits but the fact is, as you have found out, most if it is overwhelmingly 'talky' and political and,as you say, very intelligently scripted. There is also an underlying modern humour about it as well, with the occasional sarcastic one-liner that makes me laugh out loud (usually delivered by Tyrion).
Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister gets all the best lines
:lol: :lol:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I get where you're coming from but just seemed a bit judgemental in the way you described some of the people. I rarely use it and can see why lots of people don't but it baffles me that people (not aimed at you) seem so opinionated and negative about something they admit to not using and not caring about.

Each to their own but posting selfies or wanting to tell the world what you think about Game of Thrones seems a lot more normal and balanced to me than getting excited about making up song lyrics about a bloke who plays football or getting worked up by football fans from Brighton
I know what you mean bud. No I wasn't being judgemental, sorry if it came across that way. I think you are saying the same thing from a slightly different angle. The general thrust is why post about something you don't like if it doesn't affect you and why be 'snobbish' about something just because it is popular. I think (and I could be wrong) that it is all about insecurity sometimes. We are all insecure occasionally (me included) but with some it appears to manifest itself on FB as the 'me me me' syndrome. It can be a very useful tool and has proved to be many times over the years, I just think it makes people a little.....self-obsessed?
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:36 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I never used to be on facebook but when I moved over to yank land I signed up to keep in touch with a few people - at least I know what they are having for tea
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The right attitude I think bud.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:38 pm

The weirdest thing about Facebook is people being friends with someone they don't know.

Not sure which is the weirder of the 2, asking someone to be your friend you don't know or them accepting.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:33 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:The weirdest thing about Facebook is people being friends with someone they don't know.
Not sure which is the weirder of the 2, asking someone to be your friend you don't know or them accepting.
If you think Facebook is strange, Twitter is having a conversation with yourself, hoping somebody else will join in.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:37 pm

I signed up for Facebook, years ago, to secure Toby Carvery vouchers! That's what I know about Facebook, other than my daughter is a big user.

What i find depressing is vloggers who make videos about nothing in particular and purport to make a living.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:48 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Another thing - those "98% of people won't get this correct" posts, and then show a straightforward puzzle. They're annoying too, yet Facebook allow them.
How else are these apps going to scrape loads of personal details without appealing to people's ego?

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:53 pm

claret2018 wrote:How do you know if someone's not on Facebook?

They are educated and reserved with self respect. Not part of the big brother celebrity wannabe fan club They have skype and whatsapp to talk to family ?
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:55 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:The weirdest thing about Facebook is people being friends with someone they don't know.

To be fair, I don’t understand why they called it that - as soon as it went global Facebook should’ve changed it to ‘connection’ or ‘link’.

I’ve ‘unfriended’ people because of their lack of activity and cleared out in a purge. Then months later it’s brought up when I see them somewhere and they take it personally. And I think that because your listed as ‘friends’
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:56 pm

F@cebook has been good for me, as a lot of my friends live in Canada, so has been an easy way to stay in touch. With every modern innovation you have to take control of it for your own benefit.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:18 pm

I don't do Facebook. Don't like a data mining aspect of it and a whole heap of other stuff.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Just remembered. Someone we know says they have over 1200 'friends'. <sadface>.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Just as an aside,what effect does in have on otherwise non normal people ?

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:34 pm

I quite like Facebook....it keeps me in touch with loads of people I dislike.
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets Bosscat

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Like anything - has its pros and cons.

People take it way too seriously and as above if you delete people / don't add them / delete them they take it personally.

I like it as a way of keeping in touch with friends and family. Many friends I probably never would have otherwise kept in touch with. Following stuff I am interested in. Using it as a bit of a diary and storing pictures. Love looking back at old pictures and even posts. As its so old now quite funny to look back on some of the stuff you engaged in or posted. Also good for looking back at pictures of friends no longer with us which you would never otherwise see again.

Has its downsides. And plenty of people have fallen out over it. And plenty of people post things that are way too serious or take it way too serious.

But contrary to some, I think it actually shows the true side of people not the fake side. Often unintentionally mind!

Its a ballache to delete people. But I never accept connections from people I dont know. And try to keep it down to people I would or do actually speak to and actually like.

Makes me laugh when people take it personally though. Its not real life.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:52 pm

If anyone didn’t think it was weird should do after watching this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aDycZH0CA4I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’ve used this to help teach kids about e-safety.
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 pm

conyoviejo wrote:Just as an aside,what effect does in have on otherwise non normal people ?
It turns them into neo-normals. They start posting photos of their kids/puppy/cat. They suddenly have 1000s of friends who they have never clapped eyes on. They post Facebook memes and get involved with the latest 'challenge' and share 'look at me' videos chucking icy water on themselves or necking large quantities of alcohol. It makes them dull.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:53 pm

brexit_aggregateIQ_ads.jpg
brexit_aggregateIQ_ads.jpg (188 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera Billy Balfour

Joe14
Been Liked: 249 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Bertiebeehead wrote:Facebook, made by idiots for idiots.
Made by now very rich idiots.

Most of my customers come from FB so it helps pay my bills.
Last edited by Joe14 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 10008 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 pm

You'll die tomorrow if you scroll past without saying amen.